Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027829 - 02/15/18 04:14 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Best way not to be caught in a scandal is not to particpate.

J.C. Carleson

#2027843 - 02/15/18 09:17 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Who really knows right now. Watching ESPN, they claim that most of this new information is coming from an Agents emails and phone taps. This is all or part since the initial release of information in September, if I am hearing it right.

It mentioned that this involves schools that have suspended players this season already. Kind of vague, but it is hard to read into this.

Do I think that there is a grey area that we as a program may have skirted, sure. I think most schools hire compliance people so we can do things near the letter of the law. Would it surprise me if Addidas reps pushed or persuaded players our way, no. Would it surprise me if the only thing to come from this is heavy warnings, and a huge clean up taking place, NO.

I don't think that you will see many programs getting major sanctions. This is system wide. This is something that needs to be cleaned up across the nation. This starts with coaches policing their own programs. If coaches will not, then I would expect in the future, heavy violations will incur.

#2027844 - 02/15/18 09:24 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

The issue is most if not all shoe companies have been doing this for the better part of 2 decades. First of all, the NCAAA should have known that this would have been on the horizon. Shoe companies have been running the recruiting wars for years. So, in my opinion, this starts with the NCAA turning their heads, because of the money and sponsorship.

When schools are allowed to accept the highest bid for what brand of shoes they wear, thats powerful.

Because it was a system failure on all sides, I don't think that you will see major infractions handed out. This makes the NCAA look remarkably weaker than we thought.

#2027849 - 02/16/18 12:24 AM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: Jaycat92]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
There is a great book written about shoe company corruption of amateur basketball Sole Influence: Basketball, Corporate Greed, and the Corruption of America's Youth Witten as far back as 2000--

For those who care about the game, SOLE INFLUENCE sends a most disturbing message. Read it and weep. But read it. The nasty Vaccaro-Raveling rivalry and the story of Nike pitchman Myron Piggie are alone worth the price of admission to college basketball's house of horrors." (Armen Keteyian, CBS and HBO Sports) REVIEW "We always knew something stunk about basketball and the sneaker business, and SOLE INFLUENCE lets us know where the stench is coming from.... A most revealing and insightful book." -- Jackie MacMullan, Sports Illustrated

#2027905 - 02/16/18 08:46 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Welcome back JW. Stirring the pot on us ruralites I see.

I think Self is smart enough to keep himself insulated from these things. Boosters maybe.

#2027907 - 02/17/18 08:55 AM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Where is JW. I don't detect that limp wristed sucka anywhere..

#2027909 - 02/17/18 10:28 AM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
ESPN weenies trying to ruin our College Gameday with talk about the scandel. Poor timing...Gamedays are supposed to be about fun...amirite

#2027967 - 02/18/18 01:51 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Where is JW. I don't detect that limp wristed sucka anywhere..

JW and Kman had a disagreement on the football board a few months back, and I haven't seen JW around since...unless he created a new ID to post with.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2028198 - 02/22/18 08:08 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: dgless21]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

"Pay for play"--

Report: FBI Has Spreadsheets Detailing Payments to Families of College Basketball Players

Sports Illustrated
Among the reams of evidence collected by the FBI in its investigation of college basketball corruption are meticulous records of payments and scheduled payments to the families of players, Yahoo’s Pete Thamel and Pat Forde report.

The evidence is tied to former NBA agent Andy Miller and an associate of his, Christian Dawkins, who was arrested in September as part of the FBI’s probe. Miller, the founder and president of ASM Sports, relinquished his NBPA certification after Dawkins’s arrest.

“Sources familiar with the probe told Yahoo Sports that there’s a surprising level of specificity in the documents, bank records and wiretaps involving Miller’s business,” Yahoo reports. “They include exact dollar figures and intricate documentation of payments to the families of college players. There are also conversations brokering deals between Dawkins and the clients he was recruiting.”

Dawkins was notably tied to Louisville’s recruitment of top prospect Brian Bowen. Dawkins told an undercover FBI agent that he had “​spoken with [Louisville head coach Rick Pitino] about getting additional money for [Bowen’s’] family.” But the evidence collected by the FBI could implicate many more players.

“There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” Yahoo quotes a source as saying. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”

The scandal broke on Sept. 26 when several coaches, agents and other college hoops figures were arrested on federal conspiracy charges. Arizona, Louisville, Auburn, Miami, USC and Oklahoma State are all named specifically in the criminal complaint.

#2028213 - 02/23/18 11:38 AM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
Looks like we will have to sit Josh Jackson for the rest of the season just to be safe.

#2028219 - 02/23/18 01:39 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
Jman1 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: jahawker2004
"Pay for play"--

Report: FBI Has Spreadsheets Detailing Payments to Families of College Basketball Players

Sports Illustrated
Among the reams of evidence collected by the FBI in its investigation of college basketball corruption are meticulous records of payments and scheduled payments to the families of players, Yahoo’s Pete Thamel and Pat Forde report.

The evidence is tied to former NBA agent Andy Miller and an associate of his, Christian Dawkins, who was arrested in September as part of the FBI’s probe. Miller, the founder and president of ASM Sports, relinquished his NBPA certification after Dawkins’s arrest.

“Sources familiar with the probe told Yahoo Sports that there’s a surprising level of specificity in the documents, bank records and wiretaps involving Miller’s business,” Yahoo reports. “They include exact dollar figures and intricate documentation of payments to the families of college players. There are also conversations brokering deals between Dawkins and the clients he was recruiting.”

Dawkins was notably tied to Louisville’s recruitment of top prospect Brian Bowen. Dawkins told an undercover FBI agent that he had “​spoken with [Louisville head coach Rick Pitino] about getting additional money for [Bowen’s’] family.” But the evidence collected by the FBI could implicate many more players.

“There are spreadsheets detailing who got paid, how much they got paid and how much more they were planning to pay,” Yahoo quotes a source as saying. “The feds got everything they wanted and much more. Don’t think it will only be players who ended up signing with ASM that got paid. Those spreadsheets cast a wide net throughout college basketball. If your school produced a first-round pick in the past three years, be worried.”

The scandal broke on Sept. 26 when several coaches, agents and other college hoops figures were arrested on federal conspiracy charges. Arizona, Louisville, Auburn, Miami, USC and Oklahoma State are all named specifically in the criminal complaint.

I'm only gonna make one comment on this but I think it is poignant. \

So the Feds can do all this for a corrupt college sports basketball sport, but they can't do a lick of sh!t about a mentally deranged psychopath, whom they were tipped off about on more than 1 occasion and they NEVER LIFTED A FINGER? SMH.. Disturbing

#2028224 - 02/23/18 02:31 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: Jman1]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

What does that have to do with KU basketball?

You've been put on notice TWICE before--this board is for basketball. You wanna peddle a right-wing political agenda, go to Hawks on Politics. If you're afraid to defend your talking points over there (and you are) then keep them to yourself.

This will be the last time you try to start a political argument on the basketball board.

#2028225 - 02/23/18 02:38 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: Jman1]
parkhawk3319 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Bohemia
Yes, almost the entire FBI has been working on nothing but this 24/7 for the last 2 years and any crimes that have occurred during that time period can be tied to their fixation with the college sports investigation and inattention to "real" crimes. I agree, your comment is something, and the last three letters would definitely be "ant".

#2028241 - 02/23/18 07:21 PM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: jahawker2004]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Basically, all this is going to prove is that college sports in general is corrupt.....shocker. We pretty much already new this didn't we!

I don't like that we are linked to this, but we all knew that this was a possible act here with one and done players coming and going. Basically, any program that has recruited a one and doner will be implicated. Easy money for agents to recruit OAD players and contract future money.

The only thing that I find really ironic is the fact that so far, all coaches tied to this are all denying it. Is this ironic or what! Basically this is all for nothing. If all programs are implicated and punishment is handed out, college basketball will never be the same. Too much money would be lost, and therefore this will never happen.

#2028254 - 02/24/18 09:51 AM Re: SELF CONNECTED TO SCANDAL? [Re: Jaycat92]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
Basically, all this is going to prove is that college sports in general is corrupt.....shocker. We pretty much already new this didn't we!

no, that's an untrue statement. we didn't 'know' anything until the fbi got involved and yahoo started doing some actual sports journalism.

furthermore, there are 337 division one basketball programs. in general, they are not all corrupt. probably 10-15% are though.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview