Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2028501 - 02/28/18 06:53 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage

#2028505 - 02/28/18 09:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: track
Bishop Meige is probably unlike KU in that low ranked kids are coached up to win.

Some of those catholic schools recruit from all over the city not restricted by boundaries as public schools are. This often gets them better players and allows them to typically dominate in many of the classes. And it’s not unusual for the coaches to be sport specific coaches who are not teachers by profession. ... another big advantage and recruiting advantage
dgless was telling us the opposite, that BM was filled with low ranked players who were able to overcome. State championship ensued

#2028511 - 03/01/18 12:07 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: moose1
Was that the KU staff that told him to think it over? If so that may be smart on their part. Keep guys from verballing when they are all excited and then backing out. Hopefully he has thought it through and this will have him and other recruits like him actually sign with KU.

No matter what we are going to have to suffer through other schools calling on him, and stories of those schools making a push for him.

The best thing to keep him and other recruits is WIN some games!
Think it was a mutual decision between his family and the coaches.

#2028512 - 03/01/18 12:12 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track

Private schools at all levels can do and get away with a ton more things than public schools can and that includes the college level.

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

#2028515 - 03/01/18 09:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

For example, back in the day I had a friend who played at SMU and never went to a class in his final 2 years of eligibility and just about never set foot on campus outside of team related stuff. He never got an F. He was never declared ineligible and never suffered any consequences of any real kind until after his eligibility was all used up.

Not sure they could get away with that level of stuff nowadays, but they still get away with a lot compared to public institutions.

Public or private, it makes no difference!

There was a history professor at Washburn back in the mid 70's who came there via UNL. In the early 70's he had three Husker Gridders turn in IDENTICAL term papers. When none of them fessed up to this HUGE coincidence, he flunked them all. They ended up passing and he lost his job.

It's be going on for years and years and it isn't going to stop. The "elite" college athletes will always have smooth sailing through any rough waters that academics might present. The hoops one and dones are currently the best example. At best they need to focus for a single semester of survey coursework. Kids that do get degrees in something besides "International Basket Weaving" or " Anitfa in the workplace" should be commended. Besides walkons, I think for anyone to call these kids "Student Athletes" is pretty funny in my book.

#2028531 - 03/01/18 12:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2028534 - 03/01/18 05:09 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
Sadly, from what we saw with UNC football and hoops, the NCAA can't/won't do anything about it.

NCAA? N ever C atch A ny A thlete

#2028537 - 03/01/18 06:06 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

That's not true. They'll crack down on any athlete trying to make some money.

#2028544 - 03/01/18 08:40 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Only if they're at an FCS or possibly low P-5 level school and below. Can't upset the NCAA money train too much!

#2028545 - 03/01/18 08:43 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

Public or private, it makes no difference!
I get your point, but there's still a big difference in what private schools can and do get away with. Also, my back in the day story was from the 1990's after the NCAA had started cracking down on the egregious type stuff the corn were doing in your example.

#2029388 - 03/28/18 11:29 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.

#2029396 - 03/28/18 06:34 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I believe we got Jalan signed because Emery is going the JUCO route if rumors are correct.

#2029666 - 04/04/18 10:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
Nice to see Robinson finally joined the fun. Looks to me like the staff did a pretty good job collecting some of the best local/area talent to develop. Here's hoping the last part of that works out in a positive way.
I've been happy to see the success we have enjoyed from local talent signed to KU and look forward to seeing that be a continuing trend.
That tells you all you need to know. "see the success"? Where?

#2030637 - 05/04/18 01:07 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

"Kansas stopped paying Charlie Weis at the end of 2016. Now it’s time to stop blaming him.

No doubt, David Beaty inherited a skeletal scholarship situation from Weis, but the former Texas A&M assistant coach is heading into his fourth season. He had plenty of time to get up to full speed and isn’t in part because he lost so many transfers.

As it is, Beaty will have an estimated 75 players who spent every season at KU on scholarship, 10 short of the maximum allowed and about four short of what most schools carry at any given time. Injuries and last-minute transfers keep teams below the maximum.

Any coaching change comes with inevitable transfers, so on that front you can’t put the blame on Beaty for losing Weis recruits such as Montell Cozart, Darious Crawley, Aaron Garza, Colton Goeas, Kyron Watson and D.J. Williams.

Beaty also lost 14 of his own recruits: Shola Ayinde, LaQuvionte Gonzalez, Chase Harrell, Travis Jordan, Maciah Long, Quincy Perdue, Ian Peterson, Stephan Robinson, Joshua Stanford, Tyriek Starks, Jace Sternberger, Justin Williams and Ryan Willis.

The reasons for the departures range from behavior issues to playing time to lacking the talent to play at the FBS level.

The house Beaty inherited had a cracked foundation. Nobody disputes that. He’s had time to repair it, and a daunting 2018 schedule awaits. Nobody is buying the blame-Charlie approach any longer. It has evolved from legitimate explanation to an excuse. Time to move on." - Keegan article that deserves to be reprinted here.

#2030644 - 05/04/18 03:19 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I cannot argue with that at all. Three phucking horrific hires in a phucking row. The most inept and mismanaged program in all of D1 football, suffering the worst decade of ANY team EVER, including the futility U teams of the late 80's that, all things being equal would beat our ass right now. It's time to nut up, or pack your sh)t and get ready to move after game five Beaty and Zenger.

RCJHKU!

Page 6 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Preview