Page 32 of 34 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038414 - 02/07/19 10:23 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Flint Hills
There are different ways of ranking a class. One service I saw (tried to find the link but forget where I saw it) showed a ranking based on quality per recruit, and in that context we ranked ahead of both KSU and TTech. That was based on individual recruit score average.
The limitations under which the Miles staff were operating (don't forget he also had to recruit another new OC very late in the process) make this class look like a gold strike in the backyard sandbox.
If the staff can coach these young guys up and get a few wins this year I think we'll be on our way up the ladder. Despite all the youth, don't forget our last 2 games of this year. We played the 2 best teams in our conference very competitively, thanks to DB finally stumbling onto the workable offensive formula for our talent. IIRC we captured a 4th qtr lead vs OU's final 4 squad. So it isn't like Miles inherited a completely bare cupboard. I'm really looking forward to see what our new roster can accomplish as an opening salvo for the new breed of Jayhawk footballers.

#2038421 - 02/08/19 06:57 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: AlOerter]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Was watching Midco Sports replay of national signing day special. Interviews with coaches were impressive. Solid group of youth and experience Miles has put together. These guys all seem to be genuinely excited to be here and to be a part of building something special with coach Miles. Can't remember this kind of buzz for KU football.

Rock Chalk!!!!
I agree!

#2038422 - 02/08/19 07:32 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
I love that everyone is excited about Miles and the new recruits...BUT....if the ranking services know anything this years class is nothing special....ranks next to last in the Big 12 and behind KSU who also has a new staff. I understand it's not as big as some of the classes but it's only one or two less than many schools that are ranked higher.
Next year will be the real test for Miles. Can we finally out recruit Ksu and Iowa state and baylor and Osu and TCU....cause that's what we are going to have to do if we intend on competing with the upper half of the conference.
Rivals has us tied with ksu and just behind TTech, but ahead of both on a per recruit average rating.

It doesn't help Rivals doesn't include 1 of our recruits, Brocila, the K. I imagine they'd throw a high 2 star rating on him which would pole vault us above both TTech and ksu.

KU, WVU, and TTech were the only teams that didn't sign at least 20 recruits and that hurts our ratings in Rivals system as they rate the top 20 recruits for each team.

I think our recruiting class is a very solid one and not bad at all, especially with all things considered. It's not top tier or even upper part of the pack yet either though.

Some things also to consider here.

We have 3 guys who only played 1 year of football and that probably doesn't help their rating out any. Another 2 guys just finished their 1st year playing a new position too which doesn't help. In large part a lot of these ratings are based on how well guys show in summer camps and if you didn't camp last summer your rating is gonna take a hit. If you camped playing a different position your rating probably isn't gonna be too accurate either. Several of our recruits were completely unrated until they committed to us which means nobody at Rivals evaluated them, so they have no idea what kind of recruit they are. Rivals throws a high 2 star though on every previously unrated guy who commits to a P-5 team, so they're rated as such now. That may not change in their final ratings, or maybe someone there properly evaluates someone and they get bumped up some. Hard to tell which will happen with Rivals.

#2038423 - 02/08/19 07:37 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Wilt Chamberlain

On a side note, 1 guy that really confuses me is Fairchild. Rivals rates him as an "athlete" and as such they rate him a middle 2 star which is just about the lowest rating they could have given him, but he's clearly a TE or OT recruit. He played TE in HS and so he should be rated as a TE and not an "athlete" which would probably bump his rating a little because they rate all "athletes" against each other and the same for TE's. He rates a lot better in comparison to other TE recruits than he does other "athlete" recruits IMO. Velton Gardner and Kenny Logan are rated as athletes for comparison and Fairchild ain't no Velton Gardner or Kenny Logan.

Speaking of which how does a guy with offers from the likes of Auburn, Miami, Nebraska, Mississippi, Pitt, BC, Louisville, and about 6 other P5 schools and more than a dozen G5 schools get rated as a middle of the road 3 star? Speaking of Logan here. He seems like a 4 star kid to me or at the least a high 3 star.

And just cause I've slid off into talking about individual recruits, if I had to guess who coach Miles thought were our 3 highest rated guys, I'd guess Parker, Potter, and Jereme Robinson. He spoke extremely highly of all 3 of those guys during his presser and during Hawk Talk even saying in a couple of years these 3 guys will be among the best in the country at their positions.

For context in regards to ratings here's how Rivals rates those guys.

Steven Parker - 4 stars (5.8 Rivals Rating) Rated our highest recruit.
Gavin Potter - 3 stars (5.5 Rivals Rating) Rated tied for our 6th highest recruit.
Jereme Robinson - 2 stars (5.4 Rivals Rating) Rated tied for our 11th highest recruit.

To put it in terms of how those guys affect our team ranking.

Parker = 105 points
Potter = 60 points
Robinson = 45 points

#2038424 - 02/08/19 07:42 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I love that everyone is excited about Miles and the new recruits...BUT....if the ranking services know anything this years class is nothing special....ranks next to last in the Big 12 and behind KSU who also has a new staff. I understand it's not as big as some of the classes but it's only one or two less than many schools that are ranked higher.
Next year will be the real test for Miles. Can we finally out recruit Ksu and Iowa state and baylor and Osu and TCU....cause that's what we are going to have to do if we intend on competing with the upper half of the conference.
Rivals has us tied with ksu and just behind TTech, but ahead of both on a per recruit average rating.

It doesn't help Rivals doesn't include 1 of our recruits, Brocila, the K. I imagine they'd throw a high 2 star rating on him which would pole vault us above both TTech and ksu.

KU, WVU, and ksu were the only teams that didn't sign at least 20 recruits and that hurts our ratings in Rivals system as they rate the top 20 recruits for each team.

I think our recruiting class is a very solid one and not bad at all, especially with all things considered. It's not top tier or even upper part of the pack yet either though.

Some things also to consider here.

We have 3 guys who only played 1 year of football and that probably doesn't help their rating out any. Another 2 guys just finished their 1st year playing a new position too which doesn't help. In large part a lot of these ratings are based on how well guys show in summer camps and if you didn't camp last summer your rating is gonna take a hit. If you camped playing a different position your rating probably isn't gonna be too accurate either. Several of our recruits were completely unrated until they committed to us which means nobody at Rivals evaluated them, so they have no idea what kind of recruit they are. Rivals throws a high 2 star though on every previously unrated guy who commits to a P-5 team, so they're rated as such now. That may not change in their final ratings, or maybe someone there properly evaluates someone and they get bumped up some. Hard to tell which will happen with Rivals.

I trust your evaluations more than some of the services but for whatever reason our class is ranked right in the middle of the 4 Beaty classes. Beaty classes ranked between 60-75 nationally and the current class is 65th. With a big time coach and a new indoor facility I would hope next year we get in the 30s or 40s nationally. ...but I suppose a lot will depend on our success or lack of it this coming year on the field. I am hopeful.

#2038426 - 02/08/19 08:32 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: track]
Wilt Chamberlain

I trust your evaluations more than some of the services but for whatever reason our class is ranked right in the middle of the 4 Beaty classes. Beaty classes ranked between 60-75 nationally and the current class is 65th. With a big time coach and a new indoor facility I would hope next year we get in the 30s or 40s nationally. ...but I suppose a lot will depend on our success or lack of it this coming year on the field. I am hopeful.
Beaty's problem wasn't recruiting.

In fairness to him we probably had a dozen and a half guys not count toward any of his classes because of how Rivals and the others treat blueshirts and grayshirts (i.e. don't count them).

As far as the class we just signed, I think they're a little underrated and should be 10 to 15 spots higher, but that's just me.

I think the more telling thing is how we flipped several guys late in the game. ksu and Tech went really hard after Potter in the last few weeks, but he chose KU (flipping from ksu officially). Okie Lite tried to get him late also. Many in the DFW area assumed Parker was gonna stick with TTech, but he flipped to KU. Similar for Gardner. Harbaugh screwed around quite a bit with Hickson but still made an in home visit with him just a few weeks ago so you know he still wanted him, but he flipped to KU. I think those recruitments in particular show what this staff is capable of in the recruiting game. These guys did all that in just a few short weeks of recruiting too.

A lot of guys were off the board by the early signing period when we still didn't have a full coaching staff and Miles had only been on the job for a couple weeks himself, otherwise I think this staff would have flipped several others.

We'll see how these upcoming Junior Days go and start hearing feedback from some of these top 2020 recruits to gauge how well this staff can recruit under more normal circumstances.

#2038450 - 02/08/19 06:59 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Topeka
Tyler Stottle 6'1/185 LB from Shawnee Mission East announced as a PWO to play at KU

#2038488 - 02/09/19 02:37 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
DrGreydog Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Topeka
DB Justin Ford has pulled the plug and announced he is transfering in May.

#2038489 - 02/09/19 03:18 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
DB Justin Ford has pulled the plug and announced he is transfering in May.

Can’t find his name anywhere on the roster. His listed weight as a recruit was 152 pounds at 6’2”. ... seems pretty slight of build. Wonder if he was nudged out.

#2038503 - 02/09/19 08:47 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Was wondering the same. Did Les sign too many and "suggest" Ford transfer? Anyone know the numbers?

#2038510 - 02/10/19 08:37 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: vmlb]
Wilt Chamberlain

Ford transferring out come the end of the spring semester and not currently part of the team.

Not sure about if his scholarship was able to be given to someone else, but it sounds like the K we signed may be getting it come summer semester.

#2038511 - 02/10/19 09:18 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The demands of playing D1 level are much different than small school, lower level etc. I expect Ford came to realize he had no chance of surviving vs the size and speed he would have to face every down. No chance.

#2038514 - 02/10/19 09:51 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: appyhawk
The demands of playing D1 level are much different than small school, lower level etc. I expect Ford came to realize he had no chance of surviving vs the size and speed he would have to face every down. No chance.
It's a kid's most important long term life choice. His choice involves SO many factors. Good luck, kid! Even if he goes to Washburn, they have some great career building opportunities. I never regretted going to University of Kansas.

#2038530 - 02/10/19 08:15 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Steven Parker did well against a big guy around 300ibs.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9912475/5ba6f96b6e8ba90b84512379

#2038535 - 02/10/19 10:30 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
appyhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Parker is a nice example of exactly what you want to see in an edge rusher. I wouldn't be surprised he lost sight of 152 lbs before he hit jr high. Good size, good speed. Looks like a good pickup.
Kind of interesting how many of his highights are plays he made while being completely unaccounted for by the defense. A little chip by a RB just isn't good enough to stop this guy. Not dissing him, just seems like you (defense) would take pains to account for a guy who is making big play after big play, often for huge loss. Anxious to see him do the same for us.

Page 32 of 34 < 1 2 ... 30 31 32 33 34 >

Preview