Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020331 - 09/10/17 07:59 AM The game we forgot to show up
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
After sitting through the entire game yesterday, I didn't listen to or read 1 post game comment or story from any coach or anyone else. Got home drank a few beers and blew off some steam and watch the OU vs. OSU game, then watched the replay of the KU game on my DVR all in an attempt to be as objective as possible,

There was no fight from anyone on D. There was no inspired play on D by anyone. We looked like we basically had 4 or 5 players show up to play on the entire team in Dineen, Dom Williams, Deron, Wise, and maybe Adeniji. Couple other guys played OK.

Our OL is a complete disaster. With as much depth as we finally have there, there's no way in the world they should be this God awful. Ribordy did OK and Adeniji played well most of the game, but Frazier got his ass handed to him on every single play just about. Both OG spots struggled mightily all game long. Guys just stood upright and planted their feet in the ground and whiffed on their blocks. Run blocking was very poor overall depsite out improved running stats. Nobody got any push at all really. Pass blocking was non-existent. Bender was under pressure virtually the entire game and played like it. His game breaks down quickly once he gets some pressure on him.

WR;s didn't do much either. With as much talent and depth as we've got there, there's no excuse for how poorly they played as a group. They couldn't execute sh!t out there. No fight for the ball on poorly thrown balls. No blocking on the edge at all. Poor route running. A lot of miscommunication between them and Bender with the WR making the wrong read of the D more often than not responsible for that.

RB's played alright. Most guys ran well and did what they could with our poor OL play. A couple breakdowns on pass blocking, but overall they weren't the problem on O.

The DL is a joke. Armstrong is getting double or triple teamed on most all plays and is really struggling mightily to deal with it. I can give him a pass on that as this is the first time in his career where so much attention is being given to him, but the rest of the DL isn't doing squat to take advantage of the situation. Wise has his moments and plays well on most downs, but nobody else is doing a thing. The rest of them are getting pushed around at will on run plays and are getting manhandled by the poorest of OL on pass plays.

The LB's had all sorts of problems too. Dineen played well. He doesn't have the lateral speed of Heeney, but he reads plays well, fills gaps well and usually brings a good hit when he gets there. Lonecker has good instincts and tracks the ball well, but just doesn't have the size and strength to make the plays. He also struggles covering guys out of the backfield.

The DB's are non-existent. They couldn't cover half the HS WR's in 8 man ball in Western Kansas. There technique is crap. There speed is poor and their cover skills are a total joke. This entire group isn't FCS level much less poor FBS level IMHO. The only thing they do decent is run support. Otherwise forget about it.

Overall conclusion from me, we've got way more talent than it looked like yesterday but we don't have the mental edge. Not enough guys played like they wanted it and in some groups the coaching looks to be atrocious. No mental edge and bad positional coaching leads to the crap performance we had against an inferior team yesterday IMHO. The game plan on D was HORRIBLE. The game plan on O was alright, but the execution was maybe the worst I've seen since a couple of the coach Gill games. I looked on the sideline a couple of times and Meacham looked like he had a migraine from the totally sh!tty execution. One time he closed his eyes and just started rubbing the bridge of his nose in frustration. He was clearly just as frustrated and pissed as I and I imagine most of the KU faithful were.

Sure, we've got depth and talent issues at the DB group and perhaps at DT, and a lack of experience on OL, but not anywhere to the extent that it looked like yesterday. I put this squarely on the shoulders of the coaches and the lack of any guys stepping up on the field to become leaders. This game was a joke of an effort and this thing can come completely off the rails for the rest of the season if the coaches don't figure it out quickly and nobody steps up on the field to become a leader. That final part is why I think Stanley should start the next game. Kid is a proven leader on the field despite whatever physical shortcomings his arm may have compared to Bender. Stanley has some of that "it" factor and Bender doesn't from what I have seen so far.

#2020332 - 09/10/17 08:14 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I totally blanked on Schadler for some reason.

He showed up and played really well. Maybe played the best out of any of our WR's actually. He obviously showed his great speed on that reverse sweep, but I thought he also ran good routes and managed to get open more often than not.

Just thought I should give him his proper dues despite my initial oversight.

#2020334 - 09/10/17 09:58 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Wichita
How does a team with so little success not show up? They should be starving.

Also I don't get why the OL is so bad. They weren't that bad last year and KU did not lose much, right? Why didn't they try other linemen on the right side. I get that they want to keep chemistry from practice, but when the play is that bad why not give someone else a chance?

I guess the question is where does KU go from here? If there is not any improvements then this is going to be a long season. I could see more of the kids that have orally committed going somewhere else. KU has to do something to get this turned around otherwise they will be going backwards from an already horrible place. With that in mind is there any chance of getting this thing turned around this season?

#2020335 - 09/10/17 10:27 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: moose1

Also I don't get why the OL is so bad. They weren't that bad last year and KU did not lose much, right? Why didn't they try other linemen on the right side. I get that they want to keep chemistry from practice, but when the play is that bad why not give someone else a chance?
Exactly what I thought. Baldwin should have taken over the RT spot after halt time IMHO. The next guy in line should have been put in at both OG spots too, but they didn't do any of that until very late. We;re both deeper and more talented on paper on the OL, yet we played worse on the OL than any game I can think of off the top of my head from last year. Hell the OL from last year would have performed significantly better than the OL this year and it's largely made up of the same exact guys! That points squarely to this being a mental thing as much as anything else. They didn't play with an edge. They play with a fire under their asses at all. Nobody appeared to take charge on the field and become a leader.

In regards to the second part of your post, the players and the staff are gonna have to figure that out real fast or you're gonna be right. It's going to be a long year. There needs to be a serious mindset shift if they're going to prevent this thing from completely running off the tracks. But as far as it being possible that KU could take a step backwards from where we've been and are currently, I don't see it. Our roster numbers are a lot better than they were over the past 2 years or 3 years and that helps out a great deal. We could stay stuck in the cellar or move sideways some, but not backwards IMO.

1 of the main reasons a lot of people were getting optimistic about this year is because KU appeared to have gotten some mojo going over the last 3 or 4 games of the season last year. Well, that mojo has gone MIA so far this year and nobody seems to know where the hell it went or how it left in the first place.

#2020336 - 09/10/17 10:30 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
After sitting through the entire game yesterday, I didn't listen to or read 1 post game comment or story from any coach or anyone else. Got home drank a few beers and blew off some steam and watch the OU vs. OSU game, then watched the replay of the KU game on my DVR all in an attempt to be as objective as possible,

There was no fight from anyone on D. There was no inspired play on D by anyone. We looked like we basically had 4 or 5 players show up to play on the entire team in Dineen, Dom Williams, Deron, Wise, and maybe Adeniji. Couple other guys played OK.

Our OL is a complete disaster. With as much depth as we finally have there, there's no way in the world they should be this God awful. Ribordy did OK and Adeniji played well most of the game, but Frazier got his ass handed to him on every single play just about. Both OG spots struggled mightily all game long. Guys just stood upright and planted their feet in the ground and whiffed on their blocks. Run blocking was very poor overall depsite out improved running stats. Nobody got any push at all really. Pass blocking was non-existent. Bender was under pressure virtually the entire game and played like it. His game breaks down quickly once he gets some pressure on him.

WR;s didn't do much either. With as much talent and depth as we've got there, there's no excuse for how poorly they played as a group. They couldn't execute sh!t out there. No fight for the ball on poorly thrown balls. No blocking on the edge at all. Poor route running. A lot of miscommunication between them and Bender with the WR making the wrong read of the D more often than not responsible for that.

RB's played alright. Most guys ran well and did what they could with our poor OL play. A couple breakdowns on pass blocking, but overall they weren't the problem on O.

The DL is a joke. Armstrong is getting double or triple teamed on most all plays and is really struggling mightily to deal with it. I can give him a pass on that as this is the first time in his career where so much attention is being given to him, but the rest of the DL isn't doing squat to take advantage of the situation. Wise has his moments and plays well on most downs, but nobody else is doing a thing. The rest of them are getting pushed around at will on run plays and are getting manhandled by the poorest of OL on pass plays.

The LB's had all sorts of problems too. Dineen played well. He doesn't have the lateral speed of Heeney, but he reads plays well, fills gaps well and usually brings a good hit when he gets there. Lonecker has good instincts and tracks the ball well, but just doesn't have the size and strength to make the plays. He also struggles covering guys out of the backfield.

The DB's are non-existent. They couldn't cover half the HS WR's in 8 man ball in Western Kansas. There technique is crap. There speed is poor and their cover skills are a total joke. This entire group isn't FCS level much less poor FBS level IMHO. The only thing they do decent is run support. Otherwise forget about it.

Overall conclusion from me, we've got way more talent than it looked like yesterday but we don't have the mental edge. Not enough guys played like they wanted it and in some groups the coaching looks to be atrocious. No mental edge and bad positional coaching leads to the crap performance we had against an inferior team yesterday IMHO. The game plan on D was HORRIBLE. The game plan on O was alright, but the execution was maybe the worst I've seen since a couple of the coach Gill games. I looked on the sideline a couple of times and Meacham looked like he had a migraine from the totally sh!tty execution. One time he closed his eyes and just started rubbing the bridge of his nose in frustration. He was clearly just as frustrated and pissed as I and I imagine most of the KU faithful were.

Sure, we've got depth and talent issues at the DB group and perhaps at DT, and a lack of experience on OL, but not anywhere to the extent that it looked like yesterday. I put this squarely on the shoulders of the coaches and the lack of any guys stepping up on the field to become leaders. This game was a joke of an effort and this thing can come completely off the rails for the rest of the season if the coaches don't figure it out quickly and nobody steps up on the field to become a leader. That final part is why I think Stanley should start the next game. Kid is a proven leader on the field despite whatever physical shortcomings his arm may have compared to Bender. Stanley has some of that "it" factor and Bender doesn't from what I have seen so far.

Last weekend was huge... mangino and the hall of fame awards got the young guys juiced. No surprise some of that adrenaline was missing this week. They are just kids and they are going to have ups and downs because this is young team.
I agree it's up to the coaches and the team leaders to get them up. No question in my mind they gave 100%... they just didn't have that extra juice this team needs to cover up all the mistakes they are going to make. If it was a senior dominated team then I might believe they weren't giving it their all. This is just one game. Although it was extremely disappointing, it's not the end of the season. Let's see how they respond next week.
From my perspective, Bowen is on notice.... when you have inexperienced DBs, you need to apply pressure at the line.... if that means blitz then you have to take a chance.

Edited by track (09/10/17 10:34 AM)

#2020337 - 09/10/17 10:44 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

There is no way they were playing 100%. I just don't see it. I don't know why, but that the same time I won't put that on the coaches. At this level and above you either have that fire or you don't. It should not take the coaches to psych you up.

Hopefully they come out with their hair on fire next week. If an ass whooping like this doesn't fire you up, and inspire them to do better, than nothing will.

#2020338 - 09/10/17 11:14 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
track Online   content
gale sayers

There is no way they were playing 100%. I just don't see it. I don't know why, but that the same time I won't put that on the coaches. At this level and above you either have that fire or you don't. It should not take the coaches to psych you up.

Hopefully they come out with their hair on fire next week. If an ass whooping like this doesn't fire you up, and inspire them to do better, than nothing will.

I agree with your second paragraph..... totally disagree with the first though.

You think you are disappointed... pretty confident the team and the coaches disappoitment is greater than yours. .., they have way more invested.

So you are saying .... all decent college players are always fired up to the max....OU players should be just as fired up next week playing Tulane as they were last night playing Ohio State..... riiiiiiiiight!

Edited by track (09/10/17 12:12 PM)

#2020339 - 09/10/17 11:36 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
If the players are talented (they are), HC DB has to make the connection with them to understand the must win theory to keeping said coach. It's better to try that approach now for DB than wish he had tried it later when he gets replaced.

#2020340 - 09/10/17 12:03 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
track Online   content
gale sayers

It doesn't take a psychologist to see Beaty is extremely competitive and intense. Just a quick look at his face and you can see he is burning inside every time we screw up. Whether or not he can coach mistakes out of this team and get them to play at their absolute best is not clear. We have more talent than we have had in two years and next year we will be even more talented. Beaty needs to produce wins and prove he can coach ... and if that means demoting his friend and bringing in a new defensive coordinator then so be it.

#2020341 - 09/10/17 12:29 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Beaty may be constipated so it looks intense! Just a joke.

Seriously, I keep being reminded of Bud Moore, former Kansas HC, who also had a southern drawl. His teams were always having off days on the field. Certainly, Beaty has laid an egg against CMU but he still has time to prove he can coach at BG12 level successfully.

#2020344 - 09/10/17 01:22 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

well we showed up, but beyond that the team just watched like most in the stands. I would say 3-4 guys really wanted to "earn it". Other than that it was pathetic

PS. Does Beaty have to go back on Tweeter(LOL) and rescind all his "neat deals" when all the recruits bail? how does that work? Is there a recant button or a "Whoopsie" Button

Edited by Jman1 (09/10/17 01:34 PM)

#2020345 - 09/10/17 01:27 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

I guess the question is where does KU go from here? If there is not any improvements then this is going to be a long season. I could see more of the kids that have orally committed going somewhere else. KU has to do something to get this turned around otherwise they will be going backwards from an already horrible place. With that in mind is there any chance of getting this thing turned around this season?

Exactly.

I would have put Baldwin in at right Tackle, for ol "Mince Meat" Frazier, and I would have started Stanley at start of the 2H. Also would have pulled "Toast" Torneden and maybe put in a better option , oh, I don't know, the 5th baton twirler on the right. Loneker is not DI level, either

#2020347 - 09/10/17 01:40 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Jman1]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Prairie Warrior

If the starting O-Line for Ohio isn't LT Adeniji LG Rhodes C Ribordy RG Tovi RT Baldwin, it will be even uglier than it was yesterday. Tovi and Baldwin have to be a huge upgrade over Hughes and Frazier. They can't possibly be any worse. A new O-Line coach should have been brought in for this season as well.

#2020354 - 09/10/17 03:32 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
Lawrence Legend

Loc: Southeast Kansas
It's never as good as it seems, and it's never as bad as it seems.

#2020356 - 09/10/17 03:45 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

NO, it's as bad as it seems, and is. Don't try to get philosophical here powderpuff

#2020358 - 09/10/17 03:58 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Have now heard that some guys on the OL are complaining that guys aren't communicating enough and not making the right reads on the blocking scheme as a result. Can chalk that up to youth and/or lack of experience or coaching or both.

Have also heard similar stuff is going on in the secondary. Guys not getting the proper D called and guys getting out of position because of it, etc. But not sure if I buy that as their technique was horrible for the most part too. Lack of speed back there also didn't help us out any. I can see a lack of an upper classman in the secondary is really hurting us though. Nobody for the young guys to rely on to make the proper calls etc. Still think their technique was terrible too and that's on the DB coach as much as anything.

#2020359 - 09/10/17 04:07 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Yep it's the positional coach. Not DB

#2020362 - 09/10/17 04:13 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

Start at the top and sh!t flows downhill

#2020363 - 09/10/17 04:17 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said

#2020364 - 09/10/17 04:29 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jman1
KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said
Too kind

#2020365 - 09/10/17 05:06 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Obviously it ultimately ends up in the lap of the head coach. We're not at that point in time yet though.

The OL and DB's being confused and disorganized on what blocking scheme or pass D they're in or what read to make or displaying such poor technique, etc. falls directly on the positional coaches as that's their job, to teach these guys those things. Youth and inexperience almost always goes through growing pains of making these kinds of mistakes no matter what, but when it's as pervasive as it was yesterday I'd say the position coaches dropped the ball just as much as it was young guys making mistakes.

#2020366 - 09/10/17 05:21 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Is there ANYONE in the secondary who you think played ok or had the necessary speed to handle the job?

#2020367 - 09/10/17 05:21 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Kman, we rely on you to bring a little more sunshine in your post game analysis. I will throw in a few positives before I go into the negatives. Our running game improved yesterday and we out rushed CMU. KU 147 yards and CMU 123 yards. That 147 yards would rank us # 81 which is a big improvement for KU. We also were better than CMU in average yards per rushing attempt, KU 4.3 CMU 3.5. That 4.3 yards per rushing attempt average would rank us at # 63 which is an even bigger improvement than total yards. Beaty, Meacham, Hull, Yenser and the OL and RBs did a good job making our running game more productive.

We also were close to winning time of possession against CMU (KU 29:15 CMU 30:45). That was another big improvement from game 1.

Our DL did a decent job handling CMUs running game. They held CMU to 3.5 yards per rushing attempt which ranks our rush defense at # 57.

Here is another positive. The game was not as bad as the final score indicates. Follow my line of thinking here. If Meacham does not go brain dead and call that stupid fade route on 2nd and 1 and instead runs it in for a TD that would give us 4 more points. The final score would be CMU 45 KU 31. I hope yesterday taught Meacham that KU is not good enough for him to get cute with his play calling on the 1 yard line.

Speaking of things Meacham tried that did not work we should discuss when he tried to speed up our offense. The first time he tried it the players were disorganized and it was on a 2nd and 9 play. The result was Bender basically threw the ball away and Meacham wasted the play. That put Bender at 3rd and 9. CMU being smart brought the blitz. The result was Bender over throwing Johnson resulting in his first interception. If Meacham does not call that stupid up tempo BS maybe Bender does something positive with that wasted 2nd down play. That interception gave CMU the ball on the 50 and they promptly marched down the field for a TD. Without that TD the final score would have been CMU 38 KU 31.

After the CMU TD that made it CMU 17 KU 6 Meacham tried to speed up the offense again. Bender over threw his receiver Booker and it was another wasted play. Does anyone else see the trend?

Bender really started to come under pressure by CMU in the 2nd quarter. That shows a clear problem with our OL as Kman mentioned. Bender was under pressure when he threw his 2nd interception to Hampton. It was a perfect pass to Hampton but there were 2 CMU defensive players right there and one of the CMU players hit Hampton in the face mask. That is what I believe distracted Hampton and allowed the other CMU player to pull the ball away from him. I am not going to count that interception against Bender. That was on Hampton.

Then on the final CMU drive before halftime Bowen (and Perry?) went into the fetal position and tried to play prevent defense to protect their pathetic defensive secondary. It was another bad strategy decision and allowed CMU to quickly score again. With only 1:11 on the clock and starting from their own 10 yard line they marched 90 yards right down the field for a TD. If Bowen runs the regular defense then CMU would have scored at most a FG. That would put the final score CMU 34 KU 31. As you can see the final score is not an accurate picture of how bad KU played. It was however an accurate picture of how bad the coaching was by Beaty and his staff.

Alright now for the general player problems I noticed. Our DL cannot tackle after they apply pressure to the QB. Armstrong was not making tackles, Holani ran right by the QB. Even when our DL made tackles they lacked good fundamentals. Wise had that roughing the QB penalty because he tackled too high with his helmet which was reviewed for targeting.

Our defensive secondary is the worst. I could not believe that Bowen and Perry left Torneden in the game. Morris was just abusing him. It was not just Torneden either. Neal also looked out of position on a lot of plays. Our defensive secondary looks like it has not been coached.

Our OL was bad on pass protection yesterday and that is an area where Beaty said we have depth. That leads me to wonder if Yenser knows what he is doing. If Yenser cannot put a decent OL on the field then maybe it is time for a new OL coach after the season. The problems our OL is having with pass protection remind me of the Weis era.

Alright enough about this game. Time to move forward and prepare for Ohio. Lucky for KU that Ohio is not a big passing team. That gives us a shot at a win if Yenser can fix our pass protection problems on OL and if Williams can teach his DL how to finish out a pass rush and make a tackle. I do not have any faith in Bowen and Perry to fix the defensive secondary so we will just have to tolerate that weakness for the rest of the season.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/11/17 12:30 AM)

#2020368 - 09/10/17 05:42 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
John Brown

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Originally Posted By: Jman1
KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said
Too kind

I guess we can throw in that fool Stephen Colbert as the D coordinator, or maybe Mylie Cyrus(Sp?). Couldnt be too much of a downgrade. Have the peeps at KU ever ever heard the term" lowest common denominator"r?

#2020369 - 09/10/17 05:49 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Is there ANYONE in the secondary who you think played ok or had the necessary speed to handle the job?
Hasan Defense played relatively well and Mike Lee did alright. But when guys aren't playing with good technique or are completely out of position because they're playing the wrong coverage they all look horrible. Most often you can cover up 1 guy making these mistakes and sometimes you can get away with 2 of them, but when 2 or 3 are doing it on most downs, you end up looking like crap and giving up a lot of yards like we did.

We also seem to lack at least 1 guy with great speed out there who can chase down opposing players when others miss or blow an assignment.

#2020371 - 09/10/17 05:57 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

[We also seem to lack at least 1 guy with great speed out there who can chase down opposing players when others miss or blow an assignment.

Kyron Johnson has that kind of speed. The problem is he would have to use his speed to track down his blown assignments which negates the benefit of his speed.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/10/17 07:15 PM)

#2020375 - 09/10/17 07:35 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Leonard Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Damm skippy!! There's no excuse and its unpardonable. If a kid can't come out and play his tail off for 60 minutes of D1 football - then you've recruited the wrong player.

#2020379 - 09/10/17 08:58 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I have always said if you win in the trenches many of these other shortcomings will take care of themselves. I have been saying all pre-season that Tovi and Baldwin should be starters.

I have always been a supporter of Bowen, but have to admit that I agree with Kuco that he is not getting the job done.

There you go Kuco, one for you!

The fade on 1st and goal sucked!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Stanley is the answer. Is he healthy?

#2020382 - 09/10/17 10:49 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
I've given it the obligatory 24 hours. Most of my issues have been covered here.

How can a team with ONE P5 victory In over two years show up not ready to play on any level, emotionally, mentally, physically....This falls squarely on the coaching staff.

We complete one fade route every 15 years and it happened against SEMO. So we're 2nd and goal at the one and try a fade that is so badly thrown Harrell can't touch it with one hand, let alone catch it with one hand. They can try to scapegoat the kid for the false start on the next play all they want, but if they hadn't gotten cute trying the fade, they should have been lining up for the XP, not third down.

I wasn't expecting Todd Reesing accuracy, but some of these misses were just awful. Either some of the passes were way off target or the receiver and QB aren't reading the same cues. Regardless, its a coaching failure.

Air Raid is one thing, but every time we tried to speed up the action to catch CMU off guard, it invariably was a wasted play. Let's try to do the basics before we try the exceptional. It's like giving a freshman a scalpel and start teaching him neurosurgery on Day 1.

The other aspect is what a 1-11 or 2-10 record has on recruiting. Its a long time between now and LOI day.

#2020383 - 09/11/17 06:50 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Leonard]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Leonard

Damm skippy!! There's no excuse and its unpardonable. If a kid can't come out and play his tail off for 60 minutes of D1 football - then you've recruited the wrong player.
I read somewhere that CMU QB Morris was a five star HS player before sitting on MI bench for parts of his first three years after HS. Then transferred to CMU. Hey, if it happens for Morris after three years, perhaps some of our younger players will do the same someday!

I will be the first poster on here to congratulate the CMU coach for a overwhelming emotional win. His post game tv interview showed him damn near in tears over it.

#2020384 - 09/11/17 06:56 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: PbBut]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: PbBut

Air Raid is one thing, but every time we tried to speed up the action to catch CMU off guard, it invariably was a wasted play. Let's try to do the basics before we try the exceptional. It's like giving a freshman a scalpel and start teaching him neurosurgery on Day 1.

I hate that KU is using the Air Raid offense. With KUs lack of depth and experience it makes no sense to speed things up. KU should take their time and try to do things right. They also should be making the game shorter not longer.

#2020385 - 09/11/17 09:02 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Magicman Offline
Phog Fanatic

Whatever offense we run, you have to block. I saw very little of that on Saturday! I can only think of a couple times where I thought, Bender, hung on to the ball to long. I'm sure that most of the O-line had their problems, but it seems like Frazier and Rhodes had the most. The secondary was really bad and having no pass rush didn't help them any. The good thing is, I can't believe it can get worse than Saturday.

Edited by Magicman (09/11/17 09:08 AM)

#2020386 - 09/11/17 09:18 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Kman, we rely on you to bring a little more sunshine in your post game analysis.
Sorry to disappoint on this one, but there just wasn't much at all to be positive about in this one.

The 2 drives coming out of half time were the 2 best drives of the year though, so I guess we've got that going for us. Maybe we found some things on O we're really good at with those 2 drives.

My game analysis may have been influenced by my feelings after game 1 a bit. I had a bad feeling after the SEMO game despite us winning and it got reinforced after this one. Hopefully Ohio sticks to their M.O. on offense and we find a way to still score on their D. If that happens we've got a fighting chance I think. If Ohio comes out running a bunch of different sets on O and passing more then I think we'll be lucky to hang with them.

Maybe this part is for another thread, but here it goes anyway.

My biggest disappointment has been our line play so far on both sides of the ball and I agree with Bigdogjac that winning in the trenches can cover up a lot of other stuff. We haven't been winning in the trenches at all so far this year except on passing plays against SEMO. And as I refuse to believe our talent on the lines is inferior to SEMO or CMU, despite our being thin at DT, then I'm lead to believe we've got coaching problems and/or mental problems(making the right reads, knowing the blocking schemes called, playing with high energy on every down, etc.) at both position groups.

I watched the CMU - Rhode Island game and RI's DL had their way with the CMU OL for much of that game. I will say RI had some good DL(they looked a lot better than last year), but so does KU and we got handled fairly well by CMU's OL for the most part. CMU's DL played well against RI's OL, but not as well as they played against ours and it looked clear to me that KU has a lot more talent on OL than RI does. I didn't watch the Dayton - SEMO game, so I couldn't tell you how SEMO's lines looked against them compared to us but I'd like to think KU also has more talent on both lines than Dayton does and hence SEMO's lines didn't do as well against us as they did against Dayton.

In a way I might give them a pass at the RT position in that it looks obvious to me that Frazier just isn't ready to be a starter yet. He's too young and inexperienced and not physically where he needs to be yet. You could say the coaches had no way of knowing that for sure until he got into real game situations, but now it should be obvious and if they keep starting him then it's on them or they believe we've got absolutely nobody else who can play there at any sort of competent level which is a scary thought.

Bottom line though, until we get things fixed on both lines and find the right groups of guys to start on both lines we're gonna struggle. Both OG spots need to be reshuffled as well as the RT spot(start Baldwin!) IMHO. If Armstrong keeps getting double teamed on every play and even triple teamed on some as he has so far, everyone else on the DL HAS TO STEP UP and make plays to counter that. Wise does sometimes, but so far nobody else has on any kind of consistent basis.

#2020387 - 09/11/17 10:00 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Kman, we rely on you to bring a little more sunshine in your post game analysis.
Sorry to disappoint on this one, but there just wasn't much at all to be positive about in this one.

The 2 drives coming out of half time were the 2 best drives of the year though, so I guess we've got that going for us. Maybe we found some things on O we're really good at with those 2 drives.

My game analysis may have been influenced by my feelings after game 1 a bit. I had a bad feeling after the SEMO game despite us winning and it got reinforced after this one. Hopefully Ohio sticks to their M.O. on offense and we find a way to still score on their D. If that happens we've got a fighting chance I think. If Ohio comes out running a bunch of different sets on O and passing more then I think we'll be lucky to hang with them.

My biggest disappointment has been our line play so far on both sides of the ball and I agree with Bigdogjac that winning in the trenches can cover up a lot of other stuff. We haven't been winning in the trenches at all so far this year except on passing plays against SEMO. And as I refuse to believe our talent on the lines is inferior to SEMO or CMU, despite our being thin at DT, then I'm lead to believe we've got coaching problems and/or mental problems(making the right reads, knowing the blocking schemes called, playing with high energy on every down, etc.) at both position groups.

I watched the CMU - Rhode Island game and RI's DL had their way with the CMU OL for much of that game. I will say RI had some good DL(they looked a lot better than last year), but so does KU and we got handled fairly well by CMU's OL for the most part. CMU's DL played well against RI's OL, but not as well as they played against ours and it looked clear to me that KU has a lot more talent on OL than RI does. I didn't watch the Dayton - SEMO game, so I couldn't tell you how SEMO's lines looked against them compared to us but I'd like to think KU also has more talent on both lines than Dayton does and hence SEMO's lines didn't do as well against us as they did against Dayton.

In a way I might give them a pass at the RT position in that it looks obvious to me that Frazier just isn't ready to be a starter yet. He's too young and inexperienced and not physically where he needs to be yet. You could say the coaches had no way of knowing that for sure until he got into real game situations, but now it should be obvious and if they keep starting him then it's on them or they believe we've got absolutely nobody else who can play there at any sort of competent level which is a scary thought.

Bottom line though, until we get things fixed on both lines and find the right groups of guys to start on both lines we're gonna struggle. Both OG spots need to be reshuffled as well as the RT spot(start Baldwin!) IMHO. If Armstrong keeps getting double teamed on every play and even triple teamed on some as he has so far, everyone else on the DL HAS TO STEP UP and make plays to counter that. Wise does sometimes, but so far nobody else has on any kind of consistent basis.
I'm the sunshine-pumper now.

#2020389 - 09/11/17 10:48 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Let's not forget central Michigan beat OSU last year. ... they have talented athletes.
I rewatched the game last night. Yea , we sucked along the lines... including Armstrong at times but their QB threw a bunch of strikes at their receivers. He was very accurate. We have to put more pressure on the opposing QB to protect or inexperienced DBs if we want to stop anyone.

Edited by track (09/11/17 10:49 AM)

#2020398 - 09/11/17 01:14 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Let's not forget central Michigan beat OSU last year. ... they have talented athletes.
I rewatched the game last night. Yea , we sucked along the lines... including Armstrong at times but their QB threw a bunch of strikes at their receivers. He was very accurate. We have to put more pressure on the opposing QB to protect or inexperienced DBs if we want to stop anyone.
Yeah, they aren't/weren't a bunch of no talent chumps or anything, but they did lose something like half of their starters from last year and are breaking in a brand new O. Our D just played way too poorly.

I might rewatch part of the game again later, as I think we also suffered from CMU just being a bad matchup for us. Our probable best positional group is WR and theirs is DB. Our worst positional group is probably DB and they ran a pass first type spread O as their new O. Just a bad matchup and that could have played a part in the game going the way it did.

Still no excuse for our poor play, but just a thought after thinking about it some more.

#2020401 - 09/11/17 02:25 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Yeah, they aren't/weren't a bunch of no talent chumps or anything, but they did lose something like half of their starters from last year and are breaking in a brand new O. Our D just played way too poorly.

I might rewatch part of the game again later, as I think we also suffered from CMU just being a bad matchup for us. Our probable best positional group is WR and theirs is DB. Our worst positional group is probably DB and they ran a pass first type spread O as their new O. Just a bad matchup and that could have played a part in the game going the way it did.

Still no excuse for our poor play, but just a thought after thinking about it some more.

They may have graduated a bunch from last year but this years offensive line is heavily dominated by seniors....and that QB can flat throw the ball on target. I would trade offensive lines and QB with them in a heartbeat.

#2020403 - 09/11/17 03:37 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

If we don't recruit BG12 level, coach at BG12 level and don't develop BG12 level players perhaps we need to start with a better staff and HC? Just a thought...

#2020406 - 09/11/17 03:55 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm the sunshine-pumper now. Kuco you actually made me laugh, then you just couldn't keep it up on your next post.

#2020408 - 09/11/17 04:03 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Morris was impressive. He threw a real fastball and hit the catchers glove most every time.

One thing I noticed about our hurry up offense is that we took the play down to the last few seconds every time. Not sure what that was all about. Were we starting to panic!

#2020409 - 09/11/17 04:04 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: bigdogjac]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: bigdogjac
I'm the sunshine-pumper now. Kuco you actually made me laugh, then you just couldn't keep it up on your next post.
Glad you asked! Dgless21 disappeared, kman has been doom & gloom, so sure I'm the current pumper of a ray of sunshine.

#2020410 - 09/11/17 04:06 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

The latest game confirmed what I have said all along about the HS coach. Not ready for prime time.

#2020412 - 09/11/17 04:47 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I saw this mentioned somewhere else. But as bad as this team was through the first half, it was still just a 4 point game in the 3rd quarter. With a ton of momentum and balance both running and passing.

And then the defense just forgot how to play, tackle, etc.

That shows that they have some sort of resilience, and as kman mentioned, those 2 drives in the 3rd quarter were the best drives the offense had all year.

But still a disappointing showing. No doubt. And these kind of games will happen until KU football is ready to make the next leap. They'll show flashes, but they still aren't ready for the big leap yet. They will get there as this team is still very young and very raw in a lot of areas, but they will get there. It just is unknown when they will get there.

I expect a much different team vs Ohio this week. This team got a wake up call that they can't just show up and beat a team that barely squeaked by a FCS team. They have to show up every single week. They will not have fun practices on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Woodfin is going to ride their a** as is Beaty and the entire staff.

And health is an issue at the moment. The top 2 WR this program has didn't play much because of injury in Sims and Charlot. Taylor Martin went all camp with a knee brace on, then in the opener did not wear one and the result is a tweaked knee.

Armstrong just doesn't seem himself and neither does Loneker. Lee and Dineen are the only guys who have showed up consistently on that side of the ball.

#2020414 - 09/11/17 05:12 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: kylecof11]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
I saw this mentioned somewhere else. But as bad as this team was through the first half, it was still just a 4 point game in the 3rd quarter. With a ton of momentum and balance both running and passing.

And then the defense just forgot how to play, tackle, etc.

That shows that they have some sort of resilience, and as kman mentioned, those 2 drives in the 3rd quarter were the best drives the offense had all year.

But still a disappointing showing. No doubt. And these kind of games will happen until KU football is ready to make the next leap. They'll show flashes, but they still aren't ready for the big leap yet. They will get there as this team is still very young and very raw in a lot of areas, but they will get there. It just is unknown when they will get there.

I expect a much different team vs Ohio this week. This team got a wake up call that they can't just show up and beat a team that barely squeaked by a FCS team. They have to show up every single week. They will not have fun practices on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Woodfin is going to ride their a** as is Beaty and the entire staff.

And health is an issue at the moment. The top 2 WR this program has didn't play much because of injury in Sims and Charlot. Taylor Martin went all camp with a knee brace on, then in the opener did not wear one and the result is a tweaked knee.

Armstrong just doesn't seem himself and neither does Loneker. Lee and Dineen are the only guys who have showed up consistently on that side of the ball.

Good analysis and summary....worth repeating.

#2020415 - 09/11/17 05:40 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Online   content
gale sayers

If we don't recruit BG12 level, coach at BG12 level and don't develop BG12 level players perhaps we need to start with a better staff and HC? Just a thought...

We have mostly 2 and 3 star recruits with a couple of 4 star.... they need to become juniors and seniors with a redshirt year to be Difference makers... . same as many of the other big 12 teams. It takes 5 years for a recruit to be a redshirt senior. We are not even half way there under Beaty.

Edited by track (09/11/17 05:43 PM)

#2020416 - 09/11/17 07:49 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

We have mostly 2 and 3 star recruits with a couple of 4 star.... they need to become juniors and seniors with a redshirt year to be Difference makers... . same as many of the other big 12 teams. It takes 5 years for a recruit to be a redshirt senior. We are not even half way there under Beaty.
7 years of Beaty beatings. Nice

#2020419 - 09/11/17 10:41 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
moose1 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Yes it takes time, but it also means progress. Now maybe the CMU game was an brain fart anomaly game. If so it was a bad time to have agame like that. Anyway will see how KU plays against Ohio. If KU plays the way they did against CMU then we are in for a long season.

Let's see how they play against Ohio, but I think this is going to be the biggest game in Beatty's tenure.

#2020425 - 09/12/17 08:02 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Warren Beatty's tenure?

#2020530 - 09/15/17 09:29 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
HawksFB Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

There was alot in this thread, but didn't see it so correct me if I'm wrong. I was looking up and down the sideline all game when Frazier was getting beat, and Baldwin was not even dressed. Didn't see him anywhere on the sideline.

Did anyone else see him?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview