Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020580 - 09/16/17 05:14 PM Stanley=Cummings??
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Is Carter getting the same treatment as Cummings? Doesn't start because he's not as good a QB, but when he does play, his team moves the ball better then the starting QB.

#2020583 - 09/16/17 05:38 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline
Big Dipper

Stanley=Transfer

These KU QBs are putting their lives on the line out there every snap, like walking the streets of South Chicago

Edited by Jman1 (09/16/17 05:57 PM)

#2020584 - 09/16/17 05:55 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
I have a feeling Bender is the better quarterback, but Stanley might be the better quarterback for KU.

#2020586 - 09/16/17 05:59 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: moose1]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: moose1
I have a feeling Bender is the better quarterback, but Stanley might be the better quarterback for KU.
However, the coaches do not know who to use.

#2020589 - 09/16/17 06:05 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Big Dipper

Bender wouldn't roll out of the pocket even if there was a 800 pound grizzly bear running at him. Bad combination with Bender and a JUCO level offensive line

Kinda feel sorry for the kid actually tho

#2020593 - 09/16/17 06:21 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
shawneehawk Offline
Baby Jay

Loc: Shawnee, KS
My fear is that Beaty promised Bender the starting job if he came to KU....hope that's not the case. Bender may throw a prettier ball
but Stanley is more of gutsy type knowing what it takes to win.

#2020600 - 09/16/17 09:28 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
Jman1 Offline
Big Dipper

In observation of the GLARING deficiencies on offense, I think
I would start Starks and let him improvise as he goes. Do a little sandlot Don't even have to worry about calling plays in or delay of game!! And atleast then the opposing D can't just tee off on a helpless QB.

I honestly think Miami Central HS is better than this team. They are EFFING atrocious. They look like complete fools out there. What the hell does anyone say or think in film study? Do the coaches know anything to say? IS the coach response "good try tiger, we'll get em next time"?

It's extremely hard to believe that an actual, legitimate DI program can be so inept and incompetent

#2020615 - 09/17/17 12:52 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Stanley is a high energy gamer type guy while Bender is a better passer with more accuracy and speed on his throws. Bender is also a statue with zero escapability and emotionally flat. The emotionally flat part could be good in that he's steady and doesn't get flustered, but he also doesn't excite or install energy to the O.

Don't think we've got the OL to provide Bender the protection he needs to be as effective as he can be. I think Stanley would probably lead our O the best in this situation but that also would take away from our vertical pass game. Not sure Meacham would like that idea too much and it may allow teams to stack the box more thus limiting our run game and making us more 1 dimensional. I think Stanley is enough of a gamer to not let that happen though.

#2020643 - 09/18/17 09:03 AM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: Kman_blue]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

I don't have a problem with Bender or Stanley. I think Bender is a pretty good QB. It seems like Beaty is trying to put most of the blame on him, rather than rip the OL. Maybe, he feels like Bender can handle it. Beaty says, "at times", he holds onto the ball to long. I would agree on the zero blitz situations, but how fast should he be throwing when there's no blitz or only sending five. He has absolutely no time to throw. How can an Air Raid offense not be able to pass block? Everyone that we've played so far has done a much better job protecting their QB, than we have!

#2020649 - 09/18/17 09:53 AM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: Magicman]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: Magicman
I don't have a problem with Bender or Stanley. I think Bender is a pretty good QB. It seems like Beaty is trying to put most of the blame on him, rather than rip the OL. Maybe, he feels like Bender can handle it. Beaty says, "at times", he holds onto the ball to long. I would agree on the zero blitz situations, but how fast should he be throwing when there's no blitz or only sending five. He has absolutely no time to throw. How can an Air Raid offense not be able to pass block? Everyone that we've played so far has done a much better job protecting their QB, than we have!

For the most part you're correct. BUT listening to the game, David Lawrence kept say he was holding the ball too long (of course DL will usually take sides with the OL). The one sack with the OL all chop blocking was, without a doubt, Bender's fault.

#2020653 - 09/18/17 10:58 AM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: Magicman]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I agree. I really don't have too much of a problem with either Bender or Stanley at QB as the QB play has not been our issue so far.

Bender has definitely held the ball too long a lot so far though. It's better than panicking and throwing the ball up for grabs or trying to force it into a way too tight of a window like our previous QB's were doing, but it's still a problem.

VMLB is also correct in that funky play where all of the OL cut their guys was a designed quick pass, hence why everyone was cut blocking to get the hands of all of the defenders down so they couldn't potentially deflect or slap away the pass. Instead of getting the ball out to the wide open WR about 8 yards downfield right up the middle as he was supposed to do, Bender kind of panicked and ducked taking the sack. It made the OL look bad, but they did their job even if a couple of them didn't do it too well, they still did it well enough for the play to have worked if Bender got the ball out like he was supposed to have.

I also agree that most of the time our opponents are protecting their QB's better than we have, but that's also in part because their QB's were getting the ball out real quick to neutralize our pass rush. It's worked so far because our secondary has been so bad and nobody besides Wise at times is really stepping up to counter all of the double teaming and even triple teaming at times that Armstrong is getting.

The 1 big positive I took from the Ohio game is that we look to have finally found a serviceable starting OL. That should help us out a lot going forward. But even before that, I'd say Bender holding onto the ball too long was responsible for 2/3 of the sacks he's had.

#2020655 - 09/18/17 11:08 AM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
DrGreydog Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Loc: Topeka
I thought the biggest reason Bender got the job at QB was because of he quick release.....
how much of the problem of holding the ball is receivers not getting separation down field?

#2020661 - 09/18/17 01:48 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: DrGreydog]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

He does have a quick release...once he decides to throw it.

The WR's have been open, but for whatever reasons Bender has decided that he couldn't throw it to them. Sometimes I think he just missed seeing them, and sometimes he's too quick to get his eyes off of downfield when he thinks some pressure is coming. At least that's how it looks to me.

#2020668 - 09/18/17 03:21 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: vmlb

For the most part you're correct. BUT listening to the game, David Lawrence kept say he was holding the ball too long (of course DL will usually take sides with the OL). The one sack with the OL all chop blocking was, without a doubt, Bender's fault.

I agree with Bender needing to get the ball out quickly, when he calls for cut blocks. The only problem with the cut blocks is that you are actually supposed to cut the D-Lineman and not just dive on the ground. Those were pathetic blocks, if that's what you want to call them. Between the secondary's lack of coverage and the lack of pass blocking by our O-line, these games are very hard to watch. I'm not blaming everything on these two position groups, but in Beaty's third year, I expect a lot more than what I'm seeing!

#2020669 - 09/18/17 04:12 PM Re: Stanley=Cummings?? [Re: vmlb]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
How about just throwing it away instead of taking a sack?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview