Page 125 of 131 < 1 2 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 130 131 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027632 - 02/08/18 08:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! *** [Re: Kman_blue]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: KS
Yes, many if not most walk-ons don't make it to full scholarship level, but some do. Some even have outstanding careers. Many transfers and full scholarship studs don't make it a full 4 years either. For some reason here at Kansas the numbers are alarmingly high during the past decade or so. But at places like k-state they seem to beat the normal wash out rate. I believe
Gordy Nelson (not sure about the spelling) was a walk-on at first at ksu, but he had a pretty dam good college career and gets a rather good pay check from the GB Packers. Not too bad for a walk-on! Sure wished he would have been a Jayhawk and almost was. Hey don't forget "RUDY" from ND. Talk about being an inspiration and being a leader. I have known a few players over the years that started their careers as walk-ons, and my point is that walk-ons are GREAT for many reasons. So if only a few make it all the way, be happy and cheer for them. They are a special, courageous breed that truly can help a down and hurt program. And you know, maybe KU can't get all the highly touted scholarship players it wants, so quality walk-ons can be a great source of help. Sometimes, quality is more important than just quantity of numbers, especially when it comes to leadership.

#2027635 - 02/08/18 09:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Prairie hawk - good post. I worry we are only going to rely on it. Good job.

#2027644 - 02/09/18 03:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
prairiehawk Offline
Big Dipper

Loc: KS
I also hope we would not rely on it, but in the past I believe KU did not use the walk-ons as a resource. Nebraska used and I believe misused the walk-on system to their advantage. I would hope KU can get walk-ons that have great character, want to work incredibly hard, want to fit in to the team picture, and oh yes have a bit of a chip on the shoulder.

FWIT - When it comes to JUCO recruits, I hope KU continually focus on only the really good players. By really good players I mean the following: 1) good character - on and off the court, no problems with school or the law, 2) solid student - hopefully mid-year enrollment and ready for spring ball, 3) willing to play any position or any role - team player, no prima-donnas, 4) desire to work extremely hard, 5) very, very coachable - no head case, 6) already possess speed and/or strength - not someone we have to build up a lot to be ready, 7) seems like a leader - mature and plays smart ball, and 8) seems to be free of physical problems - from the past or trying to recover or rebuild a current problem. A way to increase success might be to place a high school player at a JUCO. Meaning a player that is maybe too small, or academically does not quite make it, but otherwise is a solid, hard working recruit. Then wait and see how that kid does? I know sometimes you lose a kid to someone else that way when he develops/matures , but sometimes it takes most of the risks away and it works just fine. I personally really like seeing the three year JUCO kid because often the JUCO kid takes a year of adjustment, then really produces the next year or hopeful two years.

During the past decade, prior to HCBD, we took too many JUCO players that did not fulfill hardly any of the above, and we know how that worked.

KU had a 4 star running back from Gardner, Ks ready to sign in 2014, but apparently did not qualify, a very talented player. He went to JUCO, then I lost track of him. Does anyone know what became of this player?

Edited by prairiehawk (02/09/18 03:28 PM)

#2027651 - 02/09/18 03:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: prairiehawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: prairiehawk
KU had a 4 star running back from Gardner, Ks ready to sign in 2014, but apparently did not qualify, a very talented player. He went to JUCO, then I lost track of him. Does anyone know what became of this player?

Played 1 year at Butler JUCO then dropped out. Think he enjoyed smokin a little sumthin sumthin more than he wanted to play football.

#2027653 - 02/09/18 05:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Played 1 year at Butler JUCO then dropped out. Think he enjoyed smokin a little sumthin sumthin more than he wanted to play football.

Was Brannen "Greene" his connection?

#2027661 - 02/10/18 10:55 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jman1

Was Brannen "Greene" his connection?
Traevon Wrench is the kid's name. Still looks healthy enough to be an athlete.

#2027677 - 02/10/18 03:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery

He couldn't even get on the field at Butler for the most part. He only played in 5 games, and he only carried it 16 times (fumbled once).

I know he had (very) questionable academics throughout HS, and I can't imagine he became a diligent, achieving student at JUCO. He fits quite well with the majority of Weis' underachieving recruits, regardless.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2027680 - 02/10/18 04:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

He had a 10 yd avg per carry - Traevon Wrench. Still lives in the KC area. Has never been arrested for pot smoking, distribution, etc.

Edit: He seems like a normal adjusted kid, unlike some posters on this board.

Weis has nothing to do with his lack of football achievement(in college, that is)..

#2027686 - 02/10/18 07:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

At least I’m not as negative as poster #1 & 2 here!!

#2027721 - 02/12/18 02:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Nikia Jones is visiting this week. He went unsigned on NSD.

Decent sized WR, 3 star, 6'3" 220 lb from OK.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/nikia-jones-38916

http://newsok.com/wagoners-nikia-jones-a-victim-of-ncaas-new-signing-date/article/5582995

Credit to DionChalupa on Phog.

#2027722 - 02/12/18 03:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21

http://newsok.com/wagoners-nikia-jones-a-victim-of-ncaas-new-signing-date/article/5582995

Hmmm.....do we have a scholarship available.....seems to be the key with this young man.

#2027724 - 02/12/18 03:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Originally Posted By: dgless21

Hmmm.....do we have a scholarship available.....seems to be the key with this young man.
Believe we still have at least 1 left and possibly 2.

Also hear, KU offered the previously discussed local guy (Robinson), the kind of PWO deal where we promised him a scholarship at the end of year 2 if he takes care of business or earlier if he really steps up. Then again, I've also heard as of a few days ago things were still in progress with him or i.e. nothing was set in stone either way.

Heard from an old friend who's son goes to the same school as Robinson who said he's a heavy KU lean and it's more of waiting to finalize the details type stuff. Of course, this is 3rd hand knowledge so take it for what it's worth.

#2027728 - 02/12/18 05:51 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
I’ll take anything positive I can get.... 3rd or 4th hand.

#2027734 - 02/13/18 08:22 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Blake Davis, a first team all-state punter out of Baton Rouge (Catholic-B.R. High School) received an offer to be a preferred walk-on.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4091111/Blake-Davis

#2028128 - 02/21/18 10:47 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

Hey KMan, are you going to go back to page 1 and recap where all the kids that we had in went to? Always interesting to see where the kids ended up at.

Page 125 of 131 < 1 2 ... 123 124 125 126 127 ... 130 131 >

Preview