Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2021025 - 09/28/17 12:44 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas

Quote:

Uh, I've got a newsflash for you. No one goes to Iowa for leisure. No one goes to Kansas for leisure either. There is nothing fun to do in any of the cities you mentioned except drinking lite beer at the local dive bars with a bunch of gave-up-on-life redneck yocals.

Iowa people have Chicago in close proximity so that's where they go. Kansas people have nothing so they make do with Kansas City. So, claiming Kansas is somehow markedly better than Iowa is ridiculous. Kansas might be slightly better but not enough to pay any attention to.

Kind of a myopic view that Chicagoland is the end all, be all of attractions. The Navy Pier is a poor man's Disneyland while the Chicago waterfront isn't really that different from Table Rock if you replace the drunk rednecks in 30' pontoon boats w/ drunk lawyers in 30' sailboats. The Chicago skyline, though, is cool.

Kansans don't have to 'make do' w/ KC. As a lifelong Kansan, I sometimes 'make do' w/ KC, but I'll also 'make do' w/ an annual ski trip down to NewMexico and usually 'make do' w/ 1 or 2 hiking trips out in Colorado every summer. When I'm 'making do' sitting w/ the family up at the resort in Breckenridge having a snort, I often think to myself how dam unfortunate it is that I can't be an Iowan at the Navy Pier in Chicago.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (09/28/17 12:46 PM)

#2021028 - 09/28/17 01:43 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Of course a ruralite like yourself would think that Navy Pier is an attraction. You're probably the type of person that collects Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts too so you have "evidence" of how well travelled you are.

#2021029 - 09/28/17 01:54 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: JimWest
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Also, how many times have you been up to Ames or Des Moines and tried to find something entertaining or fun to do versus doing the same in Lawrence or KC?

Uh, I've got a newsflash for you. No one goes to Iowa for leisure. No one goes to Kansas for leisure either. There is nothing fun to do in any of the cities you mentioned except drinking lite beer at the local dive bars with a bunch of gave-up-on-life redneck yocals.

Iowa people have Chicago in close proximity so that's where they go. Kansas people have nothing so they make do with Kansas City. So, claiming Kansas is somehow markedly better than Iowa is ridiculous. Kansas might be slightly better but not enough to pay any attention to.
You've missed the point.

The point is, if you live in those areas, not travel to those areas for "leisure", you've got plenty of other options to put your sports fan energies into in the KC and Lawrence areas than you do in the Des Moines and Ames areas. You've even got more non-sports options as well.

I only asked if you'd been to those areas for whatever reasons (mine were mostly business) and had to try and find something to do for entertainment you'd quickly realize how much more limited your options are up in Des Moines and Ames compared to KC and Lawrence.

You also keep missing the entire point of the discussion by trying to widen things out to the entire states of Iowa and Kansas. It's about people who live within reasonable proximity (1 hour or so) of ISU's stadium compared to KU's stadium.

As for people in Iowa having Chicago, that's ridiculous. Both Ames and Des Moines are about 330 miles and a 5 1/2 hour drive from any Chicago pro team's home stadium. That eliminates 99.9% of the potential fans switching their game day attendance target to a Chicagoland pro team right there. Chicago pro teams are a non-factor here and the assertion that they are is ridiculous.

#2021030 - 09/28/17 02:00 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Of course a ruralite like yourself would think that Navy Pier is an attraction. You're probably the type of person that collects Hard Rock Cafe t-shirts too so you have "evidence" of how well travelled you are.
Why do people from Chicago keep mentioning the Navy Pier as a point of attraction then? Are the citizens of the 3rd largest metro area in the US "ruralites" too?

And if John_Brown is a ruralite, what are you a Rico Suave sophisticate? LOL

#2021036 - 09/28/17 04:28 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas

I've never been to a HardRockCafe. I have been to a lot of places. Honestly, 3 days in Chicago and I'm about done w/ it. The 'hassle factor' is incredibly high yet it lacks much of the reward you'd find in SanFran/NYC/LA. Given its near bankrupt status and astounding crime problem on the south side, I'm imagining a future more like Detroit and less like Seattle. But who knows?

The question is the role of KU Football's lack of a large fan base. Some are postulating that local competitive venues like camarohead/the K/Sporting KC have limited the growth of the fanbase relative to our peers (OU/UNL/CU). Those factors combined w/ a historically bad decade of on field success as devastated our attendance. I agree w/ that. Some have postulated an entire physical reboot of the program to a more convenient/modern location is needed. I couldn't disagree more. What fanbase the institution of KU Football does have is centered on an extremely dedicated core of Kansans that number around 20,000 IronArses. These people have many motivations: it's cheap family entertainment/it is Div 1 football/Big 12 fans/nostalgia/tradition. I personally believe it's nostalgia/tradition. Leaving the location at the bottom of the Hill would be a Gotterdammerung for the program. This on top of the Gotterdammerung that occurred when KU Football lost the Missoura game would give KU Football all the appeal of Johnson CCC athletics. I'm opposed to any change in location for KU Football.

#2021049 - 09/28/17 07:37 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

As for people in Iowa having Chicago, that's ridiculous. Both Ames and Des Moines are about 330 miles and a 5 1/2 hour drive from any Chicago pro team's home stadium. That eliminates 99.9% of the potential fans switching their game day attendance target to a Chicagoland pro team right there. Chicago pro teams are a non-factor here and the assertion that they are is ridiculous.

I've missed no point. The point is that only ruralite losers travel to watch sports.

#2021050 - 09/28/17 07:39 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Why do people from Chicago keep mentioning the Navy Pier as a point of attraction then? Are the citizens of the 3rd largest metro area in the US "ruralites" too?

No idea and yes. Most people in Chicago grew up on the farms of the surrounding states and honestly believe they've made it to the "Big City" now.

Quote:

There is no equivalent point of reference for JimWest.

#2021052 - 09/28/17 08:04 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I've missed no point. The point is that only ruralite losers travel to watch sports.
LOL

Alright, I guess you have no point and your entire contribution to this thread amounts to nothing of substance. Thanks for playing.

#2021054 - 09/28/17 08:06 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: John_Brown]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: John_Brown
I've never been to a HardRockCafe.

Oh, your Eskimo Joe's t-shirt collection must be all you have then.

Quote:
I have been to a lot of places.

uh huh

Quote:
Honestly, 3 days in Chicago and I'm about done w/ it.

Yeah being poor is pretty limiting.

Quote:
The 'hassle factor' is incredibly high yet it lacks much of the reward you'd find in SanFran/NYC/LA.

The reward? Please enlighten us as to the rewards you reap from visiting cities for only 3-day stints.

Quote:
Given its near bankrupt status and astounding crime problem on the south side, I'm imagining a future more like Detroit and less like Seattle. But who knows?

lol

Yeah, LA is terrible because of Compton amirite? And OMG those rolling blackouts how can anyone ever survive?!?

Quote:
The question is the role of KU Football's lack of a large fan base.

How is this a question? Are you about to blow our collective minds by saying that KU doesn't have the same number of fans as the Chiefs? WHO KNEW?!

Quote:
Some are postulating that local competitive venues like camarohead/the K/Sporting KC have limited the growth of the fanbase relative to our peers (OU/UNL/CU).

Wait, you mean to tell us that there are other sports teams? There are other schools too?

By the way, only ruralites refer to Nebraska as "UNL" - it's an effort to make a purely rural school system seem important by having a "city" name attached. No one that has never been to rural Nebraska/Kansas has any idea what "UNL" means.

Quote:
Those factors combined w/ a historically bad decade of on field success as devastated our attendance.

A "bad decade of on field success"? That's how you would describe it? lol

Here's the truth, Mr. Rural-spin-till-the-cows-come-home-and-I-fall-over-dizzy:

"A decade of complete on field failure."

Quote:
I agree w/ that.

Me too.

Quote:
Some have postulated an entire physical reboot of the program to a more convenient/modern location is needed.

Some? As in like 4 people?

Quote:
I couldn't disagree more.

WOAH THERE, SLOW DOWN. You're really taking on a controversial position you know, daring to suggest keeping something the same at KU.

Quote:
What fanbase the institution of KU Football does have is centered on an extremely dedicated core of Kansans that number around 20,000 IronArses.

Wahoo, let's all make up a bunch of bs numbers!

Quote:
These people have many motivations:

This will be fun.

Quote:
it's cheap family entertainment

These are the same rural idiots that love spending their Friday nights watching high school football. It's even cheaper! Bring the whole truckload of kids!

Quote:
it is Div 1 football

Woah, are you suggesting people want to watch high level competition? The next thing you'll say is that people like the Chiefs because they are NFL fans and want to watch even better players. I don't think the world is ready for this idea.

Quote:
Big 12 fans

Only rural idiots are Truckstop 10 fans. No one is legitimately a fan of any conference except to justify their own pitiful existence by attaching their self-worth not only to a school but also to a whole region of schools so as to diversify their investment when their own school loses.

Quote:
nostalgia/tradition.

That's Rust Belt talk right there. CLING TO TRADITION ALL THE WAY DOWN TO OBLIVION!

Quote:
I personally believe it's nostalgia/tradition.

You would. Odd how this supermajority of fans that care about "nostalgia/tradition" above all else don't actually come to the games, don't you think? Something tells me it's way more about the on-field product and the fan experience than some ancient building in shambles.

Quote:
Leaving the location at the bottom of the Hill would be a Gotterdammerung for the program.

Somewhere in Hicksville, U.S.A., pulling out a big long German word in conversation elevates the speaker to King of the Hicks for at least a week. I hear the reward is a six pack of ice cold Bud Select from the nearby Seven Eleven.

Quote:
This on top of the Gotterdammerung that occurred when KU Football lost the Missoura game would give KU Football all the appeal of Johnson CCC athletics.

But, alas, even in Hicksville, U.S.A., repeating the same word in the very next sentence negates the elevated status awarded from the previous usage and exposes the speaker's limited vocabulary.

To the "point" though - wrong. Fan experience brings fans. Only ruralites that have never done anything with their lives, constantly relive the glory days of their high school football careers, and can't see past next week believe that "tradition" has this outweighted value that you are assigning it.

Quote:
I'm opposed to any change in location for KU Football.

Of course you are. Tradition at all costs! I'd rather go 0-12 every year with 10,000 people in the stands than dare change the stadium!

Quote:

Beat Mizzou? When, exactly? Are you so attached to inbred rural tradition that you don't understand this isn't a thing anymore?

#2021057 - 09/28/17 08:35 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

No idea and yes. Most people in Chicago grew up on the farms of the surrounding states and honestly believe they've made it to the "Big City" now.
Demonstrably false, but have at it.

There is no equivalent point of reference for JimWest.
LOL I figured you'd say something like this. Kind of predictable but funny.

I surmise from this JimWest's view of humanity is as follows:

The entire global population = ruralites
JimWest = better than you , where you = global population minus 1

#2021060 - 09/28/17 09:53 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
casey Online   content
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Quick interruption to note Ames is looking great on prime time Thursday night football this evening.

#2021064 - 09/28/17 11:03 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Didn't look too great to me. Looked like the same old boring farm town it's always been.

Oh, and ISU didn't look very good at all on O. Their D did well enough, but that O was just atrocious.

#2021072 - 09/29/17 10:59 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Texas had the ball every time I switched over. ISU offense must've done a great job.

Maybe we can hold them to 35ish points.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2021075 - 09/29/17 01:58 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yeah, ISU couldn't move the ball at all. Their QB was all up in his own head too.

They kept trying to throw intermediate and long routes while they couldn't maintain a pocket so their QB kept getting out of the pocket quickly and making inaccurate throws on the run. Texas did a good job of smothering their run game too. The only thing that really worked for ISU was the short passing game, but they didn't stick with it.

Texas's O wasn't a lot better. ISU kept dropping 8 into coverage and the Texas QB would sit back there for 6 or 7 seconds before he'd eventually find someone open or it seemed more often he'd throw it away or take off scrambling. Not sure if their WR's really weren't getting open for that long or if their QB simply had trouble seeing the open WR's.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Preview