Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2018883 - 07/13/17 11:46 AM Tom Herman saves Earth...
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
and other assorted predictions.

I just picked up a copy of Athlons and realized that TomHerman is a SuperHero. This member of Mensa, a mediocre former OC at IowaState and bonafide navel gazer (as are all members of Mensa by definition) comes to the University of Texas sporting a sterling 22 and 4 AAC record which is slightly better than Charlie Strong's 37 and 15 record in that very same league. (Nevermind, though, that UofH's last team under Herman went 9 and 3 while Strong's last two UofL teams went 23 and 3.) Obvioiusly, he has the recruiting chops and coaching know-how to alter the universal gravitational coefficient to turn that behemoth down yonder in Austin Tejas into a winner overnight.

Things are a changing in the Big 12. Biggest coaching changes since the 1998 season. OU sporting a new BarrySwitzer and UT sporting some sorta demi-god. Perhaps they're right and two new dynasties are emerging. Kinda looks to me like the 90s all over again, though, when guys like Coach Mase/McCartney/BucktoothedWizard dominated the Plains for a while.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

Edited by John_Brown (07/13/17 11:47 AM)

#2018890 - 07/13/17 02:00 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: John_Brown]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
i will not be shocked if coach snyder steps aside just before or during the upcoming season. sean may not be quite as effective dealing with the horns as the wizard has been through the years.

but yes, the blarney surrounding herman is only surpassed by that showered about strong.

#2018900 - 07/13/17 05:20 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: tmcats]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Originally Posted By: tmcats
i will not be shocked if coach snyder steps aside just before or during the upcoming season. sean may not be quite as effective dealing with the horns as the wizard has been through the years.

but yes, the blarney surrounding herman is only surpassed by that showered about strong.
that would be bazaar timing for him to step down then.

#2018903 - 07/13/17 05:38 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: 58hawk]
John_Brown Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Newton Kansas
Originally Posted By: 58hawk

Everything about these 85 y/os coaching football is bizarre.

Do ya'll think the Longhorn Network has something to do w/ UT's demise? The navel gazing needed to feed that monster is immense. Somewhere along the line these players seem to start to believe their own press. Neither Strong nor MackBrown seemed to be able to remind these guys that their job is to block and tackle and win football games under that spotlight. I'm doubting Herman knows any better.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk, Beat Mizzou

#2018904 - 07/13/17 06:14 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: 58hawk]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

coach has been setting sean up to follow him for some time now. remember how bo left wisconsin and bobby walked at tech? don't be surprised if bill snyder does the same. it may be an easy and appropriate choice given his cancer fight, '58.

#2018905 - 07/13/17 07:07 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: tmcats]
INation Offline
Thunderhawk

coach has been setting sean up to follow him for some time now. remember how bo left wisconsin and bobby walked at tech? don't be surprised if bill snyder does the same. it may be an easy and appropriate choice given his cancer fight, '58.

How long has he been setting up Sean and how much long will it take? Why is it taking this long?

#2018915 - 07/14/17 09:33 AM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: INation]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

coach is on the top of his game and has a potential championship team coming this fall. why would he leave, when he loves it and k-state fans adore him?

he didn't get along with our former a.d., john currie. when john left for tennessee, coach was freed from the reality that john would never have named sean head coach. currie would have gone after venables or more likely named jim leavitt to follow snyder.

with that and his cancer, coach now has choices available and good reason to hang it up. whether he does or not is completely up to him. i suspect it's all a matter of his health this summer. last i spoke with him, he looked like crap but was sharp as a tack.

#2018916 - 07/14/17 09:49 AM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: tmcats]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
coach is on the top of his game and has a potential championship team coming this fall

You lost me already.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2018917 - 07/14/17 11:17 AM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
coach is on the top of his game and has a potential championship team coming this fall

You lost me already.

i'm not sure which fact you're taking issue with?

#2018918 - 07/14/17 11:39 AM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Snyder isn't at the top of his game; he had top 10 teams for 4-5 straight years in the late 90s. His recent teams don't finished ranked.

While you have potential, it is very small, and if you did somehow manage to get to the big 12 championship and win (also unlikely), you'd be in that similar position where Snyder doesn't do well in bowl games/postseason.

You lost me as a reader because your introductory sentence was dumb.

#2018919 - 07/14/17 11:50 AM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

snyder just thumped aTm in a bowl game, brings back a ton of talent and vet qb to make a run at the league championship. media members have picked the cats as well. stop acting like you know football. it's obvious you're in a phog.

#2018920 - 07/14/17 01:22 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I notice you didn't comment on how Snyder was at the top of his game. I assume you'll take that 'L.'

You beat an unranked team by 5 points in a no name bowl last year. Congrats?

I see a single media member voted KSU would win the big 12. I assume it's a purple blow hard like yourself.

You lost, arguably, your two best defensive players off a defense that finished 108th in passing defense. Reggie was good, but will he produce when they're not focused on Willis and Lee? What stops the pass this year?

A handful of other teams--OU, OSU, WVU, TCU, Baylor come to mind--return a vet QB and "talent," so forgive me for not buying into another year of your BS.

#2018921 - 07/14/17 02:26 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: dgless21
I notice you didn't comment on how Snyder was at the top of his game. I assume you'll take that 'L.'

You beat an unranked team by 5 points in a no name bowl last year. Congrats?

I see a single media member voted KSU would win the big 12. I assume it's a purple blow hard like yourself.

You lost, arguably, your two best defensive players off a defense that finished 108th in passing defense. Reggie was good, but will he produce when they're not focused on Willis and Lee? What stops the pass this year?

A handful of other teams--OU, OSU, WVU, TCU, Baylor come to mind--return a vet QB and "talent," so forgive me for not buying into another year of your BS.
You are so realistic when talking about KSU. Almost makes me want to believe your other BS.

#2018922 - 07/14/17 02:34 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: John_Brown]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

That's okay. I'm still basically the board's equivalent of a unicorn mixed with a pegasus. I'll survive.

I'm fuc|king awesome, bro.

#2018923 - 07/14/17 02:40 PM Re: Tom Herman saves Earth... [Re: John_Brown]
KUCO_VOC Online   happy
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Thinking more like a unicorn mixed with a Taurus. Ford Taurus...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Preview