Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2029345 - 03/26/18 04:43 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUHawkhead]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
...no matter HOW well the other athletic programs are doing.

Another question is if the football failures will infect other sports at some point. Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures. Football buys success in many of the non-revenue sports, we can't do that. Nebraska Gymnastics are ranked #5 for men and #11 for women by the NCAA. Does anyone believe its because of all the high school All-Americans produced in the state of Nebraska? Or is it because they continue to fill the stadium for football?

#2029347 - 03/26/18 06:40 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: PbBut]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
"Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures."
As you say, that's obvious....It is what everyone wants to avoid. At this point I don't care about the other minor sports. All our energy should be focused on football. Zenger has failed miserably with football. He needs to go....NOW....so a new AD can take a fresh unbiased look at the football program and make the appropriate fires and hires.

#2029350 - 03/26/18 07:13 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Unfortunately, the commentary from the younger sales/WEF reps at the Big 12 tournament is that Girod is against buyouts.

While the vast majority of people can agree that Zenger is a clown, the one person that needs to agree is too stubborn to pay to remove him.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2029352 - 03/26/18 07:32 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: dgless21]
track Offline
gale sayers

UGH.....so when do zengers and beatys contracts exprire?

#2029353 - 03/26/18 08:14 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: PbBut
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
...no matter HOW well the other athletic programs are doing.

Another question is if the football failures will infect other sports at some point. Obviously, if we get 'shut out' during the next major realignment, it will be because of football failures. Football buys success in many of the non-revenue sports, we can't do that. Nebraska Gymnastics are ranked #5 for men and #11 for women by the NCAA. Does anyone believe its because of all the high school All-Americans produced in the state of Nebraska? Or is it because they continue to fill the stadium for football?
Meanwhile KU is completely unranked and hasn't been ranked once in gymnastics since Zenger's arrival! Not once!! crazy <---me, not you! LOL

And on that last part, are there a lot of dual sport football players and men's/women's gymnastics? grin

On a serious note, I think there's nothing to the idea that bleed over from football is why Nebraska looks like it is doing well in gymnastics.

There's only 62 division I teams participating in women's gymnastics and only 17(!) in men's gymnastics. Only 21 schools in total participate in men's gymnastics across all divisions(DI, DII, DIII) even, so everyone but 1 school is in the top 20. That's the biggest reason why they appear to rank so highly, because not many schools have a team in either sport.

Same goes for things like wrestling, swimming & diving, Lacrosse and water polo, etc. If a school chooses to participate in one of these sports with much lower participation rates across the country they then instantly become one of the potential top(only) schools for athletes in those sports to go to.

Don't think Nebraska's football success (from mostly 19 years ago and before) has much of anything to do with it.

And on a completely different side note, it's been 19 years since Nebraska won a conference title in football. It's been just about a full generation since they were a significant player on the national level.

#2029354 - 03/26/18 08:23 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: track
UGH.....so when do zengers and beatys contracts exprire?
Zenger's current contract runs through June 2021.

Beaty's current contract runs through the end of the 2021 football season.

Let the meltdown continue for 3 1/2 more years!! LOL

#2029357 - 03/27/18 07:07 AM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
"Good to see someone post other than cuckoo. The billboard is down so that part of the discussion is a moot point now. "

Disrespecting me as a poster really hurts!! This topic IS all about the billboard so if you are mute on it, quit posting here on this topic. The fact that the admin had to strong-arm a billboard company shows that the AD's office is getting paranoid. It did its purpose.

#2029366 - 03/27/18 12:31 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
"Good to see someone post other than cuckoo. The billboard is down so that part of the discussion is a moot point now. "

Disrespecting me as a poster really hurts!! This topic IS all about the billboard so if you are mute on it, quit posting here on this topic. The fact that the admin had to strong-arm a billboard company shows that the AD's office is getting paranoid. It did its purpose.

Ok... that’s already been said. I guess we could repeat it over and over again like you typically do but I don’t see the point or that it accomplishes anything.... but that has never deterred you so go for it. When the topic switches to zenger or Beaty I might jump in but I have no interest in the sign since it’s been removed so I will sit on the sidelines while you beat it to death.

Edited by track (03/27/18 12:45 PM)

#2029368 - 03/27/18 01:14 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beating a sign to death sounds preferable to discussing the issues you bring up. Like the idea of putting ignore in use...what happened to that idea?

#2029369 - 03/27/18 01:25 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Good point. You are the ideal person to use the ignore feature on. Thanks for reminding me.

#2029373 - 03/27/18 03:08 PM Re: KU football Billboard on I-70 [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Originally Posted By: track
.....so when does Zenger's and Beaty's current contracts expire?
Zenger's current contract runs through June 2021.

Beaty's current contract runs through the end of the 2021 football season.

Let the meltdown continue for 3 1/2 more years!! LOL
Time for MORE billboards in the next three years!! LOL

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

Preview