Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2019439 - 08/08/17 04:55 PM Big 12 Coaches Talk
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Via Athlon.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/big-12-coaches-talk-anonymously-about-conference-foes-2017

"Athlon asked coaches in the Big 12 to talk anonymously about their opponents."

Kansas --

“They’re really not bad defensively because the end, (Dorance) Armstrong, and (Daniel) Wise at tackle are good players. The safety, Mike Lee, is very solid. So they’ve got three good players in the middle front of their defense who could play for just about anyone in the conference."

"I think David (Beaty) is doing a really good job there of taking a terrible situation and making it better incrementally. There aren’t any quick fixes, but I think there will be some improvement again this year. If they can win some non-conference games, get their confidence going, maybe they could take a step up to four or five wins and beat a couple teams in the league. Their talent level is getting better, they’re recruiting well for what they have to work with reputation-wise. They have a good location and good facilities, and he’s done a nice job kind of building a mentality there that they can get it done. That wasn’t a fluke when they beat Texas. You can’t just show up anymore and think you’re going to win."

"If there’s one negative, he’s had too much turnover on his staff, which is hard when you’re trying to turn it around. Maybe some guys left because he wanted them to leave. (Offensive coordinator Doug) Meacham is a great fit there. He’ll definitely be a good addition. He’ll have some ideas and do some neat things creatively and do the best he can do with his talent level."

"I don’t think they have a great QB situation right now. (Carter) Stanley played late last year and was scrappy and competitive and tough, but he was not a great quarterback.”

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2019449 - 08/09/17 01:13 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footba...llege-football/

Underrated and Overrated coaches talk on CBS. Beaty was mentioned as an underrated coach by another coach.

Underrated -- David Beaty at Kansas: "What he has taken on over there [is impressive] because that thing was blown up. The culture he is instilling, the fact he can be so upbeat, it's gotta be the hardest job in the country right now."

#2019452 - 08/09/17 03:32 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

As relatively fair as I think those anonymous quotes were in regards to KU, I still get the feeling they're underestimating our talent level this year. It doesn't read like they have a clue who guys like Bender, Charlot, Baldwin, Holmes et al. are.

Even though, we're still short a full roster we've got the best depth we've had in 4 years and the best talent we've had in about 9 years or maybe even longer.

#2019453 - 08/09/17 03:34 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: kylecof11

Underrated and Overrated coaches talk on CBS. Beaty was mentioned as an underrated coach by another coach.

Underrated -- David Beaty at Kansas: "What he has taken on over there [is impressive] because that thing was blown up. The culture he is instilling, the fact he can be so upbeat, it's gotta be the hardest job in the country right now."
Ahhhh sh!t! Now you've done it!

Now someone's gonna come along and claim they see another unicorn or something.

#2019456 - 08/09/17 03:40 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

In years past, this would've been us (first article) -- but Iowa State received this comment:

"They’re not talented at all on defense. Where they’ve struggled recently is to get those big guys up front. They used to have those 270-, 290-pound guys to play the two inside tackles, and they were hard to move around. Then they’d hit you with a couple guys coming off the edge. They just don’t have that right now — none of it, and you look at them in warmups and they don’t look like a Big 12 team. He has to change that, but he coached them as well as he could."

#2019457 - 08/09/17 04:21 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
Originally Posted By: dgless21
In years past, this would've been us (first article) -- but Iowa State received this comment:

"They’re not talented at all on defense. Where they’ve struggled recently is to get those big guys up front. They used to have those 270-, 290-pound guys to play the two inside tackles, and they were hard to move around. Then they’d hit you with a couple guys coming off the edge. They just don’t have that right now — none of it, and you look at them in warmups and they don’t look like a Big 12 team. He has to change that, but he coached them as well as he could."

that's really an ignorant comment coming from a coach. evidently, he hasn't checked their roster.

90 Joshua Bailey DL 6-2 288 R-Fr. Jacksonville, Fla. / Raines
92 Jamahl Johnson DL 6-0 314 So. Savage, Minn. / Prior Lake
95 Tucker Robertson DL 6-3 284 Fr. Simi Valley, Calif. / Grace Brethren

#2019458 - 08/09/17 04:45 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

By comparison -- KU has seven, KSU has eight, Texas has nine, etc...

#2019460 - 08/09/17 04:58 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

the point is that they do have bigs in the middle right now. they're still building depth, for sure. that's why placing them in the lower half makes sense. but like ku,
i look for the clones to beat a couple teams this year. they were very close last fall.

#2019461 - 08/09/17 05:05 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

You should hunt down that coach and tell him he's wrong because you looked at their roster.

#2019462 - 08/09/17 05:17 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
You should hunt down that coach and tell him he's wrong because you looked at their roster.

like the coaches poll, i suspect these comments are coming from people well down the totem poll.

#2019466 - 08/09/17 06:53 PM Re: Big 12 Coaches Talk [Re: kylecof11]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: kylecof11

Did you see the comment on CW above this?? Wonder if the same coach made both comments? Most agree with both assessments, then there's kuco.

Preview