Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2019297 - 07/31/17 07:49 PM The "other" DE
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
With fall camp under way, who takes on the "other" DE spot next to Armstrong?

Ehambe played well in the spring game, and he is a workout warrior.

McCaleb came in from NW Miss CC, and I haven't heard much about him.

Bean is progressing along and played a bit last year (although his weight at 207 is not ideal).

Long, according to Slant and others, has come along great this offseason.

Ash hasn't shown much in his 4 years here, but he played some last year and did decent against KSU.

Who you got opposite of Dorance at DE?

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2019299 - 07/31/17 09:35 PM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
schmuck34 Offline
John Brown

Loc: Kansas
Rotation with Ehambe leading the pack. I see Bean as a pure pass down speed rusher. Long has a legit shot at taking the job and should see the field plenty. TBD on Mccaleb.

#2019302 - 07/31/17 10:40 PM Re: The "other" DE [Re: schmuck34]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

The spring game and Nightengale's article lead me to believe Ehambe will be the other starter at DE.

#2019305 - 08/01/17 08:03 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Ehambe should be the other guy. And then you can have him slide to DT in passing situations and put Bean in there.

So for 2 downs, it should go Ehambe, Wise, Holani/Davis and Armstrong.

3rd and long could be Bean, Ehambe, Wise and Armstrong. All guys that can get after the QB.

#2019306 - 08/01/17 08:07 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I should've mentioned Simmons too.

I don't know if we've decided whether he is a DT or DE yet.

As pizzanbeer mentioned, Ehambe (and Maciah, Isaiah) gets a mention in Nightengale's article:

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/call-ni...fy-the-teams-u/

#2019307 - 08/01/17 08:12 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

I forgot to add Long in as well. I heard he's been making huge strides. He could also slide in that 3rd down pass rushing role.

#2019309 - 08/01/17 08:27 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Hopefully Coach Williams is a major reason in why Maciah and Ehamba are coming along so well.

I would love to have a DL coach that can help mold us some pass rushing, run stopping monsters.

#2019310 - 08/01/17 09:52 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
schmuck34 Offline
John Brown

I think with Long it would have happened regardless of coach. Very high caliber athlete who added to the size for DE to his already good quickness. Kid is a player.

#2019325 - 08/02/17 07:43 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: kylecof11
Ehambe should be the other guy. And then you can have him slide to DT in passing situations and put Bean in there.

3rd and long could be Bean, Ehambe, Wise and Armstrong. All guys that can get after the QB.
You're forgetting J.J. Holmes at DT. I think he's got legit NFL talent and should push Wise as 1 of our 2 best DT's.

I agree on Ehambe being most likely the other DE. He's been working his ass off and has come a long way. Though I predict Long is gonna be right on his heels and could surpass him by the end of the season. Long seems the most comfortable and excited he's been since arriving at KU. That kind of confidence along with his athletic talent can take a guy a long way.

We have a legitimate claim as having the best DL in the conference this year and one of the best in the nation. I'm very excited about most all of these guys as I think we've got enough quality depth to cover for any potential injuries. Not saying we wouldn't take a step back if one of our starters got hurt or something, but rather the step back shouldn't be a big one.

If things come together on D this year, our D could be fun to watch. Kind of like how fun it was to watch Mike Lee play the last 4 or so games last year.

#2019328 - 08/02/17 08:01 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I haven't heard what Ehambe's minor surgery was for, but I'm disappointed that he's going to miss 7-10 days (if I heard correctly).

Hopefully it doesn't impact his play much.

#2019330 - 08/02/17 08:04 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: Kman_blue]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: Kman_blue

You're forgetting J.J. Holmes at DT. I think he's got legit NFL talent and should push Wise as 1 of our 2 best DT's.

I agree on Ehambe being most likely the other DE. He's been working his ass off and has come a long way. Though I predict Long is gonna be right on his heels and could surpass him by the end of the season. Long seems the most comfortable and excited he's been since arriving at KU. That kind of confidence along with his athletic talent can take a guy a long way.

We have a legitimate claim as having the best DL in the conference this year and one of the best in the nation. I'm very excited about most all of these guys as I think we've got enough quality depth to cover for any potential injuries. Not saying we wouldn't take a step back if one of our starters got hurt or something, but rather the step back shouldn't be a big one.

If things come together on D this year, our D could be fun to watch. Kind of like how fun it was to watch Mike Lee play the last 4 or so games last year.

Yes darn it, I knew I was missing Holmes. But I couldn't think of his name right off the top of my head, and didn't want to go look at the roster. (KUCO kind of lazy right there)

#2019333 - 08/02/17 08:38 AM Re: The "other" DE [Re: kylecof11]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Yeah, no biggie. There's enough new faces/names in the program to forget exactly who they all are, but I think we'll be remembering Holmes' name before the end of the season if what I've been hearing about him so far is correct.

#2019342 - 08/02/17 03:44 PM Re: The "other" DE [Re: dgless21]
schmuck34 Offline
John Brown

I heard great things about Holmes down at Hutch. Had SEC schools on him but as we know most tend to limit JUCO #s and he was right behind the top ranked guys.

#2019359 - 08/03/17 06:16 PM Re: The "other" DE [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO

Yes darn it, I knew I was missing Holmes. But I couldn't think of his name right off the top of my head, and didn't want to go look at the roster. (KUCO kind of lazy right there)
Your post was good enough w/o kicking me dude.

#2019360 - 08/03/17 08:28 PM Re: The "other" DE [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Yeah, no biggie. There's enough new faces/names in the program to forget exactly who they all are, but I think we'll be remembering Holmes' name before the end of the season if what I've been hearing about him so far is correct.
kman & kyle calling me lazy? Another name calling post from kman...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview