Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2030190 - 04/17/18 02:20 PM KU spring game cancelled
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Due to Weis' inability to create a full roster in 2014, we are still being punished by DB. It's another year of Kansas football!!!

#2030191 - 04/17/18 03:57 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The scheduled games cannot be canceled or does DB not know that?

#2030266 - 04/20/18 01:54 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I truly thought this was a joke. What a bunch of shite. Jesus, just cancel the program.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/apr/17/ku-football-will-have-open-practice-instead-tradit/

#2030410 - 04/28/18 08:40 AM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Seven year plan to resume the spring game in Memorial stadium. Don't plan on it.

#2030413 - 04/28/18 10:46 AM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Wonder if they will do 7 on 7 drills today. Better then nothing.

#2030414 - 04/28/18 12:58 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Any way to watch it if you don’t have spectrum? I tried on espn3 but it’s blacked out

#2030415 - 04/28/18 01:58 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

The TV broadcast is mainly the TV guys talking to former players and a few current players. There isn't a whole lot of actual practice coverage outside of a few plays when Kendrick was in. Tait does a better breakdown of practice in his daily articles then the TV broadcast is doing so far.

#2030421 - 04/29/18 09:32 AM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

“I think everyone gets excited for a game atmosphere, but we’re just worried about getting better,” Kendrick said. “It’s another opportunity to get better. People can come and watch. These guys, they’d love to put on a show, and I’d love to put on a show, too.”-QB Kendrick quote about cancelled spring game.

Thanks, David Beaty!!

#2030422 - 04/29/18 02:55 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: INation]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: INation
The TV broadcast is mainly the TV guys talking to former players and a few current players. There isn't a whole lot of actual practice coverage outside of a few plays when Kendrick was in. Tait does a better breakdown of practice in his daily articles then the TV broadcast is doing so far.

That TV broadcast was worthless. They showed very little of the practice and it was just a bunch of interviews with former players. I guess that is what happens when you cancel a scrimmage and substitute it with a practice.

I can't wait to get these Zenger and Beaty years behind us.

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/29/18 03:48 PM)

#2030423 - 04/29/18 06:02 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: INation]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills

To your emboldened point, the following was included in Smith's article on the public practice which included 7 on 7 and some 11 on 11 stuff.
" Bender took the first snaps for the offense and over the course of the afternoon completed 7 of 11 passes. The senior QB suffered one interception, when tight end James Sosinski couldn’t pull in a throw and safety Mike Lee secured the turnover.

Redshirt junior Carter Stanley, second in the QB rotation, connected on 9 of 11 attempts without a turnover.

Sophomore transfer Miles Kendrick went 6 for 10 and had some issues completing his deeper throws during other periods, too.

My assessment of what is read there is that Stanley will end up being our guy. Bender and Kendrick produced their big numbers at lower class and so far that has not transferred to D1.
Stanley seems to have something, I'll call it the "IT" factor, that makes him stand out from our other QBs.
Whoever get's the job they are going to need greatly improved play from the line and our running game in order to perform to their potential.

#2030424 - 04/29/18 06:16 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: appyhawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: appyhawk

To your emboldened point, the following was included in Smith's article on the public practice which included 7 on 7 and some 11 on 11 stuff.
" Bender took the first snaps for the offense and over the course of the afternoon completed 7 of 11 passes. The senior QB suffered one interception, when tight end James Sosinski couldn’t pull in a throw and safety Mike Lee secured the turnover.

Redshirt junior Carter Stanley, second in the QB rotation, connected on 9 of 11 attempts without a turnover.

Sophomore transfer Miles Kendrick went 6 for 10 and had some issues completing his deeper throws during other periods, too.

My assessment of what is read there is that Stanley will end up being our guy. Bender and Kendrick produced their big numbers at lower class and so far that has not transferred to D1.
Stanley seems to have something, I'll call it the "IT" factor, that makes him stand out from our other QBs.
Whoever get's the job they are going to need greatly improved play from the line and our running game in order to perform to their potential.
Thanks for the update Appy. Was wondering why they were keeping stats without it being an actual scrimmage.

#2030425 - 04/29/18 08:16 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: appyhawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas

If Stanley has the “it” factor it’s something he recently obtained because he sure hasn’t had it in the past. Personally I was hoping Kendrick would step up as I have never been impressed with the other two. Until we get a top tier qb we will continue to struggle offensively and continue our losing ways unless we discover a dominant running game. Jmo

#2030426 - 04/29/18 09:23 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: appyhawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Last season showed me that Bender is a statue and will not survive behind our OL. I think we will see Stanley and Kendrick split time. Stanley has a better arm and Kendrick is better at running the ball.

It does not matter how accurate Kendrick is throwing deep because he will not have that kind of time in the pocket anyway. He will be running away from DL players from the moment the ball is snapped.

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/29/18 09:25 PM)

#2030427 - 04/29/18 09:52 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Just saw the TV coverage on my DVR today and it was just about completely worthless. I saw and heard more of the practice the one time when I was engrossed with conversation with 1 of my friends and not actually paying attention to the practice for about 5 minutes. Oh, and I was buzzed pretty good by that time too.

As to the practice itself, the D looks light years ahead of the O right now. These things at this time of year always favor the D, but the D still looked like the better unit regardless of that.

Thompson had a nice run where he got lost in a bunch of lineman and popped it out to the backside of the play and almost scored. Didn't see too much else from the other RB's.

Kerr looked the best of the WR's in the limited action we got to see. He had a real nice over the shoulder catch against Harris who was in good D coverage. Even when a DB is in good coverage they can still be beat by a very accurate throw and Kendrick (I believe, but not 100% it was him) made a very good throw on that one hitting Kerr in stride.

Charlot was running with what looked to be the 2nd string guys. He still looks to me like 1 of our better WR's even if he didn't do much because of his more limited action.

The TE's struggled IMO. Sosinski looked very rusty which is understandable. The OL looked decent all things considered, but got beat on the edge a few times.

I think our DE's are really good. We've got some guys with good size and strength who look like they've got some real good explosiveness. The DT's looked solid too. Think our DL may even be better than it was last year with Armstrong on it.

LB's looked decent. Osaze looked like the most fluid and athletic of the bunch. He made some good quick reads too. I think he'll be 1 of our starters in the fall if I had to guess right now.

DB's and S's looked like a deep group of quality players with several guys with good size and speed. The DB's and S's looked like the most talented group to me. At times they were just swarming all over the WR's and RB's when they got past the line of scrimmage. Several guys flying around playing aggressive and still in control.

The QB's all looked about the same to me. Bender threw 1 in traffic to Sosinski and Sosinski bobbled it allowing Lee to make an INT off the tipped up in the air bobble, but the throw was also a bit behind James and late too. Kendrick looks by far the most athletic to me. He made a couple of his better throws on the run. He didn't look as comfortable in the pocket, but not terrible either. Bender looked like the best pure passer still. Stanley looks confident and made some good throws, but nothing that stood out though.

My guess is that Bender practices the best still and so looks like the best option at QB to the coaches. In fairness Bender probably is the best pure QB on the team, but he needs a good OL to allow him to show it in games and we don't have a proven good OL right now. Left to scramble or make decisions under high duress he struggles mightily as we all saw last year. I'd guess that Kendrick will be the best performer in real games, especially if our QB's are having to scramble a ton because the OL can't protect them, or if we run more RPO's like it's been looking like we may want to run. Kendrick looks like he can make good decisions and good throws under pressure while scrambling and has more athleticism than Stanley so can theoretically extend plays longer and/or scramble for more positive yards than Stanley. Stanley looked like the most confident QB to me. He looks about the same as he did last year performance wise, but he looked like he was making quicker more decisive decisions.

Like I said though, none of the QB's stood out above the rest to me to any real degree on Saturday.

I think our D could be in the top 1/2 of the Big 12 this year actually, but I'm not at all confident about the O right now. Think the summer workouts and fall practice with all the reinforcements coming will be crucial for our O and if they can scrape their way out of the bottom of the Big 12 or not.

#2030428 - 04/30/18 07:25 AM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Bender looks good in practice because he knows he won't get hit. The kid is doomed playing behind our o-line.

#2030440 - 04/30/18 02:58 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Bender looks good in practice because he knows he won't get hit. The kid is doomed playing behind our o-line.
Yep, I agree, but I think it's more about him being forced to make a split second decision without time to go through all of his reads in a real game time situation than it is about the contact from being hit. Yeah, the contact being brought by the DE running full speed at you in a real game forces that split second decision, but I don't think he's afraid of the contact like Christ appeared to be for example. His decision making ability appears to deteriorate exponentially in that situation more than your average QB.

#2030445 - 04/30/18 05:31 PM Re: KU spring game cancelled [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I agree, Bender is a tough kid, but not mobile at all and he's not afraid of getting hit. Tom Brady would fail behind what we have on the front!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview