Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2029745 - 04/10/18 02:23 AM W's Next Season
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

How many wins do you see on the schedule for next season?

The only win I see is Nicholls and that's not a sure thing. Nicholls played aTm last season and only lost by 10 so Nicholls is a decent team. If Beaty wins 1 other game and has 2 wins for the season, is that enough for him to keep his job? How many wins does Beaty need to keep his job?

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/10/18 02:31 AM)

#2029746 - 04/10/18 06:03 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
madcapper Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: center of nowhere
I see 5

#2029749 - 04/10/18 08:01 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: madcapper]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Originally Posted By: madcapper
I see 5

Are your five wins Zenger, Beaty, Bowen, Perry getting fired and Nicholls State?

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2029750 - 04/10/18 08:11 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: madcapper]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
i always try to chip-in on these but have no clue what ku has that might turn the corner or sink the ship. so, i'll pass other than say they will be 4-22 v. the wizard after their mhk visit. and i'm just guessing but methinks homer will be gone by "late night."

of much more interest to most will be the conference itself.

what's the baker effect?
texas move forward?
wvu win on offense alone?
kliff's last?
kenny hill addition by subtraction?
baylor?
isu real or a flash?
who qb's oSu and how well?

lots of questions this fall that make the upcoming season an interesting test for all its members.

#2029760 - 04/10/18 11:08 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer

The only win I see is Nicholls and that's not a sure thing. Nicholls played aTm last season and only lost by 10 so Nicholls is a decent team. If Beaty wins 1 other game and has 2 wins for the season, is that enough for him to keep his job? How many wins does Beaty need to keep his job?
On the 1st question, I've got no real idea right now. We've all seen the coaching errors and deficiencies of the past couple of seasons, but we also have a deeper more talented team this year compared to the previous 3 by quite a bit.

I also like the new hires, especially Ricker as the new OL coach. I thought you could just about immediately see the OL was the worst or 1 of the worst coached units on the team when watching us play. Been hearing Ricker is the real deal ever since he stepped foot on campus. Been hearing good things about Miller too.

I've also been listening to Beaty as much as possible since the end of last season and he's talking differently about what they need to do to be successful. It seems apparent to me the news about him reaching out to some successful HC's he knows or worked with, etc. is probably true. He seems to have listened to what they had to say and took it to heart. I think the new hires also shows that as those new hires are guys with no bullsh|it type reputations who get things done. More traditional type hard asses who could compliment Beaty's positive reinforcement approach if used correctly. So, more of a mix of "players coaches" and hard asses who really get after guys in an aggressive in your face kind of way.

So, we've got a noticeably more talented and deeper roster than we've had in years, some new hard assed assistant coaches and a HC who looks to have taken stock of his own failings and weaknesses, and is trying to address them. Then there's the past 3 years of coaching mistakes, deficiencies, and failures that's looming over everything so I can't really make a well educated guess as to how many wins we may get this year right now. Need to see more of the team in person and hear some more behind the scenes stuff from people I trust who have more up close and personal access to the team than most of us.

As for the latter question, I think coach Beaty needs at a minimum 3 wins to keep his job and be competitive in most of the rest. That's the minimum I think he'll need and it still may not be enough if we're not also clearly more competitive overall. 5 or more wins is probably the magic number for him to confidently secure his job.

#2029766 - 04/10/18 01:30 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

On the 1st question, I've got no real idea right now. We've all seen the coaching errors and deficiencies of the past couple of seasons, but we also have a deeper more talented team this year compared to the previous 3 by quite a bit.

I also like the new hires, especially Ricker as the new OL coach. I thought you could just about immediately see the OL was the worst or 1 of the worst coached units on the team when watching us play. Been hearing Ricker is the real deal ever since he stepped foot on campus. Been hearing good things about Miller too.

I've also been listening to Beaty as much as possible since the end of last season and he's talking differently about what they need to do to be successful. It seems apparent to me the news about him reaching out to some successful HC's he knows or worked with, etc. is probably true. He seems to have listened to what they had to say and took it to heart. I think the new hires also shows that as those new hires are guys with no bullsh|it type reputations who get things done. More traditional type hard asses who could compliment Beaty's positive reinforcement approach if used correctly. So, more of a mix of "players coaches" and hard asses who really get after guys in an aggressive in your face kind of way.

So, we've got a noticeably more talented and deeper roster than we've had in years, some new hard assed assistant coaches and a HC who looks to have taken stock of his own failings and weaknesses, and is trying to address them. Then there's the past 3 years of coaching mistakes, deficiencies, and failures that's looming over everything so I can't really make a well educated guess as to how many wins we may get this year right now. Need to see more of the team in person and hear some more behind the scenes stuff from people I trust who have more up close and personal access to the team than most of us.

As for the latter question, I think coach Beaty needs at a minimum 3 wins to keep his job and be competitive in most of the rest. That's the minimum I think he'll need and it still may not be enough if we're not also clearly more competitive overall. 5 or more wins is probably the magic number for him to confidently secure his job.

I hope you are right. Funny how one man's trash is another man's treasure. Taken from the misery board a few years ago......
'Fire Josh Henson and A.J. Ricker.Posted on 9/19/15 at 3:17 pm
This offense is steaming hot garbage.

Offense was bad last year and even worse this year. Nobody is in sync, the O-line can't block a cheerleader,'

#2029768 - 04/10/18 01:59 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The biggest problem Missouri had in 2015 was the QB position.

The running backs averaged around 4 yards per carry for the year in 2015, but the QBs passed for about 50%. Mauk played poorly the first 4 before disappearing, and Lock wasn't fully ready yet. Neither was overly good at looking down the field. Like many freshmen QBs, Lock was also slow to get rid of the ball and compiled 25 sacks. Lots of teams stacked the box against them.

#2029774 - 04/10/18 04:12 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: dgless21]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: dgless21
The biggest problem Missouri had in 2015 was the QB position.

The running backs averaged around 4 yards per carry for the year in 2015, but the QBs passed for about 50%. Mauk played poorly the first 4 before disappearing, and Lock wasn't fully ready yet. Neither was overly good at looking down the field. Like many freshmen QBs, Lock was also slow to get rid of the ball and compiled 25 sacks. Lots of teams stacked the box against them.

Why do you know so much about MU football. I found that comment only because I did a google on our Offensive line coach. I would never watch Misery football.

#2029775 - 04/10/18 04:28 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I am wondering if we will try to use what we actually have as far as limited talent, and run a more conventional offense? Or will we still have the delusion of Air Raid which will guarantee us 0-1 wins and a new coach and AD week five.

Believe you me, I would LOVE to be wrong, but I just don't see things getting better anytime soon.

RCJHKU!

#2029780 - 04/10/18 04:35 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: KUHawkhead]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I am wondering if we will try to use what we actually have as far as limited talent, and run a more conventional offense? Or will we still have the delusion of Air Raid which will guarantee us 0-1 wins and a new coach and AD week five.

Believe you me, I would LOVE to be wrong, but I just don't see things getting better anytime soon.

RCJHKU!

I totally agree with you HH! As do about 40k folks who used to actually buy tickets and show up on game days. It's not that we lost 11 in row, we didn't even sniff a look at being an "improved team". Beaty has had three years now on blaming his predecessor, it's time for him to put up or get the hell out of Larryville. No reason at all not to expect 4 or 5 wins this year, except for Beaty! If Bill Snyder could go bowling in his 4th season, Beaty should be able to win 4 freaking games!

In all honesty, I look for this squad to lose their opener to Nichol's, then drop the next two and THEN Beaty and Zenger will finally get the axe.

#2029789 - 04/10/18 07:24 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO

Zero. The Chancellor is fully committed to dwidle dee and dwidle dumb.

#2029827 - 04/11/18 01:28 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Dee & Dum = 58 & track? So confused...

#2029828 - 04/11/18 01:29 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
Your subject line implies that it will be a plural number, I'm not convinced.

#2029829 - 04/11/18 01:41 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: PbBut]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: PbBut
We aren’t convinced NS is that one win either. It’s our Super Bowl.

#2029835 - 04/11/18 02:55 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: track
Why do you know so much about MU football. I found that comment only because I did a google on our Offensive line coach. I would never watch Misery football.

Google works for multiple topics.

I also watch a variety of teams because I like to gamble on college football and basketball, and it's a bit easier if you know a thing or two about the teams that you're betting on/against.

#2029848 - 04/11/18 05:26 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
We aren’t convinced NS is that one win either. It’s our Super Bowl.

Don't think for a moment that Nichols State won't view it as THEIR Superbowl. Beaty will be in a tough coaching spot on that opener. Certainly he has to let the kids know to give Nichols respect, but if he overhypes the importance????????? And if we do indeed lose, which I think is a distinct possibility, how will he convince the kids they can beat a D-1 school as the season plays out?

#2029855 - 04/11/18 09:18 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

TG did it. Many coaches have done it.

#2029868 - 04/12/18 04:28 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Gill had a 0-1 record after the game. Big difference.

#2029869 - 04/12/18 06:50 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: vmlb]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

True, but Gill inherited a lot more talent than Beaty has been able to amass thus far....and more importantly wasn't riding an 11 game losing streak coupled with an overall record of 3-33.
Beaty could lose the last shred of credibility he has with the kids if Nichols State plays out the way I think it could.

#2029881 - 04/12/18 02:52 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: beenahawk

True, but Gill inherited a lot more talent than Beaty has been able to amass thus far....and more importantly wasn't riding an 11 game losing streak coupled with an overall record of 3-33.
Beaty could lose the last shred of credibility he has with the kids if Nichols State plays out the way I think it could.

I plan on Starting the season 0 and 0.... not 3 and 33.

Edited by track (04/12/18 04:31 PM)

#2029887 - 04/12/18 05:26 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Wikipedia doesn’t say 0-0 and track does. Go with wiki...

He wasn’t even a great HS head coach l!!

#2029924 - 04/13/18 12:53 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Good attitude and goal starting at 0 & 0.

Reality is the kids and what remains of DB's staff and what remains of the Grid fanbase all know the past. I highly doubt DB can change the facts or anyone over the age of 12 mindset. I am actually anticipating "the here we go again" moment and how the 18 Hawks will respond to it. We all know that it is a distinct possibility that the first sign of adversity might result in the folding up of the tent. Will that moment occur in Game 1? It probably will.

#2029931 - 04/13/18 02:02 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

Good attitude and goal starting at 0 & 0.

Reality is the kids and what remains of DB's staff and what remains of the Grid fanbase all know the past. I highly doubt DB can change the facts or anyone over the age of 12 mindset. I am actually anticipating "the here we go again" moment and how the 18 Hawks will respond to it. We all know that it is a distinct possibility that the first sign of adversity might result in the folding up of the tent. Will that moment occur in Game 1? It probably will.

You must think we have a bunch of whimpy assed losers on this team. I disagree. I think you underestimate how competitive a person has to be to even make a college team... even a bad one. No way do I see the players quitting after an early season loss. The coaching staff is even more competitive... they might be incompetent but they will not quit and they will not let players quit either. As a fan I sure haven’t quit and I won’t ever. I hate losing but I am not quitting as a fan. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

#2029973 - 04/13/18 05:30 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You must think we have a bunch of whimpy assed losers on this team. I disagree. I think you underestimate how competitive a person has to be to even make a college team... even a bad one. No way do I see the players quitting after an early season loss. The coaching staff is even more competitive... they might be incompetent but they will not quit and they will not let players quit either. As a fan I sure haven’t quit and I won’t ever. I hate losing but I am not quitting as a fan. Rock Chalk Jayhawk

I don't know if they are whimpy assed or not, but both the players and coaching staff's record certainly indicates that they are indeed LOSERS. As a "fan", I used to feel the way you do now....been through these roller coaster rides for nearly 6 decades. But in the first 45 years, I have NEVER witnessed anything close to this continual low point and ineptitude for so long a period. One would think we could have had one winning season even by accident, at some point in these past ten seasons!

One thing I can guarantee, when the true adversity hits this group, and it will at some point, Beaty will lose the team. Everyone will talk a great game and about "family", "toughness", "a never give up/no quit attitude", but what we will all see on the field will be the reality.

I honestly wish you well in supporting this bunch...and I hope they succeed, but I am confident in the prospect of failure.

#2029992 - 04/13/18 07:24 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: beenahawk]
track Offline
gale sayers

I hear you. I have suffered through the highs and lows over years too... was in the class between Jim Ryun and John Riggins and as a kid I wanted to run like Curtis McClinton. My point is simply the team is a loser the last few years but the individual athletes are not. They go to practice every day they work their butts off year round as most div one athletes are required to do. Coaches come and go but the kids have to continue on in their athletic endeavors. ... at least as long as they are on scholarship. They go to work every day just like I used to🦅😀 they individually are not losers.
My daughter ran div one track and cross country in the big 12 and she never won a race but she scored points for the team and she certainly wasn’t a loser just because she didn’t win any races. She tried her best just like our young guys on our football team are doing and they deserve our support... even if you hate the AD and/or the coach. I didn’t think much of my daughters coach either but I supported the team.

Edited by track (04/13/18 08:14 PM)

#2030012 - 04/13/18 10:57 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Phog Fanatic

I will give it a shot:

Non conference games: KU wins 'em all.

Saturday, September 22
Kansas at Baylor. Baylor comes in over confident, cocky even. KU 22-17

Saturday, September 29
Oklahoma State at Kansas. OSU is depleted, KU's confident and veteran squad dominates from start to finish. KU 35-20.

Saturday, October 6
Kansas at West Virginia. Morgantown is a tough venue, but KU plays tough. WVU 35-28

Saturday, October 20
Kansas at Texas Tech: KU runs at will. KU 38-15

Saturday, October 27
TCU at Kansas: Tough loss against a good team, defensive battle. TCU 21-14

Saturday, November 3
Iowa State at Kansas: KU fans excited, believing and filling the stands. ISU misses Lazard, bad. KU 35-17

Saturday, November 10
Kansas at K-State: KU shocks the football world in 2X OT: 42-35

Saturday, November 17
Kansas at Oklahoma: KU does not have horses to win in Norman. OU 38-28

Friday, November 23
Texas at Kansas: KU eeeks out a tight one: KU 17-12

Ok, I smoked a J of Ghost Train Haze tonight, and I'm an optimist by nature, so I might be off by a win or two here or there, but all in all, expecting the 'Hawks to surprise some people this year.

#2030013 - 04/13/18 11:02 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: Yardbirdbob]
track Offline
gale sayers

I would like to get some of what you are smokin.

#2030017 - 04/14/18 03:12 AM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
EstebanBugatti Online   content
Phog Fanatic

0. Next question.

#2030058 - 04/14/18 05:12 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: track]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I hear you. I have suffered through the highs and lows over years too... was in the class between Jim Ryun and John Riggins and as a kid I wanted to run like Curtis McClinton. My point is simply the team is a loser the last few years but the individual athletes are not. They go to practice every day they work their butts off year round as most div one athletes are required to do. Coaches come and go but the kids have to continue on in their athletic endeavors. ... at least as long as they are on scholarship. They go to work every day just like I used to🦅😀 they individually are not losers.
My daughter ran div one track and cross country in the big 12 and she never won a race but she scored points for the team and she certainly wasn’t a loser just because she didn’t win any races. She tried her best just like our young guys on our football team are doing and they deserve our support... even if you hate the AD and/or the coach. I didn’t think much of my daughters coach either but I supported the team.

Well said!

#2030061 - 04/14/18 05:30 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: pizzanbeer]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Indiana
6 wins for me

#2030072 - 04/14/18 07:07 PM Re: W's Next Season [Re: PbBut]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I made it plural so the optimists would comment. grin

Edited by pizzanbeer (04/14/18 07:24 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview