Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020915 - 09/25/17 03:23 PM Bowen's Replacement
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Has anyone looked at passing defense stats at other schools to identify Bowen's replacement?

I'm not sure we could hire Chris Ball away from Memphis but he looks like a good fit. Memphis ranked #9 in yards allowed per passing attempt last season. He coaches safeties and also is the DC at Memphis and prior to that he was co-DC at ASU. His bio says he coached at Coffeyville CC from 90-94 so he knows the area.

#2020918 - 09/25/17 04:19 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
The first name that's going to come up is Kevin Kane especially after beating Nebraska.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020921 - 09/25/17 04:43 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
IF Bowen is gone, Kane is the logical and likely replacement. Comes back to his alma mater as one of the top guys on the staff. He'll jump at the opportunity. Loved having him as a LB coach a couple of years back and then he got a promotion to go run a defense, and a defense that has been pretty good.

#2020923 - 09/25/17 04:56 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Has anyone looked at passing defense stats at other schools to identify Bowen's replacement?

I'm not sure we could hire Chris Ball away from Memphis but he looks like a good fit. Memphis ranked #9 in yards allowed per passing attempt last season. He coaches safeties and also is the DC at Memphis and prior to that he was co-DC at ASU. His bio says he coached at Coffeyville CC from 90-94 so he knows the area.

Bowen isn't going ANYWHERE. 1) It was a package deal when DB was hired (had to keep Clint) 2) DB and CB are best friends. 3) It's going to take a Zenger firing to put anything on the FB side in motion.

#2020927 - 09/25/17 05:40 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
1) Another reason Zenger needs to kick rocks
2) No room for BFFs if it gets in the way of KU wins
3) Agreed.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020931 - 09/25/17 06:32 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: beenahawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Bowen isn't going ANYWHERE. 1) It was a package deal when DB was hired (had to keep Clint) 2) DB and CB are best friends. 3) It's going to take a Zenger firing to put anything on the FB side in motion.

AT 3-26 it is all about self preservation for Zenger and Beaty. Keeping Bowen guarantees they both lose their jobs.

Kane was the easy option for Bowen's replacement. Why would Kane take the job at KU when he has a stable situation at N. Illinois? The same question applies to Ball at Memphis so he is probably not an option either.

Beaty should be looking for a good DC or safeties coach on a team where the HC is on the hot seat to get fired at the end of the season.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/25/17 06:37 PM)

#2020932 - 09/25/17 07:06 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Originally Posted By: beenahawk

AT 3-26 it is all about self preservation for Zenger and Beaty. Keeping Bowen guarantees they both lose their jobs.

Kane was the easy option for Bowen's replacement. Why would Kane take the job at KU when he has a stable situation at N. Illinois? The same question applies to Ball at Memphis so he is probably not an option either.

Beaty should be looking for a good DC or safeties coach on a team where the HC is on the hot seat to get fired at the end of the season.

Personally, I am not giving up on the defense yet. I thought the tackling was much improved against West Virginia. This team is young so there is plenty yet to learn as they are a work in process. I thought the guys played hard but that QB was an elusive sucker.

#2020933 - 09/25/17 07:56 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: track]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

If Bielema gets fired at Arkansas how would everyone feel about hiring Paul Rhoads? Arkansas ranks # 19 in passing yards per attempt this season and he is their DC and defensive backs coach. Last season Arkansas ranked # 101 for yards per passing attempt so now I am second guessing this idea. Of course we would have to provide him with counseling every season before we play ISU. He also was the DC at Pittsburgh and Auburn.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/25/17 08:19 PM)

#2020934 - 09/25/17 08:11 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
MNJhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Orlando, FL
Bill young might be available- If he doesn't retire.

His defenses haven't been great since he left Kansas but I'm sure he would be a popular hire

#2020935 - 09/25/17 08:12 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

If Ed Orgeron gets the boot at LSU then maybe we could get their DB coach Corey Raymond. LSU was ranked # 27 on passing yards per attempt last season. Raymond played CB in the NFL for 6 seasons and this is his 6th season of coaching DBs at LSU. Hiring him would help our recruiting in Louisiana and also could help us with Corione Harris.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/25/17 09:50 PM)

#2020936 - 09/25/17 08:38 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The list of great replacements is endless. DCs are standing in line to take a job for a program that has the fans calling for the firing of the AD and HC.

#2020939 - 09/25/17 09:57 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: vmlb]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: vmlb
The list of great replacements is endless. DCs are standing in line to take a job for a program that has the fans calling for the firing of the AD and HC.

It is a tricky hire. Beaty could make Perry DC and then hire a good coach for safeties. That is not the perfect solution but it helps with coaching DBs.

#2020940 - 09/25/17 10:18 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Have it on good word that Saban has quietly accepted the job as new DC on the down low. It'll be kept secret until after the season when they'll unveil him at the grand opening of the new indoor practice facility next June. When they open the doors and let the media in to see the facility he'll pop out of a cake with sparklers and a big Jayhawk mascot head shaped hat that says "New DC" across the forehead in the middle of the indoor field.

#2020942 - 09/25/17 10:39 PM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: pizzanbeer]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
If Bowen is gone it is because Beaty is gone.

Right or wrong they are tied together.

Not to mention Beaty has had 3 offensive coordinators in 3 years on the offensive side of the ball. You only get so many mulligans with coordinators, and I think Beaty has had his. For all those complaining about time and needing consistency at the coaching position some of you are awful quick to replace coordinators. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The coordinators need to stay in place to gain consistency. That or just fire Beaty and the whole staff. I don't care either way.

Of course I am not a believer you need to have a coach for 5 years. Very seldom does it take that long. As some have pointed out Beaty deserves a little more leeway with how Weis left the team.

#2020943 - 09/26/17 08:02 AM Re: Bowen's Replacement [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Have it on good word that Saban has quietly accepted the job as new DC on the down low. It'll be kept secret until after the season when they'll unveil him at the grand opening of the new indoor practice facility next June. When they open the doors and let the media in to see the facility he'll pop out of a cake with sparklers and a big Jayhawk mascot head shaped hat that says "New DC" across the forehead in the middle of the indoor field.

Will he bring his DC with him to coach the safeties? That should be part of the deal.
Is it possible we will lose our star WR and OT when he takes the job?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Preview