Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2025634 - 12/29/17 04:18 PM Pass Interference
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I have seen several bad or missed pass interference calls this season. The NCAA needs to make pass interference a call that can be reviewed if the penalty is called or if the penalty is not called but video shows it probably occurred. With camera coverage so good for college football there is very good video evidence of whether pass interference happened. I do not see why the video evidence would not be used so pass interference is called with accuracy.

Edited by pizzanbeer (12/29/17 04:19 PM)

#2025651 - 12/30/17 07:01 AM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
madcapper Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Ozarks
Yeah, let's make the game 4 hours or longer.

#2025663 - 12/30/17 01:07 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
I have seen several bad or missed pass interference calls this season. The NCAA needs to make pass interference a call that can be reviewed if the penalty is called or if the penalty is not called but video shows it probably occurred. With camera coverage so good for college football there is very good video evidence of whether pass interference happened. I do not see why the video evidence would not be used so pass interference is called with accuracy.
If we only need to make sure gamblers are kept whole by reviewing every play, it makes sense. But for entertainment value, it doesn't make sense to review each play. Who would televise these marathons of reviews?

#2025665 - 12/30/17 02:20 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: madcapper]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: 23rd Street Brewery
Originally Posted By: madcapper
Yeah, let's make the game 4 hours or longer.

+1. I'd prefer they switch to rec rules and say defense calls it before we add more reason to let refs slow the game down.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2025667 - 12/30/17 03:45 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I don't like long games either, but these bad calls are game changing. They usually are blatantly bad calls on video so the review should be quick. I believe it would clean up the games some because the DBs and WRs would know they are subject to video review. When they know they can't get away with PI as much without getting a serious penalty, then it will force them to play more often within the rules.

I also would change the PI penalty from 15 yards to the spot of the foul. Then the DB could not just drag down the WR on long passes and take the 15 yard penalty rather than risk a TD when he thinks he is getting beat by the WR.

There was a perfect example of a missed PI call in the Texas A&M vs Wake Forest bowl game yesterday where the WF DB pulled down the A&M WR with the ball in the air. WF was up by 3 points at the time with about 45 seconds left in the game.

https://twitter.com/KAGS_Colin/status/946867508430204929

Edited by pizzanbeer (12/30/17 07:49 PM)

#2025671 - 12/31/17 12:11 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
The NFL is becoming unwatchable w/ these long games. I spend half the time in Memorial twiddling my thumbs. I'd rather go back to the days of on the field calls.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2025672 - 12/31/17 01:01 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

The games are already ridiculous to watch.

Plus, if you add review for pass interference, it becomes a slippery slope because someone will want every other penalty reviewed.

#2025675 - 12/31/17 07:53 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: dgless21
The games are already ridiculous to watch.

Plus, if you add review for pass interference, it becomes a slippery slope because someone will want every other penalty reviewed.

I watch a lot of college football and the obvious missed penalties that impact the outcome of games that are clearly visible on video are the PI calls. That is why I do not believe the slippery slope argument is valid. The missed PI calls are not like other missed calls because of how obvious they are on video and because of how big their impact is on the outcome of the game.

I agree that football games last too long but if you do not use video review for PI then the games are not fair. Football needs to embrace technology to improve the quality of the game or go the way of the dinosaur.

Average attendance for college football is decreasing so it is time to fix some of the reasons for that and the games being too long is one of the reasons. They either need to let the clock run after 1st downs to shorten the length of games or just go from 15 minute quarters to 10 minute quarters.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...st-in-14-years/

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/how-long-is-too-long-a-college-football-game/

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...erage-game-2016

Edited by pizzanbeer (12/31/17 08:53 PM)

#2025677 - 12/31/17 11:25 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
I agree that football games last too long but if you do not use video review for PI then the games are not fair. Football needs to embrace technology to improve the quality of the game or go the way of the dinosaur.

No other sport embraces technology more than football. Basketball has limited reviews. Baseball has limited reviews. Tennis has limited reviews. Hockey has limited reviews. None have as many reviews that kill momentum and drag the game on like football.

#2025679 - 01/01/18 06:49 AM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
madcapper Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Ozarks
Maybe why attendance is decreasing in football is due to games taking so much longer.

#2025681 - 01/01/18 10:05 AM Re: Pass Interference [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Or people leaving games early

#2025683 - 01/01/18 10:39 AM Re: Pass Interference [Re: madcapper]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Maybe why attendance is decreasing in football is due to games taking so much longer.
"Or people leaving games early" - 58 quote.

If someone leaves a game early, he still counts as part of the attendance count. Just thought you might not know that, 58.

#2025694 - 01/01/18 04:01 PM Re: Pass Interference [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
"Or people leaving games early" - 58 quote.

If someone leaves a game early, he still counts as part of the attendance count. Just thought you might not know that, 58.
Thanks for clarifying that d-bag.

Preview