Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020971 - 09/26/17 05:31 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Win a few more games and attendance will shoot right back up.

Also, you can't replicate the truly unique setting of our stadium. That in and of itself is enough to keep it where it is, but add on the tradition and any sentimental attachments alumni have and it's not going anywhere else. I've been to several other stadiums around the country and none have a setting anything like KU's and that's my honest objective opinion. Some have cool uniqueness of their own, but not one has a similar setting as KU's does. I think that's worth keeping.

#2020973 - 09/26/17 05:43 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
3-25 is not a horse collar any HC in the P5 arena should have. Let alone a HS HC who may stagger to 32 losses by the end of this season. The new and improved stadium deserves an experienced HC. But I'm sure he can use Weis to his advantage.

#2020978 - 09/26/17 06:46 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: moose1]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: moose1
Originally Posted By: casey
Would be interesting to see a mock-up of what could be built by the SLT for the same amount of money. That location would be easier to reach than campus for the numerous KC alums.

Football on campus has proven to not be a self sustaining event. I don't get why Booth is tethered to Memorial.

He is tethered to it like pretty much all alumni are. There is a sentimental feeling towards having the stadium at the base of the hill. Plus it is just a great setting for a football stadium. It would be easier to build somewhere else, but it would not be as good of a location, plus they may have a harder time raising funds for it as well.
We could put it in a cow pasture like they did at K-Suck.

#2020980 - 09/26/17 11:19 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Win a few more games and attendance will shoot right back up.

Also, you can't replicate the truly unique setting of our stadium. That in and of itself is enough to keep it where it is, but add on the tradition and any sentimental attachments alumni have and it's not going anywhere else. I've been to several other stadiums around the country and none have a setting anything like KU's and that's my honest objective opinion. Some have cool uniqueness of their own, but not one has a similar setting as KU's does. I think that's worth keeping.

Iowa State's stadium is on the southern edge of Ames, located off campus but an easy 40 minute highway drive straight north from Des Moines.

ISU's last home game last season was against WVU. ISU was 3-8 going in, the game was completely meaningless. Attendance was 51,300.

Which football program is in better shape?

#2020981 - 09/27/17 12:16 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Really we are talking about location and attendance? How dumb is that. There is one thing that has an affect on attendance. It is winning and losing. Win enough games and that place is full.

It is the same for any arena. Hell if KU basketball lost enough games Allen would stop selling out.

#2020982 - 09/27/17 01:42 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Iowa State's stadium is on the southern edge of Ames, located off campus but an easy 40 minute highway drive straight north from Des Moines.

ISU's last home game last season was against WVU. ISU was 3-8 going in, the game was completely meaningless. Attendance was 51,300.

No it's not. ISU's stadium is on their campus just north of their vet school hence the sometime smell around there and just south of a bunch of ISU parking lots and their alumni association building. Now, I've been told the trailer park just to the SE of their stadium isn't an "official" part of their campus though.

Memorial is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the entire KS side of KC and less than an hour from most all of the metro on both sides of the state line. Even if we didn't have the ideal site already, there's really no need to move it to be closer to a major population area.

Also, there's nothing else to do in Iowa. No pro teams and nothing much at all going on, especially in the fall, so people go to either ISU or Iowa games. Not trying to knock Iowa, but it's the truth. I give credit to them that they seem to show up no matter how crappy they're doing, but when it's just about the only thing to do in the state on a Saturday afternoon in the fall, a lot of people up there choose to do it.

#2020983 - 09/27/17 01:45 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Really we are talking about location and attendance? How dumb is that. There is one thing that has an affect on attendance. It is winning and losing. Win enough games and that place is full.

It is the same for any arena. Hell if KU basketball lost enough games Allen would stop selling out.
I'm just old enough to remember the last years of Ted Owens as a kid and you could walk up right before tip-off and buy a ticket for the game cheap. Empty seats all over Allen Fieldhouse back then.

#2020984 - 09/27/17 07:17 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: moose1]
casey Offline
hello

Reread the part about ISU being 3-8.

#2020985 - 09/27/17 07:20 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

No it's not. ISU's stadium is on their campus just north of their vet school hence the sometime smell around there and just south of a bunch of ISU parking lots and their alumni association building. Now, I've been told the trailer park just to the SE of their stadium isn't an "official" part of their campus though.

Memorial is about a 30 to 40 minute drive from the entire KS side of KC and less than an hour from most all of the metro on both sides of the state line. Even if we didn't have the ideal site already, there's really no need to move it to be closer to a major population area.

Also, there's nothing else to do in Iowa. No pro teams and nothing much at all going on, especially in the fall, so people go to either ISU or Iowa games. Not trying to knock Iowa, but it's the truth. I give credit to them that they seem to show up no matter how crappy they're doing, but when it's just about the only thing to do in the state on a Saturday afternoon in the fall, a lot of people up there choose to do it.

Your def of on-campus and mine differ.

Lawrence is not exactly South Beach. There isn't a Lil Yachty concert every weekend.

#2020992 - 09/27/17 10:18 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Am I the only one here who doesn't know of Lil Yachty?

#2021001 - 09/27/17 02:10 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: casey]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Your def of on-campus and mine differ.

Lawrence is not exactly South Beach. There isn't a Lil Yachty concert every weekend.
My definition is well, actually on campus versus not on campus. Their campus extends even further south than their stadium and it's not disjunct from the rest of their campus either. It's not in the heart of their campus, but it's still within the contiguous confines of their campus.

There's a lot more going on in the KC area and Lawrence than there is in Des Moines and Ames. There are Royals games, Sporting KC games, and Chiefs games to attend. There are no such pro teams in the state of Iowa that people could put their attendance efforts into instead of either UI or ISU games.

You don't have to be South Beach to have more going on than Ames. LOL

#2021008 - 09/27/17 05:16 PM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

ITT: We see someone honestly arguing that Kansas has more to offer than Iowa as if that is meaningful.

#2021017 - 09/28/17 01:33 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: JimWest]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Not Kansas, the Lawrence and KC areas compared to not Iowa, but rather the Ames and Des Moines area.

KC has 3 major pro sports teams and the state of Iowa has NONE. If you're a sports fan inclined to attend games in person and 1 team is doing crappy it's a lot easier to switch it up to another team (i.e. any of the 3 KC pro teams) rather than make the effort to attend the game of the team that's doing crappy. When you've got no other option, you stick it out with the crappy team hoping for the best.

That's the biggest difference in a nut shell between the situation KU football is in versus the situation ISU is in. KU has also been slightly crappier over the past few years than ISU which doesn't help.

Also, how many times have you been up to Ames or Des Moines and tried to find something entertaining or fun to do versus doing the same in Lawrence or KC?

I've had to be up there more times than I'd like and there's no contest. There's a lot more options generally in KC and Lawrence than there is in Ames and Des Moines.

And on a side note, just curious as you're fond of calling some other posters "ruralites", what do you think yourself to be in contrast?

#2021018 - 09/28/17 09:17 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Proof is in the pudding. In 1962, KU/OU/CU/UNL's stadiums were all about the same size situated in towns relatively close to their state's major metropolitan area. Since the AFL's KC Chiefs/Broncos move to KC/Denver and 50 years later, UNL/OU's stadiums have almost doubled in size relative to Memorial/Folsom. Is this a coincidence?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (09/28/17 11:45 AM)

#2021019 - 09/28/17 09:34 AM Re: New Stadium Video [Re: Kman_blue]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Also, how many times have you been up to Ames or Des Moines and tried to find something entertaining or fun to do versus doing the same in Lawrence or KC?

Uh, I've got a newsflash for you. No one goes to Iowa for leisure. No one goes to Kansas for leisure either. There is nothing fun to do in any of the cities you mentioned except drinking lite beer at the local dive bars with a bunch of gave-up-on-life redneck yocals.

Iowa people have Chicago in close proximity so that's where they go. Kansas people have nothing so they make do with Kansas City. So, claiming Kansas is somehow markedly better than Iowa is ridiculous. Kansas might be slightly better but not enough to pay any attention to.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview