Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023813 - 11/22/17 09:05 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Bill Self is now number 2 at KU in wins with 420. He is on track to become number one in wins in about 5 1/2 years. Phog Allen has 590 KU wins. In total overall wins, Self is even closer to Allen with 627 total wins for Self and 746 for Allen. He's on pace to pass Allen's total wins in about 4 years. We do note that quite a few more games are played each year now than back in Phog's days. Of course Phog had 50 seasons of coaching with some double dipping at three different schools for a short period of time. Self is just beginning his 25th season.

#2023816 - 11/22/17 10:28 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
PHOGUSHER Online   content
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
Tell us something we don't know...

#2023817 - 11/22/17 10:57 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Tell us something we don't know...

Certainly, be glad to do so. Old Phogy is very brilliant! Hummm, I'm guessing no one still knows that. smile

#2023819 - 11/23/17 08:40 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Mensa level yo....Self stated himself as the KU hoops coach having the 2nd highest number of wins as meaningless. Only western Kansas dirt farmers make a big deal out of it. HE NEEDS TO WIN ELITE 8 GAMES TO SHOW HIS TRUE WORTH...

#2023821 - 11/23/17 08:58 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
jahawker2004 Offline
Freethinker

Loc: Wherever Freethinkers Gather
Self has as many NCAA championships as Phog in only 14 seasons.

I grew up in Western Kansas. Every farmer I knew was familiar with irrigation. Most of them had hired hands. So I guess I've never met one of those "dirt farmers" you refer to.

#2023831 - 11/23/17 03:17 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Dirt farmers...wheat farmers...corn farmers..whatever..ok plowbillies then...just messing with ya...thanks for putting food on our tables while I was working in the Navy and for the Navy 26 years protecting the farmers and others against the Soviet threat..

#2023932 - 11/26/17 06:51 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
KYBLUEBLOOD Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Thanks for your service PHOGUSHER, thanks to all the farmers to. It’s hard work, I like many have got enough experience growing up with that, plus working in cattle sh*t.
I don’t want to get political but my son is in San Diego and hepatitis is a real problem in much of California now, among other diseases we thought long gone. Things must change or what we, PHOGUSHER and all before him is for nothing. Sh*t in the streets, parking lots, name it, Watch where you step.

Bill Self is great and will have his statue and other honors at KU. Kansas has had some greats, you can’t change Naismith Court, or anything with Phog Allen’s name. What can be named after him?

#2023937 - 11/26/17 09:15 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
Dirt farmers...wheat farmers...corn farmers..whatever..ok plowbillies then...just messing with ya...thanks for putting food on our tables while I was working in the Navy and for the Navy 26 years protecting the farmers and others against the Soviet threat..

I appreciate your thanks to the farmers. Not only do they put food on our tables, but farm kids grow up with a good understanding of work ethics. Many move on to other occupations, but their understanding of the value of hard work gives them an upper leg in whatever field they may go into, even into the military. I deeply appreciate your service to our country. I've always understood the value of a good and strong military. I've never served as such, but I have a son who spent 10 years in the Marines and after being out a while entered the National Guard and has put in another six years. I have a grandson who is in the Navy and is presently floating out on the ocean. I also have a son-in-law in the National Guard who has put in about 23 years. I had a nephew who died in Vietnam and an uncle who died in an plane crash in 1968 over Okinawa just weeks before he was going to retire. He was a Senior Master Sargent. I also had relatives in many of our wars including the Civil War, War of 1812 and the Revolutionary War. Again, thanks for your service.

Because of the many who been willing to serve, we are free to enjoy many things including our Jayhawk basketball (figured I'd better get something about basketball in this post).

#2023938 - 11/26/17 09:21 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Thanks KY and 52. I was glad to be able to help deter the Soviet threat for.28 yrs. My last road job for Lockheed was repairing the sonar array on the USS Dallas. It's a Los Angeles class submarine that was featured in the classic "Hunt For. Red October"...A very accurate submarine movie. Go KU...

#2023939 - 11/26/17 09:29 AM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: KYBLUEBLOOD]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Originally Posted By: KYBLUEBLOOD
Bill Self is great and will have his statue and other honors at KU. Kansas has had some greats, you can’t change Naismith Court, or anything with Phog Allen’s name. What can be named after him?

A great question KYBB. I know one thing, if anything is named after Bill Self, it will probably have to be done after he is dead and gone. Otherwise he would probably nix any such honor. Many ideas floated through my mind after reading your post, most of them kind of crazy, like renaming the state, the City of Lawrence, etc. Might rename highway K-10 to Bill Self Freeway or rename the Kansas Turnpike. Perhaps a new building erected might be named after him. I hope that Allen Field House will never be replaced, but maybe some day they'll enlarge it by raising the roof and putting in a second tier of seating. They could call that the "Bill Self Extension to the Phog." I know, I'm getting kind of crazy here, but if he stays around, he will become the winningest coach in Kansas basketball history. He will need to be honored in some way. So what are your crazy ideas?

#2024090 - 11/28/17 05:31 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Kirk Online   sad
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Bill "early exit" Self is a great coach during the season, probably about the best there is.

#2024108 - 11/28/17 06:08 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Elite 8s aren't early exits sucka...

#2024113 - 11/28/17 07:12 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: PHOGUSHER]
Kirk Online   sad
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Mmmyeah. #1 seeds need to translate to final fours sooner or later, sucka.

#2024123 - 11/28/17 08:04 PM Re: Self – A Top Notch Tourney/Season Coach [Re: Jayhawk1952]
Original AFH Gangsta

Well most of the time I agree...but you can't ell the local yokel crimson and blue koolade drinkers of that fact.

Page 25 of 25 < 1 2 ... 23 24 25

Preview