Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2024393 - 12/04/17 11:19 AM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: John_Brown]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: John_Brown
Originally Posted By: tmcats
it's interesting as an outsider to see how high ku's revenue is, comparatively, yet the unwillingness to hire a quality football coach. maybe they spend all those millions on stuff that gets in the way of doing so. it's odd.

More than odd. It's frustrating. Geez, just look at the potential we had w/ both Mase and Mangino. Two of the best rebuilding jobs in one generation and just blew it on promoting those guys up the food chain. Not only that, but we actively persecuted both of em. Good Lord, Doubting Thomas University. Had KU's administration been governing the Jews in the desert, they'd told the people to refuse to eat the manna and sent Moses packing. Then they'd done the same to Joshua after Jericho.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

JB, the problems with the KU football program have historically not been related to the times when we are playing BAD football, but rather to when things are either starting to or have actually began looking UP. Throughout program history, AD's who had NOTHING to do with recent success, want THEIR name on the program hence they begin making changes all the way up to and including getting a different Head Coach. It happened to Mitchell, Fam twice, Mason and Mangino.

I've often wondered where the program might be today had Clyde Walker left Fam alone back in 74. Or Monte Johnson with Fam again in 82.

In any event, rest assured that once we get through this latest crap, get a new Head Coach, see some success in say 2022....another AD (it won't be Zenger) will start screwing things up and the rollercoaster will return to the bottom of the grade in short order.

#2024400 - 12/04/17 02:35 PM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: beenahawk]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
i suspect that dr. z is sitting the year out to see what happens at k-state. if sean snyder isn't named head coach following 'the wizard,' i'll bet my next paycheck that he's at ku. zenger is simply waiting to see how it plays out down here before he makes his final move.

#2024402 - 12/04/17 02:59 PM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: tmcats]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
i suspect that dr. z is sitting the year out to see what happens at k-state. if sean snyder isn't named head coach following 'the wizard,' i'll bet my next paycheck that he's at ku. zenger is simply waiting to see how it plays out down here before he makes his final move.

Now that is funny! I am not sure anyone is interested in Sean. Even if Zenger really did want to hire him he is not getting a third chance to hire a head football coach.

#2024403 - 12/04/17 03:11 PM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: moose1]
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Originally Posted By: moose1

Now that is funny! I am not sure anyone is interested in Sean. Even if Zenger really did want to hire him he is not getting a third chance to hire a head football coach.

Not so fast Moose. The administration and athletic department have proven time and again that they could get outsmarted by most 6th grade debate teams. I lay 50/50 odds that next year Zinger is calling the shots again on the new headcoach. There may certainly be some funny business going on up there going between the sheets with the boys in charge.

#2024405 - 12/04/17 03:26 PM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: tmcats]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas

If Sean can run a program as well as he runs special teams, he will be the next very successful college head coach. IMHO, he should get the shot in Manhattan. He has the credentials as a player and assistant.....and his blood lines are certainly conducive to being successful.

But in no way do I ever see Sean as the HC in Larryville.

#2024426 - 12/04/17 11:23 PM Re: The "Curse" of the Mangino! [Re: beenahawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk

If Sean can run a program as well as he runs special teams, he will be the next very successful college head coach. IMHO, he should get the shot in Manhattan. He has the credentials as a player and assistant.....and his blood lines are certainly conducive to being successful.

But in no way do I ever see Sean as the HC in Larryville.

Did you notice in this year's Sunflower Showdown how the PigFarmer short kicked it to our upback right out of the sun. And we dam near muffed it. That's the attention to detail the Bucktoothed Wizard's exhibited over the years. You know they practiced that kick all week.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Preview