Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2022999 - 11/06/17 09:43 AM No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU *
zimsjim Offline
Baby Jay

There was doubt before the season for him to come to KU but this team has been an embarrassment this season. The Baylor loss was the icing on the cake. I cannot fathom a situation to where Devonta thinks coming here next season is a good idea. He can't be the playmaker and stand out like he should with the supporting cast. He can't make any catches if the ball can't get to him. Thanks for the consideration, but this kid will change his mind for sure.

#2023002 - 11/06/17 10:19 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Some players have a different mindset than that it's all about winning, not often but sometimes. We don't know all details, but the kid may still come to KU.

#2023007 - 11/06/17 12:20 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: KUCO_VOC]
zimsjim Offline
Baby Jay

I don't even mean the winning part... i just mean some capable teammates that can pass the ball to him or block for him. They can lose every game for all it matters, but they give no one a chance to succeed.

#2023017 - 11/06/17 04:43 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
You come off sounding like a coach for another team here.

You are actively trying to talk the kid out of coming to KU on a public KU message board. Makes me question your motives some.

I get that our team has sucked and things aren't going well, but getting on the local KU sports message board and making the case against a high caliber recruit coming to KU just isn't very smart if you're really a KU fan. Believe it or not, some recruits, and some of their parents even, check out this board and others (KU sports message boards) and them reading a message from a supposed fan arguing against them coming here isn't gonna help out a damned thing except possibly our competitors for recruits.

I'm sure he's heard this same argument from a couple dozen coaches from a couple dozen other P-5 programs already too and he hasn't decommitted yet. In fact he just recently set up his official visit to KU.

So, again what the hell is the point of a post like this if you really are a KU fan?

#2023038 - 11/07/17 09:56 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
zimsjim Offline
Baby Jay

Do you think he's perusing message boards and he sees my comment and is like "hmmm, maybe that's a good point! Maybe I shouldn't go to KU!"... Come on, man. You think he's on the fence between LSU and KU and he sees this comment and changes his mind and decommits? Give the kid more credit...

My comment isn't going to sway him. Seeing a team get absolutely embarrassed all season long, have a team passer rating ranking of 123 out of 130 teams, roughly 100th in QB sacks, etc is going to do that.

I'd love him to come to KU. He'd be a huge get, obviously. But to think a kid with that talent is going to come here and risk his future by having next to no nationally televised games and a supporting cast that can't get him the ball and allow him to shine is a bit high on expectations from the fan base. I'm just preparing for it.

#2023042 - 11/07/17 11:09 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: zimsjim
Do you think he's perusing message boards and he sees my comment and is like "hmmm, maybe that's a good point! Maybe I shouldn't go to KU!"... Come on, man. You think he's on the fence between LSU and KU and he sees this comment and changes his mind and decommits? Give the kid more credit...
Not THE deciding factor, but for some recruits fan attitudes and comments on message boards have made an impact on them and their family's decisions believe it or not. Several have come out and said so even.

My comment isn't going to sway him. Seeing a team get absolutely embarrassed all season long, have a team passer rating ranking of 123 out of 130 teams, roughly 100th in QB sacks, etc is going to do that.
Fine, and I agree that's not good and doesn't help a thing either, but leave it at that. No need to come on the local KU paper's message board and make sure in case if anyone wasn't paying attention or didn't notice that this is the case. I'm sure everyone concerned already knows.

I'd love him to come to KU. He'd be a huge get, obviously. But to think a kid with that talent is going to come here and risk his future by having next to no nationally televised games and a supporting cast that can't get him the ball and allow him to shine is a bit high on expectations from the fan base. I'm just preparing for it.
You would? And so you come on this message board and actively argue AGAINST him coming to KU? Because you'd love for him to come?

There's been a ton of people from the day he and Harris committed(more than 10 months ago now) saying the same exact thing you just said. First it was LSU people. Then it was SEC fans and some of our Big 12 competitor's fans. Now it's a bunch of disillusioned KU fans who for some unforeseen reason feel the need to broadcast that view on the KUsports message board because they'd "love for the kid to come to KU".

Really?

I get it. It's been very frustrating watching these games as a KU fan. There's TONS to bit|ch and complain about. TONS to get on here and vent about, but to come on and start a brand new thread about how 1 of our top rated recruits (and 1 of the highest rated recruits KU has had in the past 40 years or so!) should go somewhere else with all due respect isn't how to do it!

It's very self destructive and counterproductive to your stated desired outcome of him coming to KU. Not a very good way to "prepare" for it IMHO.

Edited by Kman_blue (11/07/17 11:13 AM)

#2023044 - 11/07/17 11:23 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
If Devonta were my son I wouldn't be advising Kansas now. Would you?

I care about you, Devonta my lad. I know verbal commitments are totally guarantees, but...in case yours is not....don't come to KU unless your sport is basketball and you plan to jump ship after one season.

Our head football coach is definitely a lame duck (along with the AD), but I don't foresee a switch happening until a year or two into your time here. Or maybe longer, it takes many years to be absolutely sure a team isn't making progress on the field by every imaginable objective criterion.

Don't waste your college years at KU unless they get new program leadership sooner. Not later.

#2023045 - 11/07/17 11:29 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kirk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Great.

Maybe you all can come up with more reasons or arguments for our recruits to go somewhere else. Start a brand new thread for each one on every KU football message board you can find.

Maybe you all can pool some money together and fly a banner over the stadium saying something like "Don't come to KU to play football!" an hour before kickoff of our next home game?

#2023051 - 11/07/17 12:51 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kirk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kirk
Honestly, I'd be telling him to take everything into consideration not just the current state of the football team.

Things like the town. The people there in that town and the school. The school itself. The academics. The support staff. The facilities. The commitment the school has, etc., etc.

Obviously, he's going to play football and things in and around the program matters a lot and in regards to if the coach gets canned 2 years down the road, I'd tell him to answer this question for himself, if playing football wasn't part of your life would you still enjoy being a student there?

I wouldn't be trash talking any of his potential choices because of how their team's record looked. I'd try(IMO hard to do this as a parent!) to give him more free reign to make his own choice. OK, maybe with 1 exception, I'd threaten to disown him if he picked mizzery! LOL

#2023053 - 11/07/17 12:58 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

I think the banner flying overhead before a recent game, said it all about the stability of the Kansas football program. Just look at the numerous changes in staff over the three years of Beaty. He doesn't inspire the fans to stay in the stadium, let alone keep his 2018 recruits on board. His so called recruiting prowess has been awful. He was mining Texas for them, not very many have come aboard the sinking ship. I call for a dose of reality here.

#2023055 - 11/07/17 01:17 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
He was mining Texas for them, not very many have come aboard the sinking ship. I call for a dose of reality here.
32 out of the 108 man roster are recruits from Texas that coach Beaty has recruited here.

About 1/3 of the roster = not very many?

Just keeping it "real" for your reality check.

#2023058 - 11/07/17 01:51 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
He was mining Texas for them, not very many have come aboard the sinking ship. I call for a dose of reality here.
32 out of the 108 man roster are recruits from Texas that coach Beaty has recruited here.

About 1/3 of the roster = not very many?

Just keeping it "real" for your reality check.
Them meaning 2018 recruits. Only YOU would truncate my meaning.

Edit: Ten recruits, Zero from Texas. That's my reality.

Edited by KUCO_VOC (11/07/17 02:03 PM)

#2023060 - 11/07/17 02:49 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Funny,

"not very many" = some
"Them" = some, in this case 10
"Zero" = none

Kind of a shifting narrative about what you claim you were talking about there.

Just to sooth your worried mind about Texas recruits, we've had a few up for unofficial visits the past couple of weeks and a few are even scheduled for official visits now.

#2023061 - 11/07/17 03:00 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Funny,

"not very many" = some
"Them" = some, in this case 10
"Zero" = none

Kind of a shifting narrative about what you claim you were talking about there.

Just to sooth your worried mind about Texas recruits, we've had a few up for unofficial visits the past couple of weeks and a few are even scheduled for official visits now.
"not very many" = few, if any

There were two 2018 Texas recruits earlier that decommitted, Hunt and Tune, so not very many applied under your bs.Not many can be 2,1,0, right???

#2023066 - 11/07/17 05:30 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

2 yes.
1 not really.
0 no. That's none.

"Not many" alludes to there at least being 2.

#2023088 - 11/07/17 10:07 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Prairie Warrior

So just how much is Zenger paying you to spread all the bullshit, Kman? Only you can't see the obvious.

#2023104 - 11/08/17 10:10 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
zimsjim Offline
Baby Jay

Honestly, I'd be telling him to take everything into consideration not just the current state of the football team.

Things like the town. The people there in that town and the school. The school itself. The academics. The support staff. The facilities. The commitment the school has, etc., etc.

Obviously, he's going to play football and things in and around the program matters a lot and in regards to if the coach gets canned 2 years down the road, I'd tell him to answer this question for himself, if playing football wasn't part of your life would you still enjoy being a student there?

I wouldn't be trash talking any of his potential choices because of how their team's record looked. I'd try(IMO hard to do this as a parent!) to give him more free reign to make his own choice. OK, maybe with 1 exception, I'd threaten to disown him if he picked mizzery! LOL

Again, it's not just the record. It's going somewhere he can succeed and make the most of his ability. I can't help you if you believe that the KU QB situation, offensive line, etc is going to help this kid. If this was 2008, absolutely kid... come on over. You CAN succeed here. But with the current state of this program? How can anyone say he'll do better here then he would at a school with a quality and reliable offense? Again, this is an opinion and there is zero chance that Devonta reads this or gives the smallest rat's a$$ about this post. He's not going to read this at all. And if he does, who wants a player that is swayed by some random post. Give him more credit, let him do what he wants to do which is play football and get drafted and play professionally. I can't see how KU can provide that for him.

#2023114 - 11/08/17 01:52 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: EstebanBugatti]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
So just how much is Zenger paying you to spread all the bullshit, Kman? Only you can't see the obvious.
See what obvious?
The fact that our team sucks?
Seen it every week. In person on the home games even.
That the fanbase is in near 100% revolt and wants everyone fired?
Seen it.
The fact that coach Beaty isn't getting fired?
Seen it.
The fact that 2 of the highest rated and regarded recruits in the last 40 years or so of KU football are still committed to KU despite all of the shi|t going on?
Seen it.
The fact that despite what zimsjim thinks, recruits and their parents do often read or browse this and other message boards and it sometimes has an effect on their decisions.
Seen it. Know it for a fact from several parents of several recruits over the years.

So, what fuc|kin bullshit are you talking about?

My wish and desire to keep those guys committed and that the best possible recruiting class signs with KU regardless of who our coach is or isn't?

My undying support of KU FOOTBALL no matter how bad it's gotten or who our coach is?

My realization that actively getting on KU message boards and making arguments AGAINST KU football is not only dumb, but potentially actively destructive of the thing all of us here proclaim to be fans of?

My realization that coach Beaty is going to be our coach next year no matter what any of us think and the same probably goes for Zenger?

So, tell me what bullshit are you talking about?

#2023115 - 11/08/17 02:02 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Again, it's not just the record. It's going somewhere he can succeed and make the most of his ability. I can't help you if you believe that the KU QB situation, offensive line, etc is going to help this kid. If this was 2008, absolutely kid... come on over. You CAN succeed here. But with the current state of this program? How can anyone say he'll do better here then he would at a school with a quality and reliable offense? Again, this is an opinion and there is zero chance that Devonta reads this or gives the smallest rat's a$$ about this post. He's not going to read this at all. And if he does, who wants a player that is swayed by some random post. Give him more credit, let him do what he wants to do which is play football and get drafted and play professionally. I can't see how KU can provide that for him.
Great, maybe you can call up his folks and let them know he shouldn't come to KU and why.

Again, I just don't get this self destructive impulse.

There's tons to be pissed about with KU football right now, but to claim to want a highly regarded recruit who's still committed to KU to end up signing with KU but feel compelled to make a thread on the local KU football message board about why he shouldn't come to KU is just bewildering to me. It's beyond nonsensical.

#2023120 - 11/08/17 02:39 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
Kirk Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Austin
Great, maybe you can call up his folks and let them know he shouldn't come to KU and why.

Again, I just don't get this self destructive impulse.

There's tons to be pissed about with KU football right now, but to claim to want a highly regarded recruit who's still committed to KU to end up signing with KU but feel compelled to make a thread on the local KU football message board about why he shouldn't come to KU is just bewildering to me. It's beyond nonsensical.

I think we should drive down and see the guy in person. Only eight or nine people in the world actually read this message board. What if Devonta Jason isn't one of them??!!

Note: Assuming it's legal to un-recruit someone

Edited by Kirk (11/08/17 02:40 PM)

#2023121 - 11/08/17 03:18 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kman_blue]
zimsjim Offline
Baby Jay

okay so i'll delete this thread- your'e getting a little psycho here man.

#2023130 - 11/08/17 06:22 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

okay so i'll delete this thread- your'e getting a little psycho here man.
Ha!

I'm just passionate about KU football as I'm sure you are too.

#2023131 - 11/08/17 06:23 PM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: Kirk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I think we should drive down and see the guy in person. Only eight or nine people in the world actually read this message board. What if Devonta Jason isn't one of them??!!

Note: Assuming it's legal to un-recruit someone

Ouch!

Probably not too far off as this board isn't anything like what it used to be a few years ago.

#2023136 - 11/09/17 01:26 AM Re: No chance Devonta Jason comes to KU [Re: zimsjim]
schmuck34 Online   content
John Brown

Coe Harris and Pooka Williams stated on Twitter they will signing Dec 20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview