Page 13 of 25 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 25 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2017119 - 05/03/17 06:52 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
The NCAA has proven they have minimal power.

Penn State just showed that in football. UNC has shown that every day since the original accusations came out. Baylor football chugging along at full speed has shown the same.

The NCAA hammer is not going to hurt KU even if they decide to try to drop it.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2017124 - 05/04/17 08:44 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Probation hammer coming down on KU next year. Thats why Self went the transfer route. He might bail for the NBA. Missouri has a better recruiting class so far. Jayhawks are finito.
What is the underlying reason for probation?

phroggy is a world wide web doochebagg. That is the underlying reason for his predicted probation.

#2017129 - 05/04/17 02:53 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

I just finished the two books by Kenneth N. Johnson, "University of Kansas Basketball Legends" and "More University of Kansas Basketball Legends" printed in 2013 and 2014. Great books giving a lot of insights to KU basketball players, coaches and others involved in KU history as well as teams and eras. I highly recommend them for reading. They also have a little humor in them. Here's a good one:

One day in an elementary school in Columbia, Missouri, a teacher asks her class if the Missouri Tigers is the students' favorite basketball team. The whole class says yes, except for Little jimmy.

The teacher asks, "What's your favorite basketball team Jimmy?"

Little Jimmy says, "The Kansas Jayhawks."

The teacher asks, "Well why is that?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well my dad is a Jayhawk fan, my mom is a Jayhawk fan . . . I guess that makes me a Jayhawk fan."

The teacher, angered by his reply, says, "If your dad was a moron and your mom was an idiot, what would that make you?"

Little Jimmy says, "Well, I guess that would make me a Missouri fan."

#2017134 - 05/05/17 03:16 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: MICHHAWK]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk1952
Probation hammer coming down on KU next year. Thats why Self went the transfer route. He might bail for the NBA. Missouri has a better recruiting class so far. Jayhawks are finito.
What is the underlying reason for probation?

phroggy is a world wide web doochebagg. That is the underlying reason for his predicted probation.

And your a world wide bore. Maybe the hammer won't fall. But I find all these transfers disturbing. Its just something KU never does. Maybe one or two but 7. Thats odd.

#2017135 - 05/05/17 07:56 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
MICHHAWK Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Port Huron MI
There are hundreds and hundreds of transfers every year. Hundreds. Be silly not to get in on them.

The collegiate athletics you grew up on is gone. The collegiate athletics MICHHAWK grew up on is gone. It is such that I barely consider todays collegiate athletics to be collegiate athletics.

#2017136 - 05/05/17 08:15 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: MICHHAWK]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Like it or not the current system is what we have to deal with. The bottom line is to get the best players you can and run with it (which has always been the case). If that now means getting a lot of transfers, so be it. If Self getting all of these transfers works out, great, if not, then we can gripe. Self has a great basketball mind. I prefer to trust him until proven wrong.

#2017137 - 05/05/17 08:49 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

I guess. Time will be the verdict on the transfers. Its obvious they desired to come to KU because of its excellent tradition and its a place to get better. OADs come because of the exposure KU gets due to its numerous nationally televised games. A few of them I thought could have cared less about being at KU outside of the aforementioned exposure.

#2017147 - 05/05/17 09:07 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: MICHHAWK]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Originally Posted By: MICHHAWK
Popovich done after his Spurs are eliminated. Self to San Antonio.

Minus being pals with the spurs gm, why exactly does HCBS deserve the coaching chair of the best franchise in the nba? Why would the spurs give their job to a college coach that ain't coached one minute in the league? Why?

It would not surprise me if HCBS decided to take his shot in the nba. But it ain't gonna be with the best franchise in the leaugue.

Self's players get mixed up in too many scandals for a corporate-focused pro team to be interested in his baggage. Winning isn't enough.

#2017152 - 05/06/17 02:00 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Not an issue. Coaches aren't responsible to babysit NBA players. If they get in trouble they have to handle it because their paid professionals.

#2017161 - 05/06/17 06:07 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Not an issue. Coaches aren't responsible to babysit NBA players. If they get in trouble they have to handle it because their paid professionals.

This post is nonsensical on multiple levels. I applaud your artistry in composing it.

#2017165 - 05/06/17 09:07 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

I am glad you found my post entertaining. So I gather that you think an NBA coach has to provide a bigger baby sitting role than a college coach. Please elaborate.

#2017166 - 05/07/17 10:39 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
16-23 YO's, Controlling their behavior at home or while away at school, get real everybody. As one who has raised 7 it is very difficult at best. As for college athletes it is the responsibility of parents, coaches and universities. As for professional athletes, put large amounts of money in their pockets and not much a coach can do to control their actions. Let's face it, the pro players are more important to the organization than the coaches. Just my opinion. When I was that age it didn't take a large amount of money, just enough to buy a case of beer. At that point, look out. Anything could happen. LOL

Edited by bigdogjac (05/07/17 10:48 AM)

#2017167 - 05/07/17 10:58 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Bigdog gets it...

#2017168 - 05/07/17 02:24 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
"It takes a village"...

#2017169 - 05/07/17 03:26 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

One thing to keep in mind concerning college students and professional players is the age of reaching maturity. That certainly varies but one study I read suggested age 32 for the average age of maturity for men. I assume that speaks more of mental and emotional maturity than physical. College student ages would generally fall into the 18 - 23 years. That would mean many, if not most, are not going to be all that mature. Of course professional athletes are going to be considerably older on the average. Most college athletes aren’t going to have the maturity and focus of a Frank Mason. So, yes, college coaches are going to have a lot more immature guys to deal with than pro coaches, but pro coaches also will have to deal with a lot of immaturity as well as overpaid duds that have no desire to listen to their coaches. Considering what ages he is dealing with, I think Self does a good job as well as many other college coaches.

Page 13 of 25 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24 25 >

Preview