Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2019074 - 07/20/17 03:04 PM Improvement of each position group
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Thought it would be fun to look at each position group and predict were we can see the most improvement.

Offensive line-Think they will be the most improved unit on the team. Return almost everyone and Adeniji is an all-conference type player. Game is won in the trenches and we finally should start competing well up front. Ribordy is a stud and from nearby Louisburg. Hopefully we can sure up the RT position if Baldwin is in fact in some trouble.

Wide Receivers-Our WR group flashed some promise last year. Sims is a stud and has a ton of experience now. Quiv is a burner and can make people miss. Hope we see a healthy Booker. Had a sophomore slump last year but had some good plays as a freshman. Charlot in the spring game was impressive. This group of receivers could put up big numbers especially with the time the o line should give our QB. Big improvement.

Running backs-Losing Kinner will hurt but really like Herbert and Martin. Be interesting to see how Dom Williams and Matthews look in fall camp. I think this group will be improved due to the new additions and the better blocking they should get up front.

Quarterbacks-Will absolutely be better. Carter was our best Qb last year and he had a year to develop. But after watching the spring game, I think Carter will be backing up Bender. Bender made some great throws in that spring game. Hope he's a gamer.

D-line-Best unit on the team. Dorance will have a monster year and Wise will be a solid guy up front. With Dorance and Wise getting so much attention it should free up Bean, Davis, Long, and Ehambe to go one on one and get to the QB.

Linebackers-A healthy Dineen means a much more improved LB group. A lot of young guys got some experience last year and Loneker showed he could compete in the big 12. Dineen and Loneker should be a nice combination. I expect Feaster and Ogbebor to be big contibutors as well.

Safeties-Mike Lee is the most exciting guy on the team to me. Receivers won't be catching balls across the middle without thinking where is Lee. Love watching him play. Losing Fish hurts, but I think Tyrone Miller will be a good safety. I think we will be improved slightly here. Lee having a year to learn the ropes and Miller showed his freshman year, when playing corner, could make plays.

Cornerbacks-Biggest question mark on the team. Sounds like Hassan Defense will probably be one corner. Some young guys are competing for the last corner spot. Mayberry, Peterson, Ayinde, Chandler, Topps. Shak Taylor started against us a few years ago when he played for South Dakota State I think. Be interesting to see who plays at corner against SEMO.

#2019076 - 07/20/17 03:31 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
kylecof11 Offline
Max Falkenstien

Loc: Kansas
This is a good post.

Offensive line is finally getting to the point of being a Big 12 caliber line. Big guys.

Wide receivers will be interesting as there are 7 guys who you can plug in there and go. Sims, Quiv, Charlot are the top 3, but Schadler, Patrick, Booker and Harrell are definite potential playmakers.

Running backs with Martin and Herbert should be OK. I think they might try to RS Dom if they can to get him a little more bulked up. But the dude can play. Mathews is a complete unknown right now. If he plays, then this group is even better.

Quarterbacks will be a fun battle to watch in fall camp. It's going to be Stanley and Bender for the top spot, but Starks isn't a slouch either. But Bender makes throws that we haven't seen since Reesing.

DLine is the best and deepest unit. Some true playmakers in there with some big dudes as well. Wise might be most underrated guy in the conference. Dude is a stud.

Linebackers will be automatically better with Dineen like you said. Loneker was a nice surprise last year.

Safeties should be in good hands with Sims and Miller. Miller likes to hit guys and can make plays. Lee will be a big time player here for 3 more years. Will also throw in Torneden as he can be a good nickel guy for this team. Has put on some pounds and gotten even quicker.

Corners will be interesting. Defense is top guy like you mentioned, but Taylor is also going to be a guy who plays a lot and probably starts opposite Defense. Mayberry should definitely get some major PT. The corners are going to be small in both height and weight. Could get pushed around quite a bit. But I'm interested to see them because I couldn't stand seeing Ogletree out there. Talking smack all the time but got burned on a consistent basis.

#2019078 - 07/20/17 03:42 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Fuzzy's Taco Shop
Just because it wasn't mentioned: I can only hope Liam Jones is (MUCH) better than Wyman.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2019079 - 07/20/17 04:00 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Pretty good analysis!

A few guys I think will factor in to your position groups.

Frazier and Bragg on the OL I think will both be improved and help things out with the group. Think Durley, Tovi, and Hughes also make some good contributions. Hoping Tovi shows up big as that would help the OL the most IMHO.

I think Chase Harrell is gonna be big. Kid is an athletic freak who looked real good in the spring game too. Schadler got open at will in the spring game, despite getting lit up by Lee twice. I think he's also gonna make a lot of plays for KU this year. Patrick has been and I think will continue to be a solid reliable guy who'll get tough yards when needed. Finally, Kerr Johnson I think is gonna be another guy a bit like Quiv and Sims in that he's real fast and real elusive. May take him a while to get adjusted, but I think he's gonna make some similar type plays as those 2 have.

On DL, Holmes is gonna be another force. I think he's got NFL type talent and should help improve an already impressive DL. Also, Ehambe I think is gonna surprise a lot of people with his production. He showed some flashes last year and looked good in the spring game. I think he's gonna put up some numbers most aren't expecting from him.

I think the CB's are the biggest concern right now because of a lack of experience mostly. A lot of question marks here. Think we've got some good talent, but we just don't know if they're ready yet or if they are how steep is the learning curve going to be in real games.

Next biggest concern to me is the OL mostly because of the interior. I think Bragg is gonna step up, but not sure who else will. Hoping it's Tovi as I think he's possibly got the most talent at the OG spot. Some question at RT in large part because of Baldwin and also the inexperience with the other guys. Think Frazier has the talent, but lacks experience.

3rd biggest concern for me is the LB group. Mostly because of the inexperience of the guys behind the 2 apparent starters. Heard lots of good things about the younger guys, but they have yet to play meaningful minutes in games for the most part.

So nice to not be too concerned about the QB spot for the first time in about 7 years or so! I think we've got 2 very capable guys competing for the starting spot right now.

#2019083 - 07/20/17 04:27 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
jayhawkfan0710 Offline
US Marshal, Kansas Territory

Loc: Southeast Kansas
Thanks for pointing out about special teams. Liam Jones sounds like he will be a big weapon. I've seen some videos of him kicking on social media and he has a leg. Be exciting to watch him in game action. And Moos returns and was a good punter for us last year. Our coverages should be better with our improvement in depth across the board. Guys like Feaster, Torneden, Moore will be good coverage guys and will be fresh. The biggest question is Punt Return. Can we find a reliable guy back their who is also explosive enough to make something happen? Can't have fumbled punts.

I completely forgot about Harrell and Schadler in the WR group. There is a ton of talent there for Bender and Stanley.

Our DL is loaded with depth as well.

Fun times ahead for KU football fans.

#2019088 - 07/20/17 04:40 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

WR is crazy deep. Patrick, Harrell, Kerr Johnson, Schadler, Hartzog, Jordan, Williams, Hampton, Booker, Quiv, Charlot, and Sims...and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

I would hope Charlot can be our punt returner since he did it at Bama, if I remember correctly.

#2019089 - 07/20/17 07:08 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
What's the scoop on Baldwin? Grades? Rules? All of the above?

We'll be okay. Better than the last couple of years:

LT-Adeniji
LG-Rhodes
C-Ribordy
RG-Gibson
RT-Hughs

Bragg the main backup. But, honestly, Baldwin performing upto my expectations is the difference between 3-4 Ws and fighting for a bowl game against the Slavers.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2019092 - 07/20/17 07:54 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Heard with Baldwin it's mostly some personal discipline type problems. He's got trouble getting out of his own way it sounds like.

Also, believe Gibson retired from football due to chronic injuries. I think that's in part why they brought in Tovi as well as the corn transfer in Hannon.

#2019094 - 07/20/17 08:00 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: Kman_blue]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Heard with Baldwin it's mostly some personal discipline type problems. He's got trouble getting out of his own way it sounds like.

Also, believe Gibson retired from football due to chronic injuries. I think that's in part why they brought in Tovi as well as the corn transfer in Hannon.

I guess I missed it. It happens in this sport. I'd be fine w/ Bragg taking the spot. Nice to see the Husker/Tovi/Bragg fighting for the spot.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2019103 - 07/21/17 09:52 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: John_Brown]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I think OL improves the most. We bring in Baldwin who was a 5 star and Hannen as a RS Sr and Tovi both 3 stars on Rivals. QB is the 2nd most improved position because Bender fits our offense and will benefit from his experience. RB is 3rd most improved because Dom and Matthews will make an immediate impact but not quite as big of an impact as Bender.

#2019104 - 07/21/17 10:42 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: pizzanbeer]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
I think OL improves the most. We bring in Baldwin who was a 5 star and Hannen as a RS Sr and Tovi both 3 stars on Rivals. QB is the 2nd most improved position because Bender fits our offense and will benefit from his experience. RB is 3rd most improved because Dom and Matthews will make an immediate impact but not quite as big of an impact as Bender.
OL has the most need to improve - agree with that. No Quiv on punt returns also. It will be interesting to see if all areas improve. DL line will be strength, while secondary finds it's sea legs (meaning inexperience). QB question mark is not at all settled IMO

#2019105 - 07/21/17 11:28 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

In order to be successful, OL and QB need to be the most improved. Dom, Herbert, Oct, and Martin can all be successful if that OL does its job, and we have a QB that's a threat to connect on a big play.

We invested a lot of money in adding Meacham. I gotta think that the offense improves with him running the show.

#2019106 - 07/21/17 11:34 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: pizzanbeer]
track Offline
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas

Talk is cheap. Until we have a QB that can consistently move our offense, score touchdowns and win games, it's an unproven position. It's hands down the most important position in today's offense dominated games. Although I believe we have potential at QB, nothing has been proven on the field to date.

#2019110 - 07/21/17 01:58 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Keegan posted his two deep today.

Left tackle: first team: Hakeem Adeniji; second team: Antoine Frazier.
Left guard: first team: Jayson Rhodes; second team: Malik Clark.
Center: first team: Mesa Ribordy; second team: Hunter Saulsbury.
Right guard: first team: Larry Hughes; second team: Jacob Bragg.
Right tackle: first team: Charles Baldwin; second team: Clyde McCauley.

He has Bender. No note of Dom or Octavius, but otherwise nothing too surprising that I see.

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/keegan-...all-depth-char/

#2019116 - 07/21/17 09:00 PM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: dgless21]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Keegan posted his two deep today.

Left tackle: first team: Hakeem Adeniji; second team: Antoine Frazier.
Left guard: first team: Jayson Rhodes; second team: Malik Clark.
Center: first team: Mesa Ribordy; second team: Hunter Saulsbury.
Right guard: first team: Larry Hughes; second team: Jacob Bragg.
Right tackle: first team: Charles Baldwin; second team: Clyde McCauley.

He has Bender. No note of Dom or Octavius, but otherwise nothing too surprising that I se

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/keegan-...all-depth-char/

Keegan had Bender number 1 before he signed his loi.

#2019131 - 07/22/17 09:19 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: track]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: track
Talk is cheap. Until we have a QB that can consistently move our offense, score touchdowns and win games, it's an unproven position. It's hands down the most important position in today's offense dominated games. Although I believe we have potential at QB, nothing has been proven on the field to date.

Oh come on you stick in the mud. The purpose of this thread is to speculate about which position group will improve the most. Stop lecturing people and rank which position groups you think will improve the most and why.

I disagree that QB is the most important position on the field. What good is a QB without a solid OL? Not much as the Weis teams clearly showed us.

#2019132 - 07/22/17 09:32 AM Re: Improvement of each position group [Re: jayhawkfan0710]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
OL is my top choice to improve the most as it was the weakest link last season. We've got some different pieces to plug in along the line this time. Always been a Bragg booster. My least important improving group is the QB area. Less Quiv this season will be helpful-not a consistent set of hands on him. With a high priced OC this year, who knows? Don't write off this group just yet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview