Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020582 - 09/16/17 05:37 PM Always remember....
Jman1 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

the last time we had a decent defense was when Bill Young was here. After that it has been a "Pile of crap"(and that's being VERY kind).

Edited by Jman1 (09/16/17 05:45 PM)

#2020585 - 09/16/17 05:57 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
Last year's defense was not bad. They were just on the field too much, especially considering the depth on D. This year's D is definitely worse.

#2020587 - 09/16/17 06:00 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
Jman1 Offline

I dont think 40 and 50 point losses signify a defense that is "not bad". Time to get rid of the HS D coordinator and get a real coach in there. Hell, even a cheerleader would prolly be an upgrade

#2020594 - 09/16/17 06:30 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: moose1]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Prairie Warrior

Originally Posted By: moose1
Last year's defense was not bad. They were just on the field too much, especially considering the depth on D. This year's D is definitely worse.

Last year's D was bad. They couldn't stop the run to save their lives.

#2020596 - 09/16/17 07:47 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yes the d sux.
But can we get a first down in the first qtr.? Can we have a game where the defense doesn't have to play 75% of the game? CAn we have an O that doesn't turn the ball over on the first play after the D gets a takeaway? I'm amazed the D had a stop in the second half after being on the field most of the first half. Why always blame the D? Never the O?

#2020598 - 09/16/17 09:09 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline

Originally Posted By: vmlb
Yes the d sux.
But can we get a first down in the first qtr.? Can we have a game where the defense doesn't have to play 75% of the game? CAn we have an O that doesn't turn the ball over on the first play after the D gets a takeaway? I'm amazed the D had a stop in the second half after being on the field most of the first half. Why always blame the D? Never the O?

It's not the D. it's not the O. it's not Special teams. It's the whole operation. They all suck from the top down, and that starts with the administration. Bunch of overpaid fools that can't put the thumbs together

#2020599 - 09/16/17 09:12 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
Jman1 Offline

Yes the d sux

Understatement of the decade. No, sorry, since man starting walkin bipedal

#2020737 - 09/20/17 01:14 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
jayhawk_4_life2 Offline
John Brown

Loc: one foot in slave state one fo...
Originally Posted By: Jman1
I dont think 40 and 50 point losses signify a defense that is "not bad". Time to get rid of the HS D coordinator and get a real coach in there. Hell, even a cheerleader would prolly be an upgrade

As a high school coach for 19 years at a very successful program, I take offense to coaches said this guy is so stupid he is a HS D coordinator ( I know you didn't say that but that what is implied). I know many of you have areas that you can watch the film and tell how to coach and what should happen every play.... AFTER it happened. I would like to see many of you on here make decisions not reactionary but proactively... You want Beaty fired ok... who is taking the job? You want Zinger fired Ok.... who is taking the job? I don't know is not the answer for a proactive person. yes there are things that I'm upset with but truly the most pain right now is that the DBs couldn't cover the same play that CMU ran 8-10 times for 3 scores. The OL can't protect or create big holes for running .

Again these two positions need experience and/or leaders. I don't know about leadership if they have or not, I'm not in their room however, I do know that they are YOUNG. YOUNG players make mistakes and yes everyone has young players but the OL and DBs are (I don't have the numbers to prove this so I could be wrong) the youngest position groups in football.

Now Beaty, Bowen and staff have made mistakes but they are very fixable. Will they? I don't know . but they are fixable. 3 years ago you all said it will take 5 years to fix this 2 1/4 you all want the guy canned... I remember the call for Mangino to be canned then he went on his run and now every time KU football is mentioned it is Mark Mangino is the greatest coach in history. I would say don't buy tickets, don't watch the games, don't spend money on planes just be what every one else things of KU ( quiet during until basketball season) and give the man this year and next and if he still sucks then remove them but I think you will be surprised.

#2020738 - 09/20/17 01:31 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
Considering the amount of money Zenger is making...and the top tier financials KU Athletics has, KU is a desirable location as an AD.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2020742 - 09/20/17 05:21 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
the last time we had a decent defense was when Bill Young was here. After that it has been a "Pile of crap"(and that's being VERY kind).

Always remember that back then we had some talent and a HC who game planned around the overall team deficiencies. Bill Young was also the DC who rested Gordon with less than a minute left in the half and subbed in a Toast Twin allowing Texas Tech to get the momentum by burning the same Amadi on three straight plays for a TD. Young wasn't the be all/end all of DC's. Beaty's love for the "Air Raid" adversely effects the defense farther than most realize.

Also, who in their right mind runs a fade route on 2nd & Goal from the 1, besides DB? Ah well, he got 3 points when it was all said and done.

#2020746 - 09/20/17 08:08 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: beenahawk]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Originally Posted By: beenahawk
Also, who in their right mind runs a fade route on 2nd & Goal from the 1, besides DB? Ah well, he got 3 points when it was all said and done.
100% sure that was Meacham's call. Pretty sure Meacham has been given full control of the O play calling. I'm sure coach Beaty is doing the game planning on O in conjunction with Meacham, but as for play calling that 100% Meacham's call.

He does seem to love fades on any down and goal to go. Didn't work against CMU, but did work against Ohio twice.

#2020748 - 09/20/17 08:35 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

And Clint Bowen was the co-DC.

#2020757 - 09/21/17 09:50 AM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Kman_blue]
beenahawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Topeka, Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
100% sure that was Meacham's call. Pretty sure Meacham has been given full control of the O play calling. I'm sure coach Beaty is doing the game planning on O in conjunction with Meacham, but as for play calling that 100% Meacham's call.

He does seem to love fades on any down and goal to go. Didn't work against CMU, but did work against Ohio twice.

Maybe, but if I was the HC I would over rule that call in a flash. Getting six points should be the goal, not how flashy we look getting those points. 3 straight up the guts should net the less than a yard we needed. To walk away with only three is strictly on the staff.

#2020786 - 09/22/17 01:31 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: beenahawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas

Always remember that back then we had some talent and a HC who game planned around the overall team deficiencies. Bill Young was also the DC who rested Gordon with less than a minute left in the half and subbed in a Toast Twin allowing Texas Tech to get the momentum by burning the same Amadi on three straight plays for a TD. Young wasn't the be all/end all of DC's. Beaty's love for the "Air Raid" adversely effects the defense farther than most realize.

Gawd, I still haven't gotten over that day. I was hoping this would be the year we'd finally get one over on those guys. Not looking so good now.

Coaches aren't as important as the Joes. In 95, Hankwitz was brilliant. In 96, he sucked. Bill Young was way smarter in 2007 w/ ChrisHarris/AqibTalib than he was in 04 w/ the Toast Twins. One thing that was great about the Buddha was that he threw everything he had into the fire. Down at Stoolwater one week in 2003, CharlesGordon was a Big12 All-Conference Receiver. The next week against Nebraska, he was a starting cornerback. I honestly wouldn't mind a little of that desperation in Memorial Stadium this Saturday.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2020793 - 09/22/17 05:38 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline

Originally Posted By: vmlb

And Clint Bowen was the co-DC.

That was a "title".

#2020794 - 09/22/17 05:42 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
Jman1 Offline

"Young wasn't the be all/end all of DC's. Beaty's love for the "Air Raid" adversely effects the defense farther than most realize."

No, he wasn't but it would be like the second coming of Jesus if he were to return, comparatively speaking with what we have now.

#2020795 - 09/22/17 05:48 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
My two cents is we have players but no competent plan to use them. Staff changes at DC & HC needed. Last two games were eye openers for most. Me included

#2020803 - 09/22/17 07:24 PM Re: Always remember.... [Re: dgless21]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: dgless21
Considering the amount of money Zenger is making...and the top tier financials KU Athletics has, KU is a desirable location as an AD.

It may be. But noone, and I mean noone in the country has a bigger smoking hole to fix than KU Football. Sure Army sucks at MBB, but noone cares. KU Athletic's future in terms of conference realignment are dependent on what happens to this football team over the next 5 years.

Can you imagine how difficult the next AD's job will be in 2022 to announce the University's excitement at joining the American Ag Conference w/ KSU/CSU/OSU/ISU/NMSU/Tech/TSU/NDSU and a couple of bible colleges down in Waco/FtWorth?

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview