Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027357 - 02/04/18 07:43 PM Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc!
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Even though 2019 offers have been going out for a couple of months now, I feel with KU's first Junior Day for 2019 recruits in the books, that the 2019 recruiting cycle has fully begun.

Here's a list of a few of the guys who visited for our Junior Day this weekend.

Quinton Hicks a 6'3" 230lbs. unrated LB out of Campus HS in Haysville, KS (SW Wichita suburb). He seemed to really enjoy himself during Junior Day here. Think he'd jump on a KU offer right now.

Jax Dineen a 5'11" 230lbs. 3 star FB out of Lawrence Free State HS and of course the younger brother of Joe and Jay. Kid is a mauler at FB and did really well this past season for Free State. Looked like their best player on the field most of the time.

Danielson Ike a 6'6" 315lbs. 4 star OT out of Rockhurst HS in Kansas City. Kid is a beast and plays hard. He's already got great size and good strength. Think he'll likely be the highest sought after 2019 recruit in the entire KC metro area.

Chester Kimbrough a 6'0" 175lbs. 4 star CB out of Warren Easton HS in New Orleans. Obviously the same HS where coach Hull used to be the HC at. Kid is a stud and another massive talent out of the state of Louisiana. Would be a huge deal if KU could get him, as were Pooka and Harris this past class.

Caleb Entienne a 6'6" 306lbs. 3 star OT also out of Warren Easton HS in NOLA. Big kid with a lot of potential. He'd be a really solid pickup for KU IMHO if we could land him.

Looks like both these guys made it too.

Clay Cundiff a 6'4" 220lbs. 3 star TE out of Bishop Carroll HS in Wichita. Don't know a lot about him, but heard he runs good routes and has good hands, so appears to be a good pass catching TE. Heard he loved the atmosphere of his visit and had a real good time.

Jayden Russell a 6'1" 180lbs. CB out of St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Overland Park, KS. Only saw or heard a little bit of him playing, but he plays real physical and shows good speed and hips in his coverage when I saw him. Heard he too really enjoyed his visit. Think he might have tweeted some positive KU stuff out too. Maybe somebody has seen it and can post, otherwise I'll look later on for it.

There were several others at the Junior Day, but those are some of the guys off the top of my head who I've heard about either being here or who had planned to be here, but I haven't heard anything about them since.

Edited by Kman_blue (02/04/18 09:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Wrong Hicks and updates on 2 guys.

#2027361 - 02/04/18 08:24 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Cooper Beebe - 6'3-310 DT from Piper High School in KCK was at the junior day.

Marcus Hicks was at Texas on Saturday and Texas A&M on Sunday.

#2027365 - 02/04/18 09:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Magicman

Interesting on Hicks, I must have him mixed up with someone else then.

#2027368 - 02/04/18 09:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Magicman

Figured it out! LOL

I meant Quinton Hicks, who I believe is a brother (or half-brother?) of Marcus.

Perhaps a Freudian slip of which Hicks I'd love KU to get the most? haha

I'll correct my original post. Thanks for the catch!

#2027369 - 02/04/18 09:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Guess I'll add some more info on Cooper Beebe, who Magicman brought up.

He's got offers from KU, Minnesota, and ksu right now and is currently rated a 2 star prospect by Rivals. He's got some maturing to do and needs to be in a little better shape(i.e. more weight room time) IMHO, but man oh man does this kid got some quick feet and wheels for a guy his size! Piper used him at FB some this year and he even out ran some guys on some plays for some medium long runs including at least 1 20+ yard TD run! He really has very good quick feet for his size and breaks down real well allowing him to change direction quickly (again for his size) whichever way he needs to go.

I predict this kid will be getting a couple bump ups in his star rating before next year's NSD as well as quite a few offers. Watch his videos to see just how surprisingly nimble he is. It's like watching a 310lbs. ballerina sometimes! LOL

#2027374 - 02/04/18 10:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just heard there were a few recruits in from the St. Louis area for KU's Junior Day as well. Still waiting to hear some names though. Looks like coach Ricker's connections to the St. Louis area may be already paying some dividends.

#2027385 - 02/05/18 08:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Kinda interesting that 247 has the second highest rated guy in KS as TE, but that guy hasn't even played a down of HS football from what I can find.

Blake Hinson. He's a decent basketball recruit as well. His brother is a TE at South Carolina.

Hasn't stopped him from getting a bunch of football offers.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Hinson-78308

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2027391 - 02/05/18 11:00 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He must have just moved to Wichita as he played all of his high school ball in Deltona, FL so far. Deltona is just inland from Daytona Beach on the Atlantic Coast. Kid is real tall, real athletic, real strong, and has good hands and decent speed. Easy to see why he has a lot of offers already. No doubt they were all given while he was still in Deltona most likely.

#2027504 - 02/06/18 05:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
2019 has to be a hit a homer year if the current staff is still around for year 5. Don’t see it happening...legacy Dineen would come to KU with or w/o Beaty.

#2027516 - 02/06/18 08:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Caleb Entienne a 6'6" 306lbs. 3 star OT also out of Warren Easton HS in NOLA. Big kid with a lot of potential. He'd be a really solid pickup for KU IMHO if we could land him.

Any relation to former KU LB Leo Etienne?

#2027530 - 02/07/18 08:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

It would appear they're not immediately related.

A brief google search has Leo Etienne working in Florida as a football coach and AD at a prep school.

#2027586 - 02/07/18 06:39 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
What about former Husker LB Leroy Etienne?

#2027592 - 02/08/18 12:20 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: INation

Any relation to former KU LB Leo Etienne?
Doubt it, as Leo was from Florida and his parents were immigrants from Haiti.

#2027593 - 02/08/18 12:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
What about former Husker LB Leroy Etienne?
Could be a distant relative as I think Leroy was also from Louisiana, but I believe he was from a small town somewhere and not the NOLA area.

#2027738 - 02/13/18 09:54 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Etienne surname in Louisiana is as common as smith. There must be 500,000 of them thar Etiennes running around NOLA and the bayous.

#2027741 - 02/13/18 01:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jman1
Etienne surname in Louisiana is as common as smith. There must be 500,000 of them thar Etiennes running around NOLA and the bayous.
The new culture around Lawrence will be including more of the Smiths and Etiennes in the near future...

#2027746 - 02/13/18 03:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
The new culture around Lawrence will be including more of the Smiths and Etiennes in the near future...

Let's just hope to God that they don't have 12 toes and webbed interspaces

Edited by Jman1 (02/13/18 03:07 PM)

#2027761 - 02/13/18 08:57 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Interestingly there's about 90 adults in Louisiana with the surname of Etienne and roughly 2,500 with the surname of Smith. About 2/3 of the Etienne families are from New Orleans and most of the rest are from the small town of New Iberia (believe this is where the Nebraska guy was from).

#2027781 - 02/14/18 05:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

i guess if those numbers are accurate, most of the Etienne women left and married a bunch of the Smiths

#2028331 - 02/25/18 01:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

#2028346 - 02/25/18 04:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

i guess if those numbers are accurate, most of the Etienne women left and married a bunch of the Smiths

Easy to check and see if you're right. How many Etienne-Smiths are there now.

#2028352 - 02/25/18 06:25 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: vmlb

Easy to check and see if you're right. How many Etienne-Smiths are there now.

#2028355 - 02/25/18 07:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sure looked like pulling teeth to get that Rivals guy to talk about KU's chances with him in that video. Kimbrough seemed much more interested in mentioning us and how we're one of the ones at the top of his list.

#2028367 - 02/26/18 09:22 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Lance LeGendre commits to KU.

4 star on Rivals, 3 star on 247.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/lance-legendre-181764

6'3", 205 lb, dual threat QB from NOLA (Warren Easton). Teammate of Chester Kimbrough (in the video above).

#2028371 - 02/26/18 10:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
There ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF we can hold on this will be our guy, and maybe key to landing yet another topper in teammate kimbrough. Hull making recruiting waves again...

Hi guys. I'm still around, just overwhelmed with duties so I have very little time for internet. Besides trying to keep up with my ranch work am commuting to be primary caretaker of my 92 yr old WWll vet dad who has lost his sight and mental capacities. Tough gig. I click in and read now and then when I see something fresh from dog or K, just have no chance for banter.
Keep up the good work guys. New class looks to have potential for renewed hope, although a year is a long time to hang on to guys like this one.

#2028373 - 02/26/18 11:24 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
There ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF we can hold on this will be our guy, and maybe key to landing yet another topper in teammate kimbrough. Hull making recruiting waves again...

Hi guys. I'm still around, just overwhelmed with duties so I have very little time for internet. Besides trying to keep up with my ranch work am commuting to be primary caretaker of my 92 yr old WWll vet dad who has lost his sight and mental capacities. Tough gig. I click in and read now and then when I see something fresh from dog or K, just have no chance for banter.
Keep up the good work guys. New class looks to have potential for renewed hope, although a year is a long time to hang on to guys like this one.
Thru 2015, my Dad was my responsibility as well. I don't envy your situation, my Dad was lucid until the end but blind. A WWII vet as well.

#2028380 - 02/26/18 01:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

How do we keep Tony Hull after Beaty? LSU or and SEC would give him 2 mil in a second.

Lets hope we can hold on to him. Also lets hope the local kids see this and joins the JayCrew19

#2028385 - 02/26/18 02:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

It's an interesting situation for a few reasons:

LSU had previous issues with its former NOLA recruiter (Jabbar Juluke) who was also a former HC in the area. He made less than Hull at about $265k.

LSU only pays ~$225k for it's current NOLA recruiter (Mickey Joseph) also a former HC in the area.

LSU has a stud RB coach that's a top notch national recruiter that worked with Orgeron at USC.

It's quite possible LSU pursued him and KU overpaid to keep him and his connections. Not that it changes the record, but the Pooka and Corione commitments are bigger wins than we've had on the field lately.

And then you can have the other reason like Lawrence is better than the south...or he doesn't want to leave his players...or he doesn't want to move his family...or he has more job security at KU...or whatever else.

#2028387 - 02/26/18 02:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Big get. Hopefully he stays. But this isn't a one hit wonder, Hull is making some bigger strides in NOLA.

#2028395 - 02/26/18 04:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: kylecof11]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Big get. Hopefully he stays. But this isn't a one hit wonder, Hull is making some bigger strides in NOLA.

Maybe so.....been my experience that these types of recruiting sources tend to dry up in less than three years. If Beaty and Hull are still around this time next year they might be able to keep it going for another year, but NOLA kids will soon forget all about Hull after 2020.

#2028397 - 02/26/18 05:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Awesome early get! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Mr. Legemdre!

Kid already has a Bama offer too and still chose to commit to KU. That's never a bad thing!

Of course, now the real battle to hold on to him until December when he hopefully signs begins.

As for coach Hull's recruiting abilities in the NOLA area and if they'll wane or not, they very well could some but the NOLA area is very relationship based in who people trust in my limited experiences down there. A lot of people down there trust coach Hull still and that carries a lot of weight and will continue to do so. Also, the guys we have been getting will be guys future recruits look to for feedback and will be guys they know personally a lot of times too. That should help in keeping some momentum down there going. I know Mike Lee and his experience up here in Lawrence played a big part in us getting and keeping several of our 2018 guys too. Hopefully that kind of positive feedback from other NOLA guys keeps on going.

Time will tell for sure and things can and do change, but for right now this is a really good get! Hopefully his teammate Kimbrough and a few others will follow.

#2028411 - 02/26/18 07:03 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Well we should be in the top 5 recruiting wise for 2019! LMAO

#2028417 - 02/26/18 07:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

If anyone thinks the NOLA connections will die out (bc the age disparity by 2020 I assume?) They know nothing about NOLA. I'm a Kansan but my dad has lived there my whole life. It is a completely different culture where community and loyalty are everything. As long as Hull is around he will be getting NOLA kids.

Edited by schmuck34 (02/26/18 07:59 PM)

#2028424 - 02/27/18 07:09 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Awesome early get! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Mr. Legemdre!

Kid already has a Bama offer too and still chose to commit to KU. That's never a bad thing!

Of course, now the real battle to hold on to him until December when he hopefully signs begins.

As for coach Hull's recruiting abilities in the NOLA area and if they'll wane or not, they very well could some but the NOLA area is very relationship based in who people trust in my limited experiences down there. A lot of people down there trust coach Hull still and that carries a lot of weight and will continue to do so. Also, the guys we have been getting will be guys future recruits look to for feedback and will be guys they know personally a lot of times too. That should help in keeping some momentum down there going. I know Mike Lee and his experience up here in Lawrence played a big part in us getting and keeping several of our 2018 guys too. Hopefully that kind of positive feedback from other NOLA guys keeps on going.

Time will tell for sure and things can and do change, but for right now this is a really good get! Hopefully his teammate Kimbrough and a few others will follow.

That is great! However I am not getting excited until he signs. A lot can happen between now and December. It is still good news but I think we learned last year oral commitments do not mean much.

#2028437 - 02/27/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Different year. Same Jackassery. Nice.

#2028438 - 02/27/18 01:52 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
That is great! However I am not getting excited until he signs. A lot can happen between now and December. It is still good news but I think we learned last year oral commitments do not mean much.
Same thing goes for every school's commits at this time of year. Nothing is set in stone until they sign on the dotted line.

With KU getting verbals from very highly sought after guys and not being a blue blood football program we're going to have to battle and fight for these guys to stay committed until signing day more so than most.

It's fun to get excited about getting verbals from such highly touted recruits as it does nothing but bring good press to the program if nothing else as well as some of them actually end up signing with us too. But you're right to keep in mind things can and do often change, including verbal commitments.

I still enjoy the excitement of getting these verbal commitments and fully understand why others remain cautious about it. I don't get the guys(not at all talking about you) who feel the need to crap all over it though.

#2028439 - 02/27/18 02:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Well said Kman. I am going to be positive about any recruit that commits.

#2028442 - 02/27/18 03:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Different year. Same Jackassery. Nice.
Just getting a little excitement going in our mythical top 5 recruiting class of 2019. I do recall this discussion in 2017 as we had a steep decline thru the year and some posters (not you, of course) had a bit of crow feathers poking out of their mouths.

#2028443 - 02/27/18 03:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
It's called a soft verbal commitment this far out into the future. He has a 'bama offer to mull over.

#2028445 - 02/27/18 04:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's called a soft verbal commitment this far out into the future. He has a 'bama offer to mull over.

Come on now! Why would ANY kid, 1 Star or 5 Star even consider a program like Alabama and a Coach like Saban when the legendary Dave Beaty is offering? The kid is a LOCK for KU. crazy

#2028447 - 02/27/18 04:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Josh2408 Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: Indiana
Well if we can win 4 games this year that would help ease his mind on staying committed to us

#2028448 - 02/27/18 04:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: Josh2408
Well if we can win 4 games this year that would help ease his mind on staying committed to us

lol

#2028449 - 02/27/18 05:00 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Pessimists are coming out of the woodwork.

#2028453 - 02/27/18 06:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Frankenhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Frankenhawk

lol
By we you mean the legendary Dave Beaty can win 4? WOW!

He already has won three. Lost thirty three. Just the facts.

#2028454 - 02/27/18 06:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Earned it.

#2028456 - 02/27/18 06:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Sadly, I think we can all understand pessimism based on the last few years.

It would certainly seem the goal of some is to see Beaty fail, so we can hire yet another head coach while ignoring/forgetting how poorly firing/hiring has gone for use lately and overlooking the difficulty of finding a top candidate when we continue to fire/hire at an unprecedented pace.

That being said, I can only hope Hull is retained in some capacity. He's done a helluva job considering the circumstances.

#2028457 - 02/27/18 06:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

My goal is to succeed. If Beaty was it, so be it. But I knew he was unqualified and said so. From the get go. His goal is to maximize salary and contract length until canned. It’s a fact.

#2028458 - 02/27/18 08:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I do recall this discussion in 2017 as we had a steep decline thru the year and some posters (not you, of course) had a bit of crow feathers poking out of their mouths.
Really? What posters are you referring to? What did they claim or say to have to eat crow? Did someone claim we were going to finish in the top 5 or top 10 or even top 20 or even top 30 in the nation in recruiting rankings? Cause I don't recall anyone making such claims or similar to it.

I also don't see how a steep decline through the year can result in KU's current 2018 class ranking being about 20 spots higher than it's lowest point throughout the year last year. That doesn't look like a steep linear decline as you seem to be suggesting.

Also thought your bar for a successful class for the 2018 class was a top 50 finish and KU is currently ranked in the top 50 for the 2018 class.

#2028459 - 02/27/18 08:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
My goal is to succeed. If Beaty was it, so be it. But I knew he was unqualified and said so. From the get go. His goal is to maximize salary and contract length until canned. It’s a fact.

I distinctly remember you being one of the idiots who predicted 5 wins the first year

#2028460 - 02/27/18 08:56 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Come on now! Why would ANY kid, 1 Star or 5 Star even consider a program like Alabama and a Coach like Saban when the legendary Dave Beaty is offering? The kid is a LOCK for KU. crazy
You do realize he had the Bama offer before he came up and made his unofficial visit to KU with his folks, before he spent a week talking it over with his folks and before he gave KU his verbal commitment, right? Cause this post reads like you don't.

#2028461 - 02/27/18 09:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21

Sadly, I think we can all understand pessimism based on the last few years.

It would certainly seem the goal of some is to see Beaty fail, so we can hire yet another head coach while ignoring/forgetting how poorly firing/hiring has gone for use lately and overlooking the difficulty of finding a top candidate when we continue to fire/hire at an unprecedented pace.

That being said, I can only hope Hull is retained in some capacity. He's done a helluva job considering the circumstances.
A lot of these posts go well beyond pessimism.

#2028462 - 02/27/18 11:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think there is a a lot of truth to this. If KU had won 4 games in 2017 I think it would have held on to a lot more of its 2018 recruits.

#2028463 - 02/28/18 07:51 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You do realize he had the Bama offer before he came up and made his unofficial visit to KU with his folks, before he spent a week talking it over with his folks and before he gave KU his verbal commitment, right? Cause this post reads like you don't.

Easy K-Man! I said the kid is a LOCK for KU. You just cited all the reasons the kid will stick to Beaty and Hull. Not a chance he flips. In two years, he'll be playing in front of hundreds and hundreds of rabid Jayhawk Grid Fans! I for one can't wait until he takes an "official" visit where Beaty can woo him with his home spun Texas wit and countless references to other "dudes". When he signs, it will be in blood, not ink. It's so exciting I can hardly contain myself!!!! laugh

#2028466 - 02/28/18 08:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

This is how I respond to good news, too.

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit? Well fuc|k! He's not going to sign here. I'm going to pout like an adult."

#2028468 - 02/28/18 08:48 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit? Well fuc|k! He's not going to sign here. I'm going to pout like an adult."
What happened to old fashioned sarcasm?

#2028469 - 02/28/18 08:50 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I think there is a a lot of truth to this. If KU had won 4 games in 2017 I think it would have held on to a lot more of its 2018 recruits.
They didn’t hire him to coach. Just recruit.

#2028471 - 02/28/18 09:11 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Go ahead and "pout". I'm too damn excited by the news to even function normally. grin

#2028472 - 02/28/18 09:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit?

Don't forget Beaty gave us a "verbal" about bowling last year. I suppose we simply misunderstood that he was talking about taking the kids to Jayhawk Lanes..... laugh

#2028473 - 02/28/18 09:16 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: track

I distinctly remember you being one of the idiots who predicted 5 wins the first year

Right, but the coach *he* would've hired (that showed no interest) would've won us like 17 because we would've been so good that the NFL subbed us in for the Browns for a few games.

Our talent level post-Weis (you know he was a COY at ND) was so high that we only needed 50 scholarship guys to win those 17 games, too, so the new coach would've saved us money by having those 35 unused scholarships.

#2028475 - 02/28/18 09:40 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Don't forget Beaty gave us a "verbal" about bowling last year. I suppose we simply misunderstood that he was talking about taking the kids to Jayhawk Lanes..... laugh

The KSU fans are going to be upset about you stealing their jokes.

I can't have a coach with high expectations at KU football. I'm going to need a chat with Zenger about this one. That's the final straw.

#2028476 - 02/28/18 10:14 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Right, but the coach *he* would've hired (that showed no interest) would've won us like 17 because we would've been so good that the NFL subbed us in for the Browns for a few games.

Our talent level post-Weis (you know he was a COY at ND) was so high that we only needed 50 scholarship guys to win those 17 games, too, so the new coach would've saved us money by having those 35 unused scholarships.
Exactly, I agree CW was as good as Saban when he was still healthy and on weightwatchers diet. NCOY is the correct award...

Edit: The top 50 ranking is where I said Beaty should land for 2018 recruiting class, not that it was successful, by any means. Way different meaning, kman.

#2028478 - 02/28/18 10:34 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Easy K-Man! I said the kid is a LOCK for KU. You just cited all the reasons the kid will stick to Beaty and Hull. Not a chance he flips. In two years, he'll be playing in front of hundreds and hundreds of rabid Jayhawk Grid Fans! I for one can't wait until he takes an "official" visit where Beaty can woo him with his home spun Texas wit and countless references to other "dudes". When he signs, it will be in blood, not ink. It's so exciting I can hardly contain myself!!!! laugh
LOL

You really are bitter! haha

Man, It'd probably be fun watching you yell at kids on your lawn, cars going "too fast" in front of your house, and neighbors making too much noise at the ungodly hour of 8pm. grin

Just giving you a little ribbing man!

#2028481 - 02/28/18 11:17 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Edit: The top 50 ranking is where I said Beaty should land for 2018 recruiting class, not that it was successful, by any means. Way different meaning, kman.

Really? Can't keep your ever shifting goal posts and lies straight can ya? Cause last May you said in your post here,

If you recall, I said we would be highly successful if we maintained a position in the top 50. I was slammed for being realistic... "He doesn't have facts." and so on...

So now, it's gone from a top 50 ranked class would be highly successful (not merely successful, but HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL) to now that's where it should be followed by a "big difference".

Huh, you lying now or lying then or lying both times or just so full of it you can't keep it all straight?

#2028482 - 02/28/18 11:18 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Man, It'd probably be fun watching you yell at kids on your lawn, cars going "too fast" in front of your house, and neighbors making too much noise at the ungodly hour of 8pm. grin

I'm not quite that bad! blush But I am very bitter about the state of KU Football. There is absolutely NO REASON for a school like KU to have a disgrace for a football program. Zenger could easily be the very worst hire as an AD in our history, and that's saying something when one looks at the lineup of AD's we've had.

When I look at the amount of money I have personally forked over through the past 5 decades and what the Athletic Department has returned for that investment....then I multiply that number by what John Brown calls the "Iron Arses", the 30 k who always showed up through thick or thin, it makes my blood boil. Due to that, I have made it very clear to Zenger and those trying to peddle season tickets what it will take to regain my monetary support. Verbals from 4 Star recruits isn't on that list. Stadium renovations isn't going to sway me either.

What will? Simple! Improve the product on the field. Show me some competitive football again.....they don't even need to win, though that would be a plus. But after three seasons, Beaty has shown me nothing.

#2028483 - 02/28/18 11:28 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm not quite that bad! blush But I am very bitter about the state of KU Football. There is absolutely NO REASON for a school like KU to have a disgrace for a football program. Zenger could easily be the very worst hire as an AD in our history, and that's saying something when one looks at the lineup of AD's we've had.

When I look at the amount of money I have personally forked over through the past 5 decades and what the Athletic Department has returned for that investment....then I multiply that number by what John Brown calls the "Iron Arses", the 30 k who always showed up through thick or thin, it makes my blood boil. Due to that, I have made it very clear to Zenger and those trying to peddle season tickets what it will take to regain my monetary support. Verbals from 4 Star recruits isn't on that list. Stadium renovations isn't going to sway me either.

What will? Simple! Improve the product on the field. Show me some competitive football again.....they don't even need to win, though that would be a plus. But after three seasons, Beaty has shown me nothing.
I get it.

I just think you're letting that bleed over onto these recruits and their decisions a bit too much.

And just to correct some of my previous info. I confused Legendre's visit with that of another recruit. Legendre visited almost 4 weeks ago and word is he wanted to commit before he left, but was encouraged to think about it some more to make sure. He spent 3 weeks talking things over with his parents and still wanted to commit to KU, even after the Bama offer came in right after his visit to KU.

Anything can happen, but my read on this kid is he sounds a lot like Pooka and Harris in the type of guys who'll stick til signing day.

#2028484 - 02/28/18 11:31 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Really? Can't keep your ever shifting goal posts and lies straight can ya? Cause last May you said in your post here,

If you recall, I said we would be highly successful if we maintained a position in the top 50. I was slammed for being realistic... "He doesn't have facts." and so on...

So now, it's gone from a top 50 ranked class would be highly successful (not merely successful, but HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL) to now that's where it should be followed by a "big difference".

Huh, you lying now or lying then or lying both times or just so full of it you can't keep it all straight?
You ARE full of it. At the time I said the above we languished at 70-80 ranking (247 source). Yes, it would be highly successful to rebound to above 50.

Edit: Must be off season, both you and track are reviewing my facts posted from prior years (2017 and 2015, respectively).

BTW, here is the official overall record of David Beaty:

3–33 (college)
39–15 (high school)

In case anyone knows why kman defends this, let me know...

#2028488 - 02/28/18 02:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

Recruiting question:

Bishop Miege one of the top 50-75 high school teams in America is 40 minutes from KU, why isn't there a pipeline from Miege to KU? IMO there should be at least 1 kid every year from them. Those kids know how to win and we need that mentality. Who again is the KC recruiter?

#2028489 - 02/28/18 02:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Travis Releford comes to my mind in basketball but nobody football wise immediately that I remember.

Four straight state championships...

#2028490 - 02/28/18 02:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
We have had a bunch of Miege players in recent year that haven't panned out. Montell Cozart and Ryan Willis come to mind. Wasn't McCay from Miege as well?

#2028491 - 02/28/18 02:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
We have had much better luck with the recruits we get from Free State rather than Miege.

#2028492 - 02/28/18 03:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Recruiting question:

Bishop Miege one of the top 50-75 high school teams in America is 40 minutes from KU, why isn't there a pipeline from Miege to KU? IMO there should be at least 1 kid every year from them. Those kids know how to win and we need that mentality. Who again is the KC recruiter?

Coach Fambrough had a very solid Miege pipeline during both of his stints as head man. What had changed is IMHO an attitude since the advent of the Big XII that the only good players are from Texas. KU doesn't seem to care much at all about closing the borders of the state...Snyder is the one who seems to think one can have a successful program with Kansas kids.

And when looking back on our history, the BEST Jayhawk Grid Teams, were loaded with Kansas talent. From Ray Evans to Hadl, Hadl to Bobby Douglas, Douglas to Jaynes...throw in a few Riggins and Zook boys, a Steve Towle, Terry Beason, Nolan Cromwell, Billy Campfield, Laverne Smith and one of my all time favorites, Bruce Adams from Miege......there is a KANSAS flavor to any success we have really enjoyed.

#2028493 - 02/28/18 03:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I get it.

I just think you're letting that bleed over onto these recruits and their decisions a bit too much.

And just to correct some of my previous info. I confused Legendre's visit with that of another recruit. Legendre visited almost 4 weeks ago and word is he wanted to commit before he left, but was encouraged to think about it some more to make sure. He spent 3 weeks talking things over with his parents and still wanted to commit to KU, even after the Bama offer came in right after his visit to KU.

Anything can happen, but my read on this kid is he sounds a lot like Pooka and Harris in the type of guys who'll stick til signing day.

Was that the KU staff that told him to think it over? If so that may be smart on their part. Keep guys from verballing when they are all excited and then backing out. Hopefully he has thought it through and this will have him and other recruits like him actually sign with KU.

No matter what we are going to have to suffer through other schools calling on him, and stories of those schools making a push for him.

The best thing to keep him and other recruits is WIN some games!

#2028494 - 02/28/18 03:55 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Recruiting question:

Miege didn't have much last year as far as P5 recruits.

The year before, Colbert was committed very early to Iowa, and Jafar was headed to Mizzou before Notre Dame offered and changed his mind.

All of their 2019 and 2020 guys on rivals are unrated. One (Daniel Jackson) has an offer from Iowa State; the other six or seven guys combine for one offer from Colgate.

#2028495 - 02/28/18 03:56 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Topcitykid10 Offline
Big Dipper

[quote

Coach Fambrough had a very solid Miege pipeline during both of his stints as head man. What had changed is IMHO an attitude since the advent of the Big XII that the only good players are from Texas. KU doesn't seem to care much at all about closing the borders of the state...Snyder is the one who seems to think one can have a successful program with Kansas kids.

And when looking back on our history, the BEST Jayhawk Grid Teams, were loaded with Kansas talent. From Ray Evans to Hadl, Hadl to Bobby Douglas, Douglas to Jaynes...throw in a few Riggins and Zook boys, a Steve Towle, Terry Beason, Nolan Cromwell, Billy Campfield, Laverne Smith and one of my all time favorites, Bruce Adams from Miege......there is a KANSAS flavor to any success we have really enjoyed. [/quote]

Just hard to think that since the school having won 4 state titles in a row we couldn't use any of their kids? They are doing something right over there. Other coaches in the state want the government to get involved by changing some rules.

#2028499 - 02/28/18 06:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

#2028501 - 02/28/18 06:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage

#2028505 - 02/28/18 09:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage
dgless was telling us the opposite, that BM was filled with low ranked players who were able to overcome. State championship ensued

#2028511 - 03/01/18 12:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Was that the KU staff that told him to think it over? If so that may be smart on their part. Keep guys from verballing when they are all excited and then backing out. Hopefully he has thought it through and this will have him and other recruits like him actually sign with KU.

No matter what we are going to have to suffer through other schools calling on him, and stories of those schools making a push for him.

The best thing to keep him and other recruits is WIN some games!
Think it was a mutual decision between his family and the coaches.

#2028512 - 03/01/18 12:12 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Private schools at all levels can do and get away with a ton more things than public schools can and that includes the college level.

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

#2028515 - 03/01/18 09:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

Public or private, it makes no difference!

There was a history professor at Washburn back in the mid 70's who came there via UNL. In the early 70's he had three Husker Gridders turn in IDENTICAL term papers. When none of them fessed up to this HUGE coincidence, he flunked them all. They ended up passing and he lost his job.

It's be going on for years and years and it isn't going to stop. The "elite" college athletes will always have smooth sailing through any rough waters that academics might present. The hoops one and dones are currently the best example. At best they need to focus for a single semester of survey coursework. Kids that do get degrees in something besides "International Basket Weaving" or " Anitfa in the workplace" should be commended. Besides walkons, I think for anyone to call these kids "Student Athletes" is pretty funny in my book.

#2028531 - 03/01/18 12:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

#2028534 - 03/01/18 05:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

NCAA? N ever C atch A ny A thlete

#2028537 - 03/01/18 06:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

That's not true. They'll crack down on any athlete trying to make some money.

#2028544 - 03/01/18 08:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Only if they're at an FCS or possibly low P-5 level school and below. Can't upset the NCAA money train too much!

#2028545 - 03/01/18 08:43 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Public or private, it makes no difference!
I get your point, but there's still a big difference in what private schools can and do get away with. Also, my back in the day story was from the 1990's after the NCAA had started cracking down on the egregious type stuff the corn were doing in your example.

#2029388 - 03/28/18 11:29 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.

#2029396 - 03/28/18 06:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I believe we got Jalan signed because Emery is going the JUCO route if rumors are correct.

#2029666 - 04/04/18 10:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.
That tells you all you need to know. "see the success"? Where?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview