Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020627 - 09/17/17 04:20 PM Is there anything to be hopeful about?
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
As we all are at varying stages of disappointment with the team and how they've played so far this year, I thought I'd at least bring up a couple of positive things I saw during the game.

• Herbert had a great game. He showed better vision and decisiveness than last year. He looked to be able to get 5 yards rushing on almost every play.
  • Once we made the changes on OLine in the 2nd quarter the OL as a whole looked significantly better than it has all season long. I think we may have finally got our starters in place for the rest of the season. Hopefully they'll grow and progress as a unit now that this is hopefully settled.
  • Harrell is a complete stud. Kid also had a real good game. He looks to be a little bit better game in and game out so far. If we can get Booker more involved and keep bringing along Charlot and others our passing game could keep improving. That's also dependent on the new look OL to keep playing relatively well of course.

Those were at least 3 positive things that stuck out to me yesterday despite all of the other crappy things that have been happening. I also think coach Meacham is a good enough coach to keep the O developing as the season goes along. I mean, this was the most points we've scored on the road in 5 years and that's even if you take away the last second TD we had.

Anyone else notice anything they thought looks promising or was positive?

Again, we all know there's been a lot more negative and crappy than positive so please save that for all the other threads if you didn't notice anything positive or promising.

#2020629 - 09/17/17 06:23 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Unfortunately, the problem is that all of those are on offense.

Bender seems to have great ability on slants and with Herbert we could nickel and dime up the field. We just have to stay patient and take those gains instead of the errant long passes.

I'd like to see Mayberry on the field more. Miller Jr. too. Mayberry was highly recruited because he's got speed and size. Let him play. Miller played better as a freshman than we've seen at DB at times this year.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020631 - 09/17/17 06:50 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
You are correct on those items. However there seems to be a disturbing trend. KU gets a little bit better throughout the season only to give it all back at the beginning of the next season. It never seems like KU is building anythinn over the years.

There are nine more games and maybe KU gets better and even get a win or two, but the competition is SO tough.

Cut out the dumb mistakes and maybe we would see some real improvement. It seems like KU shoots themselves in the foot way too much.

It's just frustrating and at this point I don't see it getting better for a LONG time.

#2020633 - 09/17/17 08:34 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: moose1]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The Phog has a post from Bob Strauss that listed some positives for our offense. Compared to how we played against Ohio last season, we scored 9 more points, 209 more yards of total offense, 14 more 1st downs and improved time of possession by 11 minutes.

There are other improvements on offense that show up in the stats. KU rushing yards KU had 82 more yards rushing against Ohio compared to last season. KU had 2 rushing TDs this season against Ohio compared to 0 rushing TDs against Ohio last season. KU had 137 more passing yards compared to last season against Ohio.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/18/17 05:48 PM)

#2020634 - 09/17/17 08:43 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
You pretty well covered it Kman. Just need to stay positive for the young guys out there busting their butts!

#2020635 - 09/17/17 09:43 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
I plan on taking another look at it tomorrow.....maybe after a few days I will see some positives and let you know.

#2020641 - 09/18/17 08:46 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Watched a replay last night..

Booker and Harrell still have the ability to be big time guys in this offense. And the offense moved the ball pretty well after the first quarter with a hobbled Sims.. I still am looking for a healthy Charlot to be a playmaker once he finally gets to the point of being healthy.

And like Kman said, once the other guys came in on the right side of the OLine, the offense kept gaining yards. Those guys will start this week.

Also, I'm honestly interested in Bowen's adjustments over the next few weeks. Play WVU, then have a bye week. In that bye week, there will be a lot of soul searching and a lot of heavy competition for spots that have been underperforming. Practices will be physical, there will be no game planning that week. Just all about them and how they can make themselves better.

#2020644 - 09/18/17 09:05 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Special teams are better then last year.
We are making fgs.
Can't tell if the punt return team is better, since the opposition doesn't punt.

#2020646 - 09/18/17 09:15 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Yes, the Band still sounds good.

#2020647 - 09/18/17 09:25 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: moose1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1
You are correct on those items. However there seems to be a disturbing trend. KU gets a little bit better throughout the season only to give it all back at the beginning of the next season. It never seems like KU is building anythinn over the years.

There are nine more games and maybe KU gets better and even get a win or two, but the competition is SO tough.

Cut out the dumb mistakes and maybe we would see some real improvement. It seems like KU shoots themselves in the foot way too much.

It's just frustrating and at this point I don't see it getting better for a LONG time.

Hard to tell is the competition is SO tough. Which Texas team will we play, the one beat by Maryland or the one that played USC? Baylor is down. TTU? ISU seems to be better. TCU seems better. OSU and OU, we may as well forget about. Kitties? No doubt they will be ready for us, when they play their super bowl.

#2020648 - 09/18/17 09:42 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline
Big Dipper

Basketball season???

#2020651 - 09/18/17 10:30 AM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
casey Offline
hello

Loc: elsewhere
KU brought cheerleaders to Athens Ohio, so the athletic department obviously has unlimited financial resources.

#2020663 - 09/18/17 02:05 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Special teams are better then last year.
We are making fgs.
Can't tell if the punt return team is better, since the opposition doesn't punt.

Yeah, the punt return(only 1 fumble so far) and FG units have been a lot better than last year so far. Kickoff return has been good too and punt coverage has been respectable.

#2020666 - 09/18/17 03:13 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Big Dipper

So of the 3 different phases of the game, those being Offense, Defense and Special Teams,we completely suck at the first two, but we are average in the least important of the 3. Well, Hot Dam, we got that goin for us.

#2020686 - 09/18/17 06:21 PM Re: Is there anything to be hopeful about? [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hannon did a good job replacing Frazier. In the 1st two KU drives Fraziers mistakes cost us plays. I think our opening drives will improve now that Hannon is playing. Hughes did a good job blocking. Tovi looked solid at OG.

Herbert was productive at RB. The new OL players helped Herbert with better blocking.

Jones is doing well on kick offs. Moos is doing well on his punts. Tackling was improved on kick offs and punts. KU did not have major bobbles fielding kick offs or punts.

Ribordy hiked the ball cleanly to the QB. OL did not have off sides penalties. DL did not have off sides penalties.

Bender usually threw accurate passes to Sims.

DL held Ohio to 4.7 yards per rushing attempt and last season the DL held Ohio to 5.8 yards per rushing attempt. That was a good improvement.

Bender has decent accuracy to about 10 - 15 yards out on slant routes over the middle.

Major improvements needed. KU needs to get better at handling the blitz. Bender needs to read the blitz quicker and get rid of the ball. Meacham needs to give Bender more short pass options on 3rd down when he expects a blitz.

The defensive secondary needs better athletes. Do we have any more WRs that are not playing on offense that could play DB? Charlot, Patrick, Hartzog, Williams, Jordan or McQueen maybe?

The defense needs to get better at pursuit and tackling on runs to the outside.

No more onside kicks to start the 2nd half. Save those for close games when time is running out. That was a buzz kill for the players and put the defense in a bad position.

I'm not really happy with Meachams attempts to run a reverse. Those plays blow up too often and the WR is tackled in the bbackfield for a loss.

The DL and LBs should work on not overrunning plays. That problem is causing too many missed tackles and face masks.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/18/17 06:36 PM)

Preview