Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020840 - 09/23/17 02:57 PM some good things came out of WVU game
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
KU has developed a habit of starting terrible but making very good adjustments. The final score doesn't indicate how competitive this game was at the start of the 4th.

Herbert had a huuuuuuge day.

Secondary looked better today than they have recently. Grier put up big numbers, but the secondary wasn't really the reason WVU ran up the huge point total.

Sims' long catch was electric.

Bender was unlucky on the turnovers. He's not a great QB, but he shouldn't get too much grief for the tipped ball INT or for the dumb-luck fumble.

#2020841 - 09/23/17 02:58 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
A loss is a loss.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020842 - 09/23/17 03:01 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: dgless21]
casey Offline
hello

Originally Posted By: dgless21
A loss is a loss.

There are no moral victories, but building a football program is a process.

#2020848 - 09/23/17 03:43 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
A loss is a loss.
Casey the troll can GTH.

#2020849 - 09/23/17 05:06 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: casey
A loss is a loss.

Exactly! All in all a pretty entertaining game. The offense is making improvements. The run game was awesome. The defensive secondary played better and tackled much better. The defensive line is still not plugging holes on run plays and not able to apply pressure consistently. All in all not a bad performance and the game was closer in the second half than the score would indicate.

#2020850 - 09/23/17 05:25 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I agree. I expected a bloodbath, and the start was to what I expected, but I must give credit..this team fought their way back into it, and had they not just laid an absolute turd to start, would've been in a position to win. It sucks to lose, but there was a lot of fight.

We are in a horrid position where we truly can't clean house for another 2-3 years, minus campus getting rapey like Baylor, due to not even being able to find anyone that would be a big enough sucker to take the job.

Keep sawing wood, find someway to be prepared to start a game, and we can knock off another win.

RCJHKU!

#2020855 - 09/23/17 07:02 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I must say the WVU game went better than I expected. If KU had started off better, and finished a couple of those drives, who knows.

The running game was awesome, and the O line played well. Hannon is clearly better than Frazier. I am wondering what they saw in Frazier. Not that I am giving up on the kid, he is still young. In a year or two he could be a stud.

Sounds like the D backs played better. Our D line still is not putting on the pressure I thought they would.

Bender needs to find some confidence early on in games. As I said before I think Bender is the better QB, but may not be what this team needs. Although he did much better at avoiding sacks.

As I said this game was probably better than I expected, which is nice coming off of two bad losses.

#2020856 - 09/23/17 07:18 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
It could have been a lot more interesting if we hadn't given up a pick 6 with 36 seconds left In the half. What looked like a safe call turned into a killer because of awful execution.

#2020857 - 09/23/17 08:08 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: PbBut]
Jayhawk1952 Offline
Lawrence Legend

A loss may be a loss but improvement is improvement. That's what we saw today. At this stage of the game, I'll take a loss with improvement over a win with no improvement. Improvement is what we need and continued improvement will bring wins. The hole we've been in and are trying to get out of almost seems like a bottomless pit. Continued improvement is the only thing that will get us out of it. I still think we're going to surprise someone this year, maybe more than one.

#2020858 - 09/23/17 09:36 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: Jayhawk1952]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

I just hope today's game opened coach Beaty's eyes and saw we don't an "Air Raid" offense to be successful on offense. He can run the Mangino spread and be very good.

#2020859 - 09/23/17 09:48 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
At some point, we'll realize that the offense doesn't matter when we give up 7+ yards per play on defense.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020860 - 09/23/17 10:50 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Bizarrely enough, I'd say the DL was the most responsible for the 7+ yards per play average. The secondary played their best game of the season so far and the LB's played better too IMO. Not saying any of those units was great or where we need them to be, but rather I thought the DL played the worst of the 3 and they've got the most talent, so it's a bit confusing and disappointing.

Seems like a couple guys aren't playing 100% on the DL to me. Not sure if it's an injury thing or it's a head game thing though. Don't think they're used to all the hoopla/attention and pressure/expectations that was put on them in the preseason and that may be playing a part. Just a guess though.

#2020861 - 09/23/17 10:54 PM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

A loss is a loss.

Mangino did it in 2 seasons. We need to stop giving so much leeway. It isn't nearly as hard as you ruralites like to pretend.

#2020863 - 09/24/17 03:22 AM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: JimWest]
casey Offline
hello

Originally Posted By: JimWest
A loss is a loss.

Mangino did it in 2 seasons. We need to stop giving so much leeway. It isn't nearly as hard as you ruralites like to pretend.

Weis's destruction of the program was uniquely comprehensive. Whoever his successor, they deserve a little extra leeway to get this right.

#2020864 - 09/24/17 08:28 AM Re: some good things came out of WVU game [Re: casey]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
I have to agree with Casey. I am now watching the game, as we were gone yesterday. The first drive was bizarre. Just pound your dicks into the dirt old Big 8 style football. Why the coaches didn't see the success and stick with this the rest of the game (as we were running it at will) is beyond me. I know it isn't the sexy "Air Raid" offense we like to pretend we run, but it shortens the game, controls the clock, and keeps our D off the field to catch their wind. I have never understood coaches that come in with their offensive philosophy firm in hand before they know what they have as far as position players. Good coaches see what they have, try to recruit to what they want, but use what is going to be MOST successful FIRST.

RCJHKU!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview