Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027971 - 02/18/18 07:13 PM Re: West Virginia vs Kansas [Re: Maximus]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Huggiebear gets the most out of his teams talent level. I will never take anything away from how hard his teams play. They play hard, foul hard, and come at you hard. Its up to the more talented teams to decide if they want to match that intensity. More often, more talented teams won't show up in that way to often.

Sure WVU fouls a lot. They do dare the officials to make calls, and for the better part of most games, they get away with it.

Even though Cincy played in the Big East for a few years, this is what made the Big East a collossal conference for decades. They played with this style of toughness and dared officials to make calls.

#2027972 - 02/18/18 07:31 PM Re: West Virginia vs Kansas [Re: Jaycat92]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: KS
Jay - I don't want to argue with you, and we may be talking apples and oranges. I admire toughness and intensity, BUT I see their style as far more than toughness and intensity. If you like it that's fine, I just flat don't. But that's fine.

#2028019 - 02/19/18 02:00 PM Re: West Virginia vs Kansas [Re: Maximus]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
No I don't like the rough and rugged style of play that WVU boasts having, but I do admire the fact that Huggie gets lesser players and they compete against 4 and 5 star recruits and win alot of games doing so.

Is this style of play fun to watch, hell no. Is is providing some level of toughness to measure yourself against, yes. Imagine if our Roy coached teams would have had to play against WVU back in he day? Imagine how much tougher we would have been come tourney time. Would have made some difference. Big East won alot more national titles than the Big 12. I think it gets misunderstood that physical play is not dirty play.

#2028027 - 02/19/18 03:07 PM Re: West Virginia vs Kansas [Re: Jaycat92]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Great, thboughtful posts Jaycat 92.

Have we all forgotten how Bill Self owns Roy Williams head to head because of style of play contrasts? Remember how UNC players acknowledged after 2008 and 2012 NCAA tourney losses that KU's physical style made the difference?

Self Illinois team that took out a much softer KU in the 2001 Sweet 16 provided the blueprint for how to beat Roy Williams' teams .It was a masterpiece.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview