Page 31 of 34 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2038377 - 02/06/19 11:26 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Still puzzled why we didn't even pick up 1 OL. It's not like we are talented at that position.

The roster lists 19 returning OL players and 5 are seniors so we should be fine.

#2038378 - 02/07/19 12:06 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: 58hawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Still puzzled why we didn't even pick up 1 OL. It's not like we are talented at that position.
As others have pointed out, we've got a lot of returning OL as well as several OL guys who redshirted last year coming into the mix. The OL played better last year than they have in several years here, maybe even the best out of the last 10 years or so. Not that they were stellar or where we (all of us KU fans) would like them to be, but they were good enough for us to have won several more games last year. I think that all gave coach Miles some cushion to address other needs this 1st class under his regime.

I think last year's OL was better in large part because of better coaching than it had previously but also in part because of more depth. I think we've got a real good OL coach this year and that should help out their play quite a bit still.

Also during his presser coach Miles said they would be hitting the OL hard for the 2020 class so it's going to be an emphasis for the next class.

#2038379 - 02/07/19 12:11 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
I think we gotta hand it to the new staff for what would seem to be, under the circumstances, a stellar recruiting class.

Great news (icing on the cake) for the new kicker!
Potter seems like a whole lotta fun. Can hardly wait to see all these new guys on the field.
Don't forget about our PWO K who many consider the best in the KC/Western MO/Eastern KS area. I think we've got some good competition at that position.

I agree Potter is gonna be a whole lot of fun to watch! This kid has a personality to him and is a little bit nuts (in a good way!)! LOL He's tenacious and relentless on the field too! It also doesn't hurt that he's a 2 time state champion wrestler in Oklahoma either. Really looking forward to see what he does for us.

#2038380 - 02/07/19 12:12 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: AlOerter]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: AlOerter
Found that interesting too about the OL. Possible to flip a couple of those more massive 2 star DL's to OL. I don't know off hand what we have returning up front.
Coaches don't have any plans on flipping anyone from the DL to OL in this group right now.

#2038381 - 02/07/19 12:13 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: DrGreydog]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: DrGreydog
With the 2019 recruiting class in the books...

it seems 2020 offers are going out. I imagine there will be some OL offers in the mix.
Yep, they've already sent out several and coach Miles said that's a top priority for them in the 2020 class.

#2038382 - 02/07/19 12:27 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
Coach said he would have liked to but there were more pressing needs and he felt like he could get by for a year. Like others have mentioned I still don't feel good about the QB position. I love the fact KU got so many high school kids and it looks like they got some talent to boot! Great day for KU football!
I don't feel highly confident in the QB position either, but I don't feel real bad about too.

I think it looks better than it has since Weis ran Webb off and we had Crist, who was a lot better than given credit for. We just had horrible OL play at the time which made Crist look a lot worse than he was because he wasn't mobile enough to deal with that.

Bad OL play has hurt our QB performance quite a bit over the past 10 years in general. I think we've got a better OL now (not great, but good enough IMHO) and we've got a lot more athletic and mobile QB's now too. Between MacVittie, Kendrick, Medley, Locklin, Stanley, Fallin, and Maples I think we're going to be OK.

I think Kendrick is the best returner and didn't really have a chance to show what he can do last year because of injury and misuse, and MacVittie looks good in his videos. Coach Miles seems to have a lot of confidence in MacVittie and said he started recruiting him back when he was still at LSU and MacVittie was only a Freshman in HS! Medley is real interesting. He looks like he's got a decent arm, but man is that kid athletic and fast!

I still hope they go after a top tier QB or 2 in the 2020 class as I think we'll need it after this year especially.

#2038383 - 02/07/19 12:29 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Topcitykid10
Man, soo close to meeting the infamous Kman blue! Ha

Waiting on Potter to announce, any second now
FYP lol

How was it being there in person?? Very jealous! haha

This ice thunderstorm we're having didn't help my cause out any along with work I had to get done. I'd probably be stuck in Lawrence overnight if I had made it, which wouldn't be a bad thing except for my work.

#2038384 - 02/07/19 12:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: 66227
There's a lot to like about this class, especially considering the deficit a new staff starts with. We even got a kicker from Westerville OH! That sounds like the early 90s when Chip Hilleary and Monte Cozzens were starring for KU, Good karma.

#2038386 - 02/07/19 02:04 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: PbBut]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: PbBut
There's a lot to like about this class, especially considering the deficit a new staff starts with. We even got a kicker from Westerville OH! That sounds like the early 90s when Chip Hilleary and Monte Cozzens were starring for KU, Good karma.
Forgot all about those 2 guys coming from that area. Good catch!

I think Monte actually currently lives in Westerville.

I agree, I really like this class. Then again, I usually do end up liking most KU recruiting classes simply because they're KU's recruiting class. LOL

There's a lot more good quality meat and potato type guys in this class though. Several under the radar DL/LB/Athlete type guys. They're mostly not undersized project type guys like we've gotten in the past (though we do look to have a couple of those too) but rather guys already with the size and talent who are just raw or new to the game and thus overlooked by many. These guys have a different vibe to them IMHO than the lesser heralded/rated guys we've gotten before. Terry, Medley, and Harris are perfect examples of what I mean here.

We also got some just really solid football players. I mean guys who may have been getting some recruiting attention, but not as much as others. Guys who may not have top level raw talent but guys who just look like they know how to play the game and play it well. Potter, Pesek-Hickson, and Fairchild are examples of what I'm talking about here.

There don't look to be any really questionable guys in this class. Not saying it looks like a top tier class for us, but rather a solid class which is impressive given the limited time coach Miles and company had to recruit. I think they got about the best class we could have in the circumstances.

Hopefully the 2020 class and beyond turn out to be top tier classes and I mean top 30 or better nationally, but if they all turn out to be just as solid as this one I won't be too upset. That's because I believe in the coaching abilities of our coaches and more importantly the talent evaluation abilities (in terms of who should start, and at what position etc., not necessarily what prospect has more talent and hence should get a scholarship offer) of these coaches.

#2038387 - 02/07/19 02:15 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I guess I should add, I heard late today that KU got all of the top 5 targets on our recruiting board as well as almost all of the top 10. That's a hell of a thing if true! Not many schools outside the top blue bloods are able to do that!

Hope it doesn't mean we aimed too low, but rather we aimed high and got them! ha!

#2038388 - 02/07/19 02:24 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: appyhawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: appyhawk
Potter seems like a whole lotta fun. Can hardly wait to see all these new guys on the field.
Just to add more to Potter's commitment.

Here's a link to a video of the coaches reaction when they got the text from Potter that he's coming to KU. It was posted by coach Eliot on twitter.

During his presser coach Miles also mentioned getting Potter on board was really important to this class, so it looks like not only us fans think Potter is gonna be fun to watch.

His commitment event even got some national pub.
USA Today's story on Potter's commitment

They call it "The wildest commitment of the day". LOL

Forgot to add, I read in the local OK newspaper article about it all that Potter didn't have any T-shirts for any of the schools involved so he borrowed the ksu sweatshirt from a girl he knew who had one and made the TTech shirt himself and then his buddy painted the KU on his chest and "Jayhawk 12" on his back from supplies they bought at the store that morning.

He was also quoted saying that he picked KU in part because winners win and coach Miles is a winner and so is he (Potter).

This kid is the man and he hasn't even set foot on campus yet! haha

And on a side note, is all this thunder and lightning keeping anyone else awake?

Edited by Kman_blue (02/07/19 02:36 AM)

#2038400 - 02/07/19 03:54 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Maximus Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Trance Land
Potter has a chip on his shoulder for OU and OSU not offering.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7765824/5b8c381cdfe3470b44ce20ca

#2038410 - 02/07/19 07:48 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Was watching Midco Sports replay of national signing day special. Interviews with coaches were impressive. Solid group of youth and experience Miles has put together. These guys all seem to be genuinely excited to be here and to be a part of building something special with coach Miles. Can't remember this kind of buzz for KU football.

Rock Chalk!!!!

#2038412 - 02/07/19 09:21 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: AlOerter]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
I love that everyone is excited about Miles and the new recruits...BUT....if the ranking services know anything this years class is nothing special....ranks next to last in the Big 12 and behind KSU who also has a new staff. I understand it's not as big as some of the classes but it's only one or two less than many schools that are ranked higher.
Next year will be the real test for Miles. Can we finally out recruit Ksu and Iowa state and baylor and Osu and TCU....cause that's what we are going to have to do if we intend on competing with the upper half of the conference.

#2038413 - 02/07/19 10:13 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2019 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Short time to assemble a staff and beat the bushes for a program with no recent success and normally at the bottom of the rankings. Klieman had a head start at KSU because of their program's reputation. Our program rep is a hindrance to recruiting.

This is a win for KU football. But as always, we will see what they look like on the field. I've got a suspicion that talent evaluation and development have taken a major step forward.

Page 31 of 34 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 >

Preview