Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027279 - 02/03/18 04:36 PM Huh?
Jman1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Defense: C-
After the loss, KU coach Bill Self said the team's first-shot defense was decent. Unfortunately for the Jayhawks, when you give back nearly half of the 30 shots the opponent misses, that's not going to show up in the box score. Beyond that, Kansas could not find a way to get the late stop it needed, allowing OSU to shoot 51.6 percent from the floor for the game and 44.4 percent from 3-point range.

Interesting that you would give them a passing grade if you actually watched the game. D- would be appropriate, IMO. I will not agree with Self that first shot defense was decent; that is coach talk. it was much better in the 2H but still bordering on reprehensible(or as 2004 would like to put it, "DEPLORABLE", like the rest of people).

#2027281 - 02/03/18 04:51 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
Anytime we lose at home, that should be an automatice D grade unless we are playing a top 10 team. It seems to me that we to often are playing down or up to our competition. This has been a scenario for most of Self and his career here. Rarely do we come out and blow teams away that on paper we should. Rarely.

We gave one back today, because we stole one against WVU. So I guess that overall, we are where most thought we woud be after we lost to Texas Tech at home. Losing now to TExas Tech, Ou, and now Oklahoma St.

#2027282 - 02/03/18 05:01 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Not enough players on this team have the heart or determination to carry on the tradition of winning the Big 12. To many transfers and OAD's have lead to that.

#2027283 - 02/03/18 05:13 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Question our leadership from our Seniors. I question that more than heart.

#2027284 - 02/03/18 05:15 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

We seem to never have that killer instinct either. We make some games so much tougher than we should.

Self and Co have often lost some games that we shouldn't have. I don't know if thats a fair statement or not, but seems to me that we lose a few games each season or so, that just are baffling.

#2027292 - 02/03/18 08:31 PM Re: Huh? [Re: INation]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Originally Posted By: INation
Not enough players on this team have the heart or determination to carry on the tradition of winning the Big 12. To many transfers and OAD's have lead to that.

Is this idiot ^^^^^^^^for real. There isnt a OAD in our starting 5. Nor a true transfer outside of Newman. I am sure they have heart...its talent ..depth...and athleticism that this team lacks.

#2027296 - 02/03/18 08:58 PM Re: Huh? [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
+1.

This team NEEDS a one and done impact player like Josh Jackson or Joel Embiid.

Somebody like Billy Preston.

#2027297 - 02/03/18 09:50 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

After what I have watched thus far this season, if Graham and Svi are not hitting or playing at a high level, we will lose some games against average Big 12 teams.
Newman has to be an option, and Vick has got to up his game. The way I see it, Garrett and Cunliffe couldn't possibly play any worse than Vick has since Big 12 play started. Some players do better coming off the bench, and maybe Vick is one of those guys. Last year he was an energy guy off the bench.

#2027298 - 02/03/18 09:54 PM Re: Huh? [Re: Jman1]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I posted this earlier, but what really concerns me is our lack of basketball IQ. I can't believe with our talent level, we lack of so much knowledge and common basketball IQ. Its unforced errors that really cost the team on both ends.

With a limited bench, zone defense seems to work sometimes, but Self just can't let that be. Of all the criticism of Self, his lack of adjustments is a glaring one. If zone works, use it. If your team lacks depth, its ok to play more zone. His teams for the last few years have lacked lock down defenders across the board.

Preview