Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2020131 - 09/03/17 06:02 PM Scouting Ohio
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I watched the Ohio vs Hampton game and have a few observations.

On offense they have a B12 size OL and they call mostly running plays. Their main RB is Ouellete and he likes to put his shoulder down and run over defenders. Ohio used 2 QBs Maxwell and Rourke. Maxwell likes to throw deep and is not accurate when he does that. It cost Ohio an interception and resulted in Rourke getting into the game. Rourke is faster than Maxwell and can run the ball. He showed skill on option plays. He made good decisions on when to pitch the ball vs when to keep it. Rourke has a decent arm when he has time in the pocket. When Hampton applied pressure and Rourke had to scramble his throws were not accurate. Their main WRs were Odum and White. White was a RB converted to a WR so he is more of a threat to dodge tackles after the catch. Overall they ran 53 times and threw only 19 times so they are the opposite of the KU offense.

The Ohio defense looked solid. They have a safety Hagan that was the MAC freshman of the year last season and is their version of Mike Lee. He is athletic and plays tough. Their DL looked decent and their LBs are good sized and like to hit.

It was hard to tell how good Ohio is because Hampton is so bad. They play Purdue on Friday so that will tell us a lot more about Ohio.

#2020135 - 09/03/17 08:16 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

So not a big difference but two weeks in a row our opponents get to sit and watch us play with an extra day of rest.

#2020155 - 09/04/17 06:47 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Last year Ohio's option offense killed us. Frank Solich never did give up his Nebraska roots on offense. Like I said in my earlier post I don't like our lack of speed on lateral pursuit. On the flip side if Ohio doesn't pass much that helps our secondary.

#2020162 - 09/04/17 11:56 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: 58hawk]
Goober Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

I don't know. Dineen reminded me of a lot of KU linebackers past. He was a stud! Loneker was no slouch. I'm Ok with our linebacker play. We'll see as the competition gets better.

#2020328 - 09/10/17 06:03 AM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: Goober]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Goober
I don't know. Dineen reminded me of a lot of KU linebackers past. He was a stud! Loneker was no slouch. I'm Ok with our linebacker play. We'll see as the competition gets better.
Linebacker play was horrendous against CMU. Overall lack of unit speed.

#2020349 - 09/10/17 01:55 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

I'll be the first to spit it. No Ohio scouting needed I watched KU for 2 weeks

Ohio 44
KU 20

#2020372 - 09/10/17 06:17 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: Jman1]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Kansas lost in Lawrence, 37-21, to Ohio, in 2016. Ohio is 2-0 all-time versus the Jayhawks, having also won at Memorial Stadium in 1967.

The Jayhawks have lost 44 consecutive games away from Lawrence.
Source: Local rag journalistic wanna bes

Nuff said

Edited by Jman1 (09/10/17 06:20 PM)

#2020373 - 09/10/17 06:23 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: Jman1]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
I am not confident we can hold them to 44 or score 20..

#2020388 - 09/11/17 10:42 AM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Ohio U is favored to win the MAC conference this year. I believe they are a nine point favorite next week over Kansas. Coach Solich will have his players motivated and ready to beat any BG12 team since his days at Nebraska went so badly as their HC.

#2020393 - 09/11/17 12:02 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Originally Posted By: KUCO_VOC
Ohio U is favored to win the MAC conference this year. I believe they are a nine point favorite next week over Kansas. Coach Solich will have his players motivated and ready to beat any BG12 team since his days at Nebraska went so badly as their HC.

Like ku, they lost last time out so both teams will be trying to turn it around.

#2020417 - 09/11/17 08:22 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Ohio hammered Hampton so no it's not a turn around for them. You are so naive

#2020440 - 09/12/17 03:37 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Actually Solich was fired after going 9-3 with a new AD who had a personality conflict with him. Solich interviewed here before and we missed out.

#2020441 - 09/12/17 03:52 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

What was the score on 9/8 against Purdue? Idiot

#2020443 - 09/12/17 04:08 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: track]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: track

Track I thought you put KUCO on ignore?

#2020450 - 09/12/17 06:32 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Has Ohio lost 44 on the road? Oh right they beat KU lately. Naive

#2020451 - 09/12/17 06:34 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
Actually Solich was fired after going 9-3 with a new AD who had a personality conflict with him. Solich interviewed here before and we missed out.
Yes, it went badly for him.

#2020455 - 09/12/17 07:31 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
track Offline
gale sayers

Has Ohio lost 44 on the road? Oh right they beat KU lately. Naive

I took you off ignore after the game ... hoping you might stop Posting idiot like comments but I see some things never change.

#2020458 - 09/12/17 08:50 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: 58hawk]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Last year Ohio's option offense killed us. Frank Solich never did give up his Nebraska roots on offense. Like I said in my earlier post I don't like our lack of speed on lateral pursuit. On the flip side if Ohio doesn't pass much that helps our secondary.

Ohio will be a good match up to see where we are. I agree with 58 that this will be a good test for our LBs to see how they do handling option plays. Ouellette likes to run over tacklers so he also will test the LBs ability to tackle a smash mouth running back. Ohio likes to run up the middle too so we will see how well our DL can handle that.

I bet Solich goes with Rourke at QB after how well he played against Purdue. He is decent at throwing the ball when he does not have pressure but loses his accuracy when flushed out of the pocket. The challenge is that Rourke is quick when he runs so Armstrong and Wise had better wear their track shoes. The Ohio OL will be a good test for our DL because they have Big 12 sized players on OL. If our DL fails to pressure Rourke then he will have a big day against our weak defensive secondary.

Ohio struggled to defend Purdues QBs who threw for 295 yards. If Purdues receivers could catch passes from Purdues other QB Sindelar their total passing yards would have been around 400. Purdues QB Blough had a big game and he was not all that great of a passer. It was more because Purdues receivers were wide open especially in the middle of the field. If our OL can provide some pass protection then Bender should put up big numbers. Purdue used their TE a lot against Ohio so Johnson will be a weapon for Bender to use in the passing game. Purdues 2 TEs combined for 6 catches for 172 yards and 2 TDs.

Purdue ran the ball for 264 yards so the Ohio DL was not so great. That should allow Meacham to balance out his run/pass play calling. Balanced play calling will give our defense more of a rest and allow Meacham to work on our running game. Odds say we lose to Ohio but I believe we have a punchers chance.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/15/17 08:22 PM)

#2020462 - 09/13/17 04:51 AM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: track]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

I took you off ignore after the game ... hoping you might stop Posting idiot like comments but I see some things never change.
Another poster calls you out as rip van winkle clone. Enuff said.

#2020505 - 09/14/17 02:44 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Did anyone else notice this ray of sunshine today?

In Keegan's article Meacham said, “We burned some plays on super-fast plays and just haven’t hit any of them,” he said. “Everywhere I’ve ever been, those plays are pretty good, but our job is to figure out what we can and can’t do as we go. Right now, I don’t feel like we’re great at that.”

Meacham recognized that when he tries to speed up the offense the result is a wasted play. This is good news for our offensive efficiency.

#2020508 - 09/14/17 04:28 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yeah I noticed it and glad to see Meachum isn't trying to force the offense upon his players. That is a Mangino trait....

#2020509 - 09/14/17 05:38 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Hopefully Yenser, Bowen and Perry also had epiphanies about how to fix the OL and DBs.

#2020510 - 09/14/17 09:59 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

We should be in for an interesting game. KU likes to throw and Ohio likes to run. Ohio has a better OL than KU. KU is more likely to throw an interception than Ohio. Ohio has fumbled more than KU and that is what led to their loss at Purdue. KU is better at stopping the run and Ohio is better at stopping the pass. Ohio is better at sacking the QB.

ESPN Stats Comparison
Offense.............................................KU.........Ohio
Pass Comp %...................................55.6.......62.5
Avg Yds Per Passing Attempt............6.9..........8.2
Pass Yds Per Game...........................343........197
Interception Thrown............................4............1
Sacks Allowed.....................................3.............1
Avg Yds Per Run................................3.7..........4.6
Rushing Yds Per Game......................110.........210
Fumbles Lost........................................1.............2

Defense..........................................,,,KU............Ohio
Pass Comp % Allowed.......................66.3.........45,8
Avg Yds Per Pass Attempt Allowed.....8.0...........7.4
Pass Yds Per Game Allowed................318.........178
Interceptions.........................................0.............0
Sacks.....................................................1.............4
Avg Rush Yds Per Attempt Allowed.......3.0.........4.1
Avg Rush Yds Per Game Allowed...........103.......155
Fumbles Recovered...................................2..........2

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/15/17 06:19 PM)

#2020517 - 09/15/17 12:05 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
Despite the numbers looking respectable on run D, those numbers overall make my stomach turn. I really just about got sick looking at them. There's no way this team should have those kinds of numbers after the 2 opponents we faced so far this year.

Man, I really hope this is just the result of having such a very young team still. Actually younger overall I believe than last year's team. Young teams can drive you crazy in their ups and downs.

#2020520 - 09/15/17 04:52 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Despite the numbers looking respectable on run D, those numbers overall make my stomach turn. I really just about got sick looking at them. There's no way this team should have those kinds of numbers after the 2 opponents we faced so far this year.

Man, I really hope this is just the result of having such a very young team still. Actually younger overall I believe than last year's team. Young teams can drive you crazy in their ups and downs.
The Beaty team shows some signs of quitting on him. So, yes the game tomorrow is a big deal for him.

#2020523 - 09/15/17 05:15 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: KUCO_VOC]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

The Beaty team shows some signs of quitting on him. So, yes the game tomorrow is a big deal for him.
And what players exactly are quitting on him?

#2020524 - 09/15/17 05:38 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: 58hawk]
Jman1 Offline
Phog Fanatic

And what players exactly are quitting on him?

Not so much sure it's the players quitting as it is "we have no effing clue how to do this and our coaches don't seem to be helping much". Have absolutely no idea why they didn't go to punch coverage, bump and run against CMU. Hell, it couldnt have gotten much worse, the kid threw for almost 500 yds, while our "Air Raid" offense rang up 360 on 62 attempts. Thats about 5 yards per attempt.

Maybe we should rename our defense the "Air Raid Defense" so opposing teams will be horrified to play us

Edited by Jman1 (09/15/17 05:43 PM)

#2020526 - 09/15/17 06:49 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: Jman1]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ohio Injuries - LB Quentin Poling (Team Captain) is questionable with a hip injury. He is a starter.

DE Sam McKnight is questionable with a knee injury. He is listed 2nd on the 2 deep depth chart.

RB A J Ouelette - I read something about Ouelette being dinged up. We will see if there is any truth to that. He only played 1 game last season due to an injury. He is a starter.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/matchup/jayhawks-bobcats-week-3-2017/injuries

http://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/ohio/91510

That should help our RBs.

Edited by pizzanbeer (09/15/17 08:13 PM)

#2020528 - 09/15/17 09:22 PM Re: Scouting Ohio [Re: pizzanbeer]
HawksFB Offline
Crimson & Blue Blood

Personally, I can't remember a time one of Beaty's teams felt slighted like their backs are against the wall like they probably do this week. Do they show up scrappy?

This has nothing to do with Ohio, but (also personally) there are no signs of Beaty's guys quitting on him. They lost. I watched the Rhode Island v CMU game end-to-end and went into Memorial confident they would beat the Chips. It's hard for me to think the players didn't have the same feelings watching tape.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview