Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2030730 - 05/07/18 10:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: track
I echo your sentiments...above and beyond the partying. I knew guys on the 69 orange bowl team that had never touched a weight until they got to KU. I went to one of the largest high schools in the state and we didn't own a single weight in the late 60s. That's a far cry from the weight rooms seen now at even small high schools. I had a friend that started at KSU at defensive end at the time....5'10 and 210 pounds...no weight training....a far cry from Dorance. armstrong.
I know at the time of my observations of our old family friend's son that KU had training table and most of their team were staying on campus during the summer and working out together (as were most P-5 level teams at the time from what I understand). Not all of them, but definitely most of the starters were.

Things weren't nearly as lax as you describe from the late 60's, but they also weren't quite like they are nowadays either with the entire team spending their entire summers on campus doing team workouts.

#2030734 - 05/08/18 06:25 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
I guess you didn’t know bobby Douglas or John rigging.

#2030744 - 05/08/18 10:53 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I've briefly met both before, but they're both before my time as far as being alive when they played at KU.

#2030895 - 05/13/18 07:36 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: track
I guess you didn’t know bobby Douglas or John rigging.
You are destroying the integrity of this topic. Dgless is leaving to go post on a KSU board from now on. lol

#2031713 - 06/20/18 01:28 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

As was just posted in this story Elijah Jones is coming to KU as well as another JUCO CB that just got on campus. Don't want to mention the name of the other guy as if he hasn't attended a class yet he can still be recruited by other schools. Jones is yet another quality DB to join the team since last year. Him, Harris, and the others should significantly improve that unit this year.

Still expecting several more little talked about or even completely un-talked about guys to show up over the next 2 months. There's going to be a lot of new faces on this team come Sep. 1 and a lot of them look to be quality P-5 level guys. Not saying they're gonna be world beaters or all are gonna be difference makers but they should help things out quite a bit.

I'm still anxious to see how well Ricker can do putting together an OL as well as if he can coach up the OL guys we've got better than Yenser could. I think that'll go a long way in how our season goes. That and how well our secondary comes together are probably the most important factors in how much better (if any) our team will be.

It could be enough to save Beaty's job even.

#2031880 - 06/28/18 12:19 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Looks like KU got it's 2nd official commitment the other day with a commitment from Clay Cundiff. He's one of the top 2019 prospects in the state of Kansas and a 6'4" 225lbs. TE out of Bishop Carroll in Wichita. He's very physical while blocking and also a surprisingly good athlete for his size. Think I heard he ran a 4.8 electronically timed 40 at a Rivals camp this month.

KU was his 1st offer when we offered last year. Heard Iowa St., Arizona St. and KSU have been pursuing him to some degree and word is 2 or 3 of them plan on offering him soon. I won't be surprised if more offer after how well he's done at a couple camps so far this summer.

#2031881 - 06/28/18 07:48 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Four star prospects better the KU football program, so until then, no excitement from KU fans who don't follow. Fair-weather student sections going home to watch the Vanderpump Rules.

#2031882 - 06/28/18 08:30 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Maximus]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

On that 4 star note, 2 different 4 star recruits have mentioned KU is in their top 5 over the past couple weeks also.

I'm a little preoccupied right now with other stuff, and I can't recall their names at the moment, but 1 was a WR out of the St. Louis area and the other is another Louisiana recruit. Think Juice Johnson is the lead recruiter for the St. Louis guy and coach Hull is the lead recruiter for the Louisiana guy.

#2031883 - 06/28/18 04:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Thanks Kman.

Recruiting services have a busy summer with camp evaluations. Beaty needs to get several four star recruits from high school. Five stars only would go to KU for basketball.

#2032393 - 07/20/18 12:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Kman, Dgless, any news or are we just done with this thread?

#2032394 - 07/20/18 12:49 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: schmuck34

You really think Beaty is even trying to recruit? He knows he is done so he doesn't care how this recruiting class shakes out.

#2032404 - 07/20/18 11:27 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: EstebanBugatti]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

In recent years KU has competed with ISU for the cellar of Big 12 football. Usually both programs have similar results in recruiting. Sometimes KU is better and sometimes ISU is better in the final Rivals recruiting ranking. In this recruiting class ISU already has 18 recruits compared to KU with 2 recruits. This is not surprising considering how last season went in W-L totals for both teams. The recruiting results shine a spotlight on the further decline of KU football under Beaty and how that lack of success is cementing KU football into last place in the Big 12.

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/20/18 11:29 PM)

#2032407 - 07/21/18 02:04 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: schmuck34]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: schmuck34
It's a dead period right now.

Starting next Wednesday they have a 1 week quiet period where they can have official visitors and make contact (not in person, except on campus) with recruits. All of August is another dead period before the evaluation/quiet period begins again in September through November followed by a contact period leading up to the early signing day.

As pizzanbeer alluded to a lot of recruits are in wait and see mode with KU right now both because of how last year went and also because of the uncertainty of coach Beaty's tenure here. Several have expressed interest in KU or listed us in their top 5 or 4, but I think a lot are waiting to see how our season begins, I think a lot will depend on how our non-con schedule goes, If it goes like it did last year, we probably won't get very many commitments. On the other hand, if we go 3-0 I think we'll get a good number. All depends on how well we do or don't do.

From what I've heard, several recruits who've visited KU liked what they saw and are leaning towards committing, but they also know the situation here too and that's making them understandably hesitant. Not many recruits will commit if they think the HC is likely to not be here anymore when they show up on campus next year. There;s only a few Ben Heeney or Clay Cundiff type of recruits out there who'll commit because they love KU that much.

Despite what angry esteban thinks, the coaches are still out recruiting hard when they can (i.e. not during a dead period)..Juice and coach Hull in particular have been very active.

#2032411 - 07/21/18 08:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

I was looking for that recruit POV, news and info, thanks Kman.

#2032413 - 07/21/18 11:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Schmuck...are you back too. Dot netters are desperate. What happened pwhitt forgot to pay Go Daddy....lol.

Page 8 of 13 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 12 13 >

Preview