Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2025963 - 01/08/18 11:49 AM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Baldwin did himself in for similar reasons that he got kicked off Alabama's team, but the Charlot deal still kind of pisses me off. I don't think he did anything to get into the doghouse as I never heard anyone even hint that that was the case, I think they just didn't and don't know how to use him properly. He apparently doesn't run great routes (per reports from practice) and doesn't seem to get separation from DB's, but with his amazing strength, concentration, and balance 75% of the balls thrown within his catch radius despite if the DB is all over him or not are gonna be catches IMHO.

If nothing else he'd be an invaluable possession type WR. He doesn't need to get much separation from the DB's to make catches. I think he's talented enough they need to find a spot for him in the rotation and keep drilling his route running skills while letting him get some playing time. I think his talent alone would have overcome most mistakes he would have been making and learning in real game situations would have helped his development more IMHO.

As for the handshake crap, it was much overblown. Stupid stunt dealt with internally that nobody outside of a handful of fans and others who want to use it to bash Beaty with remembers.

If he can't get separation from the DBs and doesn't run good routes he is not a "talented" receiver.

#2025967 - 01/08/18 01:12 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: vmlb]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Originally Posted By: vmlb
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Baldwin did himself in for similar reasons that he got kicked off Alabama's team, but the Charlot deal still kind of pisses me off. I don't think he did anything to get into the doghouse as I never heard anyone even hint that that was the case, I think they just didn't and don't know how to use him properly. He apparently doesn't run great routes (per reports from practice) and doesn't seem to get separation from DB's, but with his amazing strength, concentration, and balance 75% of the balls thrown within his catch radius despite if the DB is all over him or not are gonna be catches IMHO.

If nothing else he'd be an invaluable possession type WR. He doesn't need to get much separation from the DB's to make catches. I think he's talented enough they need to find a spot for him in the rotation and keep drilling his route running skills while letting him get some playing time. I think his talent alone would have overcome most mistakes he would have been making and learning in real game situations would have helped his development more IMHO.

As for the handshake crap, it was much overblown. Stupid stunt dealt with internally that nobody outside of a handful of fans and others who want to use it to bash Beaty with remembers.

If he can't get separation from the DBs and doesn't run good routes he is not a "talented" receiver.

None of KUs receivers are getting great separation and KU was aweful on third down. If he can catch the ball in traffic I would think the staff would find some use for him.

#2025971 - 01/08/18 01:37 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Outside of Sims, the other dudes never really wowed.

Many of our catches were fly route jumpballs and bubble screens. You don't need much route running ability to run straight or step backwards.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2025979 - 01/08/18 02:23 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: dgless21
Tyler Patrick was someone who came to mind

#2025981 - 01/08/18 02:29 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

He caught the ball nine times. He had one big play all season.

What exactly "wows" about that?

#2025982 - 01/08/18 02:33 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

He caught the ball nine times. He had one big play all season.

What exactly "wows" about that?
What other players do you want to dump on? His stats aren't "Alabama great" but by Beaty standards, it's worth $800K annually to start out, with additional $100K dumped on it annually. All better for you now?

#2025984 - 01/08/18 02:46 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I asked a simple question based on his stats. What wows you about his performance?

Your reading comprehension skills are truly top notch.

#2025990 - 01/08/18 03:48 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I asked a simple question based on his stats. What wows you about his performance...
He isn't particularly fast, but he can look good catching it, if he can reach it. One of my favorites on this team for 2017. I can't think of how to slant this post to be anti-Beaty, so no Beaty beatdown on here.

"Outside of Sims, the other dudes never really wowed" does NOT mention "based on his stats", Mr. Literal.

#2025995 - 01/08/18 04:21 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I truly don't understand how "isn't particularly fast" and "can look good catching it" are criteria for "wow." I'm not particularly fast and can look good catching it.

Considering that "wow" as a verb means "to impress or excite someone greatly," I reiterate that I was not "wowed" by any other wide receiver than Sims.

#2025996 - 01/08/18 04:29 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

Many of our catches were fly route jumpballs and bubble screens. You don't need much route running ability to run straight or step backwards.

Please refrain from using the word "dude"! Beaty has just about killed the term these past 3 years. crazy

That said, you nailed Beaty's offense in two sentences! laugh

#2025997 - 01/08/18 04:33 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I truly don't understand how "isn't particularly fast" and "can look good catching it" are criteria for "wow." I'm not particularly fast and can look good catching it.

Considering that "wow" as a verb means "to impress or excite someone greatly," I reiterate that I was not "wowed" by any other wide receiver than Sims.

Pretty damn hard to find ANYTHING to say "wow" about off a 1-11 squad and a 3-33 coach. Personally I was "wowed" by both Zenger and DB retaining their jobs.

But why stop at receivers? The O-line wasn't a "wow"...QB was never a "wow", the defense had a few moments, but very few actual "wows". Special teams? More like Special Ed than "wow".

#2025999 - 01/08/18 04:54 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I limited it to wide receivers simply because the context above my post was about Daylon Charlot not getting separation or running good routes. You could say that about most of our WRs based on the results.

Considering how bad we've been since Zenger arrived and the inaction to make any real efforts to improve it, I'm not overly surprised about most of those things. We made a huge reach for a head coach for a place that is difficult to win at. Zenger being retained is deeply disappointing, but it doesn't wow me. I fully expected Beaty to remain if Zenger was retained.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised by Rui, and I already mentioned Sims. Herbert, Dineen, and Wise stood out at times too. The position groups were too inconsistent week to week to really be impressed by the performances.

#2026000 - 01/08/18 05:12 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: dgless21]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

You know, it is pretty sad when fans can only toss out a half dozen names off of an 85 man roster as decent players. Fact is that is the state of Kansas football, not a single bright and shining star in the bunch.....Not a single Charles Gordon or Nick Reid that could play for anyone else. In some of a dark times of the past, we always had a few truly bright lights.....if nothing else we had Bucky Scribner keeping us in games when neither the offense or defense could.

Long gone are the days of having Steve Towel, Don Goode, Terry Beason, Mike Butler, Nolan Cromwell, Del Williams, Emmett Edwards, Bruce Adams, Laverne Smith, Robert Miller, Dave Jaynes and Billy Campfield all on the same squad. Who knew that five decades later we would never see their likes again?

#2026002 - 01/08/18 05:31 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: beenahawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
You know, it is pretty sad when fans can only toss out a half dozen names off of an 85 man roster as decent players. Fact is that is the state of Kansas football, not a single bright and shining star in the bunch.....Not a single Charles Gordon or Nick Reid that could play for anyone else. In some of a dark times of the past, we always had a few truly bright lights.....if nothing else we had Bucky Scribner keeping us in games when neither the offense or defense could.

Long gone are the days of having Steve Towel, Don Goode, Terry Beason, Mike Butler, Nolan Cromwell, Del Williams, Emmett Edwards, Bruce Adams, Laverne Smith, Robert Miller, Dave Jaynes and Billy Campfield all on the same squad. Who knew that five decades later we would never see their likes again?
Long gone are the days of Kansas recruiting HS local talent who dreamed of playing for Kansas pride.

The Mangino era of Talib and Harris seems unlikely ever again.

#2026004 - 01/08/18 05:40 PM Re: Alabamanimals vs Louisianimals [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Originally Posted By: beenahawk

Long gone are the days of Kansas recruiting HS local talent who dreamed of playing for Kansas pride.

The Mangino era of Talib and Harris seems unlikely ever again.
There is not enough local high school talent to field a team except for Bledsoe. And Talib and Harris are not local.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview