Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027696 - 02/11/18 11:04 AM Under Pressure
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Sure we have limited front court...and guards with bipolar performances from game to game...no leadership...and Self being baffled and unable to coach em up. But maybe its a simple case also of this class feeling the pressure of breaking the conference title winning streak. Yes previously teams didn't want to be the team that didn't continue the streak or even tie the streak record.....but the team to break it ...thats tough...double tough....14X tough. Especially being limited like they are..sure they can still do it. But they need to be like Frankie Goes to Hollywood and RELAX...nomsayin

#2027698 - 02/11/18 11:38 AM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
AlOerter Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree. They just don't look like they're having fun playing the game they love. Their lack of quality depth is really hurting them. There are a lot of rebounds and loose balls that are going unchallenged.

Maybe Self just needs to tell them that there is nothing to loose and just have fun. Right now, offense, the one thing they have, is not even going well for them.

#2027699 - 02/11/18 01:40 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: AlOerter]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Yes, they are probably feeling the pressure, much of that from the fans, many who say that it will be a terrible thing to break the streak. It will end some day. No, it won't be a terrible thing. Whenever it ends, it will be when some are still on the team that helped keep it going. Yes, they can still win it this year. It is still in their hands, but they should relax and not worry about it. When it ends, it ends, the sun will come up the next morning.

#2027708 - 02/11/18 11:03 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Quit making excuses for a team that lacks depth, and overall talent. It comes down to the fact that we are not a talented team like the ones who won 13 in a row. Its not like we have even one all-american at this point. Mason willed this team last year to win games. Jackson was first round lottery talent. We didn't replace either one.

People ask yourself if this team is even remotely like any of those 13 that have won before it? Its not even close.

So far we don't have a consistent go to play or player. Graham and Svi are those guys on paper, but can come up short alot of the time.Our post presence and interior guru is a guy who missed most of last season and is actually in my opinion, still a freshmen in game experience. Dok is still learning what he can do. Vick has plainly disappeared. Newman, shows flashes, but then that light bulb goes out quickly. Cunliffe? Hell he doesn't get enough time to even show if he can play or not.
I have compared this team to the one in 1999. Were Iowa St this season. If we re hitting 3's, we can beat anyone. IF were not, we can be beaten by anyone.
Pressure. This is Kansas. Pressure will always be there to win and win many. Pressure is not an excuse for not winning.

#2027709 - 02/11/18 11:14 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: Jaycat92]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Don't think anyone is trying to make any excuses. Just stating reality. The team is what it is. Win or lose I stand with them as they need Jayhawk fans' support not our lambasting them. I stand by what I previously posted.

#2027711 - 02/11/18 11:27 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Understandable. This is Kansas. Dont come here if the pressure of winning gets to be too much. Expectations are a great thing and can be overwhelming, but we have a coach who gets that and a program that expects that. I don't see this KU team as a title contender. For fans to expect that is in some ways unrealistic at this point. We have lost games at home to Okie St and Texas Tech. You don't lose those two games if you plan on winning the Big 12. While we are not playing like Kansas of old, Texas Tech is a really good team this season. They are playing so far like a contender.

I think that this team puzzles people and thats why we have this discussion board in place. We see a team on some nights look the part of a champion, and on other nights look the part of a beaten warrior. Let the streak end, its ok.

This is Kansas, and we expect to win each and every season. Thats a fact and if Self has recruited a bunch of weak minded players who can't handle that pressure, well thats one him and those guys should not have come here. For the record, Self has done a tremendous job here and even he can't live up to the standards that he has set in place. Thats how consistent his program has become. This season is not over by a long ways, but I think that the bar is set so high that its hard to duplicate each season. The fact that we have kept that bar on top for 13 years is damn remarkable. It might be time for that bar to come down one rung and find some reason to get refueled once again.

#2027712 - 02/11/18 11:29 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Jaycat be dumb. Fact.is that there has been equally or less talented Jayhawk teams as this one...but they have managed to win the conference. It ain't over yet.

#2027714 - 02/12/18 07:37 AM Re: Under Pressure [Re: Jaycat92]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
The way this team has been playing the last couple weeks it is hard for me to muster up the confidence to think this group can win or get a share for #14.

This team has the talent. They don't have it between the ears. They don't have the testicular fortitude.

#2027715 - 02/12/18 10:08 AM Re: Under Pressure [Re: MICHHAWK]
rockjacque Offline
Baby Jay

You want presssure?? I'm not trying to be negative but realistic. Take a look at
the remaining regular season schedule: six games left and take a look at who
we play and where. The way the Jayhawks have played in their last six games it
is certainly within the realm of possibility of losing all six...what a horrible thought
but as horrible as it sounds possible.....19-12. Let's hope not!! Thinking about
number 14 at this point in my opinion is totally unrealistic.....rather we need to right the ship and start playing sound basketball again....you have to walk before
you can run!

#2027716 - 02/12/18 10:36 AM Re: Under Pressure [Re: rockjacque]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
We have 6 L's right now. The way the children are playing right now, we could absolutely stumble into the ncaa's with double digit losses. No doubt in my mind.

We have the talent. It is not a talent issue. It's a between the ears issue. It's a testicular fortitude issue.

#2027723 - 02/12/18 03:30 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Michhawk is into testicles...including his grandsons...oh my

#2027731 - 02/12/18 08:45 PM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Show me a team under Self with less talent?

Its ok to admit we don't have the talent level on this team like recent years. Its OK.

We don't have a lottery pick. Not sure we have a 1st rounder at this point. We have 2 seniors who were not good enough last year to go pro.

We will never know if Preston would have been what Jackson was for last years team. Things happened this season that were not on the radar. Think what this team might have looked like with Coleby or Bragg.

Gusher, Michawk-Tell one player on this team you would take over any other player at his position in the last 13 years? Would you take Graham over Sheron- Svi over Wiggins? Doka over Aldrich? Doka over Withey? Name me one player from this current set that you would take over others from the past?

If this team does win 14th, its alot of good coaching from Self and some gut checking from the players. It will be also because other teams choked.

#2027735 - 02/13/18 08:24 AM Re: Under Pressure [Re: PHOGUSHER]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

I would take Graham over Hawkins or Tharpe...Dok over Moody....Talent again is not the issue. Its lack of depth and want to. Something is mentally amidst with this team. Be it my aforementioned or maybe some bad team chemistry. It doesn't seem like these guys are having any fun at all.

Preview