Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2023085 - 11/07/17 09:10 PM ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ **
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
That's DB's message to fans. Can you muster the courage or are you wimping out?

#2023086 - 11/07/17 09:45 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Depends on how Beaty defines “stay with us.” Could mean a lot of different things. Don’t sh!t-talk the coach or the administration? No can do. They stink.

But it probably means “keep giving money.” No can do either.

I’m just sticking with the players, hoping they get a new coach soon.

#2023087 - 11/07/17 09:48 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
You are the magic.

#2023089 - 11/07/17 10:09 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: casey]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Originally Posted By: casey
You are the magic.

Brutal. I think that quote may last....

#2023090 - 11/07/17 10:37 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: Kirk]
casey Offline
hello

Originally Posted By: Kirk
Originally Posted By: casey
You are the magic.

Brutal. I think that quote may last....

#neatdeal

#2023091 - 11/07/17 10:42 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

“No, YOU are the magic.”

“No, YOU are!”

#2023092 - 11/07/17 10:48 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
casey Offline
hello

Many KU season ticket holders are making themselves invisible.

Other fans are showing their ability to make athletic department revenue disappear.

#2023093 - 11/07/17 11:58 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
“If you believe in Magic, in a young girl’s heart...”

#2023094 - 11/08/17 12:10 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

“I’ll tell you about the Magic, it’l free your soul...”

#2023095 - 11/08/17 06:01 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

#2023096 - 11/08/17 07:09 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: track

The way he says, "magic"!!

#2023098 - 11/08/17 07:26 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
AlOerter Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

"Ho, ho, ho, it's magic - you know, never believe it's not so."

#2023100 - 11/08/17 08:25 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

It’s never not Magic, Toto!!!

#2023101 - 11/08/17 08:55 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

'A little magic can take you a long way.'

ROALD DAHL, James and the Giant Peach

#2023102 - 11/08/17 09:49 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
track Offline
gale sayers

Posted November 7, 2017 07:25 pm - Updated November 7, 2017 10:47 pm
By The Capital-Journal Editorial Board
Editorial: Dismal KU football program needs new leadership

Why does athletic director Sheahon Zenger insist on rewarding terrible performance?
<p>Not only did Kansas football coach David Beaty’s salary double to $1.6 million this year, but he’ll also receive a $100,000 increase every year he stays with the program. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner) </p>
Not only did Kansas football coach David Beaty’s salary double to $1.6 million this year, but he’ll also receive a $100,000 increase every year he stays with the program. (AP Photo/Orlin Wagner)
When the University of Kansas handed head football coach David Beaty a two-year contract extension and doubled his annual salary from $800,000 to $1.6 million last December, athletic director Sheahon Zenger said, “We want to capitalize on the momentum we all saw as the season came to a close.” But whatever “momentum” KU had at the end of 2016 (when the team … surged … to 2-10 after a winless season in 2015) has evaporated.

On Oct. 21, TCU crushed KU 43-0 on national television, and the Jayhawks tied the record for the most consecutive road losses in FBS history (which was set by Western Colorado State five years before the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor). The Jayhawks’ offense moved the ball a total of 21 yards — an average of less than half a yard per play. KU hasn’t won a game away from Lawrence since 2009.

After defeating Southeast Missouri State at the beginning of the season, KU has lost every game by an average of more than 28 points, bringing its overall record to 1-8. Kansas has also given up a staggering 45.5 points per game against FBS schools, giving it a pitiful rank of 128th out of 130 programs. Over the preceding two seasons, the Jayhawks allowed an average of 43.4 points per game against FBS opponents, earning KU a rank of 120th last year and dead last in 2015.

But for some inscrutable reason, defensive coordinator Clint Bowen received a $100,000 raise this year, bringing his salary to half a million dollars. Meanwhile, KU’s nine assistant coaches received more than $731,000 in raises.

And then there’s Beaty. Not only did his salary double to $1.6 million this year, but he’ll also receive a $100,000 increase each year he stays with the program. And if KU decides to fire him before his contract expires in 2021, the school will owe him $3 million. It’s pretty easy to see why Beaty still “feels great” about the status of his contract after KU’s humiliating 38-9 home loss to Baylor (a team that was 0-5 in the Big 12 and 0-8 overall going into the game) last weekend.

Why is Zenger confident that Beaty will resuscitate a program that has been moribund since he took over as A.D.? And why should anyone trust his judgment? During his tenure at KU, Zenger his hired three head coaches — Beaty, Bowen (who went 1-7 as interim head coach in 2014) and Charlie Weis. Together, they’ve managed to go 10-59 overall, 5-58 against FBS schools and 3-48 in the Big 12. At a December 2011 news conference, Zenger said, “I set out to find the best and I found Charlie Weis.” Six wins and 22 losses later, Zenger fired Weis with two years left on his $12.5 million contract, forcing KU to buy him out for $5.625 million.

KU just launched its $350 million “Raise the Chant” fundraising effort, which will include $315 million for a new football practice facility and major renovations to Memorial Stadium. Zenger sounded indomitable at the announcement ceremony: “You dream of days like this in your career when you can announce these types of numbers.” Too bad KU’s fans and donors are having nightmares about a few other numbers — like 221-48. That’s how badly the Jayhawks have been outscored in the past five games.

According to Zenger, “Coaching continuity and upgrading facilities equal to our peers are critical to the building of a successful Power 5 program, which is what we all want.” So that’s the plan — a few more years of Beaty (a head coach who loses 90 percent of the time), a nicer stadium and Sheahon Zenger sitting in the A.D.’s office. Is there anyone who really thinks this is the formula for a “successful Power 5 program”?

#2023125 - 11/08/17 05:35 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: track
That's DB's message to fans. Can you muster the courage or are you wimping out?

Considering even being identified as a KU grid fan is the cause of GREAT embarrassment, it indeed takes "courage" to support the program. At least that must be how DB sees it. Me? I think anyone still supporting this program in it's current form is nucking futz, not courageous!

#2023127 - 11/08/17 05:45 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Loc: Western Kansas Hinderlands
If that idiot had any courage he would resign tomorrow.

#2023128 - 11/08/17 05:46 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: PHOGUSHER]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: PHOGUSHER
If that idiot had any courage he would resign tomorrow.

He can'.t.......he is the head nucking futzer! grin

#2023135 - 11/08/17 09:20 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: Kirk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kirk
Depends on how Beaty defines “stay with us.” Could mean a lot of different things. Don’t sh!t-talk the coach or the administration? No can do. They stink.

But it probably means “keep giving money.” No can do either.

I’m just sticking with the players, hoping they get a new coach soon.

I am w/ the players also. But this is abolutely dreadful. Back in 88 or 89, once or twice a game Cocaine WillieVaughn would stampede thru a flurry of cocaine powder and stretch out for one of Donahue's 80 yard heaves. They had Bad Brad the Bubblegum Man throwing bubblegum in the student section. Mase was full of spit and vigor. You felt like they may suck now but they're getting it together. It was kinda fun. This, though, is just dreadfully painful week after week, year after year. And the Big12 lacks the characters of the old Big8. DOCTOR Tom, WoodyWidenhofer, Coach Mac, Barry and the Gooners. These wonder boys coaching these Teja$ teams are absolute bores. Maybe Dineen matches up w/ Roger Roebben. That's about it. The rest of it is just painful.

That being said, I'll be back down there in two weeks. I'm just not looking forward to it.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2023152 - 11/09/17 08:45 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
When Dr. Bob was AD when Gameball was driving KU into a ditch, he had at least he had the guts to come downstairs and face the wrath of a certain 1948 tackle. That little twerp Zenger is too big of a [censored] to face us. That's why I have ceased wasting my Saturdays supporting this criminal confiscation of my time and money. Screw him. Zenger is the cocksuckingest [censored] who sucks cock.

#2023155 - 11/09/17 10:34 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Too bad he got that contract extension through 2021...ouch

#2023156 - 11/09/17 10:35 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
PHOGUSHER Offline
Original AFH Gangsta

Oh Leawood be sure to tell Vega to kiss my ass.....TIA

#2023164 - 11/10/17 09:41 AM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: Leawood]
casey Offline
hello

Originally Posted By: Leawood
When Dr. Bob was AD when Gameball was driving KU into a ditch, he had at least he had the guts to come downstairs and face the wrath of a certain 1948 tackle. That little twerp Zenger is too big of a [censored] to face us. That's why I have ceased wasting my Saturdays supporting this criminal confiscation of my time and money. Screw him. Zenger is the cocksuckingest [censored] who sucks cock.

You are the magic.

#2023182 - 11/10/17 02:24 PM Re: ‘Have courage enough to stay with us’ [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Bring back Mad Mike...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview