Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2019119 - 07/22/17 01:46 AM Cole's (Hayden) Christmas in July
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I noticed Joe Dineen and a few other KU football players visited Children's Mercy Hospital Pediatric Oncology Center. They're redistributing some toys and gifts that were given to Cole during his battle with this horrid disease to other childhood cancer patients.

Here's the KU Athletics press release about it which also has the video there as well.

Nice to see some guys taking this kind of initiative and helping families and kids out a little bit while fighting this terrible disease. I know I wasn't anywhere near mature enough to have done something like this back when I was in school. Congratulations to these guys for stepping up!

#2019134 - 07/22/17 01:21 PM Re: Cole's (Hayden) Christmas in July [Re: Kman_blue]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
I realize I'm an old cynical bassturd like KUco and generally view pieces like this as fluff, but when KU Football gets its mojo going going, it starts producing guys like GilbertBrown, LTLevine, theNickReid, JonCornish, BrandonMcAnderson who have a certain Abolitionist spirit to em and identify w/ us IronArses. Guys who in the words of Coach Mase just 'get the job done' and represent what's good and decent about our little football club. Seems to me like DanielWise is heading for this group.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2019135 - 07/22/17 02:37 PM Re: Cole's (Hayden) Christmas in July [Re: John_Brown]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
I get what you're saying, but when I think fluff piece, I think more along the lines of something a lot more shallow than brightening up the day of a kid fighting cancer in a hospital. Something more along the lines of they spent the day reading books to school children or sacked groceries at the local Dillons. Again, I understand what you mean and I'm not at all saying anything about your point here.

If a guy can do something like visiting kids with cancer in the hospital and not have it make any kind of meaningful impact on him or at least mean something on some level, then I'm not sure what would or what kind of guy that is.

As far as guys getting the job done, I think we've got a few on the team now. The old school hard nosed blue collar type players you mentioned are still around (Lonneker Jr. comes to mind also), but this team has a different flavor to it than that. Maybe it's a result of the times we're in and how the game has changed or just having more guys with more outward talent on the team now. Maybe it's just more a reflection of the head coach? Not sure, but I think it's a little of all of that.

And Kuco isn't just an old cynical bastard. He's a pessimist of the most extreme kind. Going out of his way to turn everything and anything into a negative. Even inventing negatives if need be.

#2019145 - 07/23/17 09:57 AM Re: Cole's (Hayden) Christmas in July [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
I get what you're saying.... Maybe it's just more a reflection of the head coach? Not sure...
And Kuco isn't just an old cynical bastard. He's a pessimist of the most extreme kind. Going out of his way to turn everything and anything into a negative. Even inventing negatives if need be.
Nothing negative about you, however.

KU med center is a cancer fighting machine that is impressive to tour. Hundreds of beds & doctors ready to do battle in life's real wars.

Let's let the HC do some winning on the sports field as well. He gets plenty of pay that he earns by going to the med center with the players in tow. Part of his chance to positively represent the University for a change.

#2019149 - 07/23/17 01:42 PM Re: Cole's (Hayden) Christmas in July [Re: Kman_blue]
Leawood Offline
Abolitionist

Loc: Now, The Plaza
I like pieces like this. I'm looking forward to this season. Have a feeling like it will be like 1990. Gosh, I've been at this going on 40 years.

Preview