Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2028211 - 02/23/18 11:20 AM A real cool school
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: az
https://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/inside-the-safest-school-in-america-1166029891710

So there ways to cut down if not completely eliminate school shootings. Granted, it is expensive but what parent or school district would not be in favor of participating in a fund raising campaign to have measures like the above installed to prevent a tragedy.
Even simply locking the entry doors could be a start. How much would it cost to have someone at the doors as a safety check. How much is a child's life worth? Answer: they're priceless.

#2028214 - 02/23/18 11:54 AM Re: A real cool school [Re: imzcount]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
Yeah, we will see how far that goes. Moore OK, the only school in the US to be hit twice by an EF4/EF5 tornado, in 13 years no less. The Oklahoma Gov calls for strong response and legislature adopts the use of most recent IBC which requires storm shelters in schools as the State Building Code. Then they realize what a FEMA safe room or an ICC 500 shelter costs. So Schools in Oklahoma are exempt from the storm shelter requirements if they prefer to spend the money on a football stadium instead of student safety.

Seatbelts are mandated in cars, the safety of children in school is optional.

#2028216 - 02/23/18 11:57 AM Re: A real cool school [Re: parkhawk3319]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

Pure laziness not to want to protect kids.

#2028226 - 02/23/18 02:42 PM Re: A real cool school [Re: imzcount]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Laziness? Naw, they are just cheap. Protecting kids would mean spending revenue they don't have. Increasing revenue would mean increasing taxes, they don't do that in Oklahoma.

#2028227 - 02/23/18 02:52 PM Re: A real cool school [Re: parkhawk3319]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
We have priorities, park. Endless tax cuts for billionaires and Wall Street trump the needs of the American people at large. The top one percent does not have enough of the wealth yet.

We can't keep giving billionaires tax breaks if we have to spend that money protecting our children.They don't even collect dividends.

#2028258 - 02/24/18 10:25 AM Re: A real cool school [Re: imzcount]
imzcount Offline
Max Falkenstien

“Demand what works,” he said. “Put armed security in every school. Fix the broken mental health system. Enforce the federal gun laws against every criminal thug on the street. Prosecute dangerous people when they show up to buy a gun. And, for God’s sake, put every prohibited person into the system. That’s what common-sense gun laws look like.” He said the NRA will provide free support through its School Shield program to help any school place armed security guards in its hallways.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/feb/22/wayne-lapierre-nra-ceo-cpac-calls-more-armed-secur/

#2028281 - 02/24/18 04:12 PM Re: A real cool school [Re: imzcount]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yes of course, rely on the NRA to make things better. They have done so much so far.

Preview