Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2018777 - 07/08/17 02:52 PM Offensive Tempo
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

What do you expect to see Meacham do with our offensive tempo? Since our LBs, CBs and Safetys don't have as much experience this season I expect to see him slow it down a little. That will give our defense some time to catch their breath. I don't think we can win a football track meet against TT.

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/08/17 03:28 PM)

#2018781 - 07/08/17 04:56 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
bigdogjac Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Oklahoma
I don't think he will slow down anything. He is all in on the up temp offense. I'm all in for it. Hopefully we have recruited well enough and matured enough to compete.

#2018782 - 07/08/17 06:20 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
Just whatever the defense dictates. We need to score often if we can.

#2018786 - 07/08/17 07:26 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: 58hawk]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: 58hawk
We need to score often if we can.
I agree, score often if we can. If we win 59-57 all games this year, I will be happy.

#2018787 - 07/08/17 07:39 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
I guess it depends on the offense. Our problem last year wasn't the pace (I believe we ranked 52nd).

We ranked 108th in three and outs. We went three and out on 25.56% of our drives. We had 38.89 percent of our drives end in three plays or less (without points) -119th place.

That's NEVER, EVER, EVER going to work for a winning team.

Link:
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/6...son-north-texas

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2018788 - 07/08/17 08:22 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

Originally Posted By: dgless21
I guess it depends on the offense. Our problem last year wasn't the pace (I believe we ranked 52nd).

We ranked 108th in three and outs. We went three and out on 25.56% of our drives. We had 38.89 percent of our drives end in three plays or less (without points) -119th place.

That's NEVER, EVER, EVER going to work for a winning team.

Link:
https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/6...son-north-texas

Adjustedstats.com rates us 19th fastest in Time Per Offensive Play (TPP = 20.13 seconds) and 23rd in Adjusted Time Per Offensive Play (ATPP = 20.09 seconds) for the 2016 season. We ranked 4th in the Big 12 behind Baylor, Texas and TCU for TPP and ATPP. Where are you getting your 52nd ranking for pace?

http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/cfbpace.php

I agree that it does not matter if the offense usually goes 3 and out. Let's hope the offense can sustain drives this season. If that is the case do you run the plays at a fast pace or do you slow down some to let you defense catch their breath?

Edited by pizzanbeer (07/08/17 09:06 PM)

#2018789 - 07/08/17 09:24 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

#2018792 - 07/08/17 11:23 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: dgless21]
pizzanbeer Offline
Max Falkenstien

I checked the spreadsheet attached to the article and those stats are not for the whole season. The date of the article is Nov. 7th so the stats are good through that date. The stats I linked are for the whole season minus the Univ. of Rhode Island stats because URI is not an FBS school.

Provided we can sustain drives do you think Meacham slows down the pace to give the KU defense more of a rest?

#2018793 - 07/09/17 02:50 AM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
EstebanBugatti Offline
Prairie Warrior

Go as fast as possible so the other team's defense can't catch their breath. The best way to help our D is to score as many points as they possibly can.

#2018794 - 07/09/17 06:29 AM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: EstebanBugatti]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: EstebanBugatti
Go as fast as possible so the other team's defense can't catch their breath. The best way to help our D is to score as many points as they possibly can.
Alabama and Stanford slowed down the pace between plays ranking 82nd and 128th, respectively. So speeding up the offensive pace as you propose, is to do what's contrary at two pretty good football programs. According to the linky document provided above. Stanford ranked dead last in the P5 chart details btw.

#2018795 - 07/09/17 06:37 AM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: EstebanBugatti]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

That only works if you can consistently get 1st downs. Otherwise, it is our defense that won't be able to catch their breath.

#2018797 - 07/09/17 11:17 AM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer
Provided we can sustain drives do you think Meacham slows down the pace to give the KU defense more of a rest?

I'd say no. No matter which site you look at, TCU (with Meacham OC) was right there with us on pace.

We have less talent than most of the big 12 (similar to TCU). Giving the opposing defense a chance to rest, substitute, call plays, etc doesn't really benefit our offense.

We want to help our defense, sure, but if they're not good enough to help us win the game, it usually won't matter whether the offense plays fast or slow. Much like the offense has to get first downs, defense just has to get stops. Go out, make three consecutive plays, go sit back down with some gatorade.

Bowen, Perry, Woodfin, etc. know our offensive mindset. Get the defense prepared for it.

#2018798 - 07/09/17 12:29 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: dgless21]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Originally Posted By: dgless21
Originally Posted By: pizzanbeer

I'd say no. No matter which site you look at, TCU (with Meacham OC) was right there with us on pace.

We have less talent than most of the big 12 (similar to TCU). Giving the opposing defense a chance to rest, substitute, call plays, etc doesn't really benefit our offense.

We want to help our defense, sure, but if they're not good enough to help us win the game, it usually won't matter whether the offense plays fast or slow. Much like the offense has to get first downs, defense just has to get stops. Go out, make three consecutive plays, go sit back down with some gatorade.

Bowen, Perry, Woodfin, etc. know our offensive mindset. Get the defense prepared for it.
If our offense is slower, then our d gets a breather. I don't want to get the coach fired after losing sooner than later. Give the guy a break!!

#2018799 - 07/09/17 01:24 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: pizzanbeer]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

You're an idiot.

#2018800 - 07/09/17 02:39 PM Re: Offensive Tempo [Re: JimWest]
vmlb Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: JimWest

That only works if you can consistently get 1st downs. Otherwise, it is our defense that won't be able to catch their breath.

He!! has frozen over, cause I'm agreeing with Jimmy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Preview