Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2018509 - 06/27/17 12:59 PM New article on KU to Big10
Topcitykid10 Offline
Phog Fanatic

Loc: Kansas
I've always thought this for a few years now but Dodd makes a good point with last weeks announcement.

KU @ the Big House or the Horseshoe. Or trips to the Chi to see them play at Northwestern! Count me in.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-footbal...-its-out-there/

#2018512 - 06/27/17 01:32 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
I like this about the stadium: "There may be a naming rights deal in the works that could be worth eight or nine figures."

I think and hope the B1G is the best destination option if the Big 12 fails.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath. 2025 is almost guaranteed the soonest anything happens. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig team that tries to break the GoR with the conference and finds out the financial punishment for leaving. Unless Texas makes a move with their nearly top revenue, I would wager that no one else tests the waters.

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2018515 - 06/27/17 02:18 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: dgless21
I like this about the stadium: "There may be a naming rights deal in the works that could be worth eight or nine figures."

I think and hope the B1G is the best destination option if the Big 12 fails.

However, I wouldn't hold my breath. 2025 is almost guaranteed the soonest anything happens. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig team that tries to break the GoR with the conference and finds out the financial punishment for leaving. Unless Texas makes a move with their nearly top revenue, I would wager that no one else tests the waters.

KU and OU, or UT leave and the conference dies. There's an easy supermajority of other schools that will bail too and vote for dissolution. No one will want to stay after that except for Baylor and TCU because they don't have anywhere else to go.

#2018516 - 06/27/17 02:30 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

I agree that it dies figuratively. The teams could vote for dissolution and let us go, or they could decide to sue for breach of contract as the three most lucrative teams look to leave.

I just don't see KU making that move unless we know what the buyout is (or isn't) to leave, in this case, for the B1G.

#2018517 - 06/27/17 03:04 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: dgless21]
kylecof11 Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I'm all for Sprint Stadium at Memorial or something like that. Lol

#2018523 - 06/27/17 03:43 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: kylecof11]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: kylecof11

I'm all for Sprint Stadium at Memorial or something like that. Lol

Louise's - half off schooners - Bowl. Catchy. topchitykid - dam man how many posts do you do on the half dozen boards out there?

#2018524 - 06/27/17 04:12 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

I agree that it dies figuratively.

There's nothing figurative about it. The remnants of the conference have no product left to sell and the schools that have any value will immediately be looking for new homes too. The conference will be dead.

Quote:
The teams could vote for dissolution and let us go, or they could decide to sue for breach of contract as the three most lucrative teams look to leave.

The 2 teams remaining won't have any sway or ability to stop it.

Quote:
I just don't see KU making that move unless we know what the buyout is (or isn't) to leave, in this case, for the B1G.

Staying in the Truckstop 10 only hurts KU in the long run. The death of this conference is inevitable. We can accelerate it and control our destiny. If we wait for others to go, we will be one of the teams scrambling and hoping for a spot in a new conference.

#2018531 - 06/27/17 07:02 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

If KU, UT, and OU all find homes elsewhere, you still have seven schools that will pursue financial damages, and your suggestion that the big 12 dissolves is only a theory. Even if the others are scrambling to find a new home, that and suing are not mutually exclusive.

By no means am I saying I'd be against us leaving today or next year, I just don't expect it to happen. I also don't expect us to do anything without someone else making a move first. Let's remember who the AD is when we're making these hypotheticals.

#2018533 - 06/27/17 07:20 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

If KU, UT, and OU all find homes elsewhere, you still have seven schools that will pursue financial damages,

lol

That's the point - no, they won't. It is way more important for them to find a home in a decent conference than to take a GOR payout while they waste away in the skeleton Big 12. If 2 or more of KU, OU, and UT leaves, the remaining decent schools will forego their claims to the GOR payout in favor of landing in a good conference themselves. They can't do both. The GOR pays out per year.

Quote:
and your suggestion that the big 12 dissolves is only a theory.

Yeah, like evolution and gravity are theories.

Quote:
Even if the others are scrambling to find a new home, that and suing are not mutually exclusive.

lol

It actually is, try reading. They can only make a claim to the GOR payout if they are still in the conference. The GOR is purposefully built to preclude any additional punitive or realized damages claims. It's, you know, the whole point of the contract.

Quote:
By no means am I saying I'd be against us leaving today or next year, I just don't expect it to happen. I also don't expect us to do anything without someone else making a move first. Let's remember who the AD is when we're making these hypotheticals.

KU has a storied history of cowards as administrators.

#2018538 - 06/27/17 07:29 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
58hawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: KCMO
"KU has a storied history of cowards as administrators."

Smartest thing you've said in quite awhile.

#2018543 - 06/27/17 07:38 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: 58hawk]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Originally Posted By: 58hawk
"KU has a storied history of cowards as administrators."

Smartest thing you've said in quite awhile.

Chalmers should never have had a building named after him.

#2018548 - 06/27/17 07:42 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
Kman_blue Online   content
Wilt Chamberlain

UT isn't going anywhere unless they absolutely have to, so you can take them out of the equation of "if so and so leaves the conference is dead". They aren't leaving.

I also don't think anything is going to happen until we're within a year or so of the end of the GoR, that is if anything happens.

Not sure what viable options there are for a lot of the other schools to land in another P5 conference, so I think there's a good chance the Big 12 would live on with the remaining schools adding the best of the best of the current non-P5 schools and making a push to remain a P5 conference. Remember a few years ago when the Mountain West was making a serious case to become a P5 level conference until some of their best schools were picked off by P5 conferences. I'd think even a skeleton of the current Big 12 would have a good case of remaining a P5 level conference.

#2018556 - 06/27/17 08:36 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
dgless21 Offline
Local Deity

Right. They could add others. It just makes the remaining schools have a harder time proving damages.

#2018557 - 06/27/17 08:38 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: dgless21]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

Right. They could add others. It just makes the remaining schools have a harder time proving damages.

The damages are the built-in penalty in the GOR. That's the whole damn point.

Why on Earth would any school ever sign the GOR if it had a penalty to leave AND they faced additional liability for leaving? That makes absolutely no sense and it isn't how it is written. Stay in school.

#2018559 - 06/27/17 09:11 PM Re: New article on KU to Big10 [Re: Topcitykid10]
JimWest Offline
))<>((

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19743196/why-2023-next-big-date-conference-shuffling

Stadium renovation on a 3 year timeline is no coincidence. We will see more power conference realignment before 2021.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Preview