Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2024578 - 12/07/17 03:34 PM Congratulations to Joe Dineen!
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Joe Dineen earned 2nd team All-America honors from Sports Illustrated!

Sports Illustrated All-America Teams

Pretty damn impressive. I think this may be our first guy to garner All-America status from any major source since 2009 or so.

#2024580 - 12/07/17 03:46 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
It tells you that there is talent on this squad. What it will take to have it realized in games is beyond my comprehension and faith with this "coaching" staff.

RCJHKU!

#2024581 - 12/07/17 03:55 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
jhawkblue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Im happy for Joe Dineen his effort showed really showed this year, but in no way is he one of the top Lbs in the country his tackle numbers were a product of his effort yes, but mostly a product of the failure of the def as a whole to be able to get off the field on third down and the offenses inability to sustain any drive

our def played more plays than almost any other team in the country so yes someone is going to have a lot of tackles

Dineen was by far the best player on our def, but not one of the top in the country he would not be on 1st or 2nd string on the top defenses in the country

#2024589 - 12/07/17 04:49 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: jhawkblue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: jhawkblue
Im happy for Joe Dineen his effort showed really showed this year, but in no way is he one of the top Lbs in the country his tackle numbers were a product of his effort yes, but mostly a product of the failure of the def as a whole to be able to get off the field on third down and the offenses inability to sustain any drive

our def played more plays than almost any other team in the country so yes someone is going to have a lot of tackles

Dineen was by far the best player on our def, but not one of the top in the country he would not be on 1st or 2nd string on the top defenses in the country
+1

#2024599 - 12/07/17 06:04 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
WayOldHawk Offline
Baby Jay

JD has another year and I think he'll soon have a degree. Seems like a perfect time to get away from this mess and see what he's really got by moving on to a school that both needs him and cares enough puts something representing FBS football on the field.

#2024600 - 12/07/17 06:10 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: WayOldHawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: WayOldHawk
JD has another year and I think he'll soon have a degree. Seems like a perfect time to get away from this mess and see what he's really got by moving on to a school that both needs him and cares enough puts something representing FBS football on the field.
No way in hell Dineen even briefly considers transferring.

#2024602 - 12/07/17 06:44 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Jesus. Some good news and people have to piss on it.

#2024606 - 12/07/17 09:38 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: jhawkblue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita

+1

I hate to agree but I think he is just nice player on a bad team. He is no Ben Heeney and I don't recall Ben receiving similar accolades.

#2024608 - 12/07/17 10:14 PM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

So, you're saying fellow Big 12 coaches and Sports Illustrated don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to college football?

Kind of an outlandish point of view IMHO.

#2024614 - 12/08/17 03:06 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
jhawkblue Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
So, you're saying fellow Big 12 coaches and Sports Illustrated don't know what the hell they're talking about when it comes to college football?

Kind of an outlandish point of view IMHO.

as I stated I am happy for him and the fact that his effort was rewarded but my point is there are 75+ LBs that are better/more deserving than Dineen but they played for better coached defenses that were not on the filed 100+ plays a game going against 2nd and 3rd team most of the 4 qtr when opposing teams were just running the ball with 3rd string RB to kill the clock so yes he had awesome stats but more the results of a poor def system and bad coaching

as far as the sports illustrated people go, there are 130 FBS teams each played 12 games just how many KU games do you think they actually watched (I guarantee not as many as I did) yes Dineen is a good player who had an outlandish number of tackles but I feel that that there were far more deserving LBs than him

and if my point of view is so outlandish just ask yourself if Dineen was at Wisc, Mich or any other top def does he see the field? does he have his high number of tackles? does sports illustrated even know who he was except for maybe someones back up

or ask yourself if KU had a better DC and Dineen had better players around him does he still have 100+ tackles or more likely 55-70 with the reduced opportunities and others actually making a tackle or two, and then does he make anyones ALL ANYTHING list

Edited by jhawkblue (12/08/17 03:26 AM)

#2024615 - 12/08/17 04:36 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Apparently Schmuck is the final word poster on these things. Don’t dare say anything like “tackles show the lopsided defense at Kansas”.

#2024617 - 12/08/17 04:52 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Jesus. Some good news and people have to piss on it.
JC, what about that!! It’s just a twist on the news about JD. Has some truth to it...

#2024618 - 12/08/17 07:23 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: jhawkblue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

as I stated I am happy for him and the fact that his effort was rewarded but my point is there are 75+ LBs that are better/more deserving than Dineen but they played for better coached defenses that were not on the filed 100+ plays a game going against 2nd and 3rd team most of the 4 qtr when opposing teams were just running the ball with 3rd string RB to kill the clock so yes he had awesome stats but more the results of a poor def system and bad coaching
OK, so your opinion is that Dineen is an average LB that somehow Sports Illustrated thought was 1 of the 4 best LB'ers in the country.

And in response to the 2nd part in bold, so the opposing Big 12 coaches who coached against KU and Dineen and watched what he did against whom voted him 2nd team All-Big 12 by mistake or out of pity or because they didn't realize how and why he got some of his stats or they thought he did most of his work against 3rd stringers trying to run out the clock so deserved to be 2nd team All-Big 12? Doesn't add up to me.

If what you say about him being a "nice" LB'er on a bad D who only racked up so many stats because he was on the field for 100 plays against a lot of the time 2nd and 3rd stringers is true then why doesn't the best player on the worst D every year rack up huge stats? Why aren't they littering All Conference and All American teams? I think you're short selling Dineen quite a bit here.

as far as the sports illustrated people go, there are 130 FBS teams each played 12 games just how many KU games do you think they actually watched (I guarantee not as many as I did) yes Dineen is a good player who had an outlandish number of tackles but I feel that that there were far more deserving LBs than him
Fair enough. I don't know how SI determined who to put on their All-American teams, but it seems to me they used more than just his stats to do it, else Fish would have been on their AA team as he had some huge stats too while on a bad KU team who's D was on the field 100 snaps per game and a lot of the time against 2nd and 3rd stringers.

and if my point of view is so outlandish just ask yourself if Dineen was at Wisc, Mich or any other top def does he see the field? does he have his high number of tackles? does sports illustrated even know who he was except for maybe someones back up

or ask yourself if KU had a better DC and Dineen had better players around him does he still have 100+ tackles or more likely 55-70 with the reduced opportunities and others actually making a tackle or two, and then does he make anyones ALL ANYTHING list
The outlandish part of your opinion to me was that you are basically saying that both the Big 12 coaches (the ones who actually coached against him and saw him play against their own teams in person) AND SI got it wrong. If your opinion was just that you thought SI got it wrong and especially if you specifically had a few other LB'ers in mind(not some amorphous LB'er on some top 10 or top 20 team who by default has to be better) that you thought were better, that wouldn't be outlandish at all but rather a reasonable opinion open for some debate maybe, but still reasonable IMHO.

Your opinion though comes across more like this, Dineen is an average LB'er who only looks good because our D sucked and was poorly coached so there has to be 75+ or more LB'ers out there more deserving for All-American honors than him, including quite a few within the Big 12 as he doesn't deserve that honor either. Maybe you didn't mean it like that, but that's how it reads.

#2024619 - 12/08/17 08:00 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Wish the "haters" could make up their minds. Coach a player up to post season accolades, then later say they can't coach.

Let's hope he isn't named big 12 preseason DPOY in 2018.

#2024631 - 12/08/17 10:13 AM Re: Congratulations to Joe Dineen! [Re: Kman_blue]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Can't wait to see his name on the Ring of Honor

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview