Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023502 - 11/16/17 11:11 AM Practice facility?
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
$26 million. Any drawings? East of the Stadium? Where? Discussions w/ neighbors? Sounds controversial. Window by 2018. Goodness, that Board of Regents meeting left a lot of questions.

Pleasantly surprised by no snarky questions from the pro-WSU/KSU regents.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (11/16/17 11:12 AM)

#2023503 - 11/16/17 11:49 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
They’re thinking west side. Mississippi street, maybe?

OU is scared already.

#2023504 - 11/16/17 11:59 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Coaches want it over part of the existing practice fields to the SE of the stadium, but admin and others are worried that location would ruin the view of the hill and the overall aesthetics of that part of campus. An outside consulting group suggested a location on the West side of the stadium instead, but that may cause problems with the city and private property neighbors and it would not be connected to either the stadium nor the Anderson football complex. The coaches think it at the least needs to be connected to 1 or both, preferably to Anderson.

So, they're exploring any and all possibilities that would allow it to be connected and not impact the aesthetics of the hill and surrounding campus in a negative way.

I believe they have a blueprint of the basics of what they want no matter the exact location and that's what the $26 million figure is based off of. Of course exact location will probably impact that number some, but only minimally so as they won't pick a spot with potentially major extra costs involved.

#2023506 - 11/16/17 12:23 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Amazing how teams now need indoor practice facilities, yet they can play their games outside. The woosification of America continues.

#2023508 - 11/16/17 12:36 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Girod: Build it and they will come...

#2023513 - 11/16/17 01:21 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Girod: Build it and they will come...
Recruiting is more than a shiny new brick bldg. Just see the flatline of Beaty's classes so far. He promises far more than he delivers. I am attending the bowl game he promised us before the season started.

#2023532 - 11/16/17 07:28 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
casey Online   content
hello

Loc: elsewhere
$26 million is a hilariously precise cost for a facility that hasn't been designed yet and that could really be located anywhere.

#2023536 - 11/16/17 08:26 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: casey
$26 million is a hilariously precise cost for a facility that hasn't been designed yet and that could really be located anywhere.

This reminds me of the "MacGuffin", as described by Alfred HItchcock. The "nothing at all" that all the characters supposedly are chasing, but which really makes no sense. It's there just to advance the plot. Or in KU's case, to buy time in the increasingly bleak narrative.

#2023542 - 11/16/17 11:39 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The design is basically done hence how they have a figure. The exact location is the only question right now really.

#2023548 - 11/17/17 09:21 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

So basically this means it'll take a year or so to find a place and get it cleared, another year or so to get contract bids and hire a company, then in year three they start construction and that will take a year or so. As long as things take to get approved and going in may be 2021 before the stadium renovations even start. KU has the Indoor facility, the Baseball Stadium and Volleyball facility all to be done before the Football Stadium.
Beaty won't be here, Zinger won't be here either by then. A new football minded AD may want a different football design so that would delay progress a few years more. Feels like we are on a 10 plan that's gonna last many years past that.

#2023549 - 11/17/17 09:44 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

They still claim they will break ground on the new indoor practice facility soon after this season is over and that it will be done before next season begins. i.e. the exact location decision will be done within a couple of weeks if the Chancellor is to be believed.

Also, the volleyball and baseball projects have zero impact on when and how the stadium upgrades go. Those monies were donated specifically towards those projects by private donors already. Regardless of how the football team is or was doing those donors weren't going to divert any of those donations to football instead, either, so they literally have zero impact on the football upgrades.

#2023553 - 11/17/17 11:14 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Man, we talkin 'bout PRACTICE

]

#2023556 - 11/17/17 11:35 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Online   content
hello

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Coaches want it over part of the existing practice fields to the SE of the stadium, but admin and others are worried that location would ruin the view of the hill and the overall aesthetics of that part of campus. An outside consulting group suggested a location on the West side of the stadium instead, but that may cause problems with the city and private property neighbors and it would not be connected to either the stadium nor the Anderson football complex. The coaches think it at the least needs to be connected to 1 or both, preferably to Anderson.

So, they're exploring any and all possibilities that would allow it to be connected and not impact the aesthetics of the hill and surrounding campus in a negative way.

I believe they have a blueprint of the basics of what they want no matter the exact location and that's what the $26 million figure is based off of. Of course exact location will probably impact that number some, but only minimally so as they won't pick a spot with potentially major extra costs involved.

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

#2023558 - 11/17/17 11:52 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
The design is basically done hence how they have a figure. The exact location is the only question right now really.

Without knowing the EXACT location, there is NO WAY design has even started. They only have the design "concept" on paper with estimated costs. There is tons of stuff still to do on actual blueprints. Structural, electrical (is there sufficient power to the location?)
Plumbing? One might assume that the players and staff might need to use a facility to relieve themselves! Fire Sprinkler system to satisfy the City and State has not be designed without actual blueprints. All of that stuff, once on paper, needs to go to the City for approval. If they actually break ground after the OU game, they likely will be issues...........unless they have been lying to everyone and already have the required building permits because all the planning is 100% complete and approved....and that won't surprise me since this is a Zenger deal. crazy

#2023577 - 11/17/17 10:29 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.
Ignore it then if that's what you think.

#2023578 - 11/17/17 10:47 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Without knowing the EXACT location, there is NO WAY design has even started. They only have the design "concept" on paper with estimated costs. There is tons of stuff still to do on actual blueprints. Structural, electrical (is there sufficient power to the location?)
Plumbing? One might assume that the players and staff might need to use a facility to relieve themselves! Fire Sprinkler system to satisfy the City and State has not be designed without actual blueprints. All of that stuff, once on paper, needs to go to the City for approval. If they actually break ground after the OU game, they likely will be issues...........unless they have been lying to everyone and already have the required building permits because all the planning is 100% complete and approved....and that won't surprise me since this is a Zenger deal. crazy

Right, because all the McDonald's or Walmarts (or name the chain with the same basic designs for every store) around the country have no known general cost until they know exactly where each and everyone is going...err...

Of course costs fluctuate from state to state and location to location, but that has a lot to do with the codes,regulations, taxes, red tape, etc. from state to state more than anything else. I actually had an interesting discussion once with a McDonald's exec about this and recall distinctly him saying that 90% of the difference in cost from 1 state to another was purely the difference in the laws, regulations, and red tape they had to deal with. I'm sure there's an occasional exception, but that's not the norm.

Like I said, from what I've heard all of the locations being considered have similar basic costs involved for the building they supposedly have designed. I got the impression they had blueprints for all the possible locations being considered and it was more or less the same building in 3 different spots. They didn't pick straws to come up with the $26 million figure here.

On a side not, I thought that since KU's campus is technically state property, they only had to comply with state codes and not the city of Lawrence. Somewhere back in the recesses of my brain I seem to recall this being a big point of contention between KU and the city of Lawrence once upon a time even.

#2023581 - 11/18/17 12:33 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Online   content
hello

Right, because all the McDonald's or Walmarts (or name the chain with the same basic designs for every store) around the country have no known general cost until they know exactly where each and everyone is going...err...

Of course costs fluctuate from state to state and location to location, but that has a lot to do with the codes,regulations, taxes, red tape, etc. from state to state more than anything else. I actually had an interesting discussion once with a McDonald's exec about this and recall distinctly him saying that 90% of the difference in cost from 1 state to another was purely the difference in the laws, regulations, and red tape they had to deal with. I'm sure there's an occasional exception, but that's not the norm.

Like I said, from what I've heard all of the locations being considered have similar basic costs involved for the building they supposedly have designed. I got the impression they had blueprints for all the possible locations being considered and it was more or less the same building in 3 different spots. They didn't pick straws to come up with the $26 million figure here.

On a side not, I thought that since KU's campus is technically state property, they only had to comply with state codes and not the city of Lawrence. Somewhere back in the recesses of my brain I seem to recall this being a big point of contention between KU and the city of Lawrence once upon a time even.

LOL. You're out of your depth here my friend. Walk away from this one.

#2023585 - 11/18/17 07:51 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
The laugh is on you kc... kman has it right

#2023590 - 11/18/17 09:23 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm not an architect if that's what you mean. I have been involved with and around a few building projects in my time though. I know how the process goes and I've tried to relay how far in the process KU actually is here. It's further along than the debbie downers want to believe. Perhaps I skipped over a step in the building process in my description of what I've heard or didn't type it out in accurate architect speak as I admit I'm not one and I don't use the same verbiage.

Point remains, KU didn't arbitrarily pick out a figure of $26 million without the process being far enough along to know what the major costs are going to be regardless of the exact site chosen as all of the possible sites have the same basic infrastructure costs involved. This is why I'm under the assumption they've at least got blueprints already and have probably even got a contractor. This last part is my assumption from the things I've heard.

If you really don't think I know what I'm talking about, why not just ignore it and move on? We'll see what happens between now and September 2018.

I guess your position is KU picked out the $26 million figure from thin air. The Regents then cluelessly said "yes" to some building project that's still in the purely speculation stage with totally unknown costs, where KU had nothing to present to them other than a pipe dream as the Regents have had a penchant to say "yes" to these kinds of things especially with KU (riiiiight) and the Chancellor is a liar?

#2023658 - 11/19/17 12:57 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
I think the regents and the chancellor at Kansas have more than a "handshake" agreement over the $26M estimate. KU had a "targeted" amount they presented probably just before half time of the last football WWF event.

No pun intended.

#2023659 - 11/19/17 02:23 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
casey Online   content
hello

Price has gone up from $15 million (the originally announced figure from September) to $26 million in the last few months.

KU says the $15 million was an artifact, but how out-of-date could that initial estimate possibly have been? KU was still letting the total $315 million cost be reported as recently as early November... now they're saying total cost is $326 million. Hmmm.

http://cjonline.com/news/state-governmen...indoor-football

#2023663 - 11/19/17 05:42 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Price has gone up from $15 million (the originally announced figure from September) to $26 million in the last few months.

KU says the $15 million was an artifact, but how out-of-date could that initial estimate possibly have been? KU was still letting the total $315 million cost be reported as recently as early November... now they're saying total cost is $326 million. Hmmm.

Don't worry about it because you're not a KU fan anyway.

#2023667 - 11/19/17 07:32 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: 58hawk]
casey Online   content
hello

Originally Posted By: 58hawk

Don't worry about it because you're not a KU fan anyway.

I'm a diehard fan of financial responsibility.

#2023682 - 11/20/17 11:51 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
I'm not an architect if that's what you mean. I have been involved with and around a few building projects in my time though. I know how the process goes and I've tried to relay how far in the process KU actually is here. It's further along than the debbie downers want to believe. Perhaps I skipped over a step in the building process in my description of what I've heard or didn't type it out in accurate architect speak as I admit I'm not one and I don't use the same verbiage.

Point remains, KU didn't arbitrarily pick out a figure of $26 million without the process being far enough along to know what the major costs are going to be regardless of the exact site chosen as all of the possible sites have the same basic infrastructure costs involved. This is why I'm under the assumption they've at least got blueprints already and have probably even got a contractor. This last part is my assumption from the things I've heard.
I guess your position is KU picked out the $26 million figure from thin air. The Regents then cluelessly said "yes" to some building project that's still in the purely speculation stage with totally unknown costs, where KU had nothing to present to them other than a pipe dream as the Regents have had a penchant to say "yes" to these kinds of things especially with KU (riiiiight) and the Chancellor is a liar?

I suppose we both have been taken out of context a bit K-man. I too have a history with buildings/building projects. My point was that they may have CONCEPTUAL plans completed, but unless they actually know the location, there is absolutely no way actual working prints have been completed. If you have the background you say you do, you know that's true.

Though NOTHING about a Zenger run athletic department would surprise me. The man is a fool and a tool. grin

#2023687 - 11/20/17 12:53 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

My point was that they may have CONCEPTUAL plans completed, but unless they actually know the location, there is absolutely no way actual working prints have been completed.
Totally agree.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview