Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2028008 - 02/19/18 12:03 PM Quadrant 1
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Even though I think this year's Hawks are a better team than what some of our fans are willing to admit, I must confess that the newest ESPN NCAA Bracket Prediction puzzled me giving us a # 1 seeding. I've also been surprised at some of their previous seedings of us. They keep talking about Q 1 wins. Guess I've been asleep on this as I had no idea what they were talking about. To date KU and UNC have 9 Q 1 wins, the most in the country. I looked it up and found that they now give more weight to winning on a neutral court and even more on winning or losing on the other team's court and they divide wins/losses into Q 1, Q 2, Q 3 and Q 4. I like this, at least for the final seedings. Everyone knows that it's harder to win (usually) on the other team's home court. This certainly ought to help teams that have to schedule away games in the pre-season. I believe this will give us better balanced seedings, though not perfect, for the NCAA Tournament. I think it's a good move whether it helps us or not, which it is so far this year.

#2028010 - 02/19/18 12:56 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Those of us that have been paying attention all season know KANSAS is not a #1 seed.

My eye test says we fall somewhere in the 3-4 seed range. We are a round of 32, maybe round of 16 team this season. No further.

If we got a #1 seed that would scare me to death.

#2028012 - 02/19/18 01:09 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I've been paying attention and I think you and a lot of others are too pessimistic. Time will tell about what will happen. I'll take whatever seeding we are given as I don't have any choice. Seeding isn't really my concern anyway, except maybe who we get seeded with. Neither are the polls. Self believes that this team isn't close to its ceiling, but I think we are edging up. This week will be a good test.

#2028013 - 02/19/18 01:22 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

HCBS can speak his coach speak all he wants. The calendar says otherwise. It is February 19th. We pretty much are what we are for this season.

#2028015 - 02/19/18 01:51 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
I agree with Michhawk. I think most around the country know what this team is by now. Self knows. I am sure in practice against the transfers and others sitting we can look really good and haven't shown that in some games.

I do have one theory on the post season. I have wondered at times this season if and when the conference race is over or has been decided, if this team will play somewhat looser and relaxed.

Our lack of depth is a glaring weakness. In seasons past we have had weaknesses, but not this glaring of a weakness. If we play anyone with the ability to drive to the hoop and get us in foul trouble, were in trouble. Outside of Svi, Newman and Graham having super hot shooting nights, we can get beat by anyone.

#2028017 - 02/19/18 01:54 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

For the record we are not a #1 seed this season. We are at the highest a #2 seed. I would prefer we were a 3 or 4 seed this season. This team scares me. I can see this being the team thats given a #1 seed and being the first one to lose to a #16 seed!

#2028018 - 02/19/18 01:55 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

All five starters have shown some really good games recently. If all five plus Garrett and Lightfoot get their acts together in the same game, look out, they will be hard for anyone to beat. Will they? Who knows. I hope so and I will remain optimistic. We don't even need all of them to be at the top of their game to come out on top, just most of them and no one laying any eggs.

#2028021 - 02/19/18 02:12 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
If all five plus Garrett and Lightfoot get their acts together in the same game, look out, they will be hard for anyone to beat. We don't even need all of them to be at the top of their game to come out on top, just most of them and no one laying any eggs.

Dude, you just described the recipe for success for every team in the field of 64. What team in the field of 64 wouldn't be successful if they did what you describe.

#2028022 - 02/19/18 02:19 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

If this team is firing on all cylinders they are certainly capable of making a run in March.

#2028032 - 02/19/18 03:29 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
If all five plus Garrett and Lightfoot get their acts together in the same game, look out, they will be hard for anyone to beat. We don't even need all of them to be at the top of their game to come out on top, just most of them and no one laying any eggs.

Dude, you just described the recipe for success for every team in the field of 64. What team in the field of 64 wouldn't be successful if they did what you describe.

Actually you are incorrect. There will be a good number of teams make the tournament that even if they play their very best won't be able to go all the way. They don't have good enough overall talent. If this Jayhawk team is clicking on all cylinders, they have enough talent to go all the way. Will they? At this point no one knows.

#2028035 - 02/19/18 04:08 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Maximus Online   confused
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
People project KU having a high RPI being rewarded if they also win projected Big 12 League and Big 12 Tournament titles.

#2028044 - 02/19/18 04:53 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I never have really given the conference tourney much of a boost for anything. This season, with our lack of depth, I don't care if we make it out of the first round or our first game.

Basically we know that WVU, OU, Texas Tech, and KU are locks for the tourney. Texas close, and Baylor needing a few more wins as well. I don't give alot of attention to the conference tourney. I think our seeding lines won't change much win or lose. Texas Tech could benefit from winning the tourney and getting a high seed (2) at best. REally after that, its all up for grabs.

#2028055 - 02/19/18 06:08 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jaycat92]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Baylor's wins over KU and TT gets them in.

KU probably a #1 seed if they selected today. Yeah i agree we aren't that consistent and dominant this year, but you could say that about every team except Nova and Michigan State.

Duke and UNC both have sputtered at times this season. Virginia too one-dimensional and Purdue and Cincy WAY overrated. Not impressed with Auburn. Xavier a sleeper. Parity in March Madness htis year, we've got a puncher's chance even with our worst overall team in years.

#2028066 - 02/19/18 11:39 PM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

All five starters have shown some really good games recently. If all five plus Garrett and Lightfoot get their acts together in the same game, look out, they will be hard for anyone to beat. Will they? Who knows. I hope so and I will remain optimistic. We don't even need all of them to be at the top of their game to come out on top, just most of them and no one laying any eggs.

Tonight we did what I was talking about today. All five starters had a really good game, double digit scores for all five of them. Dok did foul too much early on and it limited his minutes. That's where we've been the weakest, missing him while he's on the bench. But Lightfoot came in and really worked hard defensively during his seven minutes. But like Dok fouled too much. That's normally a really bad situation for us. But, wow! De Sousa came in and was a real asset, six rebounds and ten points. No misses out of three shoots and 4 for 4 from the line. Our weakest point is no longer our weakest! Our greatest need now is consistency. If we can achieve that, we will finish the season quite well, both the regular as well as the tourneys. I'm even more optimistic about this team. Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU!

#2028070 - 02/20/18 09:19 AM Re: Quadrant 1 [Re: MICHHAWK]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
It is February 20th. We pretty much are what we are for this season.

Care to revise that statement? De Souza, Lightfoot and Dok are still works in progress. See OK game replay if you doubt.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview