Page 83 of 93 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 92 93 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2024257 - 12/01/17 09:11 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! *** [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Why would anyone look at 247 when they can't even keep up with commitments? They still have us for 10, when we have 13 or 14. BTW, on rivals our team ranking is 45.

#2024258 - 12/01/17 10:00 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Kansas
Exactly. Just as A fan of recruiting I find 247s very slow updating very annoying.

#2024259 - 12/01/17 10:06 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Magicman]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Magicman
Why would anyone look at 247 when they can't even keep up with commitments? They still have us for 10, when we have 13 or 14. BTW, on rivals our team ranking is 45.
Good question. I look at our record for three years ( 3-33) and can't reconcile a #45 ranking on Rivals as legitimate. Or we haven't used our recruits effectively to get us some wins. Either way, it's all a crap shoot on the subjective rankings themselves. My take is always on the trend of the rankings. Are we going up or down thru the recruiting year? 247 seems more likely to be accurate, as we are still at the bottom of the 128 teams in actual off. and def. stats and wins in 2017. And yes, I know the 2018 recruits aren't accountable for the current stats and lack of wins.

I looked up 2017 Rivals and KU was rated at 58, just behind Minnesota who had a 5-7 record this year. Just saying, take all estimates with a grain of salt.

#2024269 - 12/01/17 11:20 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
If you think Weis is still in the running for worst coach ever, I have another candidate or two...after two full seasons!
In terms of roster management, yes by a very wide margin. In overall terms, unfortunately there's a list of 3 or 4 battling it out for that spot in KU history and most all of them are very recent.

Edit: 247 composite team recruiting rankings for 2018 has slipped one more notch lower into the 80's BTW.
As accurate as they've been this year, you'd be more accurate picking teams out of a hat and ranking them according to when they were picked. 247 has gone from a reputable new guy on the block to being crappy in quick order after their acquisition by scout.

"Beaty also has had trouble resisting the temptation of taking recruiting shortcuts. In his first three recruiting classes, Beaty gave scholarships to an estimated 45 high school players and 29 transfers" TK source from LJW story.
Transfers aren't all JUCO's and transfers from other 4 year programs don't count against the 25 initials limitation. That means with the giant roster hole we had, we could have taken about 25 or so transfers from other 4 year schools and still signed 25 new recruits every year on top of that and still not exceeded the 85 overall limit!

#2024272 - 12/01/17 11:28 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

My take is always on the trend of the rankings. Are we going up or down thru the recruiting year?
KU has both gone up and gone down. Over the past 6 weeks KU has been going up.

To solely measure KU's recruiting by our starting spot of #2 in the country is an extremely flawed way to measure it. As long as it fits your narrative though, right?

#2024274 - 12/01/17 11:35 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
My take is always on the trend of the rankings. Are we going up or down thru the recruiting year?

To solely measure KU's recruiting by our starting spot of #2 in the country is an extremely flawed way to measure it. As long as it fits your narrative though, right?
Never said that's a starting point, but YOU certainly took that route for a while.

#2024275 - 12/01/17 11:38 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

If you think Weis is still in the running for worst coach ever, I have another candidate or two...after two full seasons!
In terms of roster management, yes by a very wide margin. In overall terms, unfortunately there's a list of 3 or 4 battling it out for that spot in KU history and most all of them are very recent.

Edit: 247 composite team recruiting rankings for 2018 has slipped one more notch lower into the 80's BTW.
As accurate as they've been this year, you'd be more accurate picking teams out of a hat and ranking them according to when they were picked. 247 has gone from a reputable new guy on the block to being crappy in quick order after their acquisition by scout.

"Beaty also has had trouble resisting the temptation of taking recruiting shortcuts. In his first three recruiting classes, Beaty gave scholarships to an estimated 45 high school players and 29 transfers" TK source from LJW story.
Transfers aren't all JUCO's and transfers from other 4 year programs don't count against the 25 initials limitation. That means with the giant roster hole we had, we could have taken about 25 or so transfers from other 4 year schools and still signed 25 new recruits every year on top of that and still not exceeded the 85 overall limit!
Transfers are recruiting short cuts however.

#2024280 - 12/01/17 12:32 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Perhaps, but the option is taking a transfer from another 4 year program(who was a recruited scholarship guy at that program) versus taking a few more walkons. i.e. it's a potential shortcut with no real downside and plenty of potential upside.

It's not sacrificing any of your 25 initial scholarship guys per year at all either and the only reason why KU could take as many transfers was because of our giant roster hole.

#2024362 - 12/03/17 08:06 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Perhaps, but the option is taking a transfer from another 4 year program(who was a recruited scholarship guy at that program) versus taking a few more walkons. i.e. it's a potential shortcut with no real downside and plenty of potential upside.

It's not sacrificing any of your 25 initial scholarship guys per year at all either and the only reason why KU could take as many transfers was because of our giant roster hole.
My take about Beaty is that he is doing "the Weis" quick fix (Jucos, transfers) because he is weak on teaching skills for a successful program using four year prospects. Clueless, and now a blowhard. Took three years to get to the middle of his dumpster fire. Now on to a fourth year for his "process". Funny, but other coaches come on (meaning wins) just in the BG12 after pulling their support system on board, but not Beaty. Baylor, Iowa State come to my mind.

#2024373 - 12/03/17 08:14 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
From what Devonta Jason is saying I don't think that oral commitment to KU means anything. He may end up coming to KU but from what he is saying it seems like he is wide open.

#2024374 - 12/03/17 08:25 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

Beaty has all his eggs in the Louisiana recruits basket. He loses them he has no shot at turning things around.

#2024379 - 12/04/17 07:05 AM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Others on here reported DeVonta has been backing off, so "my narrative" is probably correct. That is the #45 Rivals ranking for 2018 is too far off where we really are in terms of recruiting for next year. Too optimistic is not getting us anywhere.

#2024399 - 12/04/17 01:42 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: moose1]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
From what Devonta Jason is saying I don't think that oral commitment to KU means anything. He may end up coming to KU but from what he is saying it seems like he is wide open.

Sounds like him and Harris want to be a combo package.. And the only common offers that Harris and Jason seem to share that they are definitely open to are Miss State, LSU and KU. Miss State just got a new coach. And that dude is from Pennsylvania. Not a guy from the south, so that seems to hurt Miss State's chances of getting them. LSU might have the best chance. But Jason wasn't able to go on official visit because LSU filled all their spots for that visiting weekend or something like that.

Big weekend coming up for this program. The last chance for this staff and program to prove to Jason and Harris that they made the right choice. This is the longest either one of them have been committed somewhere, so that has to mean something.

#2024408 - 12/04/17 05:20 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline

As National Signing Day for 2017 approaches this Wednesday, I thought why not begin looking at 2018 a little bit?

I'll start off with the only known offer out to a Kansas recruit so far according to Rivals in Miles Emery, a 6'5" 235lbs. 3 star DE out of Blue Valley North HS in Overland Park, KS. OU just offered him last week after a visit by our ex-DL coach, Thibodeaux, to his HS. No idea of his leanings or anything else about him right now, other than he's currently ranked the #13 DE in the nation for 2018 by Rivals.

KU has also offered several guys on the Missouri side of KC. In no particular order are.

Mario Goodrich, a 6'2" 180lbs. 4 star athlete out of Lee's Summit West HS in Lee's Summit, MO. He's got offers from almost every P5 school within 300 miles or so. Right now it seems the recruiting websites think he's a Nebraska lean, but it's still quite early obviously.

Cartez Crook-Jones, a 6'4" 230lbs. 3 star DE out of Grandview HS in Grandview, MO. So far, he's only showing offers from KU and ISU. He's not in the databases yet of a couple of the recruiting websites, so there's little info on him yet.

Daniel Carson, a 6'5" 270lbs. 3 star DE out of William Chrisman Senior HS in Independence, MO. KU was his 1st offer, but our former DL coach, Thibodeaux, struck again and also offered him (for OU) late last week while visiting his HS. Seems like our old ex-coach is trying to undermine our DL recruiting locally here. He's been hot on the heals of several of our offers now. Starting to not like OU even more!

Daniel Parker, Jr., a 6'3" 265lbs. 3 star DT out of Blue Springs HS in Blue Springs, MO. KU was 1 of his first offers and good ole coach Thibs didn't offer him while in KC last week! He's just about the only DL recruit KU has offered who Thibs didn't follow up on with an OU offer. So far, he's got 7 D-1 offers, including KU both the Iowa's, mizzery, and the Corn.

KU has also offered a St. Louis recruit in Trevor Trout, a 6'3" 295lbs. 4 star DT out of Chaminade HS in St. Louis, MO. He's got offers from most of the Big 12, including OU and Texas, as well as offers from most of the Big 10 and some SEC and PAC-12 schools in addition to his offer from KU. i.e. he's a big recruiting target for a ton of schools.

KU has also offered several Oklahoma prospects early as well. Nice to see KU hitting the state of Oklahoma hard again after seemingly ignoring it for a few years there, as we've pulled in some really nice players out of Oklahoma over the past 15 to 20 years or so.

Ace Vick, a 5'11" 160lbs. unranked DB out of Midwest City HS in Midwest City, OK. So far, KU is his only P5 offer and 1 of 3 D-1 offers, with the others being Wyoming and Memphis.

Sean Shaw, a 6'4" 200lbs. 4 star WR out of Jones HS in Jones, OK. KU was his 1st D-1 offer and so far he's only got 1 other offer and it's from SMU, but I expect his offer list will grow quickly.

Ron Tatum, a 6'5" 260lbs. 3 star DE out of Putnam City HS in Oklahoma City, OK. KU was also 1 of his first offers, but wouldn't you know our ex-coach strikes again! and OU offered him soon after. Seriously, on this one he's also got offers from the other Okie school, UT, and Alabama. This kid is going to have the pick of the litter so to speak of where he wants to go.

Nikia Jones, a 6'3" 210lbs. 3 star WR out of Wagoner HS in Wagoner, OK. So far, KU is his only D-1 offer.

Jalen Redmond, a 6'4" 230lbs. 3 star DE out of Midwest City HS in Midwest City, OK and teammate of Ace Vick. He's got offers from most of the Big 12, including both the Okie schools in addition to KU.

KU has a plethora of offers out to Louisiana recruits as well. This includes Yo'Heinz Tyler, a 6'5" 190lbs. WR out of Warren Easton Senior in New Orleans, LA and former home of coach Hull, who has KU at the top of his list right now, but I'll post those later or perhaps someone else will post about them. For right now, I think this is a good starter for the 2018 class thread.

Lot(almost ALL) of those targets just didn't seem to pan out for some God awful reason. I'm stupified by that.

#2024411 - 12/04/17 06:46 PM Re: Recruiting Class 2018 News, Updates,etc! [Re: Kman_blue]
schmuck34 Offline

I believe several of those guys have qualifying questions.

Page 83 of 93 < 1 2 ... 81 82 83 84 85 ... 92 93 >

Preview