Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023345 - 11/13/17 04:36 PM Statement from the Chancellor *
Hot_Toddy Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Email sent to KU employees on 11/13/17..........

Football and our national aspirations

In September, I joined Kansas Athletics Director Sheahon Zenger to announce a fundraising project focused on football. This project addresses the reality that a competitive football program is important to our university and that our outdated facilities hamper our ability to compete in the Big 12 Conference. Today I would like to update you on this project.

First, it has become clear there is strong interest in this project among KU supporters. As you know, the project launched with a $50 million gift from David Booth and has since garnered additional financial support from donors across the country. These donors recognize that facilities are crucial to our membership in a Power Five conference, which in turn is crucial to our broader aspirations as a major public research university.

The first phase of this project is the construction of a new indoor practice facility. This facility will cost an estimated $26 million and be funded through private donations. We are exploring multiple sites near Memorial Stadium, the most likely being a location on the west side of the stadium. As with any project, we are evaluating factors related to aesthetics, environmental impact, campus heritage, parking and accessibility, and we will work with the City of Lawrence to ensure our plans benefit the surrounding community. We will present our most current plans to the Kansas Board of Regents this week and will communicate with you throughout the process.

As I said in my September message, a competitive football program benefits the entire university and our academic mission. We need to remain a strong member of the Big 12, and football is key to that. In recent years, we have transformed our campuses with a focus on academic and student-centered facilities – including the Health Education Building, Capitol Federal Hall, Self and Oswald Halls, the Spencer Art Museum, Swarthout Recital Hall, LEEP2, and the Central District – while adding more than 735 scholarships and fellowships and 50 professorships thanks to private giving. This transformation of our academic facilities will continue, recognizing that football facilities are part of the transformation.

I want to reiterate my confidence in Sheahon and Coach David Beaty. Nobody denies the challenges we are having on the field, but I maintain my belief that Sheahon and Coach Beaty have the right long-term vision and are doing things the right way. Our focus now is empowering them with the tools they need to fulfill their vision.

Finally, it is worth reflecting on how fortunate we are to have donors who believe in our aspirations. The fact that we can pursue a project like this with the support of private philanthropy is humbling, and it is a testament to our supporters’ belief in the work we do as a public research university. That most fundamentally revolves around the work you do – and for that, you have my sincere thanks.

Respectfully,

Doug

#2023347 - 11/13/17 04:45 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
When he cuts out everything but the paragraph below, and only discusses the state of the grid program. I'd say Dr. Z and DB would be on the chopping block. But in the context of the message to employees,?......the whole letter is a load of crap.

Originally Posted By: Hot_Toddy
Email sent to KU employees on 11/13/17..........

Football and our national aspirations

I want to reiterate my confidence in Sheahon and Coach David Beaty. Nobody denies the challenges we are having on the field, but I maintain my belief that Sheahon and Coach Beaty have the right long-term vision and are doing things the right way. Our focus now is empowering them with the tools they need to fulfill their vision.

Respectfully,

Doug

#2023348 - 11/13/17 05:34 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
And we now have death knoll vote of confidence for Beaty. Meaning we acknowledge the shiity job so far. You won’t be fired today, but soon.

#2023349 - 11/13/17 05:35 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Enjoy the fat paychecks but they will cease soon.

#2023350 - 11/13/17 05:43 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Who exactly is going to fire him?

#2023351 - 11/13/17 05:48 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Then Dr. Girod and Dr. Zenger can you please give my a solid reason for not attending the OU game Saturday which will be over by at least the half?

#2023352 - 11/13/17 06:10 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Prairie Warrior

This damn school is such a joke.

#2023360 - 11/13/17 07:43 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
jhawkblue Online   content
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

It seems that the UDK has managed to accomplish what the fans, local and national media have failed to do and that is to force the administration to pull their collective heads out of the sand and finally make a statement.

the content of the well prepared statement is basically meaningless the important fact is that Girod finally had respond to outside pressure and acknowledge the issue

now the ball is back in the court of the media and fans if the pressure continues to remain an embarrassment to the administration and/or BMDs then there is hope for action, if not then everyone climbs back in their holes and only come out for BB games

Edited by jhawkblue (11/13/17 07:44 PM)

#2023365 - 11/13/17 07:50 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: 58hawk]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Then Dr. Girod and Dr. Zenger can you please give my a solid reason for not attending the OU game Saturday which will be over by at least the half?
Sorry I meant "for" and not "not".

#2023370 - 11/13/17 10:21 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
moose1 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I do find it interesting that the chancellor linked Zenger and Beaty together. He could have just mentioned Beaty, and left Zenger out of it. Clearly he is putting Zenger on notice. Unfortunately it clearly looks like they get to next year. Although if KU struggles in the non-con I could see something happen early next year.

#2023372 - 11/13/17 10:56 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnatio...e-of-confidence

In all the content of their statements mean less than the fact that the felt the pressure to make a statement at all

#2023373 - 11/13/17 11:07 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]

http://www.businessinsider.com/20-of-coa...a-month-2010-11

These are just a few examples that the vote of confidence means very little though in Girods case I think it was more of distracting the sheep with talk of shiny new facilities until the the season is over and BB is takes over as the major distraction but 20% fired within a month so there's always hope

#2023374 - 11/13/17 11:21 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]
moose1 Online   content
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I wonder if it is a test balloon to see what type of reaction he will get to that statement. Maybe he wants to see what type of push back he will get. If that is the case I am guessing Zenger and Beaty are safe. Most KU fans I know just don't care, one way or another.

#2023375 - 11/13/17 11:31 PM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]

It tells me that he is feeling enough pressure that he felt it necessary to send out a carfully prepared statement now it's just a matter of wether the pressure subsides or with luck the UDK, fan base and local media will continue to demand better

#2023377 - 11/14/17 01:17 AM Re: Statement from the Chancellor [Re: Hot_Toddy]

http://m.kusports.com/news/2017/nov/13/t...emplates=mobile

Keegan's first attempt to keep up the pressure

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview