Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2029103 - 03/21/18 01:44 PM KU football Billboard on I-70
Hot_Toddy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Not sure if this is true, but evidently this billboard is between Lawrence & Kansas City, westbound on I-70. See article link below.

Article

[img]https://twitter.com/ghostofmangino/media[/img]

#2029107 - 03/21/18 03:04 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
EstebanBugatti Online   content
Phog Fanatic

It was up for 24 hours before Zenger threw a fit and demanded the company take it down.

#2029108 - 03/21/18 05:17 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Really?

You see something like this and don't think it's a pathetically dumb attack on and embarrassment to the University of Kansas as a whole but rather as some kind of personal comeuppance to Zenger?

You the one who paid for it?

#2029109 - 03/21/18 05:22 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Hot_Toddy
Not sure if this is true, but evidently this billboard is between Lawrence & Kansas City, westbound on I-70. See article link below.

Article

They talked quite a lot about this on Rock Chalk Sports Talk today.

#2029113 - 03/21/18 09:41 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Really?

You see something like this and don't think it's a pathetically dumb attack on and embarrassment to the University of Kansas as a whole but rather as some kind of personal comeuppance to Zenger?

It was paid for, from what I've seen, by a variety of posters on phog.net.

I, personally, don't think a single billboard is an embarrassment, but I think Zenger's tenure has been an extreme embarrassment with the extension and raise moreso.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2029114 - 03/22/18 12:23 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

Really?

I bet your boyfriend Beaty cried all night long to you about the mean billboard. Visit the website on it and learn a thing or two about the real embarrassment to KU.

#2029115 - 03/22/18 12:45 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21

I, personally, don't think a single billboard is an embarrassment, but I think Zenger's tenure has been an extreme embarrassment with the extension and raise moreso.
I'm no Zenger fan, but IMHO it's like unnecessarily airing out your familiy's dirty laundry in a very public, look at me kind of way.

There's a ton of people who drive I-70 from all over the USA who have no idea of KU's football woes over the past 9 years or so (nor cared), but now they do and I'd bet a lot of them come away with a bad impression of KU "fans" too from this.

It's also not gonna do a damned thing to get Zenger or Beaty or anyone else fired or anything at all changed within KU athletics, so what's the point?

#2029116 - 03/22/18 12:46 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
I bet your boyfriend Beaty cried all night long to you about the mean billboard. Visit the website on it and learn a thing or two about the real embarrassment to KU.
Come on man, get more creative than that or you just have a lot of homosexual fantasies?

#2029119 - 03/22/18 08:41 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Personally, I'd rather see our fans stand up and speak out about Zenger than sit idly by while we remain the worst team in Power 5. When fans feel like they're not being heard in private conversation, of course they're going to air it out publicly.

I'd choose being embarrassed by our fans over being embarrassed by our football team, coaches, and athletic director (that we spend MILLIONS on) every single day of the week. KU gets to choose those to an extent; they don't get to choose the fans.

Obviously the tons of people that already know KU sucks at football hasn't changed the KU Athletics' course of action. What's it hurt if a few more people know how bad we are? We're obviously not ashamed enough to make any changes--except the annual change of half the football staff.

#2029121 - 03/22/18 09:43 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I'm shocked that there isn't more of this stuff. We are living through the worst decade in our grid history and the architect of the issue (Zenger) remains. The structural engineer (Perkins) left with a golden parachute and didn't even get a black eye! We are on our third General Contractor (Beaty) who appears to be clueless as he continually changes his sub-contractors (Assistants) and the first two GC's did little except scoot out of town with truckloads of money.

The whole thing stinks and anyone with half a brain knows it! crazy

#2029124 - 03/22/18 10:38 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
I'm with you dgless, I think the billboard is over the top. But its the US, and you have the right to fritter your $$ the way you like.

For myself, I've decided for the first time since 1976 that I'll be staying home. I don't know what I'll do with my Saturdays, probably watch on TV, but I'll have a few extra dollars and hours every Saturday as a result. Its got to be better than sitting in the stands and coming home beyond disappointed. And its not like the Athletic Department or the University will care. If they cared, they would have done something about the 30,000 people who left before me.

#2029125 - 03/22/18 10:41 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Come on man, get more creative than that or you just have a lot of homosexual fantasies?
The billboard is meant to pointedly reach Zenger in different ways that the indifference, declining fanbase, and additional butt kickings on-field do. Very creative IMHO.

Now, your homo-erotic tendencies is another matter.

#2029128 - 03/22/18 12:57 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'm no Zenger fan, but IMHO it's like unnecessarily airing out your familiy's dirty laundry in a very public, look at me kind of way.

There's a ton of people who drive I-70 from all over the USA who have no idea of KU's football woes over the past 9 years or so (nor cared), but now they do and I'd bet a lot of them come away with a bad impression of KU "fans" too from this.

It's also not gonna do a damned thing to get Zenger or Beaty or anyone else fired or anything at all changed within KU athletics, so what's the point?

The billboard and the website both represent the base of KU fans who are sick and tired of our athletic department getting away with a thriving culture of ineptitude. The attitude of "fans" like yourself, is the fire that stokes the boiler for the train of incompetence that is our athletic department. If we all sat here licking Zenger, Beaty, and Girod's boot heels like you, we will never get out of this situation.

The billboard has already garnered national attention and prompted a panicked, knee-jerk reaction from the University, which amounts to a bullying tactic often employed by dictatorships to quiet the voice of the people. It has been a rousing success, and only Zenger would think otherwise.

If you don't have the passion or yearning to ever see winning football in Memorial Stadium again, then fine. I don't really care what you do. Keep giving whatever it is that you do to the Williams Fund and flushing $375 per ticket down the toilet for season tickets. Enjoy the worst collegiate program in any sport, but don't sit here wagging your finger like some kind of morally superior cultist while some of us try to actually do something to fix it.

#2029130 - 03/22/18 01:59 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

" Enjoy the worst collegiate program in any sport, but don't sit here wagging your finger like some kind of morally superior cultist (kman_blue) while some of us try to actually do something to fix it."

This is the last resort we fans have - embarrass the hell out of the stooges left in place, giving each other contract extensions and salary increases. Incompetence is a mild word for what they (Zenger, Beaty, Bowen, Girod) are currently doing!

#2029132 - 03/22/18 03:01 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Frankenhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Frankenhawk

The billboard and the website both represent the base of KU fans who are sick and tired of our athletic department getting away with a thriving culture of ineptitude.
No, it doesn't. There's plenty of fans who feel that way who also feel this billboard idea was dumb as sh|it.

The attitude of "fans" like yourself, is the fire that stokes the boiler for the train of incompetence that is our athletic department. If we all sat here licking Zenger, Beaty, and Girod's boot heels like you, we will never get out of this situation.
Give me a fuc|king break. What about the part of my original post in bold do you not understand? I'm not a big fan of Zenger and that equates to boot licking?

So, if I think this billboard is a dumb assed idea that gives every purple pig farmer and slaver a big smile as they drive down I-70 from KC heading west as well as portraying KU fans in a bad light to the others who didn't care or know about any of this means I'm some kind of apologist or something for Zenger, Beaty and/or Girod? That's really dumb reasoning if that's what you think.

The billboard has already garnered national attention and prompted a panicked, knee-jerk reaction from the University, which amounts to a bullying tactic often employed by dictatorships to quiet the voice of the people. It has been a rousing success, and only Zenger would think otherwise.
Oh yeah? So when did Zenger get fired or announce his "retirement"? I mean, otherwise WTF was the point of this act of attention seeking stupidity? Give great fodder to the purple pig farmers and slavers for decades to come? I'd be willing to bet a good number of those people donated to this effort.

If you don't have the passion or yearning to ever see winning football in Memorial Stadium again, then fine. I don't really care what you do. Keep giving whatever it is that you do to the Williams Fund and flushing $375 per ticket down the toilet for season tickets. Enjoy the worst collegiate program in any sport, but don't sit here wagging your finger like some kind of morally superior cultist while some of us try to actually do something to fix it.
Again, very DUMB reasoning and also again exactly WTF did this do of substance? No, I'll answer this for you, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

I also don't get this morally superior crap. Cause I think this is dumb and sheds the university and its fans in a bad light? I got a finger I could be wagging and it ain't a moral one either!

#2029133 - 03/22/18 03:03 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
" Enjoy the worst collegiate program in any sport, but don't sit here wagging your finger like some kind of morally superior cultist (kman_blue) while some of us try to actually do something to fix it."

This is the last resort we fans have - embarrass the hell out of the stooges left in place, giving each other contract extensions and salary increases. Incompetence is a mild word for what they (Zenger, Beaty, Bowen, Girod) are currently doing!
Last resort?

Tell me, what other resorts did you try or know others have tried before this last one?

This ought to be good.

#2029134 - 03/22/18 03:06 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The billboard is meant to pointedly reach Zenger in different ways that the indifference, declining fanbase, and additional butt kickings on-field do. Very creative IMHO.

Wait, so Esteban is your sock?

What tendencies? The projected ones from you and your sock?

#2029135 - 03/22/18 03:17 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Personally, I'd rather see our fans stand up and speak out about Zenger than sit idly by while we remain the worst team in Power 5. When fans feel like they're not being heard in private conversation, of course they're going to air it out publicly.

I'd choose being embarrassed by our fans over being embarrassed by our football team, coaches, and athletic director (that we spend MILLIONS on) every single day of the week. KU gets to choose those to an extent; they don't get to choose the fans.

Obviously the tons of people that already know KU sucks at football hasn't changed the KU Athletics' course of action. What's it hurt if a few more people know how bad we are? We're obviously not ashamed enough to make any changes--except the annual change of half the football staff.
I think plenty of KU fans have stood up and spoke out, but to their WEF representatives and the university directly. Many have even let them know they're pulling their financial support from the school. The school/AD doesn't ignore that even if it looks like it from the outside. There's also a lot smarter ways to air it out publicly than this.

I'd rather not be embarrassed by either our fans or our football program. It's bad enough being embarrassed by one of them.

I also don't like the idea of helping boost the egos and provide new free fodder to the pig farmers and slavers because some KU fans aren't happy. Especially during a week we all should be excited about and cheering on a potential run to the final 4 if things go well tomorrow and Sunday.

#2029136 - 03/22/18 03:30 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The only thing that matters to me is that Beaty wins. I don't care about billboards or banners pulled behind planes. 3-33, statistical performance getting worse last season and Zenger hiring Weis and Beaty is what matters to me. The facts are the facts.

#2029137 - 03/22/18 03:33 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

How much are you paid by Zenger and Baty to pump the sunshine on here? Don't try to deny that. It was proven already that KU has people go on all KU boards and defend the idiots.

#2029138 - 03/22/18 04:39 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

How much are you paid by Zenger and Baty to pump the sunshine on here? Don't try to deny that. It was proven already that KU has people go on all KU boards and defend the idiots.
I wished I got paid for being a KU football fan.

#2029139 - 03/22/18 04:47 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I think it's funny you care so much what KSU and MU fans think when we're this bad. If you talk to educated fans, they understand why mant want Zenger gone.

What methods of protesting Zenger would you prefer that would actually get the point across?

I have every intention to support KU today, tomorrow, and the foreseeable future. I always have and I always will. I want KU to be successful, and I'm not alone in my belief that Zenger leaving would make KU more successful.

#2029141 - 03/22/18 04:54 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think it's funny you care so much what KSU and MU fans think when we're this bad. If you talk to educated fans, they understand why mant want Zenger gone.

What methods of protesting Zenger would you prefer that would actually get the point across?

I have every intention to support KU today, tomorrow, and the foreseeable future. I always have and I always will. I want KU to be successful, and I'm not alone in my belief that Zenger leaving would make KU more successful.
I already laid it out. Money talks and complaints from donors makes an impact even if you don't think it does.

I don't care what the pig farmers and slavers think, but I also don't need hearing sh|it from them about this stupid billboard either especially because I can't defend it.

And again, criticizing the billboard is not a de facto defense of anyone, including Zenger.

#2029142 - 03/22/18 05:05 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

And when nothing happens when 20k fans have stopped showing up, many others have pulled financial support, season tickets are declining again, no one expects much from us again, we have a revolving door with assistants, and still nothing seems to happen...what's the next step in your mind?

#2029143 - 03/22/18 05:10 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
jhawkblue Offline
Lawrence Legend

once again I have to completely disagree Kman and the other Zenger, Beaty apologist I don't think the bill board was any embarrassment to the University, Zengers record over the last 7 years is however a huge embarrasment to the university and its fans the Billboard story has been picked up by numerous national print and radio outlets all of whom already knew that our football program was the worst in the country.

the billboard was just another way that some fans have used to voice their displeasure with the current state of the program and to let the administration know that they won't sit idly by as the current AD continues to to truly embarrass the university with the worst program in the country

#2029144 - 03/22/18 05:33 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

And when nothing happens when 20k fans have stopped showing up, many others have pulled financial support, season tickets are declining again, no one expects much from us again, we have a revolving door with assistants, and still nothing seems to happen...what's the next step in your mind?
Things have been and still are happening even if it's not apparent to the public.

This billboard does nothing to make anything happen within the KU AD's office.

#2029145 - 03/22/18 05:35 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: jhawkblue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jhawkblue
once again I have to completely disagree Kman and the other Zenger, Beaty apologist I don't think the bill board was any embarrassment to the University, Zengers record over the last 7 years is however a huge embarrasment to the university and its fans the Billboard story has been picked up by numerous national print and radio outlets all of whom already knew that our football program was the worst in the country.

the billboard was just another way that some fans have used to voice their displeasure with the current state of the program and to let the administration know that they won't sit idly by as the current AD continues to to truly embarrass the university with the worst program in the country
I guess that settles it then.

The consensus looks like this,

The billboard was a bad idea = me
The billboard was a great idea = everybody else on the board

LOL

I'm sticking with my original opinion.

#2029147 - 03/22/18 06:03 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just a reflection on society. Me first society. Winning and losing football games are high on my list. I'm not embarrassed that my team loses. Not concerned about players pointing guns at their girlfriends. Not concerned about players crawling through drive through windows. Not concerned with coaches screwing boys in the locker room. Just win, that's all I care about.

#2029148 - 03/22/18 06:17 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Things have been and still are happening even if it's not apparent to the public.

This billboard does nothing to make anything happen within the KU AD's office.

Enlighten us then. What changes have been made or are changing that should make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

No one suggested that the billboard was doing anything of the sort. If anything, it was just a stress relief for those of us that have been around and watched Zenger's tenure. Best case scenario, it gets the attention and the chancellor says something worthwhile instead of the sad, "I want to reiterate my confidence in Sheahon."

#2029154 - 03/22/18 07:58 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Last resort?

Tell me, what other resorts did you try or know others have tried before this last one?

This ought to be good.
Sure, fly a banner over the stadium.

#2029155 - 03/22/18 08:01 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Wait, so Esteban is your sock?

What tendencies? The projected ones from you and your sock?
Actually I was wondering who would respond to the tendencies question.

The billboard focuses some energy towards Zenger futility in football, zero on the basketball success. Have anymore complaints about why it needed to be done?

#2029165 - 03/23/18 07:21 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I thought the billboard was uncalled for. By the way Kman, how much are they paying you, I might have to call Zenger and ask for a raise! LOL!

#2029176 - 03/23/18 10:07 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
I thought the billboard was uncalled for. By the way Kman, how much are they paying you, I might have to call Zenger and ask for a raise! LOL!
It's uncalled for because you believe the program is AOK. Nothing wrong with everyone getting contract extensions, salary raises based upon historic levels of losing and major admin apathy about it. How do I know about the apathy? The admin should be talking about the awful levels of football at Kansas, and putting forth a public acknowledgement about how it must change now. Instead of cashing the checks given out to underperforming actors in this sorry play of a program, the admin should be firing their sorry azzes...or asking for public explanations of their last four years of actions. Force some resignations.

That's why billboards and airplanes are necessary, bigdogjac.

#2029178 - 03/23/18 10:42 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Enlighten us then. What changes have been made or are changing that should make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy inside?
Feeling a little hyperbolic today? Obviously nothing will satiate your desire to feel warm and fuzzy outside of wholesale firings.

As for what I actually heard had been done and what's being looked at, I'd rather not say as the person I heard it from let it slip rather than told me on purpose. Positive they didn't want it to get out.

No one suggested that the billboard was doing anything of the sort. If anything, it was just a stress relief for those of us that have been around and watched Zenger's tenure. Best case scenario, it gets the attention and the chancellor says something worthwhile instead of the sad, "I want to reiterate my confidence in Sheahon."
That's a destructive way to vent one's personal stresses IMHO. I at least hope it made those involved who weren't ksu and tigger fans feel better about things, but as Zenger and Beaty are still at KU I doubt it did.

I mention ksu and tigger fans being involved because I've now heard directly from at least 2 bragging about contributing to the effort. Who knows what they contributed, maybe just $1 to the gofundme, but I'm already hearing sh|it from people I know about it.

#2029179 - 03/23/18 10:45 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: bigdogjac]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Alright!

It's now 2 for the billboard was a bad idea side! LOL

Oh, and on the pay stuff...well we should really discuss this at the next meeting with Zenger and the crew we have every 3rd February 29, OK? I don't want the masses to get jealous!

#2029181 - 03/23/18 10:56 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's uncalled for because you believe the program is AOK.
Nice stupid straw man here. Simplistic retarded "reasoning" at its best.

#2029183 - 03/23/18 11:19 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Nothing wrong with everyone getting contract extensions, salary raises based upon historic levels of losing and major admin apathy about it. How do I know about the apathy? The admin should be talking about the awful levels of football at Kansas, and putting forth a public acknowledgement about how it must change now. Instead of cashing the checks given out to underperforming actors in this sorry play of a program, the admin should be firing their sorry azzes...or asking for public explanations of their last four years of actions. Force some resignations."

What is "retarded"? Lacking the ability to put a sentence into context, kman.

"I thought the billboard was uncalled for-bigdogjac" He didn't say it was a bad idea...

#2029188 - 03/23/18 12:10 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

OK, I've said the billboard is not how I would express my frustration with the AD, but what I'm interested in is what you said here.

Things have been and still are happening even if it's not apparent to the public. [/quote]

What IS apparent to the public is a program that really has made little to no progress in terms of competitiveness and wins in several years. If we actually have improved, everyone else is improving at a much faster rate. That's not progress. That's not even maintaining the status quo.

This is way past the point of incremental change, like a new coach for the secondary. What we need at a minimum is a new AD. Confidence in Zenger left on the same scooter that hauled Charlie out of town.

#2029189 - 03/23/18 01:02 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"Nothing wrong with everyone getting contract extensions, salary raises based upon historic levels of losing and major admin apathy about it. How do I know about the apathy? The admin should be talking about the awful levels of football at Kansas, and putting forth a public acknowledgement about how it must change now. Instead of cashing the checks given out to underperforming actors in this sorry play of a program, the admin should be firing their sorry azzes...or asking for public explanations of their last four years of actions. Force some resignations."

"I thought the billboard was uncalled for-bigdogjac" He didn't say it was a bad idea...
It's moronic to think that believing the billboard is a bad idea or "uncalled for" equates to believing the program is AOK much less equating to any agreeing or disagreeing with all of that other sh|it you just threw up against the wall there.

The context of your highly flawed way of thinking is perfectly clear. Your words stand exactly as you meant them to stand.

#2029191 - 03/23/18 01:15 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Alright!

Oh, and on the pay stuff...well we should really discuss this at the next meeting with Zenger and the crew we have every 3rd February 29, OK? I don't want the masses to get jealous!

Sweet jesus, that would mean Zenger is here 12 years. frown

Don't joke like that.

#2029192 - 03/23/18 01:18 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PbBut
OK, I've said the billboard is not how I would express my frustration with the AD, but what I'm interested in is what you said here.

What IS apparent to the public is a program that really has made little to no progress in terms of competitiveness and wins in several years. If we actually have improved, everyone else is improving at a much faster rate. That's not progress. That's not even maintaining the status quo.

This is way past the point of incremental change, like a new coach for the secondary. What we need at a minimum is a new AD. Confidence in Zenger left on the same scooter that hauled Charlie out of town.
I don't disagree with much of anything you say here.

In part, what I was alluding to in that statement is the perception of a lack of any response at all to the extreme frustrations and anger of our fans about Zenger's and/or Beaty's performances. It also wasn't an endorsement of nor opposition to any actions I've heard about. I've got an opinion on it, but I didn't choose to express it here.

I agree that Zenger lost the confidence of a lot of people with the Weis hiring/firing.

#2029193 - 03/23/18 01:23 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Alright!

Don't joke like that.
I dunno, we didn't discuss that at our last meeting. Probably have to wait until the secret Girod meeting we have every other time Hailey's Comet comes around!

Oh, and to update the consensus here it looks like we've got a clarified current take of,

Billboard is a bad idea = me
Billboard is uncalled for = BigdogJac
Billboard isn't how I'd express my frustration = PbBut
Billboard is a good idea = everyone else

Though, BigDog and PbBut can further clarify whether they want to be put into the "bad idea" category or not.

#2029194 - 03/23/18 01:30 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Billboard can't make us any worse = me

It certainly seems we have the worst AD in P5. We have the worst football program in P5. We also were ranked as the worst P5 football brand by Pick Six Previews (based on the ratings of 2018 recruits).

Maybe I'm nearsighted. I just don't see how a billboard that's up for all of one day is going to make anything worse than the current situation.

#2029195 - 03/23/18 01:37 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The unforeseen 1 day lifetime of the billboard certainly greatly limited it's potential impact.

Still got a good amount of negative national publicity for our program and school though, so there's that.

#2029196 - 03/23/18 01:42 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Kind of sad if an $800 billboard can cause enough issues that the millions we've spent on football can't overcome it, isn't it?

#2029197 - 03/23/18 02:00 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

It's moronic to think that believing the billboard is a bad idea or "uncalled for" equates to believing the program is AOK much less equating to any agreeing or disagreeing with all of that other sh|it you just threw up against the wall there.

The context of your highly flawed way of thinking is perfectly clear. Your words stand exactly as you meant them to stand.
I like your thinking that my reasoning is “perfectly clear”. Happy to make you see the light at the end of the tunnel. Zenger / Beaty have to go. Sooner than later.

#2029199 - 03/23/18 02:03 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Alright!

Don't joke like that.
I dunno, we didn't discuss that at our last meeting. Probably have to wait until the secret Girod meeting we have every other time Hailey's Comet comes around!

Oh, and to update the consensus here it looks like we've got a clarified current take of,

Billboard is a bad idea = me
Billboard is uncalled for = BigdogJac
Billboard isn't how I'd express my frustration = PbBut
Billboard is a good idea = everyone else

Though, BigDog and PbBut can further clarify whether they want to be put into the "bad idea" category or not.
But I said the billboard was “last resort”. Not a good idea. Do not put words to post if they are not accurate.

#2029200 - 03/23/18 04:06 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
jhawkblue Offline
Lawrence Legend

actually KuCu and Kman are both wrong the billboard was neither a bad ideal or an act of last resort it accomplished exactly what it was meant to do.

It is the middle of march madness and forums (including this one that for the last two months was basically just a group text between KuCu, Kman and one or two others) are actively discussing the issues with the current AD and the football program the story has also been picked up by local and national print/radio outlets at a time when Zenger is usually protected by the shadow of the basketball program this billboard has once again brought his failures into the light and in this case the pressure forced the administration to act even if only to apply pressure on a company to remove a bill board

the billboard was a public statement that the fans are not content with the with the current state of the program and the failure of the Zenger during his tenure and to let the administration know that they won't set idly by as the administration continues to allow Zenger to further destroy the program and to this point the billboard has accomplished it mission and thanks to the admins strong arming the company the bill board was removed and all money reimbursed to https://saveksfb.com so it actually accomplished its mission for free

#2029201 - 03/23/18 04:32 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Thanks Jayhawk Blue. I totally agree

#2029216 - 03/23/18 09:04 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Image you are actually a football player for KU. You get up every morning at 5 to lift weights, go to class, study, workout, then go for a drive and see that crap. Gotta make you proud to be a Jayhawk. Jayhawk nation is saying to you, "bend over" you worthless piece of crap.

#2029220 - 03/23/18 09:45 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: vmlb]
jhawkblue Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Image you are actually a football player for KU. You get up every morning at 5 to lift weights, go to class, study, workout, then go for a drive and see that crap. Gotta make you proud to be a Jayhawk. Jayhawk nation is saying to you, "bend over" you worthless piece of crap.

do you really think the players at KU don't know what their record has been or the decline of the program under Zenger do you think that they haven't seen the 40,000 empty seats or heard the jokes on national TV or seen the lopsided scores on the jumbotron while their playing against 3rd-4th string opponents in the 3rd qrtr

Zenger and his hires are directly responsible for the current state of the program as a national joke and administrations apathy while keeping the status quo says far more about their feelings toward the players and the program than a billboard paid for by dedicated fans that want better for the players and university

I do feel bad for the players and and thats why Zenger must go, until we get a new AD who can bring in a competent coaching staff we will continue to be worst program in the county and we will all continue to feel bad for both the players, fans and the university

#2029231 - 03/24/18 02:36 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

This is my stance on this subject of the billboard and a few other things in case KUCO was not already aware of them.

I thought the billboard was a bad Idea and uncalled for. Not going to make our football program better.

You can't build a program by firing the coaches every 2nd or 3rd year. Do you really think the recruited players have a thought on whether Zenger is either a good or bad AD? I shouldn't have made that a question. LOL

Some players come here because they or their parents like one or several coaches.

Others come here because they would rather play right away than sit on the bench at a P5 powerhouse for 2-3 years before ever even get a chance to play.

Others come because this is their university win or lose and they will get a great education.

If you think a 5star athlete committed to LSU or Alabama is going to de-commit because you got Zenger and Beaty fired, you are crazy. They didn't come when we hired Weis or when we had Mangino.

I truly believe that if you want a winning program you honor the 5 year commitment we gave to Beaty. If it doesn't work out then we move on.

Go ahead and tell me how bad our record has been. It's certainly not something you haven't already told me about 1000+ times on this board.

Now you know how I feel. If I lived anywhere near I would have season tickets and cheer on the Jayhawks win or lose.

With all this said, it should give Kuco another several months of things to write about and quote.

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWKS!

#2029235 - 03/24/18 04:31 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

bdj - my rebuttal to your thoughts may take a few minutes, certainly not months to reply. You updated your billboard comment above to say it was a bad idea - it seems like you were wanting to get kman's approval. I get it.

The upshot of your post is that you want only positive things to happen to Kansas football, as so do I. I have lived in Lawrence over 25 years and my season ticket stubs are in my dresser drawer. So intimating I don't support my university is a thoroughly inaccurate idea. Hope your rose colored glasses work out as it would mean Beaty can coach and recruit, Zenger can continue as AD, and no more billboards.

#2029237 - 03/24/18 05:01 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Here's my thoughts.....Personally, I LIKE the billboard. Does it potentially hurt our team? Yes, for the coming couple of years, but let's face it....Beaty is gone after five games this year anyway, so we're already spinning our wheels. I have ALWAYS been one to voice my opinion about things I tremendously disagree with. Having Zenger still employed here is one of those things. Beaty is his guy...another failed hire after the Chaz Frontbutt debacle.

Would I like Beaty to work out? You bet. He's a very nice guy, and a good ASSISTANT/POSITIONS coach. Never, ever should he have been brought up straight to D1. The odds of that working out for someone as inexperienced as him are not good at all...kinda like winning the lottery.

The real issue and danger here is....we may lose football as a sport here. Now I know that many do not think this is a real thing, but the fact of the matter is....the Big XII is NOT built for the long haul. We have made poor choice after poor choice as a conference (starting with letting four teams leave so the Tejas could have their fledgling, failing, money hemorrhaging Longhorn Network-at the cost of the longevity of our conference). We MUST have facilities, and at least the illusion of trying to be competitive in football to land in a P4 (there will only be 4) conference. Our basketball tradition will help tremendously, but football is the driver.

Those are my feelings. We cannot let Zenger hire our next coach after the fifth game this season when Beaty is fired. Zenger should be shown the door as soon as this calendar year is over, and a coach capable of building a football program has got to be hired, no matter what the cost.

RCJHKU!

#2029238 - 03/24/18 05:52 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
A few months behind the times but still this article paints a picture of the dilemma KU is in regarding Zenger, fund raising, football,basketball and and their future.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article179555321.html

Don’t expect anything to change regarding opinions on this board.

Edited by track (03/24/18 06:22 PM)

#2029241 - 03/24/18 07:16 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: track
A few months behind the times but still this article paints a picture of the dilemma KU is in regarding Zenger, fund raising, football,basketball and and their future.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article179555321.html

Don’t expect anything to change regarding opinions on this board.
My opinion is fact based. If Beaty/Zenger changed the facts re: say, wins/losses, for example, then my opinion would be different. I believed Beaty was ridiculously under qualified and so far he has proven my current opinion exactly correct. Who hired him? Zenger. So five games in, broom them out. CSU built a new stadium, and fired their AD simultaneously. It can be done. To tie the stadium funding to Zenger, only Zenger is another opinion disproved by CSU reality.

#2029242 - 03/24/18 07:57 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

KU isn’t CSU so no factual conclusions can be drawn by comparing them.... so much for your fact based opinions.

#2029243 - 03/24/18 08:11 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Kuco, I did not say you don't have season tickets, I merely stated that I would if I lived closer.

#2029244 - 03/24/18 08:34 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

KU isn’t CSU so no factual conclusions can be drawn by comparing them.... so much for your fact based opinions.

And Sam Mellenger isn't Zenger so no fact based conclusions in the KC Star are relevant then. According to track.

Obviously, I disagree...

#2029245 - 03/24/18 08:41 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Kuco, I did not say you don't have season tickets, I merely stated that I would if I lived closer.
Football support by both of us should not be questioned!

My whole response is that basically you want a whole lotta good news, but we don't see the improvements in order to merely praise the management. Hence a billboard and other embarrassments to the people unwilling to resign after making a bunch of money. Greedy SOBs!

#2029248 - 03/24/18 09:53 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

The biggest issue I have with this article is the statement: "But now they've gone this far and put Zenger in charge of the biggest fundraising program in department history..."

That's only partially true. The truth is Zenger put Zenger in charge of this program. Athletic Directors are constantly looking to improve programs and fundraising is a huge part of what they do. The fact that money for needed improvements for big or small issues should not be a saving factor. The other fact is: How much easier would it be to raise $300 million if this program was 6-6? Hell, if it was 7-5 or 8-4, Zenger could look look to a $400 million improvement budget.

I will not support an AD who has created his own necessity because of his failures.

#2029253 - 03/25/18 07:12 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Track feels the AD has a unique purpose in stadium fundraising (per his posting the KC Star article above). As I noted earlier CSU was able to separate the two things and now have a better AD AND a new campus stadium. It can be done.

#2029256 - 03/25/18 08:52 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Track feels the AD has a unique purpose in stadium fundraising (per his posting the KC Star article above).

I said nothing about how I felt about the article. I posted it for discussion as it was relevant to the topic... nothing more. Once again you form your opinions based on lies.

#2029258 - 03/25/18 09:16 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Track feels the AD has a unique purpose in stadium fundraising (per his posting the KC Star article above).

I said nothing about how I felt about the article. I posted it.
True that you might be JUST posting it. But, but...not just my post but another followed the article showing the fallacies within the article. Yet you keep doubling down on the "no opinion" idea. Sure.

#2029260 - 03/25/18 09:20 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"I truly believe that if you want a winning program you honor the 5 year commitment (approximately) we gave to Beaty, Weis, Gill. If it doesn't work out then we move on."

This is the reason to give Zenger the boot as AD. He got seven years, and it's worse than ever for the Kansas football program.

#2029262 - 03/25/18 10:04 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

I think I have made it pretty clear what I think of your nonfactual based opinions. As for Zenger...is there anyone on this board that doesn't think the guy deserves to be fired? The only people I have heard that support his continuing employment are the chancellor, Beaty...obviously... and according to the article a few big donors.

#2029263 - 03/25/18 11:48 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I think I have made it pretty clear what I think of your nonfactual based opinions. As for Zenger...is there anyone on this board that doesn't think the guy deserves to be fired? The only people I have heard that support his continuing employment are the chancellor, Beaty...obviously... and according to the article a few big donors.
You are one sick puppy.

First no opinion but posts an article that you eventually disagree with. Took you three posts to express an opinion on Kansas football. Now you know what I think of you personally as well. As if it matters...

#2029264 - 03/25/18 11:50 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"I truly believe that if you want a winning program you honor the 5 year commitment (approximately) we gave to Beaty, Weis, Gill. If it doesn't work out then we move on."

This is the reason to give Zenger the boot as AD. He got seven years, and it's worse than ever for the Kansas football program.
Just wanting to move beyond the craziness of a poster above.

#2029266 - 03/25/18 11:56 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

You are one sick puppy.

First no opinion but posts an article that you eventually disagree with. Took you three posts to express an opinion on Kansas football. Now you know what I think of you personally as well. As if it matters...

Made you look like the fool you are. No surprise you are lashing out.

#2029267 - 03/25/18 12:17 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Yes I agree. Now you don’t need to post.

#2029268 - 03/25/18 12:33 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Guys! There's actual discussion and posting on here! Good job!

RCJHKU!

#2029271 - 03/25/18 12:57 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead

RCJHKU!

Good to see someone post other than cuckoo. The billboard is down so that part of the discussion is a moot point now.
So what to do with zenger? As I said earlier, I don’t know anyone on this board that wants to keep him around. That being said, can’t imagine he wouldn’t be fired if we have another season like last years. So for me zengers fate will be determined by the success or failure of the team this coming year. If we win he and Beaty will be around for 2019 I suspect. . If we start off 0-5 I wpould expect zenger to get the axe first and then Beaty. No way in the world can I see zenger being allowed to make another hire in football. That would warrant an open rebellion... marching on the streets, burning buildings, taking prisoners etc.

#2029274 - 03/25/18 01:31 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree, but I still will be shocked if Beaty isn't let go after game five this season. He has done absolutely NOTHING to improve our team. Sure, he has said the right things, but the proof is in the pudding, and we haven't eaten any since Mangino was fired.

Now, if we do go 0 or 1 for total wins and he is retained, it is Zenger merely extending his own employment, which should be very much frowned upon, no matter HOW well the other athletic programs are doing.

RCJHKU!

#2029286 - 03/25/18 04:17 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUHawkhead]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

RCJHKU!
tacky is the capt obvious for this board. Ice is cold, gives me the chills!!

#2029332 - 03/26/18 09:27 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
wonder how many will show up for the "pick your seat" event. I'm sure there will be plenty to choose from...

#2029345 - 03/26/18 04:43 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUHawkhead]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

...no matter HOW well the other athletic programs are doing.

Another question is if the football failures will infect other sports at some point. Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures. Football buys success in many of the non-revenue sports, we can't do that. Nebraska Gymnastics are ranked #5 for men and #11 for women by the NCAA. Does anyone believe its because of all the high school All-Americans produced in the state of Nebraska? Or is it because they continue to fill the stadium for football?

#2029347 - 03/26/18 06:40 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: PbBut]
track Offline
gale sayers

"Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures."
As you say, that's obvious....It is what everyone wants to avoid. At this point I don't care about the other minor sports. All our energy should be focused on football. Zenger has failed miserably with football. He needs to go....NOW....so a new AD can take a fresh unbiased look at the football program and make the appropriate fires and hires.

#2029350 - 03/26/18 07:13 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Unfortunately, the commentary from the younger sales/WEF reps at the Big 12 tournament is that Girod is against buyouts.

While the vast majority of people can agree that Zenger is a clown, the one person that needs to agree is too stubborn to pay to remove him.

#2029352 - 03/26/18 07:32 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
track Offline
gale sayers

UGH.....so when do zengers and beatys contracts exprire?

#2029353 - 03/26/18 08:14 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PbBut
...no matter HOW well the other athletic programs are doing.

Another question is if the football failures will infect other sports at some point. Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures. Football buys success in many of the non-revenue sports, we can't do that. Nebraska Gymnastics are ranked #5 for men and #11 for women by the NCAA. Does anyone believe its because of all the high school All-Americans produced in the state of Nebraska? Or is it because they continue to fill the stadium for football?
Meanwhile KU is completely unranked and hasn't been ranked once in gymnastics since Zenger's arrival! Not once!! crazy <---me, not you! LOL

And on that last part, are there a lot of dual sport football players and men's/women's gymnastics? grin

On a serious note, I think there's nothing to the idea that bleed over from football is why Nebraska looks like it is doing well in gymnastics.

There's only 62 division I teams participating in women's gymnastics and only 17(!) in men's gymnastics. Only 21 schools in total participate in men's gymnastics across all divisions(DI, DII, DIII) even, so everyone but 1 school is in the top 20. That's the biggest reason why they appear to rank so highly, because not many schools have a team in either sport.

Same goes for things like wrestling, swimming & diving, Lacrosse and water polo, etc. If a school chooses to participate in one of these sports with much lower participation rates across the country they then instantly become one of the potential top(only) schools for athletes in those sports to go to.

Don't think Nebraska's football success (from mostly 19 years ago and before) has much of anything to do with it.

And on a completely different side note, it's been 19 years since Nebraska won a conference title in football. It's been just about a full generation since they were a significant player on the national level.

#2029354 - 03/26/18 08:23 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

UGH.....so when do zengers and beatys contracts exprire?
Zenger's current contract runs through June 2021.

Beaty's current contract runs through the end of the 2021 football season.

Let the meltdown continue for 3 1/2 more years!! LOL

#2029357 - 03/27/18 07:07 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Good to see someone post other than cuckoo. The billboard is down so that part of the discussion is a moot point now. "

Disrespecting me as a poster really hurts!! This topic IS all about the billboard so if you are mute on it, quit posting here on this topic. The fact that the admin had to strong-arm a billboard company shows that the AD's office is getting paranoid. It did its purpose.

#2029366 - 03/27/18 12:31 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

"Good to see someone post other than cuckoo. The billboard is down so that part of the discussion is a moot point now. "

Disrespecting me as a poster really hurts!! This topic IS all about the billboard so if you are mute on it, quit posting here on this topic. The fact that the admin had to strong-arm a billboard company shows that the AD's office is getting paranoid. It did its purpose.

Ok... that’s already been said. I guess we could repeat it over and over again like you typically do but I don’t see the point or that it accomplishes anything.... but that has never deterred you so go for it. When the topic switches to zenger or Beaty I might jump in but I have no interest in the sign since it’s been removed so I will sit on the sidelines while you beat it to death.

Edited by track (03/27/18 12:45 PM)

#2029368 - 03/27/18 01:14 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beating a sign to death sounds preferable to discussing the issues you bring up. Like the idea of putting ignore in use...what happened to that idea?

#2029369 - 03/27/18 01:25 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Good point. You are the ideal person to use the ignore feature on. Thanks for reminding me.

#2029373 - 03/27/18 03:08 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

.....so when does Zenger's and Beaty's current contracts expire?
Zenger's current contract runs through June 2021.

Beaty's current contract runs through the end of the 2021 football season.

Let the meltdown continue for 3 1/2 more years!! LOL
Time for MORE billboards in the next three years!! LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview