Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023683 - 11/20/17 11:54 AM Beaty's qualified apology
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
To me it basically came off as "I'm sorry my players are so passionate and intense."

Is it just me?

#2023685 - 11/20/17 12:06 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO

#2023691 - 11/20/17 01:27 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
casey Offline
hello

OU announced today Mayfield won't start their next game.

Your move Beaty.

#2023694 - 11/20/17 01:34 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: casey
OU announced today Mayfield won't start their next game.

Your move Beaty.
"won't start" isn't a big deal, so Beaty pressure isn't there to get his players off the field symbolically either. Baker plays 98% of next week's game.

#2023703 - 11/20/17 02:27 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
They also removed Mayfield from being a captain on Senior day.

#2023705 - 11/20/17 02:40 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

IMHO about all of this is it was a boneheaded decision by the KU captains on the spur of the moment. They did it for good reasons, but it was the wrong decision. 20-21 year olds, even captains of P-5 football teams make boneheaded decisions all the time. Hold them accountable in whatever way the head coach deems necessary and move on.

I do like the fact that it showed those guys have some fight in them and some pride, even if it came out the wrong way. It shows they're competitors and they're not satisfied nor happy about how things have turned out. I like that part so I don't have a big problem with this. Like I said, hold them accountable in some way, but I really don't think this is a huge deal.

I also don't think what Mayfield did is a huge deal. To me it was more disrespectful and unsportsmanlike than what our players did and I get you don't want that kind of behavior seen on national TV or by younger ones in the stands, but to me it's just part of the game. It's the kind of things that fiery highly competitive guys in their teens and 20's do.

Boneheaded and wrong a lot of the time but it shows their passion and competitiveness. Of course it can get out of hand and that's why guys have to be held accountable. I guess I've got thick skin because I always enjoyed that kind of back and forth when I played and don't mind it too much now either.

Then again, I played on a few Bad News Bears type teams growing up too and maybe that affects my feelings on some of this. Some of those teams were bad, but we didn't take sh|it from anyone and wouldn't back down from anyone either. Lots of trash talking went on. Didn't play dirty or take cheap shots, but we had enough guys who could put a (perfectly legal) lick on you if you tried to disrespect us.. Most teams respected us in the end.

Heck, maybe this thing even worked to some degree as Mayfield had his worst 1st half of the entire season against us. Post game he even cited this game as being a "competitive game" as a reason for his antics on the sidelines during the game. It apparently got into his head some and possibly affected his play.

#2023707 - 11/20/17 02:47 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
casey Offline
hello

We disagree, Kman, but your points have merit.

What bugs me more than the original dumb act is that Dineen's been the only one (including Beaty) who truly seems to regret what happened. Armstrong and Wise have been silent, and Beaty isn't holding anyone accountable. Maybe out of fear of losing Armstrong and Wise to early entry?

We all make mistakes, the question becomes whether we're willing to own them. This crew just doesn't.

#2023709 - 11/20/17 03:07 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
casey Offline
hello

Keegan posting a photo of sixth graders shaking hands at a pregame coin toss is high quality trolling.

#2023710 - 11/20/17 03:07 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

In all fairness you don't know what actions have been or will be taken by coach Beaty behind closed doors about this.

That may no be enough for you(if it remains a behind the scenes thing), but I'd be very surprised if nothing has been or will be done.

Maybe coach Beaty could pull an old balls and suspend them for 1 week AFTER the season ended and during their holiday break? LOL

Old balls is a classy guy in the eyes of most, right?

#2023711 - 11/20/17 03:07 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

So called passion belongs on field not pregame in front of the kids right there. The fact that our coach hasn't disciplined them during and after the fact bugs the crap out of me. And I'm not thinskinned about it. Doesn't belong in the college game EVER.

#2023712 - 11/20/17 03:10 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: casey
Keegan posting a photo of sixth graders shaking hands at a pregame coin toss is high quality trolling.
Just Keegan with his usual click bait crap.

He's almost as bad as those top 15 type lists on sbnation which are just click bait slideshows to generate 10 clicks instead of 1 per user for those stupid lists.

#2023714 - 11/20/17 03:20 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
In all fairness you don't know what actions have been or will be taken by coach Beaty behind closed doors about this.

That may no be enough for you(if it remains a behind the scenes thing), but I'd be very surprised if nothing has been or will be done.

We'll see.

#2023719 - 11/20/17 03:57 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
namohcan_99 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Wichita, KS
I think the fact that this is all we have to talk about is a good indicator of where KU football is. The fact that the captains wouldn't shake Mayfield's hand really didn't bother me at all. The late hit on him, not very smart, and if he had been ejected, I wouldn't have minded. I agree with the comment from Kman in that this showed some competitiveness. Too bad our offense couldn't get it together. For a half it almost reminded me of the days when KU had one unit like the defense working, but the offense wasn't, or the offense was working but the defense wasn't. But ultimately it felt like a normal Beaty team towards the end of it. Complacent and defeated. If anything, what I took from that game was Oklahoma was overrated and KU has the talent but not the leadership.

#2023720 - 11/20/17 03:59 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: casey]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Beaty may install a walk-on to be captain this week. Then when it’s cointoss time he will have him knee cap the other team. But, it’s a secret!! Don’t tell.

So kman you feel it’s no big deal to embarrass all of the university this way?

#2023722 - 11/20/17 04:23 PM Re: Beaty's qualified apology [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

I personally think think the guy should hold a presser ASAFP, apologize for his laundry list of inadequacies, including, but not limited to:

Poor player development
Poor game preparation
Poor game management
Poor play calling
Poor discipline
Poor motivation
Poor accountability
Poor offensive cohesion
Poor Tackling
Poor punting
Poor kick returning
Poor punt returning
Poor SPORTSMANSHIP

Then take the HIGH ROAD and officially resign, giving back to the U the unwarranted salary increase of $800k

THAT would be a "qualified apology" IMO. Not this horseSh@t, half baked apology and reaction to possibly one of the most embarrassing moments in school history and fielding probably the worst college football team in the modern era.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview