Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020358 - 09/10/17 03:58 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Have now heard that some guys on the OL are complaining that guys aren't communicating enough and not making the right reads on the blocking scheme as a result. Can chalk that up to youth and/or lack of experience or coaching or both.

Have also heard similar stuff is going on in the secondary. Guys not getting the proper D called and guys getting out of position because of it, etc. But not sure if I buy that as their technique was horrible for the most part too. Lack of speed back there also didn't help us out any. I can see a lack of an upper classman in the secondary is really hurting us though. Nobody for the young guys to rely on to make the proper calls etc. Still think their technique was terrible too and that's on the DB coach as much as anything.

#2020359 - 09/10/17 04:07 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Yep it's the positional coach. Not DB

#2020362 - 09/10/17 04:13 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Start at the top and sh!t flows downhill

#2020363 - 09/10/17 04:17 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said

#2020364 - 09/10/17 04:29 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Jman1]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Jman1
KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said
Too kind

#2020365 - 09/10/17 05:06 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Jman1]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Obviously it ultimately ends up in the lap of the head coach. We're not at that point in time yet though.

The OL and DB's being confused and disorganized on what blocking scheme or pass D they're in or what read to make or displaying such poor technique, etc. falls directly on the positional coaches as that's their job, to teach these guys those things. Youth and inexperience almost always goes through growing pains of making these kinds of mistakes no matter what, but when it's as pervasive as it was yesterday I'd say the position coaches dropped the ball just as much as it was young guys making mistakes.

#2020366 - 09/10/17 05:21 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Is there ANYONE in the secondary who you think played ok or had the necessary speed to handle the job?

#2020367 - 09/10/17 05:21 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Kman, we rely on you to bring a little more sunshine in your post game analysis. I will throw in a few positives before I go into the negatives. Our running game improved yesterday and we out rushed CMU. KU 147 yards and CMU 123 yards. That 147 yards would rank us # 81 which is a big improvement for KU. We also were better than CMU in average yards per rushing attempt, KU 4.3 CMU 3.5. That 4.3 yards per rushing attempt average would rank us at # 63 which is an even bigger improvement than total yards. Beaty, Meacham, Hull, Yenser and the OL and RBs did a good job making our running game more productive.

We also were close to winning time of possession against CMU (KU 29:15 CMU 30:45). That was another big improvement from game 1.

Our DL did a decent job handling CMUs running game. They held CMU to 3.5 yards per rushing attempt which ranks our rush defense at # 57.

Here is another positive. The game was not as bad as the final score indicates. Follow my line of thinking here. If Meacham does not go brain dead and call that stupid fade route on 2nd and 1 and instead runs it in for a TD that would give us 4 more points. The final score would be CMU 45 KU 31. I hope yesterday taught Meacham that KU is not good enough for him to get cute with his play calling on the 1 yard line.

Speaking of things Meacham tried that did not work we should discuss when he tried to speed up our offense. The first time he tried it the players were disorganized and it was on a 2nd and 9 play. The result was Bender basically threw the ball away and Meacham wasted the play. That put Bender at 3rd and 9. CMU being smart brought the blitz. The result was Bender over throwing Johnson resulting in his first interception. If Meacham does not call that stupid up tempo BS maybe Bender does something positive with that wasted 2nd down play. That interception gave CMU the ball on the 50 and they promptly marched down the field for a TD. Without that TD the final score would have been CMU 38 KU 31.

After the CMU TD that made it CMU 17 KU 6 Meacham tried to speed up the offense again. Bender over threw his receiver Booker and it was another wasted play. Does anyone else see the trend?

Bender really started to come under pressure by CMU in the 2nd quarter. That shows a clear problem with our OL as Kman mentioned. Bender was under pressure when he threw his 2nd interception to Hampton. It was a perfect pass to Hampton but there were 2 CMU defensive players right there and one of the CMU players hit Hampton in the face mask. That is what I believe distracted Hampton and allowed the other CMU player to pull the ball away from him. I am not going to count that interception against Bender. That was on Hampton.

Then on the final CMU drive before halftime Bowen (and Perry?) went into the fetal position and tried to play prevent defense to protect their pathetic defensive secondary. It was another bad strategy decision and allowed CMU to quickly score again. With only 1:11 on the clock and starting from their own 10 yard line they marched 90 yards right down the field for a TD. If Bowen runs the regular defense then CMU would have scored at most a FG. That would put the final score CMU 34 KU 31. As you can see the final score is not an accurate picture of how bad KU played. It was however an accurate picture of how bad the coaching was by Beaty and his staff.

Alright now for the general player problems I noticed. Our DL cannot tackle after they apply pressure to the QB. Armstrong was not making tackles, Holani ran right by the QB. Even when our DL made tackles they lacked good fundamentals. Wise had that roughing the QB penalty because he tackled too high with his helmet which was reviewed for targeting.

Our defensive secondary is the worst. I could not believe that Bowen and Perry left Torneden in the game. Morris was just abusing him. It was not just Torneden either. Neal also looked out of position on a lot of plays. Our defensive secondary looks like it has not been coached.

Our OL was bad on pass protection yesterday and that is an area where Beaty said we have depth. That leads me to wonder if Yenser knows what he is doing. If Yenser cannot put a decent OL on the field then maybe it is time for a new OL coach after the season. The problems our OL is having with pass protection remind me of the Weis era.

Alright enough about this game. Time to move forward and prepare for Ohio. Lucky for KU that Ohio is not a big passing team. That gives us a shot at a win if Yenser can fix our pass protection problems on OL and if Williams can teach his DL how to finish out a pass rush and make a tackle. I do not have any faith in Bowen and Perry to fix the defensive secondary so we will just have to tolerate that weakness for the rest of the season.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/11/17 12:30 AM)

#2020368 - 09/10/17 05:42 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Originally Posted By: Jman1
KU coaching staff:
Graucho Marx
Larry
Curly
Moe
Bob Uecker
Richard Pryor
Gene Wilder

Nuff said
Too kind

I guess we can throw in that fool Stephen Colbert as the D coordinator, or maybe Mylie Cyrus(Sp?). Couldnt be too much of a downgrade. Have the peeps at KU ever ever heard the term" lowest common denominator"r?

#2020369 - 09/10/17 05:49 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: track]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track
Is there ANYONE in the secondary who you think played ok or had the necessary speed to handle the job?
Hasan Defense played relatively well and Mike Lee did alright. But when guys aren't playing with good technique or are completely out of position because they're playing the wrong coverage they all look horrible. Most often you can cover up 1 guy making these mistakes and sometimes you can get away with 2 of them, but when 2 or 3 are doing it on most downs, you end up looking like crap and giving up a lot of yards like we did.

We also seem to lack at least 1 guy with great speed out there who can chase down opposing players when others miss or blow an assignment.

#2020371 - 09/10/17 05:57 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
[We also seem to lack at least 1 guy with great speed out there who can chase down opposing players when others miss or blow an assignment.

Kyron Johnson has that kind of speed. The problem is he would have to use his speed to track down his blown assignments which negates the benefit of his speed.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/10/17 07:15 PM)

#2020375 - 09/10/17 07:35 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: moose1]
Leonard Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Originally Posted By: moose1
There is no way they were playing 100%. I just don't see it. I don't know why, but that the same time I won't put that on the coaches. At this level and above you either have that fire or you don't. It should not take the coaches to psych you up.

Hopefully they come out with their hair on fire next week. If an ass whooping like this doesn't fire you up, and inspire them to do better, than nothing will.

Damm skippy!! There's no excuse and its unpardonable. If a kid can't come out and play his tail off for 60 minutes of D1 football - then you've recruited the wrong player.

#2020379 - 09/10/17 08:58 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I have always said if you win in the trenches many of these other shortcomings will take care of themselves. I have been saying all pre-season that Tovi and Baldwin should be starters.

I have always been a supporter of Bowen, but have to admit that I agree with Kuco that he is not getting the job done.

There you go Kuco, one for you!

The fade on 1st and goal sucked!!!!!!!!!

Maybe Stanley is the answer. Is he healthy?

#2020382 - 09/10/17 10:49 PM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Kman_blue]
PbBut Offline
Pure Jayhawk

Loc: 66227
I've given it the obligatory 24 hours. Most of my issues have been covered here.

How can a team with ONE P5 victory In over two years show up not ready to play on any level, emotionally, mentally, physically....This falls squarely on the coaching staff.

We complete one fade route every 15 years and it happened against SEMO. So we're 2nd and goal at the one and try a fade that is so badly thrown Harrell can't touch it with one hand, let alone catch it with one hand. They can try to scapegoat the kid for the false start on the next play all they want, but if they hadn't gotten cute trying the fade, they should have been lining up for the XP, not third down.

I wasn't expecting Todd Reesing accuracy, but some of these misses were just awful. Either some of the passes were way off target or the receiver and QB aren't reading the same cues. Regardless, its a coaching failure.

Air Raid is one thing, but every time we tried to speed up the action to catch CMU off guard, it invariably was a wasted play. Let's try to do the basics before we try the exceptional. It's like giving a freshman a scalpel and start teaching him neurosurgery on Day 1.

The other aspect is what a 1-11 or 2-10 record has on recruiting. Its a long time between now and LOI day.

#2020383 - 09/11/17 06:50 AM Re: The game we forgot to show up [Re: Leonard]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Leonard
Originally Posted By: moose1
There is no way they were playing 100%. I just don't see it. I don't know why, but that the same time I won't put that on the coaches. At this level and above you either have that fire or you don't. It should not take the coaches to psych you up.

Hopefully they come out with their hair on fire next week. If an ass whooping like this doesn't fire you up, and inspire them to do better, than nothing will.

Damm skippy!! There's no excuse and its unpardonable. If a kid can't come out and play his tail off for 60 minutes of D1 football - then you've recruited the wrong player.
I read somewhere that CMU QB Morris was a five star HS player before sitting on MI bench for parts of his first three years after HS. Then transferred to CMU. Hey, if it happens for Morris after three years, perhaps some of our younger players will do the same someday!

I will be the first poster on here to congratulate the CMU coach for a overwhelming emotional win. His post game tv interview showed him damn near in tears over it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Preview