Page 26 of 29 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2027176 - 02/02/18 09:49 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Happy Birthday PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Whoopity doo. A book about a team that has a record streak in a somewhat mediocre conference. Somewhat impressive but i won't rush out to buy that book anytime soon. Win a few more National Championships and then I will buy a book.

#2027178 - 02/02/18 10:08 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Whoopity doo. A book about a team that has a record streak in a somewhat mediocre conference. Somewhat impressive but i won't rush out to buy that book anytime soon. Win a few more National Championships and then I will buy a book.

Well my phoggy friend, each to their own opinion. You can "whoopity doo" all you want but many sports writers, coaches, and fans think that it is quite an accomplishment. Most that I've read or heard place it above the UCLA 13 streak as the competition has been stronger against KU. Get that sour look off of your face, stop and smell the roses once in a while and enjoy something that will go down in history, especially if we can pull off # 14.

#2027179 - 02/02/18 10:29 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Sure it is an accomplishment..I just don't think the B12 is very good. Thus thats why KU dominates but yet they don't fare as well as many think they should in the post season. KU would never win 13 straight in the B10 or ACC...or even the SEC. But it is or will be a record so congratulations will be in order..But if they indeed get it and lose in a S16 game I will consider the season as a whole disappointing..

I mean the Braves won over 10 straight division championships in baseball but none of their fans made a big deal out of it. Thats because they only squeezed one World Series title out of it. So just call me a bad fan for not making a big deal of the streak as others. But again it is impressive and the only team capable of doing it again would of course be old KU. Unless moved to the B10 of course..lol

#2027211 - 02/02/18 04:55 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Could'a, would'a, should'a Ku won 13 straight in another major conference, we'll never know. These past 13 years can never be replicated. I think those questions are moot anyway.

What we do know is that in recent years in NO other conference does any team play every team every year. You don't always play all of the best teams in the conference. In the Big 12 not only does this happen, but we play every team twice and one of those games is always an away game. That makes the schedule much more difficult than in other conferences. In the Big 12 the teams get to know each other much better. In addition, it is the goal of EVERY Big 12 team to beat KU. They get themselves up for the KU games. This means KU most likely get every team's best shot, especially at our opponent's house.

I think that the Big 12 is one of the better basketball conferences. But that is actually a moot question. Whether they are or aren't doesn't really make much difference. In light of what I've given as facts makes the Big 12 a much more difficult conference to consistently win championships. But KU does and that makes the 13 an incredibly wonderful exciting and difficult achievement. I, for one, am very proud of what they have accomplished and will be even more proud if they can add # 14 to the total.

#2027223 - 02/02/18 07:41 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Ok...make a big corn/wheat field that shows KU winning #14 from above....lol...that might make Aerial America n the Smithsonian Channel...or not.

#2027255 - 02/03/18 12:56 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Nebraska
The streak meant more early on to me than now. Back when the Big 12 was loaded with more talented teams. In the recent years this conference has not been as talented. Do we win with talent or coaching? Loaded question, I know. We out talent most teams on most nights. Yes, Self recruited this talent, and Self does coach this talent, but its easier to win when your teams are more talented 1-8 than the others. If KU wins the conference title this season, I will give most of the credit to Self, and this would be one of his better coaching jobs ever.

Now with saying that about the conference title streak, I do think Self is a great coach. I also think that he is ovverated when it comes to the Tourney.

#2029531 - 04/01/18 08:54 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jaycat92]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I believe this season has underscored the truth of the title of this post: Self -- A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach.

This was a team that over achieved. Winning the 14th and the conference tourney certainly shows that Self is a top notch season coach. At the same time getting THIS team to the Final Four shows that he is a top notch tourney coach. Many have knocked him for not getting to the Final Four since 2012. He did that this year with a team that he probably shouldn't have. This satisfies me that he's a top notch tourney coach. When we look back at this season, folks are going to realize that Self overcame a lot of setbacks team wise as well as the NCAA officials. Now, on to next year.

By the way, the sun came up this morning! grin

#2029571 - 04/02/18 04:38 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

This timeless conversation we have each season once our tourney time has ended.............love it.

There about 15 coaches who have more than one title. Those coaches should rank as all time greats.

Then there are numerous one hit wonders. Those should be ranked on Final 4 appearances. Self is in the middle of the pack.

#2029572 - 04/02/18 05:06 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jaycat92]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
This timeless conversation we have each season once our tourney time has ended.............love it.

There about 15 coaches who have more than one title. Those coaches should rank as all time greats.

Then there are numerous one hit wonders. Those should be ranked on Final 4 appearances. Self is in the middle of the pack.

Let's be clear...so no one confuses your middle of the pack statement.. Among major college coaches Self is not Middle of the pack.....he is middle of the pack among the elites. Personally I believe ku is at a significant disadvantages compared to schools like Duke and North carolina. Geographically alone they have a big advantage....closer to high population centers where the best athletes live and better climate.... It's not like Kansas is a hot bed for college bball talent for those kids whose parents would like to watch them play in person.

Edited by track (04/02/18 05:08 PM)

#2029575 - 04/02/18 05:42 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Sorry track but Self is a top five HOF coach still coaching.

#2029576 - 04/02/18 05:43 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

It’s a hot bed for bbl talent to land.

#2029584 - 04/02/18 06:40 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Historically speaking 35 coaches have won one National title. Currently 13 have more than one. Jay Wright tonight could make that list 14.

Historically, Self is in the Top 50, by the numbers.

Today, I would consider Self as in the Top 6 currently speaking.

#2029585 - 04/02/18 06:55 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jaycat92]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jaycat92
Historically speaking 35 coaches have won one National title. Currently 13 have more than one. Jay Wright tonight could make that list 14.

Historically, Self is in the Top 50, by the numbers.

Today, I would consider Self as in the Top 6 currently speaking.
I know you would you loser troll.

There’s no “numbers” facts to be accurate. Only your trolling comments b/c you have no better team to hang with. Troll

Rick Patino has 2 so THEREFORE better than Self! You troll...

#2029586 - 04/02/18 07:09 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Self is a HOF coach...Jay Wright is not...nuff said...Wright 13th yr at Nova...2 F4s...2 Championship Games...1 Title...All but 2 other times round of 32 flameouts..no qualifying twice for the tourney. Self always qualifies...6 Elite 8s..3 Final 4s..1 title..Better than gay Jay. Oh and the beatdown Bill will give him at AFH next Dec 15th...not by 16...more like 25...stfu Jay.

Edited by PHOGUSHER (04/02/18 07:10 PM)

#2029587 - 04/02/18 07:19 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Jaycat92 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Pitino has 2 NC, took 3 different teams to Final 4. Won a title at two different schools. I don't know.....is he a better coach?

Page 26 of 29 < 1 2 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 >

Preview