Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027357 - 02/04/18 07:43 PM Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc!
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Even though 2019 offers have been going out for a couple of months now, I feel with KU's first Junior Day for 2019 recruits in the books, that the 2019 recruiting cycle has fully begun.

Here's a list of a few of the guys who visited for our Junior Day this weekend.

Quinton Hicks a 6'3" 230lbs. unrated LB out of Campus HS in Haysville, KS (SW Wichita suburb). He seemed to really enjoy himself during Junior Day here. Think he'd jump on a KU offer right now.

Jax Dineen a 5'11" 230lbs. 3 star FB out of Lawrence Free State HS and of course the younger brother of Joe and Jay. Kid is a mauler at FB and did really well this past season for Free State. Looked like their best player on the field most of the time.

Danielson Ike a 6'6" 315lbs. 4 star OT out of Rockhurst HS in Kansas City. Kid is a beast and plays hard. He's already got great size and good strength. Think he'll likely be the highest sought after 2019 recruit in the entire KC metro area.

Chester Kimbrough a 6'0" 175lbs. 4 star CB out of Warren Easton HS in New Orleans. Obviously the same HS where coach Hull used to be the HC at. Kid is a stud and another massive talent out of the state of Louisiana. Would be a huge deal if KU could get him, as were Pooka and Harris this past class.

Caleb Entienne a 6'6" 306lbs. 3 star OT also out of Warren Easton HS in NOLA. Big kid with a lot of potential. He'd be a really solid pickup for KU IMHO if we could land him.

Looks like both these guys made it too.

Clay Cundiff a 6'4" 220lbs. 3 star TE out of Bishop Carroll HS in Wichita. Don't know a lot about him, but heard he runs good routes and has good hands, so appears to be a good pass catching TE. Heard he loved the atmosphere of his visit and had a real good time.

Jayden Russell a 6'1" 180lbs. CB out of St. Thomas Aquinas HS in Overland Park, KS. Only saw or heard a little bit of him playing, but he plays real physical and shows good speed and hips in his coverage when I saw him. Heard he too really enjoyed his visit. Think he might have tweeted some positive KU stuff out too. Maybe somebody has seen it and can post, otherwise I'll look later on for it.

There were several others at the Junior Day, but those are some of the guys off the top of my head who I've heard about either being here or who had planned to be here, but I haven't heard anything about them since.

Edited by Kman_blue (02/04/18 09:54 PM)
Edit Reason: Wrong Hicks and updates on 2 guys.

#2027361 - 02/04/18 08:24 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Cooper Beebe - 6'3-310 DT from Piper High School in KCK was at the junior day.

Marcus Hicks was at Texas on Saturday and Texas A&M on Sunday.

#2027365 - 02/04/18 09:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Magicman

Interesting on Hicks, I must have him mixed up with someone else then.

#2027368 - 02/04/18 09:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Magicman

Figured it out! LOL

I meant Quinton Hicks, who I believe is a brother (or half-brother?) of Marcus.

Perhaps a Freudian slip of which Hicks I'd love KU to get the most? haha

I'll correct my original post. Thanks for the catch!

#2027369 - 02/04/18 09:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Guess I'll add some more info on Cooper Beebe, who Magicman brought up.

He's got offers from KU, Minnesota, and ksu right now and is currently rated a 2 star prospect by Rivals. He's got some maturing to do and needs to be in a little better shape(i.e. more weight room time) IMHO, but man oh man does this kid got some quick feet and wheels for a guy his size! Piper used him at FB some this year and he even out ran some guys on some plays for some medium long runs including at least 1 20+ yard TD run! He really has very good quick feet for his size and breaks down real well allowing him to change direction quickly (again for his size) whichever way he needs to go.

I predict this kid will be getting a couple bump ups in his star rating before next year's NSD as well as quite a few offers. Watch his videos to see just how surprisingly nimble he is. It's like watching a 310lbs. ballerina sometimes! LOL

#2027374 - 02/04/18 10:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just heard there were a few recruits in from the St. Louis area for KU's Junior Day as well. Still waiting to hear some names though. Looks like coach Ricker's connections to the St. Louis area may be already paying some dividends.

#2027385 - 02/05/18 08:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Kinda interesting that 247 has the second highest rated guy in KS as TE, but that guy hasn't even played a down of HS football from what I can find.

Blake Hinson. He's a decent basketball recruit as well. His brother is a TE at South Carolina.

Hasn't stopped him from getting a bunch of football offers.

https://247sports.com/Player/Blake-Hinson-78308

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2027391 - 02/05/18 11:00 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He must have just moved to Wichita as he played all of his high school ball in Deltona, FL so far. Deltona is just inland from Daytona Beach on the Atlantic Coast. Kid is real tall, real athletic, real strong, and has good hands and decent speed. Easy to see why he has a lot of offers already. No doubt they were all given while he was still in Deltona most likely.

#2027504 - 02/06/18 05:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
2019 has to be a hit a homer year if the current staff is still around for year 5. Don’t see it happening...legacy Dineen would come to KU with or w/o Beaty.

#2027516 - 02/06/18 08:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Caleb Entienne a 6'6" 306lbs. 3 star OT also out of Warren Easton HS in NOLA. Big kid with a lot of potential. He'd be a really solid pickup for KU IMHO if we could land him.

Any relation to former KU LB Leo Etienne?

#2027530 - 02/07/18 08:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

It would appear they're not immediately related.

A brief google search has Leo Etienne working in Florida as a football coach and AD at a prep school.

#2027586 - 02/07/18 06:39 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
What about former Husker LB Leroy Etienne?

#2027592 - 02/08/18 12:20 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: INation

Any relation to former KU LB Leo Etienne?
Doubt it, as Leo was from Florida and his parents were immigrants from Haiti.

#2027593 - 02/08/18 12:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
What about former Husker LB Leroy Etienne?
Could be a distant relative as I think Leroy was also from Louisiana, but I believe he was from a small town somewhere and not the NOLA area.

#2027738 - 02/13/18 09:54 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Etienne surname in Louisiana is as common as smith. There must be 500,000 of them thar Etiennes running around NOLA and the bayous.

#2027741 - 02/13/18 01:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jman1
Etienne surname in Louisiana is as common as smith. There must be 500,000 of them thar Etiennes running around NOLA and the bayous.
The new culture around Lawrence will be including more of the Smiths and Etiennes in the near future...

#2027746 - 02/13/18 03:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
The new culture around Lawrence will be including more of the Smiths and Etiennes in the near future...

Let's just hope to God that they don't have 12 toes and webbed interspaces

Edited by Jman1 (02/13/18 03:07 PM)

#2027761 - 02/13/18 08:57 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Interestingly there's about 90 adults in Louisiana with the surname of Etienne and roughly 2,500 with the surname of Smith. About 2/3 of the Etienne families are from New Orleans and most of the rest are from the small town of New Iberia (believe this is where the Nebraska guy was from).

#2027781 - 02/14/18 05:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

i guess if those numbers are accurate, most of the Etienne women left and married a bunch of the Smiths

#2028331 - 02/25/18 01:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

#2028346 - 02/25/18 04:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

i guess if those numbers are accurate, most of the Etienne women left and married a bunch of the Smiths

Easy to check and see if you're right. How many Etienne-Smiths are there now.

#2028352 - 02/25/18 06:25 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: vmlb

Easy to check and see if you're right. How many Etienne-Smiths are there now.

#2028355 - 02/25/18 07:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sure looked like pulling teeth to get that Rivals guy to talk about KU's chances with him in that video. Kimbrough seemed much more interested in mentioning us and how we're one of the ones at the top of his list.

#2028367 - 02/26/18 09:22 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Lance LeGendre commits to KU.

4 star on Rivals, 3 star on 247.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/lance-legendre-181764

6'3", 205 lb, dual threat QB from NOLA (Warren Easton). Teammate of Chester Kimbrough (in the video above).

#2028371 - 02/26/18 10:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
There ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF we can hold on this will be our guy, and maybe key to landing yet another topper in teammate kimbrough. Hull making recruiting waves again...

Hi guys. I'm still around, just overwhelmed with duties so I have very little time for internet. Besides trying to keep up with my ranch work am commuting to be primary caretaker of my 92 yr old WWll vet dad who has lost his sight and mental capacities. Tough gig. I click in and read now and then when I see something fresh from dog or K, just have no chance for banter.
Keep up the good work guys. New class looks to have potential for renewed hope, although a year is a long time to hang on to guys like this one.

#2028373 - 02/26/18 11:24 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
There ya go!!!!!!!!!!!!
IF we can hold on this will be our guy, and maybe key to landing yet another topper in teammate kimbrough. Hull making recruiting waves again...

Hi guys. I'm still around, just overwhelmed with duties so I have very little time for internet. Besides trying to keep up with my ranch work am commuting to be primary caretaker of my 92 yr old WWll vet dad who has lost his sight and mental capacities. Tough gig. I click in and read now and then when I see something fresh from dog or K, just have no chance for banter.
Keep up the good work guys. New class looks to have potential for renewed hope, although a year is a long time to hang on to guys like this one.
Thru 2015, my Dad was my responsibility as well. I don't envy your situation, my Dad was lucid until the end but blind. A WWII vet as well.

#2028380 - 02/26/18 01:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Topcitykid10 Online   content
John Brown

How do we keep Tony Hull after Beaty? LSU or and SEC would give him 2 mil in a second.

Lets hope we can hold on to him. Also lets hope the local kids see this and joins the JayCrew19

#2028385 - 02/26/18 02:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

It's an interesting situation for a few reasons:

LSU had previous issues with its former NOLA recruiter (Jabbar Juluke) who was also a former HC in the area. He made less than Hull at about $265k.

LSU only pays ~$225k for it's current NOLA recruiter (Mickey Joseph) also a former HC in the area.

LSU has a stud RB coach that's a top notch national recruiter that worked with Orgeron at USC.

It's quite possible LSU pursued him and KU overpaid to keep him and his connections. Not that it changes the record, but the Pooka and Corione commitments are bigger wins than we've had on the field lately.

And then you can have the other reason like Lawrence is better than the south...or he doesn't want to leave his players...or he doesn't want to move his family...or he has more job security at KU...or whatever else.

#2028387 - 02/26/18 02:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Big get. Hopefully he stays. But this isn't a one hit wonder, Hull is making some bigger strides in NOLA.

#2028395 - 02/26/18 04:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: kylecof11]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Big get. Hopefully he stays. But this isn't a one hit wonder, Hull is making some bigger strides in NOLA.

Maybe so.....been my experience that these types of recruiting sources tend to dry up in less than three years. If Beaty and Hull are still around this time next year they might be able to keep it going for another year, but NOLA kids will soon forget all about Hull after 2020.

#2028397 - 02/26/18 05:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Awesome early get! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Mr. Legemdre!

Kid already has a Bama offer too and still chose to commit to KU. That's never a bad thing!

Of course, now the real battle to hold on to him until December when he hopefully signs begins.

As for coach Hull's recruiting abilities in the NOLA area and if they'll wane or not, they very well could some but the NOLA area is very relationship based in who people trust in my limited experiences down there. A lot of people down there trust coach Hull still and that carries a lot of weight and will continue to do so. Also, the guys we have been getting will be guys future recruits look to for feedback and will be guys they know personally a lot of times too. That should help in keeping some momentum down there going. I know Mike Lee and his experience up here in Lawrence played a big part in us getting and keeping several of our 2018 guys too. Hopefully that kind of positive feedback from other NOLA guys keeps on going.

Time will tell for sure and things can and do change, but for right now this is a really good get! Hopefully his teammate Kimbrough and a few others will follow.

#2028411 - 02/26/18 07:03 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Well we should be in the top 5 recruiting wise for 2019! LMAO

#2028417 - 02/26/18 07:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

If anyone thinks the NOLA connections will die out (bc the age disparity by 2020 I assume?) They know nothing about NOLA. I'm a Kansan but my dad has lived there my whole life. It is a completely different culture where community and loyalty are everything. As long as Hull is around he will be getting NOLA kids.

Edited by schmuck34 (02/26/18 07:59 PM)

#2028424 - 02/27/18 07:09 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Awesome early get! Welcome to the Jayhawk family Mr. Legemdre!

Kid already has a Bama offer too and still chose to commit to KU. That's never a bad thing!

Of course, now the real battle to hold on to him until December when he hopefully signs begins.

As for coach Hull's recruiting abilities in the NOLA area and if they'll wane or not, they very well could some but the NOLA area is very relationship based in who people trust in my limited experiences down there. A lot of people down there trust coach Hull still and that carries a lot of weight and will continue to do so. Also, the guys we have been getting will be guys future recruits look to for feedback and will be guys they know personally a lot of times too. That should help in keeping some momentum down there going. I know Mike Lee and his experience up here in Lawrence played a big part in us getting and keeping several of our 2018 guys too. Hopefully that kind of positive feedback from other NOLA guys keeps on going.

Time will tell for sure and things can and do change, but for right now this is a really good get! Hopefully his teammate Kimbrough and a few others will follow.

That is great! However I am not getting excited until he signs. A lot can happen between now and December. It is still good news but I think we learned last year oral commitments do not mean much.

#2028437 - 02/27/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Different year. Same Jackassery. Nice.

#2028438 - 02/27/18 01:52 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
That is great! However I am not getting excited until he signs. A lot can happen between now and December. It is still good news but I think we learned last year oral commitments do not mean much.
Same thing goes for every school's commits at this time of year. Nothing is set in stone until they sign on the dotted line.

With KU getting verbals from very highly sought after guys and not being a blue blood football program we're going to have to battle and fight for these guys to stay committed until signing day more so than most.

It's fun to get excited about getting verbals from such highly touted recruits as it does nothing but bring good press to the program if nothing else as well as some of them actually end up signing with us too. But you're right to keep in mind things can and do often change, including verbal commitments.

I still enjoy the excitement of getting these verbal commitments and fully understand why others remain cautious about it. I don't get the guys(not at all talking about you) who feel the need to crap all over it though.

#2028439 - 02/27/18 02:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Well said Kman. I am going to be positive about any recruit that commits.

#2028442 - 02/27/18 03:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Different year. Same Jackassery. Nice.
Just getting a little excitement going in our mythical top 5 recruiting class of 2019. I do recall this discussion in 2017 as we had a steep decline thru the year and some posters (not you, of course) had a bit of crow feathers poking out of their mouths.

#2028443 - 02/27/18 03:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
It's called a soft verbal commitment this far out into the future. He has a 'bama offer to mull over.

#2028445 - 02/27/18 04:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's called a soft verbal commitment this far out into the future. He has a 'bama offer to mull over.

Come on now! Why would ANY kid, 1 Star or 5 Star even consider a program like Alabama and a Coach like Saban when the legendary Dave Beaty is offering? The kid is a LOCK for KU. crazy

#2028447 - 02/27/18 04:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Josh2408 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Indiana
Well if we can win 4 games this year that would help ease his mind on staying committed to us

#2028448 - 02/27/18 04:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Frankenhawk Offline
Big Dipper

Originally Posted By: Josh2408
Well if we can win 4 games this year that would help ease his mind on staying committed to us

lol

#2028449 - 02/27/18 05:00 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
Pessimists are coming out of the woodwork.

#2028453 - 02/27/18 06:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Frankenhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Frankenhawk

lol
By we you mean the legendary Dave Beaty can win 4? WOW!

He already has won three. Lost thirty three. Just the facts.

#2028454 - 02/27/18 06:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Earned it.

#2028456 - 02/27/18 06:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: bigdogjac]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Sadly, I think we can all understand pessimism based on the last few years.

It would certainly seem the goal of some is to see Beaty fail, so we can hire yet another head coach while ignoring/forgetting how poorly firing/hiring has gone for use lately and overlooking the difficulty of finding a top candidate when we continue to fire/hire at an unprecedented pace.

That being said, I can only hope Hull is retained in some capacity. He's done a helluva job considering the circumstances.

#2028457 - 02/27/18 06:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

My goal is to succeed. If Beaty was it, so be it. But I knew he was unqualified and said so. From the get go. His goal is to maximize salary and contract length until canned. It’s a fact.

#2028458 - 02/27/18 08:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I do recall this discussion in 2017 as we had a steep decline thru the year and some posters (not you, of course) had a bit of crow feathers poking out of their mouths.
Really? What posters are you referring to? What did they claim or say to have to eat crow? Did someone claim we were going to finish in the top 5 or top 10 or even top 20 or even top 30 in the nation in recruiting rankings? Cause I don't recall anyone making such claims or similar to it.

I also don't see how a steep decline through the year can result in KU's current 2018 class ranking being about 20 spots higher than it's lowest point throughout the year last year. That doesn't look like a steep linear decline as you seem to be suggesting.

Also thought your bar for a successful class for the 2018 class was a top 50 finish and KU is currently ranked in the top 50 for the 2018 class.

#2028459 - 02/27/18 08:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
My goal is to succeed. If Beaty was it, so be it. But I knew he was unqualified and said so. From the get go. His goal is to maximize salary and contract length until canned. It’s a fact.

I distinctly remember you being one of the idiots who predicted 5 wins the first year

#2028460 - 02/27/18 08:56 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Come on now! Why would ANY kid, 1 Star or 5 Star even consider a program like Alabama and a Coach like Saban when the legendary Dave Beaty is offering? The kid is a LOCK for KU. crazy
You do realize he had the Bama offer before he came up and made his unofficial visit to KU with his folks, before he spent a week talking it over with his folks and before he gave KU his verbal commitment, right? Cause this post reads like you don't.

#2028461 - 02/27/18 09:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21

Sadly, I think we can all understand pessimism based on the last few years.

It would certainly seem the goal of some is to see Beaty fail, so we can hire yet another head coach while ignoring/forgetting how poorly firing/hiring has gone for use lately and overlooking the difficulty of finding a top candidate when we continue to fire/hire at an unprecedented pace.

That being said, I can only hope Hull is retained in some capacity. He's done a helluva job considering the circumstances.
A lot of these posts go well beyond pessimism.

#2028462 - 02/27/18 11:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think there is a a lot of truth to this. If KU had won 4 games in 2017 I think it would have held on to a lot more of its 2018 recruits.

#2028463 - 02/28/18 07:51 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You do realize he had the Bama offer before he came up and made his unofficial visit to KU with his folks, before he spent a week talking it over with his folks and before he gave KU his verbal commitment, right? Cause this post reads like you don't.

Easy K-Man! I said the kid is a LOCK for KU. You just cited all the reasons the kid will stick to Beaty and Hull. Not a chance he flips. In two years, he'll be playing in front of hundreds and hundreds of rabid Jayhawk Grid Fans! I for one can't wait until he takes an "official" visit where Beaty can woo him with his home spun Texas wit and countless references to other "dudes". When he signs, it will be in blood, not ink. It's so exciting I can hardly contain myself!!!! laugh

#2028466 - 02/28/18 08:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

This is how I respond to good news, too.

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit? Well fuc|k! He's not going to sign here. I'm going to pout like an adult."

#2028468 - 02/28/18 08:48 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit? Well fuc|k! He's not going to sign here. I'm going to pout like an adult."
What happened to old fashioned sarcasm?

#2028469 - 02/28/18 08:50 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I think there is a a lot of truth to this. If KU had won 4 games in 2017 I think it would have held on to a lot more of its 2018 recruits.
They didn’t hire him to coach. Just recruit.

#2028471 - 02/28/18 09:11 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Go ahead and "pout". I'm too damn excited by the news to even function normally. grin

#2028472 - 02/28/18 09:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"We got a verbal from a four star HS recruit?

Don't forget Beaty gave us a "verbal" about bowling last year. I suppose we simply misunderstood that he was talking about taking the kids to Jayhawk Lanes..... laugh

#2028473 - 02/28/18 09:16 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: track

I distinctly remember you being one of the idiots who predicted 5 wins the first year

Right, but the coach *he* would've hired (that showed no interest) would've won us like 17 because we would've been so good that the NFL subbed us in for the Browns for a few games.

Our talent level post-Weis (you know he was a COY at ND) was so high that we only needed 50 scholarship guys to win those 17 games, too, so the new coach would've saved us money by having those 35 unused scholarships.

#2028475 - 02/28/18 09:40 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Don't forget Beaty gave us a "verbal" about bowling last year. I suppose we simply misunderstood that he was talking about taking the kids to Jayhawk Lanes..... laugh

The KSU fans are going to be upset about you stealing their jokes.

I can't have a coach with high expectations at KU football. I'm going to need a chat with Zenger about this one. That's the final straw.

#2028476 - 02/28/18 10:14 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Right, but the coach *he* would've hired (that showed no interest) would've won us like 17 because we would've been so good that the NFL subbed us in for the Browns for a few games.

Our talent level post-Weis (you know he was a COY at ND) was so high that we only needed 50 scholarship guys to win those 17 games, too, so the new coach would've saved us money by having those 35 unused scholarships.
Exactly, I agree CW was as good as Saban when he was still healthy and on weightwatchers diet. NCOY is the correct award...

Edit: The top 50 ranking is where I said Beaty should land for 2018 recruiting class, not that it was successful, by any means. Way different meaning, kman.

#2028478 - 02/28/18 10:34 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Easy K-Man! I said the kid is a LOCK for KU. You just cited all the reasons the kid will stick to Beaty and Hull. Not a chance he flips. In two years, he'll be playing in front of hundreds and hundreds of rabid Jayhawk Grid Fans! I for one can't wait until he takes an "official" visit where Beaty can woo him with his home spun Texas wit and countless references to other "dudes". When he signs, it will be in blood, not ink. It's so exciting I can hardly contain myself!!!! laugh
LOL

You really are bitter! haha

Man, It'd probably be fun watching you yell at kids on your lawn, cars going "too fast" in front of your house, and neighbors making too much noise at the ungodly hour of 8pm. grin

Just giving you a little ribbing man!

#2028481 - 02/28/18 11:17 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Edit: The top 50 ranking is where I said Beaty should land for 2018 recruiting class, not that it was successful, by any means. Way different meaning, kman.

Really? Can't keep your ever shifting goal posts and lies straight can ya? Cause last May you said in your post here,

If you recall, I said we would be highly successful if we maintained a position in the top 50. I was slammed for being realistic... "He doesn't have facts." and so on...

So now, it's gone from a top 50 ranked class would be highly successful (not merely successful, but HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL) to now that's where it should be followed by a "big difference".

Huh, you lying now or lying then or lying both times or just so full of it you can't keep it all straight?

#2028482 - 02/28/18 11:18 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Man, It'd probably be fun watching you yell at kids on your lawn, cars going "too fast" in front of your house, and neighbors making too much noise at the ungodly hour of 8pm. grin

I'm not quite that bad! blush But I am very bitter about the state of KU Football. There is absolutely NO REASON for a school like KU to have a disgrace for a football program. Zenger could easily be the very worst hire as an AD in our history, and that's saying something when one looks at the lineup of AD's we've had.

When I look at the amount of money I have personally forked over through the past 5 decades and what the Athletic Department has returned for that investment....then I multiply that number by what John Brown calls the "Iron Arses", the 30 k who always showed up through thick or thin, it makes my blood boil. Due to that, I have made it very clear to Zenger and those trying to peddle season tickets what it will take to regain my monetary support. Verbals from 4 Star recruits isn't on that list. Stadium renovations isn't going to sway me either.

What will? Simple! Improve the product on the field. Show me some competitive football again.....they don't even need to win, though that would be a plus. But after three seasons, Beaty has shown me nothing.

#2028483 - 02/28/18 11:28 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm not quite that bad! blush But I am very bitter about the state of KU Football. There is absolutely NO REASON for a school like KU to have a disgrace for a football program. Zenger could easily be the very worst hire as an AD in our history, and that's saying something when one looks at the lineup of AD's we've had.

When I look at the amount of money I have personally forked over through the past 5 decades and what the Athletic Department has returned for that investment....then I multiply that number by what John Brown calls the "Iron Arses", the 30 k who always showed up through thick or thin, it makes my blood boil. Due to that, I have made it very clear to Zenger and those trying to peddle season tickets what it will take to regain my monetary support. Verbals from 4 Star recruits isn't on that list. Stadium renovations isn't going to sway me either.

What will? Simple! Improve the product on the field. Show me some competitive football again.....they don't even need to win, though that would be a plus. But after three seasons, Beaty has shown me nothing.
I get it.

I just think you're letting that bleed over onto these recruits and their decisions a bit too much.

And just to correct some of my previous info. I confused Legendre's visit with that of another recruit. Legendre visited almost 4 weeks ago and word is he wanted to commit before he left, but was encouraged to think about it some more to make sure. He spent 3 weeks talking things over with his parents and still wanted to commit to KU, even after the Bama offer came in right after his visit to KU.

Anything can happen, but my read on this kid is he sounds a lot like Pooka and Harris in the type of guys who'll stick til signing day.

#2028484 - 02/28/18 11:31 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Really? Can't keep your ever shifting goal posts and lies straight can ya? Cause last May you said in your post here,

If you recall, I said we would be highly successful if we maintained a position in the top 50. I was slammed for being realistic... "He doesn't have facts." and so on...

So now, it's gone from a top 50 ranked class would be highly successful (not merely successful, but HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL) to now that's where it should be followed by a "big difference".

Huh, you lying now or lying then or lying both times or just so full of it you can't keep it all straight?
You ARE full of it. At the time I said the above we languished at 70-80 ranking (247 source). Yes, it would be highly successful to rebound to above 50.

Edit: Must be off season, both you and track are reviewing my facts posted from prior years (2017 and 2015, respectively).

BTW, here is the official overall record of David Beaty:

3–33 (college)
39–15 (high school)

In case anyone knows why kman defends this, let me know...

#2028488 - 02/28/18 02:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Recruiting question:

Bishop Miege one of the top 50-75 high school teams in America is 40 minutes from KU, why isn't there a pipeline from Miege to KU? IMO there should be at least 1 kid every year from them. Those kids know how to win and we need that mentality. Who again is the KC recruiter?

#2028489 - 02/28/18 02:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Travis Releford comes to my mind in basketball but nobody football wise immediately that I remember.

Four straight state championships...

#2028490 - 02/28/18 02:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
We have had a bunch of Miege players in recent year that haven't panned out. Montell Cozart and Ryan Willis come to mind. Wasn't McCay from Miege as well?

#2028491 - 02/28/18 02:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

We have had much better luck with the recruits we get from Free State rather than Miege.

#2028492 - 02/28/18 03:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Recruiting question:

Bishop Miege one of the top 50-75 high school teams in America is 40 minutes from KU, why isn't there a pipeline from Miege to KU? IMO there should be at least 1 kid every year from them. Those kids know how to win and we need that mentality. Who again is the KC recruiter?

Coach Fambrough had a very solid Miege pipeline during both of his stints as head man. What had changed is IMHO an attitude since the advent of the Big XII that the only good players are from Texas. KU doesn't seem to care much at all about closing the borders of the state...Snyder is the one who seems to think one can have a successful program with Kansas kids.

And when looking back on our history, the BEST Jayhawk Grid Teams, were loaded with Kansas talent. From Ray Evans to Hadl, Hadl to Bobby Douglas, Douglas to Jaynes...throw in a few Riggins and Zook boys, a Steve Towle, Terry Beason, Nolan Cromwell, Billy Campfield, Laverne Smith and one of my all time favorites, Bruce Adams from Miege......there is a KANSAS flavor to any success we have really enjoyed.

#2028493 - 02/28/18 03:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I get it.

I just think you're letting that bleed over onto these recruits and their decisions a bit too much.

And just to correct some of my previous info. I confused Legendre's visit with that of another recruit. Legendre visited almost 4 weeks ago and word is he wanted to commit before he left, but was encouraged to think about it some more to make sure. He spent 3 weeks talking things over with his parents and still wanted to commit to KU, even after the Bama offer came in right after his visit to KU.

Anything can happen, but my read on this kid is he sounds a lot like Pooka and Harris in the type of guys who'll stick til signing day.

Was that the KU staff that told him to think it over? If so that may be smart on their part. Keep guys from verballing when they are all excited and then backing out. Hopefully he has thought it through and this will have him and other recruits like him actually sign with KU.

No matter what we are going to have to suffer through other schools calling on him, and stories of those schools making a push for him.

The best thing to keep him and other recruits is WIN some games!

#2028494 - 02/28/18 03:55 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Recruiting question:

Miege didn't have much last year as far as P5 recruits.

The year before, Colbert was committed very early to Iowa, and Jafar was headed to Mizzou before Notre Dame offered and changed his mind.

All of their 2019 and 2020 guys on rivals are unrated. One (Daniel Jackson) has an offer from Iowa State; the other six or seven guys combine for one offer from Colgate.

#2028495 - 02/28/18 03:56 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
John Brown

[quote

Coach Fambrough had a very solid Miege pipeline during both of his stints as head man. What had changed is IMHO an attitude since the advent of the Big XII that the only good players are from Texas. KU doesn't seem to care much at all about closing the borders of the state...Snyder is the one who seems to think one can have a successful program with Kansas kids.

And when looking back on our history, the BEST Jayhawk Grid Teams, were loaded with Kansas talent. From Ray Evans to Hadl, Hadl to Bobby Douglas, Douglas to Jaynes...throw in a few Riggins and Zook boys, a Steve Towle, Terry Beason, Nolan Cromwell, Billy Campfield, Laverne Smith and one of my all time favorites, Bruce Adams from Miege......there is a KANSAS flavor to any success we have really enjoyed. [/quote]

Just hard to think that since the school having won 4 state titles in a row we couldn't use any of their kids? They are doing something right over there. Other coaches in the state want the government to get involved by changing some rules.

#2028499 - 02/28/18 06:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

#2028501 - 02/28/18 06:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage

#2028505 - 02/28/18 09:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage
dgless was telling us the opposite, that BM was filled with low ranked players who were able to overcome. State championship ensued

#2028511 - 03/01/18 12:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Was that the KU staff that told him to think it over? If so that may be smart on their part. Keep guys from verballing when they are all excited and then backing out. Hopefully he has thought it through and this will have him and other recruits like him actually sign with KU.

No matter what we are going to have to suffer through other schools calling on him, and stories of those schools making a push for him.

The best thing to keep him and other recruits is WIN some games!
Think it was a mutual decision between his family and the coaches.

#2028512 - 03/01/18 12:12 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Private schools at all levels can do and get away with a ton more things than public schools can and that includes the college level.

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

#2028515 - 03/01/18 09:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

Public or private, it makes no difference!

There was a history professor at Washburn back in the mid 70's who came there via UNL. In the early 70's he had three Husker Gridders turn in IDENTICAL term papers. When none of them fessed up to this HUGE coincidence, he flunked them all. They ended up passing and he lost his job.

It's be going on for years and years and it isn't going to stop. The "elite" college athletes will always have smooth sailing through any rough waters that academics might present. The hoops one and dones are currently the best example. At best they need to focus for a single semester of survey coursework. Kids that do get degrees in something besides "International Basket Weaving" or " Anitfa in the workplace" should be commended. Besides walkons, I think for anyone to call these kids "Student Athletes" is pretty funny in my book.

#2028531 - 03/01/18 12:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

#2028534 - 03/01/18 05:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

NCAA? N ever C atch A ny A thlete

#2028537 - 03/01/18 06:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

That's not true. They'll crack down on any athlete trying to make some money.

#2028544 - 03/01/18 08:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Only if they're at an FCS or possibly low P-5 level school and below. Can't upset the NCAA money train too much!

#2028545 - 03/01/18 08:43 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Public or private, it makes no difference!
I get your point, but there's still a big difference in what private schools can and do get away with. Also, my back in the day story was from the 1990's after the NCAA had started cracking down on the egregious type stuff the corn were doing in your example.

#2029388 - 03/28/18 11:29 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.

#2029396 - 03/28/18 06:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I believe we got Jalan signed because Emery is going the JUCO route if rumors are correct.

#2029666 - 04/04/18 10:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.
That tells you all you need to know. "see the success"? Where?

#2030637 - 05/04/18 01:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Kansas stopped paying Charlie Weis at the end of 2016. Now it’s time to stop blaming him.

No doubt, David Beaty inherited a skeletal scholarship situation from Weis, but the former Texas A&M assistant coach is heading into his fourth season. He had plenty of time to get up to full speed and isn’t in part because he lost so many transfers.

As it is, Beaty will have an estimated 75 players who spent every season at KU on scholarship, 10 short of the maximum allowed and about four short of what most schools carry at any given time. Injuries and last-minute transfers keep teams below the maximum.

Any coaching change comes with inevitable transfers, so on that front you can’t put the blame on Beaty for losing Weis recruits such as Montell Cozart, Darious Crawley, Aaron Garza, Colton Goeas, Kyron Watson and D.J. Williams.

Beaty also lost 14 of his own recruits: Shola Ayinde, LaQuvionte Gonzalez, Chase Harrell, Travis Jordan, Maciah Long, Quincy Perdue, Ian Peterson, Stephan Robinson, Joshua Stanford, Tyriek Starks, Jace Sternberger, Justin Williams and Ryan Willis.

The reasons for the departures range from behavior issues to playing time to lacking the talent to play at the FBS level.

The house Beaty inherited had a cracked foundation. Nobody disputes that. He’s had time to repair it, and a daunting 2018 schedule awaits. Nobody is buying the blame-Charlie approach any longer. It has evolved from legitimate explanation to an excuse. Time to move on." - Keegan article that deserves to be reprinted here.

#2030644 - 05/04/18 03:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I cannot argue with that at all. Three phucking horrific hires in a phucking row. The most inept and mismanaged program in all of D1 football, suffering the worst decade of ANY team EVER, including the futility U teams of the late 80's that, all things being equal would beat our ass right now. It's time to nut up, or pack your sh)t and get ready to move after game five Beaty and Zenger.

RCJHKU!

#2030648 - 05/04/18 05:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUHawkhead]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
Can you imagine what this would look like if an under performing Texas team that had quit on their coach had actually backed into that win? The statements currently coming from the athletic department seem to indicate that win has no bearing on the current situation. They are sticking with Coach Beaty.

These comments from the athletic department remind me of the children's story, "The Emperor's New Clothes". Who do you believe, the athletic department or your lying eyes?

#2030649 - 05/04/18 05:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

“Your lyin’ Eyes” is a good to great song. Can we have some good to great football ?

#2030655 - 05/05/18 04:21 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"Kansas stopped paying Charlie Weis at the end of 2016. Now it’s time to stop blaming him..." - Keegan article that deserves to be reprinted here.
Don't think this post belongs in this thread and should have a thread of it's own instead, but since it's here now...I don't disagree with the gist of that article at all. Time to put up or shut up for the coaches this year and I think they all know it too.

Where things could get ugly is what constitutes "putting up" so to speak versus what doesn't. Like I said, think this should have it's own thread if that's what you want to discuss rather than cluttering up the 2019 recruiting thread.

#2030656 - 05/05/18 05:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
the futility U teams of the late 80's that, all things being equal would beat our ass right now
RCJHKU!
Don't believe that for a second. We had close family friends who's oldest son played on those teams and we went to every KU-ksu game during that time(2 at KU and 2 at ksu) as well as a few ksu home games with this family. Met several of their players during that time and you'd be hard pressed to pick most of them out of a crowd of other college students as being their football players. I'd bet more than 1/2 of them wouldn't even make it as a walkon at virtually any D-1 school, much less P-5 school these days, even currently hapless KU.

As hard as it may be to believe, those teams would have easily gone winless with our schedule over the past 3 years. Hell, they barely went 1-31-1 over the last 3 years of their decade of futility with the lone win being a 3 point squeaker over North Texas State at home during old ball's 1st season there.

As bad and horrible as KU has been over the past several years, we aren't nearly as bad as those teams were.

#2030657 - 05/05/18 10:00 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Kansas stopped paying Charlie Weis at the end of 2016. Now it’s time to stop blaming him..." - Keegan article that deserves to be reprinted here.
Don't think this post belongs in this thread and should have a thread of it's own instead, but since it's here now...I don't disagree with the gist of that article at all. Time to put up or shut up for the coaches this year and I think they all know it too.

Where things could get ugly is what constitutes "putting up" so to speak versus what doesn't. Like I said, think this should have it's own thread if that's what you want to discuss rather than cluttering up the 2019 recruiting thread.
The lack of 2019 news is probably due to this mentality written by Keegan and endorsed widely IMO. I don't mind another topic thread either...

#2030660 - 05/05/18 10:20 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KU7679 Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

[quote=KUHawkhead

As hard as it may be to believe, those teams would have easily gone winless with our schedule over the past 3 years. Hell, they barely went 1-31-1 over the last 3 years of their decade of futility with the lone win being a 3 point squeaker over North Texas State at home during old ball's 1st season there.

As bad and horrible as KU has been over the past several years, we aren't nearly as bad as those teams were.

I guess I feel better about our team now. We AREN'T as bad as what might have been the worst team in college football history.

#2030674 - 05/06/18 05:35 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO

The lack of 2019 news is probably due to this mentality written by Keegan and endorsed widely IMO. I don't mind another topic thread either...
Of course you wouldn't...

#2030679 - 05/06/18 06:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk

Of course you wouldn't...
My comment was a bow to kman’s idea. Another thread. Of course you don’t get it. Normal

#2030680 - 05/06/18 07:42 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Any actual recruiting news? Are the coaches out recruiting? Who is where recruiting where?

#2030682 - 05/06/18 10:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

[/quote]The lack of 2019 news is probably due to this mentality written by Keegan and endorsed widely IMO. I don't mind another topic thread either... [/quote] Of course you wouldn't... [/quote]My comment was a bow to kman’s idea. Another thread. Of course you don’t get it. Normal [/quote] I didn't read into that. My bad...

#2030684 - 05/07/18 01:02 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Any actual recruiting news? Are the coaches out recruiting? Who is where recruiting where?
Couple coaches were out in Cali and believe at least 1 other was in Florida/Georgia area. Also think Bowen was making some rounds in Kansas and KC area. Haven't heard for sure, but I'd bet coach Hull is in Louisiana too.

Not hearing as much talk from people I know as I have in the past about who's where or when coaches are out of town, but believe they've all been out on the road to some extent.

#2030685 - 05/07/18 01:08 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KU7679]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KU7679
I guess I feel better about our team now. We AREN'T as bad as what might have been the worst team in college football history.
LOL
It's hardly anything to feel good about, but unfortunately we gotta take what we can get right now!

I remember when I was a kid seeing the guy I mentioned previously being home every summer (all summer) partying his butt off while he was playing for the purps and thinking wasn't he supposed to be training or something. Learned a little later that virtually nobody on their teams back then stayed around their campus for the summer and most all never worked out on their own either like they were supposed to. They were more like a bad club team than an actual team.

#2030688 - 05/07/18 07:54 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KU7679
LOL
It's hardly anything to feel good about, but unfortunately we gotta take what we can get right now!

I remember when I was a kid seeing the guy I mentioned previously being home every summer (all summer) partying his butt off while he was playing for the purps and thinking wasn't he supposed to be training or something. Learned a little later that virtually nobody on their teams back then stayed around their campus for the summer and most all never worked out on their own either like they were supposed to. They were more like a bad club team than an actual team.

I echo your sentiments...above and beyond the partying. I knew guys on the 69 orange bowl team that had never touched a weight until they got to KU. I went to one of the largest high schools in the state and we didn't own a single weight in the late 60s. That's a far cry from the weight rooms seen now at even small high schools. I had a friend that started at KSU at defensive end at the time....5'10 and 210 pounds...no weight training....a far cry from Dorance. armstrong.

#2030703 - 05/07/18 01:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: INation]
EstebanBugatti Online   content
Phog Fanatic

Doesn't matter where the coaches are right now. They will miss on every HS recruit and be forced to take more JuCo kids until Beaty is fired after the non-con.

#2030708 - 05/07/18 02:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: EstebanBugatti]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti

Doesn't matter where the coaches are right now. They will miss on every HS recruit and be forced to take more JuCo kids until Beaty is fired after the non-con.
EVERY high school recruit? That's really tough to do.

#2030730 - 05/07/18 10:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I echo your sentiments...above and beyond the partying. I knew guys on the 69 orange bowl team that had never touched a weight until they got to KU. I went to one of the largest high schools in the state and we didn't own a single weight in the late 60s. That's a far cry from the weight rooms seen now at even small high schools. I had a friend that started at KSU at defensive end at the time....5'10 and 210 pounds...no weight training....a far cry from Dorance. armstrong.
I know at the time of my observations of our old family friend's son that KU had training table and most of their team were staying on campus during the summer and working out together (as were most P-5 level teams at the time from what I understand). Not all of them, but definitely most of the starters were.

Things weren't nearly as lax as you describe from the late 60's, but they also weren't quite like they are nowadays either with the entire team spending their entire summers on campus doing team workouts.

#2030734 - 05/08/18 06:25 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

I guess you didn’t know bobby Douglas or John rigging.

#2030744 - 05/08/18 10:53 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I've briefly met both before, but they're both before my time as far as being alive when they played at KU.

#2030895 - 05/13/18 07:36 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I guess you didn’t know bobby Douglas or John rigging.
You are destroying the integrity of this topic. Dgless is leaving to go post on a KSU board from now on. lol

#2031713 - 06/20/18 01:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

As was just posted in this story Elijah Jones is coming to KU as well as another JUCO CB that just got on campus. Don't want to mention the name of the other guy as if he hasn't attended a class yet he can still be recruited by other schools. Jones is yet another quality DB to join the team since last year. Him, Harris, and the others should significantly improve that unit this year.

Still expecting several more little talked about or even completely un-talked about guys to show up over the next 2 months. There's going to be a lot of new faces on this team come Sep. 1 and a lot of them look to be quality P-5 level guys. Not saying they're gonna be world beaters or all are gonna be difference makers but they should help things out quite a bit.

I'm still anxious to see how well Ricker can do putting together an OL as well as if he can coach up the OL guys we've got better than Yenser could. I think that'll go a long way in how our season goes. That and how well our secondary comes together are probably the most important factors in how much better (if any) our team will be.

It could be enough to save Beaty's job even.

#2031880 - 06/28/18 12:19 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Looks like KU got it's 2nd official commitment the other day with a commitment from Clay Cundiff. He's one of the top 2019 prospects in the state of Kansas and a 6'4" 225lbs. TE out of Bishop Carroll in Wichita. He's very physical while blocking and also a surprisingly good athlete for his size. Think I heard he ran a 4.8 electronically timed 40 at a Rivals camp this month.

KU was his 1st offer when we offered last year. Heard Iowa St., Arizona St. and KSU have been pursuing him to some degree and word is 2 or 3 of them plan on offering him soon. I won't be surprised if more offer after how well he's done at a couple camps so far this summer.

#2031881 - 06/28/18 07:48 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Four star prospects better the KU football program, so until then, no excitement from KU fans who don't follow. Fair-weather student sections going home to watch the Vanderpump Rules.

#2031882 - 06/28/18 08:30 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Maximus]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On that 4 star note, 2 different 4 star recruits have mentioned KU is in their top 5 over the past couple weeks also.

I'm a little preoccupied right now with other stuff, and I can't recall their names at the moment, but 1 was a WR out of the St. Louis area and the other is another Louisiana recruit. Think Juice Johnson is the lead recruiter for the St. Louis guy and coach Hull is the lead recruiter for the Louisiana guy.

#2031883 - 06/28/18 04:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks Kman.

Recruiting services have a busy summer with camp evaluations. Beaty needs to get several four star recruits from high school. Five stars only would go to KU for basketball.

#2032393 - 07/20/18 12:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Kman, Dgless, any news or are we just done with this thread?

#2032394 - 07/20/18 12:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: schmuck34

You really think Beaty is even trying to recruit? He knows he is done so he doesn't care how this recruiting class shakes out.

#2032404 - 07/20/18 11:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: EstebanBugatti]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

In recent years KU has competed with ISU for the cellar of Big 12 football. Usually both programs have similar results in recruiting. Sometimes KU is better and sometimes ISU is better in the final Rivals recruiting ranking. In this recruiting class ISU already has 18 recruits compared to KU with 2 recruits. This is not surprising considering how last season went in W-L totals for both teams. The recruiting results shine a spotlight on the further decline of KU football under Beaty and how that lack of success is cementing KU football into last place in the Big 12.

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/20/18 11:29 PM)

#2032407 - 07/21/18 02:04 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It's a dead period right now.

Starting next Wednesday they have a 1 week quiet period where they can have official visitors and make contact (not in person, except on campus) with recruits. All of August is another dead period before the evaluation/quiet period begins again in September through November followed by a contact period leading up to the early signing day.

As pizzanbeer alluded to a lot of recruits are in wait and see mode with KU right now both because of how last year went and also because of the uncertainty of coach Beaty's tenure here. Several have expressed interest in KU or listed us in their top 5 or 4, but I think a lot are waiting to see how our season begins, I think a lot will depend on how our non-con schedule goes, If it goes like it did last year, we probably won't get very many commitments. On the other hand, if we go 3-0 I think we'll get a good number. All depends on how well we do or don't do.

From what I've heard, several recruits who've visited KU liked what they saw and are leaning towards committing, but they also know the situation here too and that's making them understandably hesitant. Not many recruits will commit if they think the HC is likely to not be here anymore when they show up on campus next year. There;s only a few Ben Heeney or Clay Cundiff type of recruits out there who'll commit because they love KU that much.

Despite what angry esteban thinks, the coaches are still out recruiting hard when they can (i.e. not during a dead period)..Juice and coach Hull in particular have been very active.

#2032411 - 07/21/18 08:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

I was looking for that recruit POV, news and info, thanks Kman.

#2032413 - 07/21/18 11:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Schmuck...are you back too. Dot netters are desperate. What happened pwhitt forgot to pay Go Daddy....lol.

#2032414 - 07/22/18 12:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

It's a dead period right now.

Starting next Wednesday they have a 1 week quiet period where they can have official visitors and make contact (not in person, except on campus) with recruits. All of August is another dead period before the evaluation/quiet period begins again in September through November followed by a contact period leading up to the early signing day.

As pizzanbeer alluded to a lot of recruits are in wait and see mode with KU right now both because of how last year went and also because of the uncertainty of coach Beaty's tenure here. Several have expressed interest in KU or listed us in their top 5 or 4, but I think a lot are waiting to see how our season begins, I think a lot will depend on how our non-con schedule goes, If it goes like it did last year, we probably won't get very many commitments. On the other hand, if we go 3-0 I think we'll get a good number. All depends on how well we do or don't do.

From what I've heard, several recruits who've visited KU liked what they saw and are leaning towards committing, but they also know the situation here too and that's making them understandably hesitant. Not many recruits will commit if they think the HC is likely to not be here anymore when they show up on campus next year. There;s only a few Ben Heeney or Clay Cundiff type of recruits out there who'll commit because they love KU that much.

Despite what angry esteban thinks, the coaches are still out recruiting hard when they can (i.e. not during a dead period)..Juice and coach Hull in particular have been very active.

Someone's feelings are still hurt. Sorry your boyfriend is about to lose his job. You knew this day was coming and so did all of the recruits the staff is talking to. No one will commit to the lamest of lame ducks.

#2032415 - 07/22/18 08:37 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

kman has a sense of a tsunami coming. There's a chance of a tsunami in Kansas...with the climate change. Kansas City may be the shoreline soon.

#2032419 - 07/22/18 03:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
Someone's feelings are still hurt. Sorry your boyfriend is about to lose his job. You knew this day was coming and so did all of the recruits the staff is talking to. No one will commit to the lamest of lame ducks.
LOL Don't flatter yourself there internet tough guy or should I call you little angry freddy?

And didn't I just lay out how recruits are waiting to see just how much of a potential lame duck Beaty may be?

#2032420 - 07/22/18 03:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

kman has a sense of a tsunami coming. There's a chance of a tsunami in Kansas...with the climate change. Kansas City may be the shoreline soon.
I do?

Let me know when the ocean level is expected to rise 1,000'.

#2032437 - 07/23/18 03:04 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I do?

Let me know when the ocean level is expected to rise 1,000'.
OK, I may not be onboard with the "changing of the losing culture" Coach David Beaty. He still has a pretty wife so...

#2032473 - 07/24/18 03:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Kman, if Beaty flames out early do you think Long hires an out of work head coach like Miles or Bielema at mid-season to try and salvage this recruiting class?

Or do you think Long waits until the end of the season and hires an employed head coach at a non P5 college and takes the hit with a lower ranking recruiting class?

#2032476 - 07/24/18 05:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

There is a reason a coach is out of work. Wait till season is over to hire a new HC.

#2032481 - 07/24/18 06:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sometimes coaches being out of work is more for political reasons than football reasons. Hire the best available.

#2032485 - 07/24/18 09:38 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: AlOerter]
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Sometimes coaches being out of work is more for political reasons than football reasons. Hire the best available.

Les Miles is the perfect hire.

#2032498 - 07/25/18 12:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Has Mike Norvell's name been discussed much? Just watched a replay of the Memphis/UCF game. Obviously Frost is now at Nebraska but the Memphis coach seems like a guy we should consider.

#2032535 - 07/26/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Kman, if Beaty flames out early do you think Long hires an out of work head coach like Miles or Bielema at mid-season to try and salvage this recruiting class?

Or do you think Long waits until the end of the season and hires an employed head coach at a non P5 college and takes the hit with a lower ranking recruiting class?
I really don't know what Long would have in mind if that is what happens.

I believe he, like all good AD's, has a short list of coaches he'd go after if he needed to hire one, but I don't believe he's made up his mind on anything to do with coach Beaty right now. He most definitely has a list of things he wants to see happen/(ing), but other than that I don't think he's set a hard line on any particular course of action yet.

I still get the feeling that the season would have to go disastrously to get Beaty fired early on or even in the middle of it. I think if things don't go the way Long thinks they should be going he's more likely to wait until right after the last game to do any firing.

#2032539 - 07/26/18 04:41 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I still get the feeling that the season would have to go disastrously to get Beaty fired early on or even in the middle of it. I think if things don't go the way Long thinks they should be going he's more likely to wait until right after the last game to do any firing.

What do you, or anyone else consider to be a disastrous season? Be honest, Beaty has 3 THREE freaking wins in 3 years. Is the Jayhawk definition of disaster now simply winless? In year four, Beaty better start winning and winning fast if he wants to coach beyond September. His only other hope is that there are a minimum of 40k fannies in the seats for each and every home game. Frankly, I don't see either situation coming to fruition and DB will be unemployed by the 1st of October.

#2032540 - 07/26/18 04:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Like last year disarray when the captains took over the coin toss is the right time to can the beached whale. Embarrassing for the school.

#2032542 - 07/26/18 05:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

What do you, or anyone else consider to be a disastrous season? Be honest, Beaty has 3 THREE freaking wins in 3 years. Is the Jayhawk definition of disaster now simply winless? In year four, Beaty better start winning and winning fast if he wants to coach beyond September. His only other hope is that there are a minimum of 40k fannies in the seats for each and every home game. Frankly, I don't see either situation coming to fruition and DB will be unemployed by the 1st of October.
What I consider a disastrous season doesn't really matter to anyone besides myself. What Long considers one is the import opinion.

With that being said, my biggest problem with last year besides the obvious losing which I hate and don't think anyone else enjoys, was the lack of mental discipline shown by the players and general disorganization we showed way too much. Those are by far the most troubling things to me. Let's face it, no coach was going to come in and win with the absolute train wreck and virtually no true scholarship players we had after Weis. We were going to be losing and losing bad under any coach, even Urban Meyer (IMHO he's the best football coach out there and has shown an incredible knack to start winning relatively quickly everywhere he's been, the likes I don't think anyone else in the modern era has done). You can argue we may have won a few more or whatever, but the record up to this point wasn't going to be good. There should though, have been more mental discipline from the team and we should have looked much more organized than we did IMO. That may have translated to more wins, but it would have for sure at least translated to several more competitive games in my opinion.

So, for me a disastrous season would be one where we don't look any more organized or disciplined as a team. To me, that would lead to more losses too, just like it did last year. I think you can directly attribute AT LEAST 2 losses last year(maybe as many as 4) to these problems. If we take care of those problems for the most part I think that'll directly lead to a more competitive team and more W's in the W-L column. My opinion of what a disastrous year is more based on that than the just the W-L record.

Also, while I don't know Long and don't know enough about him yet to get a great read on him nor have I met him as he's still not officially on the job yet, I still get a little bit of a feeling that he's a bit more deliberate about things. That's why right now I don't think he'd fire Beaty early in the season or even in the middle of the season IF he decides he needs to fire him.

#2032552 - 07/26/18 11:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Here is how I think Long will go about it. He will reach out to a few head coaches that are not currently coaching to gauge their interest and get a list of their probable OC, DC and other assistant coaches they would bring with them. Then Long will compare those head coaches and their staff to his short list of coaches that are currently coaching and their current staff. Then Long will weigh out which head coach and staff gives him the best chance to turn around the program the quickest because Long knows he needs to raise $300 million for the new stadium. Then Long will weigh out the likelihood of whether the top candidate will take the job if offered.

If Long believes a head coach that is not working now gives him the best chance for a quick turn around and he believes that coach will take the job then Long will fire Beaty mid-season when Beaty has enough losses or enough big losses to justify it. Then the new coach can start recruiting. If Long thinks that a head coach that is currently coaching gives him the best opportunity to turn around the program the quickest and Long believes that coach will take the job then he will let Beaty coach further into the season and maybe to the end.

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/26/18 11:36 PM)

#2032579 - 07/28/18 06:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

I think you've hit on some of the high points Kman, but the preparation, development, and recruiting have all been deficient in my opinion.

The preparation goes back to game one, year one. The QB fumbles the snap on a play designed to down the ball. You could call that 'bad luck', if there weren't dozens of other 'bad luck' plays to go along with it. How many times have we taken a time-out or a delay of game penalty on the first snap after receiving a kick-off? Even the opening kick-off?

In my mind, development has been questionable, too. We have a lot of guys who will never be athletes in the NFL, but technique, play discipline, responsibility, and effort are available to anyone. One big issue on this is the lack of staff continuity which, in my opinion, goes back to Zenger and his hiring of a coach not ready to be the head man.

And recruiting, we've improved our talent incrementally, but not at the level to compete in this conference. Every year we hear we've got Jimmy Jones at RT and Henry Johnson at LT. I'm guessing they're good kids, but are they Big 12 quality tackles? I'm 66 years old with four years of eligibility left, and I can get a QB killed just as quickly as Jimmy and Henry. We need better talent at all positions, with some depth.

I don't have any idea what Long will do. My guess is that Beaty will last the year unless there are issues off the field. I'd like to think that he would have grown into the job, but the evidence of that can't seen from any seat in the stadium, and I've tried a lot of them.

#2032589 - 07/29/18 09:31 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PbBut
I think you've hit on some of the high points Kman, but the preparation, development, and recruiting have all been deficient in my opinion.

The preparation goes back to game one, year one. The QB fumbles the snap on a play designed to down the ball. You could call that 'bad luck', if there weren't dozens of other 'bad luck' plays to go along with it. How many times have we taken a time-out or a delay of game penalty on the first snap after receiving a kick-off? Even the opening kick-off?

In my mind, development has been questionable, too. We have a lot of guys who will never be athletes in the NFL, but technique, play discipline, responsibility, and effort are available to anyone. One big issue on this is the lack of staff continuity which, in my opinion, goes back to Zenger and his hiring of a coach not ready to be the head man.
I think that's more a day to day coaching problem rather than a development problem. I agree that it's in large part from a lack of consistent coaching, mostly at the position coach level but also at the OC/DC and HC level. We've had a few dud assistant coaches that didn't help either. I think a lot of guys have developed well but are overlooked because of all of the other bigger problems the team has had.

And recruiting, we've improved our talent incrementally, but not at the level to compete in this conference. Every year we hear we've got Jimmy Jones at RT and Henry Johnson at LT. I'm guessing they're good kids, but are they Big 12 quality tackles? I'm 66 years old with four years of eligibility left, and I can get a QB killed just as quickly as Jimmy and Henry. We need better talent at all positions, with some depth.
I agree and I kinda disagree here. I think recruiting overall has been good and even better than that in some cases. I know you're a big OL and DL guy and yeah, the OL recruiting has been more hit and miss. I also think we didn't have legit Big 12 level talent starting at all spots for years 1 and 2 of the Beaty regime. We definitely didn't have it in the backups for those first 2 years except in the form of some very green underclassmen who didn't have enough talent to overcome their lack of experience. Only a rare few underclassmen anywhere do. Last year was the first year I think we mostly had legit Big 12 level talent starting across the board, but we still didn't have legit Big 12 talent across the board on the 2nd string. This year, I think we've still mostly got legit Big 12 talent at the starting spots and much more legit Big 12 talent at the 2nd and 3rd string levels too. This is also the first year we've got some good experience within those ranks. That's why this year is make or break for coach Beaty.

The OL though has been its own special situation. Career ending injuries, misses by the coaches in recruiting, changing philosophies on the type of OL we need (very evident this year with Ricker at the helm of the OL) along with some bad OL coaching IMO has all contributed to that mess. This is why I'm so curious as to what Ricker does and how well it works out or not this year.

#2032590 - 07/29/18 12:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The best play was an onsides kickoff to start the game against OU I believe. Nice to see DB give up so early in the game. Can him sooner than later.

#2032591 - 07/29/18 03:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

DB has an oral from a 4 star QB finally. So much for that.

#2032592 - 07/29/18 09:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

DB has an oral from a 4 star QB finally. So much for that.
Remember QB Brock Burglund from Littleton CO? We couldn't wait for the five star athlete to arrive. We are still waiting. So is former HCCW...

Don't believe a 4 star is anxious to get killed behind the weak oline created by DB.

#2032598 - 07/30/18 01:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Etinosa Reuben of Park Hill commits to Clemson. Another KC kid goes to SEC

#2032599 - 07/30/18 02:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Clemson isn't the SEC.

Brock Berglund was a three star.

#2032600 - 07/30/18 03:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Clemson isn't the SEC.

Brock was highly touted and he was a big deal here in Denver going to Kansas. Yes, a four or fiver depending upon the rating organization. Doesn't change my point being made...

Player profile out of Valor Christian per 247 sports today says 4 Star. A three would change my point but that’s not accurate

#2032604 - 07/30/18 07:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Berglund was possibly the flakiest recruit in the past 40 years period. Not just at KU but anywhere over that time.

Legendre isn't at all flaky. If coach Beaty is our HC and coach Hull is still on staff coming early signing period, Legendre will still probably be KU bound. He's still getting a lot of recruiting pressure that will most likely increase once the season begins, but he hasn't wavered yet despite it all. His recruitment I suspect will go a lot like Pooka's, Jason's, and Harris's did last year. Hopefully he goes the way of Pooka and Harris and not Jason.

#2032605 - 07/30/18 07:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Oh, and just because it hasn't been mentioned on here yet, KU got another commit this past Friday from Cole Mueller. He's a 6'1" 192 lbs. Athlete/RB out of Holt HS in Wentzville, MO.

He was the fastest kid at our Friday Night Lights camp, winning all 3 rounds of the 40 they had with times around 4.4. Kid is a very good athlete, almost freakishly good. Think his vertical was around 38". He was definitely one of the top performers at our FNL camp and maybe the best all around performer there. That's out of the roughly 225 potential recruits at the camp.

Another top performer there was 2020 DB recruit, Daran Branch, a 6'1" 170lbs. DB out of Amite HS in Amite, LA. He was the 2nd fastest kid there after Mueller. He looks like he's still growing and has a high ceiling IMO. I really like how he plays and he'd be a big get for the 2020 class if we could land him.

#2032606 - 07/30/18 07:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is. Nothing to tie DB to Kansas after he craps out early this year. Which I believe will happen sooner than later. Thank god!

#2032607 - 07/30/18 08:03 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is. Nothing to tie DB to Kansas after he craps out early this year. Which I believe will happen sooner than later. Thank god!

I am coming around to your way of thinking on DB, however I know every time we make a coaching change the program takes a backward step so for that reason I hope somehow someway this coaching staff suddenly sees the light or discovers magic in a bottle and can take 4 or 5 steps forward this year.

#2032609 - 07/30/18 11:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

At the time, Brock won the eighth straight state championship for Valor. Great potential but weirded out. The RB is definitely a 2 Star. So there it is.
He's currently a 2 star and perhaps he'll stay there, but he outperformed several 3 star guys and even a couple 4 star guys at the camp. He looked to me to be the fastest kid in a KU camp since Pierson. Kid is physically gifted and Air Force has offered too. Though, technically the offer from Air Force isn't quite the same as 1 from a non-academy school in that they do it differently and have different rules.

#2032610 - 07/30/18 11:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I am coming around to your way of thinking on DB, however I know every time we make a coaching change the program takes a backward step so for that reason I hope somehow someway this coaching staff suddenly sees the light or discovers magic in a bottle and can take 4 or 5 steps forward this year.
I dunno if coach Beaty is going to take a bunch of steps forward this year or not. I do hope so like you for no other reason than I want to see a winning KU team, but I think the team is poised to take several steps forward nonetheless. There's more depth of talent on the team than in 7 years or more, and more upperclassmen and experienced players than we've had in 4 or 5 years. All that makes it more likely that the team takes some steps forward even if coach Beaty stays exactly the same.

#2032611 - 07/31/18 06:46 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

I dunno if coach Beaty is going to take a bunch of steps forward this year or not. I do hope so like you for no other reason than I want to see a winning KU team, but I think the team is poised to take several steps forward nonetheless. There's more depth of talent on the team than in 7 years or more, and more upperclassmen and experienced players than we've had in 4 or 5 years. All that makes it more likely that the team takes some steps forward even if coach Beaty stays exactly the same.

Recruiting and development of players is a major part of being a head coach. If... and that’s a big IF... we take some positive steps forward this year DB gets the credit.

#2032612 - 07/31/18 01:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
John Brown

Clemson isn't the SEC.

Oops duh! ACC

#2032615 - 08/01/18 11:56 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Legendre isn't at all flaky. If coach Beaty is our HC and coach Hull is still on staff coming early signing period, Legendre will still probably be KU bound.

LeGendre decommitted.

Edited by pizzanbeer (08/01/18 11:58 AM)

#2032616 - 08/01/18 01:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Don’t worry! Be happy!

But there is this...

Eight of the other 10 teams in the Big 12 have 12 or more commitments in place. Kansas State has six. Kansas is now down to two.

#2032619 - 08/01/18 05:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

So the posters here saying at least DB is a recruiter first is being blind to reality. Not a game dayer OR recruiting genius ! He needs to go sooner than later. Year 4 has him at 2 2019 recruits. Two!

#2032620 - 08/01/18 06:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Legendre isn't at all flaky. If coach Beaty is our HC and coach Hull is still on staff coming early signing period, Legendre will still probably be KU bound.

LeGendre decommitted.

Yep, saw that. Heard his recruitment had been heating up but was hopeful he'd stick cause of his relationship with coach Hull. Looks like his recruitment went more like Jason than Pooka or Harris. I'm sure he's gonna get a lot more offers still. Kid is legit.

It's obvious not much is gonna happen with commitments until coach Beaty's fate is decided one way or the other for sure and I'm almost certain that played a part here too.

#2032621 - 08/01/18 06:36 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So the posters here saying at least DB is a recruiter first is being blind to reality. Not a game dayer OR recruiting genius ! He needs to go sooner than later. Year 4 has him at 2 2019 recruits. Two!
That's some moronic "logic" there.

Gee, wonder why the 2019 recruiting has gone so slowly so far? Duh! Cause of all of the uncertainty around his immediate future along with all the public outcry from a lot of fans for his head.

Lots to crap on him about his coaching, but not so much about his recruiting skills. Looking at this class out of context to say otherwise is just stupid.

#2032623 - 08/01/18 09:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

That's some moronic "logic" there.

Gee, wonder why the 2019 recruiting has gone so slowly so far? Duh! Cause of all of the uncertainty around his immediate future along with all the public outcry from a lot of fans for his head.

Lots to crap on him about his coaching, but not so much about his recruiting skills. Looking at this class out of context to say otherwise is just stupid.
that's what you are faced when dealing with a moron.

#2032625 - 08/01/18 10:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LeGendre decommitted.

On a better recruiting note, looks like we made the top 5 of another good recruit today.

CJ Boone a 6'3" 175lbs. WR out of Parkway North HS in St. Louis just named us as one of his top schools. Another Juice Johnson recruit from the St. Louis area. Kid has been showing really well at camps this summer and has legit 4.4 speed. He'd be a really good get as WR's with both size and elite speed are a rare breed.

#2032626 - 08/01/18 10:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL

#2032627 - 08/02/18 07:32 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

CJ Boone a 6'3" 175lbs. WR out of Parkway North HS in St. Louis just named us as one of his top schools. Another Juice Johnson recruit from the St. Louis area. Kid has been showing really well at camps this summer and has legit 4.4 speed. He'd be a really good get as WR's with both size and elite speed are a rare breed.

Great size and speed.

Channel Zales

#2032632 - 08/02/18 10:26 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

LOL
58 - Your sentence fragment "you are faced when" should be "you are faced with". Between you and kman, I find the irony pretty rich!

My facts dealing with DB's 2019 recruiting stand as reality, not moronic at all.

#2032635 - 08/02/18 12:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Honest answer...one word... either yes or no.. assuming DB is the coach this year and KU wins five games... would you be disappointed? No ands ifs or butts... just one word “yes” or “no”

#2032638 - 08/02/18 01:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

No, because I'm all about the program, not a Beaty-hater. He looks like a football coach, but has little cattle vs hat on game day. His 2018 effort has to produce wins in 2018 or he is gone for a qualified, bona fide, college coach replacement.

#2032640 - 08/02/18 03:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

No, because I'm all about the program, not a Beaty-hater. He looks like a football coach, but has little cattle vs hat on game day. His 2018 effort has to produce wins in 2018 or he is gone for a qualified, bona fide, college coach replacement.

Good answer

#2032643 - 08/02/18 04:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Good answer

Thanks Professor Turgeson

#2032644 - 08/02/18 06:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Good answer

Thanks jman for the response. Track has a tendency to talk down to us common posters.

#2032646 - 08/02/18 06:39 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Good answer

Thanks jman for the response. Track has a tendency to talk down to us common posters.

You are kidding... “common poster”... HA!....Everyone knows you are the forums most popular and insightful poster.

#2032647 - 08/02/18 08:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

When someone here wants to know if I hate the coach, the answer is simplistic. No. But I've said it numerous times in the recent past. Whether I'm popular or insightful is very irrelevant to this Board. Hope you got something out of this topic.

#2032648 - 08/03/18 12:58 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

4-star New Orleans QB Lance LeGendre decommits from KU

#2032650 - 08/03/18 05:12 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

4-star New Orleans QB Lance LeGendre decommits from KU
That's already been posted in this thread. Look back up to pizzanbeer's post from a couple days ago.

#2032658 - 08/03/18 10:45 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

It just showed up in a news article today that's why I posted it sorry

#2032672 - 08/03/18 07:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL
58 - Your sentence fragment "you are faced when" should be "you are faced with". Between you and kman, I find the irony pretty rich!

My facts dealing with DB's 2019 recruiting stand as reality, not moronic at all.
I guess typos don't count? Pretty ironic...

#2032673 - 08/03/18 07:58 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

LOL

I guess typos don't count? Pretty ironic...
I will be blunt so you will understand. Sentence fragments or "typos" make the poster appear moronic. Therefore,... ironic. Got it?

#2032675 - 08/04/18 12:50 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

It just showed up in a news article today that's why I posted it sorry
No need to apologize. Just pointing to pizzanbeer's post so you could see what we'd said about it already.

#2032688 - 08/05/18 01:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

My facts dealing with DB's 2019 recruiting stand as reality, not moronic at all.[/quote] I guess typos don't count? Pretty ironic... [/quote]I will be blunt so you will understand. Sentence fragments or "typos" make the poster appear moronic. Therefore,... ironic. Got it?[/quote] Actually none has to do with the other. Making typos doesn't mean a person is a moron. got it?

#2032689 - 08/05/18 03:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"dealing with a moron" was your latter part of the sentence fragment that you posted, moron. Definitely ironic when you call someone a moron while using imperfect English sentence structure. I call it as I see it.

#2032691 - 08/05/18 05:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

"dealing with a moron" was your latter part of the sentence fragment that you posted, moron. Definitely ironic when you call someone a moron while using imperfect English sentence structure. I call it as I see it.
Being able to think ahead of writing is considered an asset by most. Some even may call the person a genius...

#2032694 - 08/05/18 06:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

You meant idiot savant, not genius.

On a football note, my wife & I will be cheering on the boys Sept 1. Plan to be near the band to enjoy their tunes. Probably staying at Oread on the hill.

#2032701 - 08/06/18 07:45 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On a football note, my wife & I will be cheering on the boys Sept 1. Plan to be near the band to enjoy their tunes. Probably staying at Oread on the hill.

Hate to tell you this, but fans can't hear the band due to the PA system blasting crappola. Just another way KUAC ruins the game day experience.

#2032753 - 08/10/18 10:45 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

The game day experience is going to be surreal anyway due to the pending news of HC replacement in 2018. Unless, he can find a way to start winning on game day at the college level.

#2032756 - 08/10/18 01:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Hate to tell you this, but fans can't hear the band due to the PA system blasting crappola. Just another way KUAC ruins the game day experience.
Yeah, I don't get this either. It seems to me that they started going way over on the volume during Mangino's last year and have kept it up since. It sounds like crap and doesn't really help anything out, other than to accelerate me possibly going deaf in the future!

Same with the PA system in Allen Fieldhouse. Seems about the time the long time Fieldhouse announcer retired (blanking on his name right now) also about 10 years ago they went over the top with volume levels there too. Though, the past couple years it doesn't seem so bad.

Are the latest wave of students hard of hearing or did a bunch of older near deaf faculty/employees complain they couldn't hear the music or announcements and that's why they did this? I don't get it and have heard some passing comments from time to time from some more influential alumni than me about it too.

#2032757 - 08/10/18 01:26 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Also, looks like KU made the top 3 for Tyreese Jackson, a 6'2" 215lbs. 3 star RB out of Westgate HS in New Iberia, LA. He was thought to be a lock for Virginia until a couple weeks ago when he made a visit up to West Virginia where they put the full press on him and now he's a heavy lean to WVU. He did say right after that visit though that he's going to take all of his official visits this fall and those are planned to be KU, WVU, and Virginia.

#2032764 - 08/10/18 03:02 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

You're all about having the last word even if its moronic. But homie don't play that.

#2032770 - 08/10/18 05:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

You're all about having the last word even if its moronic. But homie don't play that.
Again, you misspelled "homie". I can see you wearing a little tennis skirt, swishing around. I classify being "that way" as moronic, so wear it proudly, 58.

#2033630 - 09/19/18 11:33 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
daverclear Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: This is America
Kman, any word on visits from the Rutgers game? Seems like that would have been the best game to have recruits to in a long time.

#2033656 - 09/20/18 12:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: daverclear]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

As best as I can tell, KU had about 8 to 10 recruits in for the game. Some guys playing things really quiet with their recruitment, so it's hard to confirm if they really made it up or not. Jayden Russell, a 6'1" 180lbs. 3 star CB out of Saint Thomas Aquinas in OP was probably the most hyped recruit at the game that I can confirm 100% right now.

Believe Clay Cundiff, our 3 star TE out of Bishop Carroll in Wichita was also at the game.

#2033975 - 10/01/18 04:43 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Could Long already have his next head coaching hire lined out and have him recruiting already? Or is that not a possibility? No restrictions on recruiting if he hasn't officially been hired right?

#2033983 - 10/01/18 08:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Long must be concerned that we only have 2 committed recruits. I noticed the next lowest Big 12 program is KSU at 8 committed recruits and the next lowest is Oklahoma State at 16. If Long waits to hire a new head coach until the end of the season in late November or early December after bowl games then we will have a very weak recruiting class.

#2033991 - 10/02/18 02:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: jayhawkfan0710
Could Long already have his next head coaching hire lined out and have him recruiting already? Or is that not a possibility? No restrictions on recruiting if he hasn't officially been hired right?
That'd be very much against NCAA rules I believe, especially if supposed coach was trying to recruits guys to KU (i.e. to a specific school)

#2033992 - 10/02/18 02:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Long must be concerned that we only have 2 committed recruits. I noticed the next lowest Big 12 program is KSU at 8 committed recruits and the next lowest is Oklahoma State at 16. If Long waits to hire a new head coach until the end of the season in late November or early December after bowl games then we will have a very weak recruiting class.
Only thing that could emolliate that a bit is the fact that we probably can only sign about 17 or 18 recruits tops for this class.

#2034048 - 10/03/18 03:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Only thing that could emolliate that a bit is the fact that we probably can only sign about 17 or 18 recruits tops for this class.

By the time we hire a new guy in December and he gets on board he has about 3 weeks til the early signing period, so maybe he gets 1-2 kids, MAYBE. Then he has 2 months to try to get a few leftover scraps that happened to fall out of the bottom of the dumpster.

Not a enviable position to have to start in.

#2034051 - 10/03/18 07:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
track Offline
gale sayers

By the time we hire a new guy in December and he gets on board he has about 3 weeks til the early signing period, so maybe he gets 1-2 kids, MAYBE. Then he has 2 months to try to get a few leftover scraps that happened to fall out of the bottom of the dumpster.

Not a enviable position to have to start in.

That’s pretty much the same position Beaty started in. That’s why the first recruiting class often doesn’t count for much ... no time for the new coach to recruit a decent class. Of course the big name football schools are going to attract a certain number of players regardless who the coach is. Unfortunately KU has never attracted a lot of players on school name alone...,except for some of the die hard KU fans and families

#2034271 - 10/08/18 12:28 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Jayhawk86 Offline
Baby Jay

Cudiff is now off the table. Switched his commit to Wisconsin.

#2034285 - 10/08/18 08:36 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jayhawk86]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

This recruiting class is going to be like a scavenger hunt for the next coach. If I was Long that is how I would sell it anyway. It makes it sound fun.

#2034657 - 10/23/18 10:22 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Does anyone have any idea where we are with recruiting right now? Is there nothing going on right now because no one knows where they will be working next fall?

We have one commit right now, a RB who if he does stick to his commitment and no one transfers, will be behind Williams, Herbert, Williams at the very least, certainly not a position of need. We had a TE commit, which I never understood that since we have never utilized all the dimensions a TE anyway.

I'm also interested in what others think of the issue, I think Keegan expressed it, that the roster will be worse shape this winter than when Gill or Weis left. The numbers are about the same, but the talent level will be down with the loss of productive players like Wise and Dineen. We may not have seen the bottom yet.

#2034659 - 10/23/18 11:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Does anyone have any idea where we are with recruiting right now? Is there nothing going on right now because no one knows where they will be working next fall?

We have one commit right now, a RB who if he does stick to his commitment and no one transfers, will be behind Williams, Herbert, Williams at the very least, certainly not a position of need. We had a TE commit, which I never understood that since we have never utilized all the dimensions a TE anyway.

I'm also interested in what others think of the issue, I think Keegan expressed it, that the roster will be worse shape this winter than when Gill or Weis left. The numbers are about the same, but the talent level will be down with the loss of productive players like Wise and Dineen. We may not have seen the bottom yet.

So glad KU kept Beaty another year. It REALLY stabilized the program.

#2034676 - 10/24/18 11:56 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The coaches still are on the road and recruiting when they can, as well as giving out new offers. For understandable reasons no recruits are committing.

Also, I totally disagree that the roster will be as bad as it was when Weis left. Not really close. I do agree that it will be similar to when Gill left. I also agree that in some position groups the talent looks like it will be down next year. Hard to replace NFL level guys with more future NFL level guys especially if you're in the situation our program is in right now.

The main reason why I said "looks like it will be down" and not something more definitive is because from what I've seen I think we've got some high quality guys behind Dineen and Loneker for example who when given a chance have come in and produced well. Guys with some good talent. Don't think we've got anyone coming up who's nearly as good as Wise is though.

#2034677 - 10/24/18 12:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

If you believe, kman, the blueshirts counting towards this year's (2019) recruiting class are a normal thing based upon the "new" rules (see David Beaty article), consider this. All other BG12 # of commits, team wise, are WAY above one commit at this time. This is one BIG reason to fire the dadgum coach who put us in this latest mess.

Truly cannot blame previous coaches messes on the current one regarding recruiting.

#2034682 - 10/24/18 12:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No, if you believe me about the condition the roster was in when Weis was fired VS. how it will be after this season, then you believe facts.

As for your "interpretation" of what I meant from what I said, other than exactly what I did say, per usual you're dead wrong.

#2034686 - 10/24/18 01:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

No, if you believe me about the condition the roster was in when Weis was fired VS. how it will be after this season, then you believe facts.

As for your "interpretation" of what I meant from what I said, other than exactly what I did say, per usual you're dead wrong.
If you took time to read my post, I was telling about the David Beaty BS about lack of recruiting commitments. I wasn't saying your "facts" were BS, but if we need to reaffirm it, go ahead. No, the CURRENT roster is filled with the same holes as Weiss', but his CURRENT roster is his problem (Beaty). Got it?

#2035350 - 11/08/18 06:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

I know there is a lot of turnover when new coaches come in but can someone give a number on how many scholarships Les I mean the future coach has to offer?

#2035354 - 11/08/18 08:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Don't have the exact number right now, but it's roughly 15 or so.

#2035360 - 11/08/18 09:22 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Same number as Beatys first year?

#2035361 - 11/08/18 10:41 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Can Miles recruit now and be hired later? He wouldn't have to follow the rules pertaining to recruiting. He could visit homes, etc.
Correct?

#2035363 - 11/08/18 10:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Beaty had a full regular 25 for his 1st recruiting class. Some of those were guys who committed while Weis was still the coach and even 1 or 2 who committed when we had Bowen as the interim, so it might not be seen by all as "his" 1st recruiting class. He then had 17 regular type recruits for his next class in which he recruited all of the recruits.

This will probably be a smaller class than the 17 or maybe close to the same number.

#2035364 - 11/08/18 10:55 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Can Miles recruit now and be hired later? He wouldn't have to follow the rules pertaining to recruiting. He could visit homes, etc.
Correct?
If someone has agreed in principle or verbally, but hasn't made it official by signing any contracts or other similar type agreement, then they can do whatever they want in regards to recruiting right now, Les Miles included.

Also, is it me, or does anyone else keep thinking people are talking about Miles Kendrick when you see headlines or thread titles/posts just saying "Miles"? LOL

#2035374 - 11/09/18 08:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Hopefully he keeps his redshirt and they don't pull it.

#2035384 - 11/09/18 12:02 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

15 is a scary number! Les is a really good coach but can he pull this team out of that hole?

#2035814 - 11/18/18 05:02 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

After a certain amount of time spent stuffing the supporting staff openings, I expect to see a flurry of activity on this thread.
For starters, I think a priority will be to secure additions to our QB inventory.

#2035816 - 11/18/18 06:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Hell just use em all on Offense load up and go all out on a juggernaut

#2035891 - 11/19/18 11:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

I hear that Les was in contact with Marcus Hicks tonight. Might have trouble flipping him from OU, but at least he's already making an effort! I like it! Trying to keep the in state kids at KU!!

#2035914 - 11/20/18 04:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Where did you hear that Magicman?

#2035919 - 11/20/18 05:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

I know the family.

#2036086 - 11/25/18 01:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Anyone know what is going on recruiting wise? I am sure a lot is going on behind the scenes. Just curious if we knew of specific targets.

#2036103 - 11/25/18 09:02 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Only thing specific I've heard is that coach Miles has been making contact with a lot of the top area( Kansas/KC) recruits committed or uncommitted trying to get them all to take another serious look at KU.

A couple have even said something publicly about it and how they're looking at KU in a different light now.

* Just heard about 1 official visitor coming in next weekend for an official visit.

Also hearing about 3 others possibly coming in for official visits in the next 2 weeks also now.

Edited by Kman_blue (11/25/18 10:13 PM)

#2036121 - 11/26/18 10:43 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Starting to hear more things stirring on the recruiting front now.

Think Miles has contacted just about every P-5 level recruit in the Kansas and KC areas. Also hearing a bunch of rumblings from down in the boot about guys being contacted and showing real interest in KU.

I now think most of the 4 guys I heard about late last night will be visiting this coming weekend instead of spread out over this weekend and the next.

If some of the stuff I'm hearing turns out to come to fruition we're gonna be making some headlines nationally. It's still real early though and things can and do change, but I'm starting to get really excited about the potential of this all. If half of it comes true I might even get as excited as I did on our monster Jr. Day back in 2016.

#2036124 - 11/26/18 10:47 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Nice tease KMan!

I did see over the weekend we offered Donte Starks MLB from Mississippi, he’s a 5 star committed to LSU. Pooka sent him some love on twitter.

Also reoffered Jayden Russell, 4 star DB from St Thomas Aquinas. Looks like he’s visiting this weekend for the Stanford game.

Two weeks is Nova game, we have to get some big targets there! AFH will be on one for that game.

Edited by Topcitykid10 (11/26/18 10:55 AM)

#2036132 - 11/26/18 11:34 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I won't be surprised if Russell commits after this weekend if what I've heard about him is correct. Believe he grew up a Miles/LSU fan and also really likes KU. I also won't be surprised if we flip 1 or 2 local/regional guys already committed to other schools.

Hearing a couple of really big names down South now considering KU and Starks was 1 of them. I kinda don't want to jinx it if I can.

#2036135 - 11/26/18 11:59 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

There we go. This is already approaching that :flurry" I was talking about, even if there's only rumor to go on at the moment.
Must say I'm surprised to hear more about player recruiting than staff members though. Figured our new staff might have some players in mnd on their own account...
In any case exciting stuff. Keep it coming.

#2036173 - 11/27/18 12:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Coaches suddenly following Mason Fairchild, TE from Andale. Probably not a P5 guy by the looks of it.

#2036179 - 11/27/18 04:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Max Falkenstien

Coaches suddenly following Mason Fairchild, TE from Andale. Probably not a P5 guy by the looks of it.

The kid is a baller though and can play with anyone

#2036198 - 11/27/18 09:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Offered today 3 star from Harvey, LA CB Gregory Brooks Jr. Dude has some good offetrs- Miss St, Arkansas, ol miss & MU

#2036199 - 11/27/18 09:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Expect some more guys getting offered and/or letting it be known that they were just offered down in the boot and even neighboring Mississippi in the coming days. Miles has been working it hard along with coach Hull over the past few days as well as some of our current players helping out. Pooka may turn out to be not only the best player on this team, but maybe our best unofficial recruiter too though Harris is giving him a run for his money on both counts IMHO.

#2036203 - 11/27/18 10:51 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Good to hear Hull still in the mix. Any offices cleared out in Anderson? I would like to see Riley stay on

#2036344 - 12/01/18 05:22 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Cole Mueller 3 star RB from Wentzville, MO is next to Miles

#2036354 - 12/01/18 07:04 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Hope Miles doesn't purger himself...

#2036365 - 12/01/18 11:52 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Jayden Russell and his brother and dad were next to Cole.

#2036374 - 12/02/18 02:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Gavin Potter 3 star OLB from broken arrow, OK now has a offer. Oh btw he’s commitfed to KSU. That would be a fun get!

#2036375 - 12/02/18 03:01 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Online   shocked
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Topeka
Rumor has it that coach Snyder has announced his retirement

Edited by DrGreydog (12/02/18 03:02 PM)

#2036376 - 12/02/18 03:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
Goober Offline
Prairie Warrior

Bill Snyder has stepped down. KSU issued a statement.

#2036438 - 12/04/18 10:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Any truth to the rumor new OC Lindsey has an in toward attracting graduate QB transfer Kelly Bryant to KU?

#2036442 - 12/04/18 11:43 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Any truth to the rumor new OC Lindsey has an in toward attracting graduate QB transfer Kelly Bryant to KU?
He has a list of 5 schools that are leading and he has visited, but it doesn't mean he is ruling out us.

#2036443 - 12/04/18 12:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

Can we get Lance Legendre back? Build an offense around him.

#2036452 - 12/04/18 03:50 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Sounds like a good plan greydog, if you can make it work. smile

Bryant set to announce today (at 5 I think) so doesn't sound to me like Kansas has much at stake. His top choice was previously thought to be Auburn (with Lindsey OC), but Mizzou seems to have been equally attractive to him. Malzahn had another in home with him today as Auburn's starter is electing for early entry.
Our idea was if he had chosen Auburn because of Lindsey he might give us a good look. We don't presently have winning as a sales pitch, so there ya go. He only has one year to play.

Greydog's idea sounds more realistic, right?

#2036474 - 12/04/18 10:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Kelly Bryant is transfering to Missouri damn

#2036493 - 12/06/18 09:09 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

That is crazy! Is MU finally getting involved in the SEC money bags recruitment?

#2036499 - 12/06/18 10:46 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Robby Ashford QB
Linsey offered the 4****. Probly gonna be lots of competition to get him, but he would be a great get. IMO, from what I've seen on film Robby is a multi talented PLAYER! Great running threat, can throw on the run, seems to make good decisions under duress. I feel he'd be a step up for KU at QB. Would really like to see him teamed with Pooka, Charlot, etal.

#2036502 - 12/06/18 12:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

It looks like Lindsey Scott made a poor choice, last year, choosing Missouri. He was stuck behind Lock and now behind Bryant. He could have, possibly, been a three year starter at KU. He was the #1 rated juco QB last year at East Mississippi.

#2036531 - 12/07/18 10:22 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Donte Starks coming in for a visit this weekend.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/donte-starks-182007

#2036532 - 12/07/18 10:54 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: kylecof11]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Donte Starks coming in for a visit this weekend.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2019/donte-starks-182007

I've watched film on this kid, he looks like the real deal. Just don't let the Adidas reps get a hold of him!

#2036540 - 12/07/18 02:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Lets get some adidas money rolling in! Ha We need all the help we can get

#2036554 - 12/07/18 04:42 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Is Starks just making this trip for fun? Or did he decommit form LSU?

#2036567 - 12/07/18 07:33 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He's not making the trip for fun and he hasn't publicly changed his commitment. He's giving KU a serious look.

I hope he doesn't have a problem with the cold way below normal weather we've been having (since about mid October). At least it's gonna be somewhat sunny for the weekend.

Kid is legit and would be a HUGE pickup if we could flip him. A KU D with him and Corione would immediately make everybody else around them better because of what those 2 can do. Harris didn't get the publicity he should have this year IMHO. He's gonna be a stud for us before he goes pro and yes I just predicted Harris is gonna be the next Harris DB from KU to make it in the NFL.

Oh and there's a few other visitors on campus this weekend too. Some of them are also currently publicly committed elsewhere as well.

#2036572 - 12/07/18 08:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

He's not making the trip for fun and he hasn't publicly changed his commitment. He's giving KU a serious look.

I hope he doesn't have a problem with the cold way below normal weather we've been having (since about mid October). At least it's gonna be somewhat sunny for the weekend.

Kid is legit and would be a HUGE pickup if we could flip him. A KU D with him and Corione would immediately make everybody else around them better because of what those 2 can do. Harris didn't get the publicity he should have this year IMHO. He's gonna be a stud for us before he goes pro and yes I just predicted Harris is gonna be the next Harris DB from KU to make it in the NFL.

Oh and there's a few other visitors on campus this weekend too. Some of them are also currently publicly committed elsewhere as well.

Any news on QB's Kman?

#2036576 - 12/07/18 08:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Any news on QB's Kman?
Last thing and really only thing I've heard on that front was that we are after and in on a couple of 4 star guys. Gonna take some work to get either one but it looks like we've got a decent fighting chance. Sounds like we plan on getting at least 2 guys in this class. Not sure if both will be initial counter traditional recruits though.

#2036579 - 12/07/18 10:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

K an who are some of the other visitors?

#2036595 - 12/08/18 02:08 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm planning to study up on Legendre this week (QB from NO).
Anyone with interest should dig up the film you can find to watch on Robby Ashford.
We should start smear campaigns against every other school who is after him.
PS; don't let on like you're from KU! LOL

#2036597 - 12/08/18 02:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Tweet from JayhawkSlant

Two key local visitors on campus this weekend Keenan Garber @KeenanGarber and Jax Dineen @call_me_jax both standouts from Free State

#2036607 - 12/08/18 03:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

K an who are some of the other visitors?
Starks, Garber, Dineen, JUCO QB (forgot his name but recall he's out of an Arizona JUCO), 3 guys committed elsewhere who don't want their names known as visiting, and at least 2 others I believe. I didn't pay enough attention to what I heard to know for sure if the last 2 guys were visiting or just recently set a future visit date though. 1 person said they thought as many as a dozen or so guys were visiting this weekend.

I'm a bit unclear on if these are all scholarship guys visiting or if some PWO guys are among the group too. My mind has been elsewhere this week so I didn't sweat the details too much.

#2036616 - 12/08/18 07:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Your mind is elsewhere? Come on Kman we are counting on you! Kidding kidding! We appreciate what you do.

#2036626 - 12/08/18 09:04 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Thank you Kman. Hope all is well. Rock Chalk!

#2036670 - 12/09/18 06:10 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

Mason Fairchild switches and commits to KU.
6' 250lbs tight end

#2036672 - 12/09/18 06:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Just saw a tweet Jayden Russell to Miami (Ohio).

#2036674 - 12/09/18 07:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Jayden Russell to KU! Woohoo

#2036676 - 12/09/18 07:55 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
6' 250lbs tight end

Mason is 6' 5" tall and 255 pounds Dr.Greydog according to JayhawkSlant

#2036679 - 12/09/18 08:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
rockchalkjjjhawk Offline
Seer

#2036680 - 12/09/18 08:31 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I must have misread something. Thought the tweet I saw was dated late today!
Great news! Miles "take over Kansas" program is booming. I like it.

#2036686 - 12/10/18 04:23 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
6' 250lbs tight end

Mason is 6' 5" tall and 255 pounds Dr.Greydog according to JayhawkSlant
His measurements show he's a tall 6'4" to 6'4.5" guy, so a lot closer to the 6'5" JayhawkSlant says.

#2036687 - 12/10/18 04:25 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Also heard there was about 15 visitors this past weekend. Think we've got 3 other guys committed from the group who just haven't come out publicly yet.

#2036694 - 12/10/18 11:17 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

Hope Coach is bringing in some this weekend for the Nova game!

#2036696 - 12/10/18 11:23 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

When is the early signing period again?

#2036698 - 12/10/18 11:43 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

#2036703 - 12/10/18 04:05 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Also heard there was about 15 visitors this past weekend. Think we've got 3 other guys committed from the group who just haven't come out publicly yet.
Kman always so secretive. Spill the beans!

#2036715 - 12/10/18 06:44 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

LOL

Don't think the recruits nor KU want the names out yet. I certainly don't want to do anything like blabbing out their names if they didn't want it out there to possibly screw up their committing to KU.

Just to continue with my secretiveness I think a current TTech commit and a current ksu commit will be visiting this next weekend.

Now for some more public info, Donte Starks has really been pimpin KU stuff on twitter ever since he landed at KCI last Friday and he's still doin it today from back down home in the boot. He's also been retweeting some tweets from current KU players and they've been retweeting some of his stuff too. Reminds me a lot of how Harris's recruitment went down last year. Here's hoping he really does flip to KU!

#2036717 - 12/10/18 06:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

I would be tickled pink if we could flip a commit from KSU and Donte Starks whens the last time that's happened for us? Starks could be our next Joe Dineen or even better

Edited by Josh2408 (12/10/18 06:59 PM)

#2036719 - 12/10/18 07:39 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I would be tickled pink if we could flip a commit from KSU and Donte Starks whens the last time that's happened for us? Starks could be our next Joe Dineen or even better
Better.

#2036742 - 12/11/18 09:25 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Same quality that plays hard. LSU bound though.

#2036751 - 12/11/18 03:02 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

From His Twitter

JayhawkSlant Retweeted him

Trenton Yowe has reopened his recruitment and De-Committed from Mississippi State

#2036752 - 12/11/18 03:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

QB Thomas MacVittie just commited to KU

Highlight video

Link Courtesy of Hudl.com

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10754671/5bb1860d9a9c0b0e30bb5827

Edited by Josh2408 (12/11/18 03:23 PM)

#2036755 - 12/11/18 03:29 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Got a little clearer info on 1 of the guys and it sounds more like he's a lean KU and not a commit at this point, so there's another reason for me not to blab names out in public cause the initial info (especially when it's only from 1 source) is sometimes not quite correct.

#2036759 - 12/11/18 04:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

What do you think of MacVittie Kman?

#2036760 - 12/11/18 04:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
John Brown

#2036770 - 12/11/18 05:57 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Hope it works out. We know the history of JUCO QBs here.

#2036772 - 12/11/18 06:42 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Now if we can flip Lance Legandgre we would be set

#2036773 - 12/11/18 07:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Not quite sure how you mean this, 58. Some of our better KU QBs have been JuCos, recent history not withstanding. You can't discount the accomplishments and team success behind guys like Bill Whittemore, Mike Norseth, and Mark Williams. These guys were major upgrades at the position. We don't know how the new guy will work out, but its a new staff with new coaches, that may have something to do with it.

#2036779 - 12/11/18 08:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He's got really good size and scrambles really well. He looks to throw accurately while scrambling or on the move. He's got some good moves and speed when running too. Looks like a solid mobile QB with some good scrambling ability to me.

His passing skills look good enough to get the job done and I think he runs as good or better than Miles does. He definitely throws better and more accurately on the move than anyone currently on the roster including Miles.

I think he'll be competing for the starting spot right off the bat here.

#2036786 - 12/11/18 10:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Not quite sure how you mean this, 58. Some of our better KU QBs have been JuCos, recent history not withstanding. You can't discount the accomplishments and team success behind guys like Bill Whittemore, Mike Norseth, and Mark Williams. These guys were major upgrades at the position. We don't know how the new guy will work out, but its a new staff with new coaches, that may have something to do with it.
Well I guess I needed to be more clear. I was meaning JUCOs and transfers from the last three coaching programs.

#2036790 - 12/11/18 11:22 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Kman I was just messing with you, I totally understand keeping rumors hush.

#2036791 - 12/11/18 11:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

With the hiring of Emmet Jones they've definitely got a shot at... https://247sports.com/player/steven-parker-46041207/

#2036792 - 12/11/18 11:41 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

MacVittie film looks real good. I would put an asterisk beside his name just like Miles and Bender. They all looked good and put up big numbers against lower level of competition than they'll face in our conference.
Problem is those lower level numbers don't usually translate as well as hoped. However, this kid has a combination of factors that might just make the difference. We'll see. Nice to have a good QB competition for the coaches to sort out.

#2036801 - 12/12/18 08:21 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He's got really good size and scrambles really well. He looks to throw accurately while scrambling or on the move. He's got some good moves and speed when running too. Looks like a solid mobile QB with some good scrambling ability to me.

His passing skills look good enough to get the job done and I think he runs as good or better than Miles does. He definitely throws better and more accurately on the move than anyone currently on the roster including Miles.

I think he'll be competing for the starting spot right off the bat here.

Quick decision making ability in passing situation is his strength. Read the Defense, get the ball and immediately pass it.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/10754671/5b8e969564df6c0cb0dd7ab4

#2036809 - 12/12/18 11:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

With the hiring of Emmet Jones they've definitely got a shot at... https://247sports.com/player/steven-parker-46041207/
Tall wideout. Me likes that.

#2036810 - 12/12/18 11:19 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

Seeing lots of kids announcing offers from KU on twitter.

Sounds like a 2019 class of about 15. We have 4, and a good chance of more. Hope to see some linemen in the mix soon

#2036822 - 12/12/18 06:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
schmuck34 Offline

Agreed!

#2036829 - 12/12/18 08:17 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Maybe the kid plays both ways, and plays WR on offense but I believe most of the schools in on him are looking at him as a Defensive end recruit. Ask KMan, he would be the one who knows all things KU football recruiting

#2036834 - 12/13/18 01:10 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

Any info Kman?

#2036851 - 12/13/18 01:36 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Jman1]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Maybe the kid plays both ways, and plays WR on offense but I believe most of the schools in on him are looking at him as a Defensive end recruit. Ask KMan, he would be the one who knows all things KU football recruiting

His position per Rivals is WDE. I think that means weak side defensive end. I think some people see the W and think wideout.

#2036856 - 12/13/18 04:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
schmuck34 Offline

His position per Rivals is WDE. I think that means weak side defensive end. I think some people see the W and think wideout.
Good catch. Got lost with tracking the new recruits. There are several receivers in play though for sure.

#2036859 - 12/13/18 05:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

But I thought we had to keep Beaty for recruiting continuity??

#2036862 - 12/13/18 06:45 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

We 'had to keep' HULL, kook. Haven't you been listening?

#2036875 - 12/14/18 10:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Phog Fanatic

Any news on who we have coming in to visit this weekend?

#2036887 - 12/14/18 05:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Donte Starks Has on his twitter he is narrowed it down to KU and LSU with an December 19th date and letter of intent emote

#2036894 - 12/14/18 07:16 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Jayden Russell is in the ear of Keith Miller 111 on twitter trying to get him to come here, Miller just de-committed from Texas Tech and reopened his recruitment after picking up an offer from us

#2036895 - 12/14/18 07:36 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Jayden Russell is in the ear of Keith Miller 111 on twitter trying to get him to come here, Miller just de-committed from Texas Tech and reopened his recruitment after picking up an offer from us
Cool.

#2036901 - 12/14/18 10:25 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Steven Parker says it's between TCU and Texas Tech. Would have loved for him to sign with the Hawks!

#2036902 - 12/14/18 11:11 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Max Falkenstien

Link courtesy of ESPN.com

All the players currently considering a scholarship offer from KU right now.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2305/class/2019/page/considering

#2036931 - Yesterday at 05:58 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Josh2408]
58hawk Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Link courtesy of ESPN.com

All the players currently considering a scholarship offer from KU right now.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/2305/class/2019/page/considering
Great site. Thanks...

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 ... 19 20 >

Preview