Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2026339 - 01/15/18 03:12 PM DSLR Photography
mushhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: State, Country
I thought this might be an interesting topic.
Does anyone else on here have a DSLR camera?
If so, what model do you have an what accessories/lenses do you have?

I just recently got into DSLR photography as a hobby. I always had a point and shoot camera of some kind since I was a kid. I had a 110 film camera as a 10 year old. I had a Sony Cybershot digital point and shoot camera most recently. I always thought it would be cool to step up to a more professional SLR/DSLR camera.

About 7 months ago, I found a 24 year old Minolta Maxxum 35mm film SLR camera in a pawn shop for $15. It had a flash that came with it, but the flash started smoking when I put batteries in it, so I quickly discarded the flash attachment. The camera worked well, other than the autofocus motor being faulty. I just had to focus manually with the focus ring on the lens. I considered getting the auto focus fixed for $45 but figured that old camera wasn't worth much of an investment. It was a pain to have to buy film and pay $10 to develop rolls of film, but it was a good cheap way to dip my toe in the water and learn how to use an SLR camera. I got some good shots and learned a bit about how to adjust aperture, ISO, shutter speed, etc...

After playing around with that for about a month, I decided to step up to a newer digital SLR. I found a Canon EOS Rebel on ebay that was about 8 years old, but was in mint condition. The guy selling it was selling off some items from his former uncle's estate and sold it to me for really cheap.
It came with an 18-55mm zoom lens. I also recently bought a 50mm Canon lens that has a 1.8 aperture and is better for low light.
It's a fun hobby but you can spend a LOT of money really quickly. My 50mm lens was cheap, but you can drop a couple thousand on one lens alone.

I was curious what hardware some of you might have.
Mine is the Canon EOS Rebel XS DSLR. I'd like to upgrade in the future to either a full frame DSLR like the Canon 5D or a higher end cropped sensor DSLR like the Canon 7D. I'd also like to get a good zoom lens and a better every day lens in the future. Lenses can get pretty expensive really quickly though.
Do any of you guys also enjoy this hobby? If so, what hardware do you have?

(...and no, it doesn't shoot 1080p video...) wink

#2026344 - 01/15/18 04:48 PM Re: DSLR Photography [Re: mushhawk]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Nm...smh...

Edited by PHOGUSHER (01/15/18 06:17 PM)

#2026374 - 01/16/18 03:22 AM Re: DSLR Photography [Re: PHOGUSHER]
mushhawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: State, Country
Maybe I should ask Jeff Jacobson to give his 2 cents. I know he used a Canon EOS-1D Mark II N to take a picture of "The Shot" in 2008. (according to the info listed on the shot data)

Maybe he or the other KUSports and LJW photographers might have some feedback for this forum??

Preview