Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023502 - 11/16/17 11:11 AM Practice facility?
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
$26 million. Any drawings? East of the Stadium? Where? Discussions w/ neighbors? Sounds controversial. Window by 2018. Goodness, that Board of Regents meeting left a lot of questions.

Pleasantly surprised by no snarky questions from the pro-WSU/KSU regents.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (11/16/17 11:12 AM)

#2023503 - 11/16/17 11:49 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
They’re thinking west side. Mississippi street, maybe?

OU is scared already.

#2023504 - 11/16/17 11:59 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Coaches want it over part of the existing practice fields to the SE of the stadium, but admin and others are worried that location would ruin the view of the hill and the overall aesthetics of that part of campus. An outside consulting group suggested a location on the West side of the stadium instead, but that may cause problems with the city and private property neighbors and it would not be connected to either the stadium nor the Anderson football complex. The coaches think it at the least needs to be connected to 1 or both, preferably to Anderson.

So, they're exploring any and all possibilities that would allow it to be connected and not impact the aesthetics of the hill and surrounding campus in a negative way.

I believe they have a blueprint of the basics of what they want no matter the exact location and that's what the $26 million figure is based off of. Of course exact location will probably impact that number some, but only minimally so as they won't pick a spot with potentially major extra costs involved.

#2023506 - 11/16/17 12:23 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Amazing how teams now need indoor practice facilities, yet they can play their games outside. The woosification of America continues.

#2023508 - 11/16/17 12:36 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Girod: Build it and they will come...

#2023513 - 11/16/17 01:21 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Girod: Build it and they will come...
Recruiting is more than a shiny new brick bldg. Just see the flatline of Beaty's classes so far. He promises far more than he delivers. I am attending the bowl game he promised us before the season started.

#2023532 - 11/16/17 07:28 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
$26 million is a hilariously precise cost for a facility that hasn't been designed yet and that could really be located anywhere.

#2023536 - 11/16/17 08:26 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Originally Posted By: casey
$26 million is a hilariously precise cost for a facility that hasn't been designed yet and that could really be located anywhere.

This reminds me of the "MacGuffin", as described by Alfred HItchcock. The "nothing at all" that all the characters supposedly are chasing, but which really makes no sense. It's there just to advance the plot. Or in KU's case, to buy time in the increasingly bleak narrative.

#2023542 - 11/16/17 11:39 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The design is basically done hence how they have a figure. The exact location is the only question right now really.

#2023548 - 11/17/17 09:21 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: John_Brown]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

So basically this means it'll take a year or so to find a place and get it cleared, another year or so to get contract bids and hire a company, then in year three they start construction and that will take a year or so. As long as things take to get approved and going in may be 2021 before the stadium renovations even start. KU has the Indoor facility, the Baseball Stadium and Volleyball facility all to be done before the Football Stadium.
Beaty won't be here, Zinger won't be here either by then. A new football minded AD may want a different football design so that would delay progress a few years more. Feels like we are on a 10 plan that's gonna last many years past that.

#2023549 - 11/17/17 09:44 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: INation]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

They still claim they will break ground on the new indoor practice facility soon after this season is over and that it will be done before next season begins. i.e. the exact location decision will be done within a couple of weeks if the Chancellor is to be believed.

Also, the volleyball and baseball projects have zero impact on when and how the stadium upgrades go. Those monies were donated specifically towards those projects by private donors already. Regardless of how the football team is or was doing those donors weren't going to divert any of those donations to football instead, either, so they literally have zero impact on the football upgrades.

#2023553 - 11/17/17 11:14 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Man, we talkin 'bout PRACTICE

]

#2023556 - 11/17/17 11:35 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Coaches want it over part of the existing practice fields to the SE of the stadium, but admin and others are worried that location would ruin the view of the hill and the overall aesthetics of that part of campus. An outside consulting group suggested a location on the West side of the stadium instead, but that may cause problems with the city and private property neighbors and it would not be connected to either the stadium nor the Anderson football complex. The coaches think it at the least needs to be connected to 1 or both, preferably to Anderson.

So, they're exploring any and all possibilities that would allow it to be connected and not impact the aesthetics of the hill and surrounding campus in a negative way.

I believe they have a blueprint of the basics of what they want no matter the exact location and that's what the $26 million figure is based off of. Of course exact location will probably impact that number some, but only minimally so as they won't pick a spot with potentially major extra costs involved.

In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.

#2023558 - 11/17/17 11:52 AM Re: Practice facility? [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
The design is basically done hence how they have a figure. The exact location is the only question right now really.

Without knowing the EXACT location, there is NO WAY design has even started. They only have the design "concept" on paper with estimated costs. There is tons of stuff still to do on actual blueprints. Structural, electrical (is there sufficient power to the location?)
Plumbing? One might assume that the players and staff might need to use a facility to relieve themselves! Fire Sprinkler system to satisfy the City and State has not be designed without actual blueprints. All of that stuff, once on paper, needs to go to the City for approval. If they actually break ground after the OU game, they likely will be issues...........unless they have been lying to everyone and already have the required building permits because all the planning is 100% complete and approved....and that won't surprise me since this is a Zenger deal. crazy

#2023577 - 11/17/17 10:29 PM Re: Practice facility? [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: casey
In other words, you don't know what you're talking about.
Ignore it then if that's what you think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview