Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#15023 - 06/02/12 10:21 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? * [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
badair Offline
Prairie Warrior

Loc: Topeka
We could and we could also make Potters Lake the home of our swim team (once we remove the snapping turtles!). On the other hand I fail to see any great gain by removing the track from the stadium where Wes Santee, Al Oerter, Bill Neider, Billy Mills and dozens of other national and world champions added to KU's history in track and field. If we need to increase the fan capacity because of our "new" football promise I'm sure that a few elevators and engineers would be up to the task without ripping up the track. As for me I'm getting too old to park eight blocks away and limping into the stadium. I'd rather see us buy a few houses north of the stadium and convert them into parking for both football and track events. On the other hand I have been looking at a cross-country wheel chair which can jump curbs and climb stadium steps so if you're bound and determined to tear up the track I guess I could park down at AFH and still see most of the game.

#15024 - 06/06/12 09:48 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: badair]
Kuray Offline
Junior Jayhawk

Loc: Flatlander
It is still interesting that so many of the track folks keep talking about moving the program out of the stadium. It looks like there is a clear difference of opinion between the old guys and our younger group. I don't think anything has changed from the engineering finding a few years ago addressing the problem of the floor of the stadium is on bed rock and sits on a water table. I personally don't have a huge problem of having a track and field facility away from the stadium but there is no plan at the present. The last meeting with Lew before he "left" was his plan to build over on the West Campus. At least there was space. His plan was a ten thousand seat stadium available to be expanded if the need arises. The plan was like the Texas track where it would accommodate both track and soccer. No one I know has had a conversation with the new AD about this subject. For now, the track program will be in the stadium. The relays the past two years with events down town have been a success. I personally enjoy the relays being held in the stadium but then again, football and track here at KU don't blend. I am waiting to hear from the AD on this subject.

#15025 - 06/13/12 03:38 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Kuray]
rockymtnjhawk Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Colorado
Imagine how cool it would be to sit in the stands of a new track only facility and watch everything on the track plus all the throws?

Take advantage of the opportunity and get first rate surface that drains properly and allows for USATF meets. KU needs a track in meters and nine lanes. Having the shot, discus, javelin, and hammer in the stadium would be better for the viewer too.

I was always a track guy, but as an official, I have come to love the hammer and javelin!

I've been studying various track only facilities and more than ever think this is the way for KU to go.

As far as the football stadium goes, it needs more help than to remove the track. If we are going to whine about the track for football, then let's not stop there. The place is a dump and a crappy view. Scrape it and start over. Rebuild a tight stadium with private suites and a stacked upper deck to keep the noise in. Keep the south end open to view the hill.

#15026 - 06/18/12 12:12 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: rockymtnjhawk]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I think an oval track is kind a throwback to bygone eras; there is no real reason for them to ALL by thusly shaped. I'd like to see a new KU facility with a pie-shaped track.

#15027 - 06/22/12 12:48 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
Frankenhawk Offline
Phog Fanatic

Quote:

I think an oval track is kind a throwback to bygone eras; there is no real reason for them to ALL by thusly shaped. I'd like to see a new KU facility with a pie-shaped track.

Pi shaped?

#15028 - 06/22/12 01:07 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: Frankenhawk]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

I guess it's true that you can't make a pie-shaped track without pi.

#15029 - 06/22/12 01:30 PM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Loc: TJ's Fanny Pack
Did someone say PI?

#15030 - 07/01/12 10:18 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: oreadical]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

So delicious.

#15031 - 07/01/12 10:22 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: oreadical]
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Loc: Cygnus X-1

#15032 - 07/01/12 10:43 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: KU76erfan]
WisconsinJayhawk Offline
Rhubarber of Seville

#15033 - 07/01/12 10:51 AM Re: Removing the track from Memorial Stadium? [Re: WisconsinJayhawk]
KU76erfan Offline
Better than Liberace

Loc: Cygnus X-1
Take it easy, Higgy baby.

#15034 - 10/11/12 09:59 AM Rock Chalk Park [Re: Frankenhawk]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Town Talk

KU facilities proposed to be built as part of the first phase of the project include: a track and field stadium with 7,500 permanent seats and 2,500 temporary seats; a soccer field with 2,500 seats; and a softball field with 1,000 seats.

The article also discusses other plans, including a 40,000-square foot arena, a 4,000 seat amphitheater, the citys 181,000 square foot recreation center/youth fieldhouse, eight tennis courts. Other KU facilities include locker rooms, press boxes, concession areas and other amenities, including a 15,000 square foot, two story training facility.

#15035 - 11/01/12 02:59 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

#15036 - 11/01/12 09:51 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

The image I posted above is an earlier rendition, reported in the LJW on October 12, drafted on October 2. Here is the full-sized image.

6 News, on October 23, reported a revised plan that was drafted October 9:

#15037 - 11/01/12 10:23 PM Re: Rock Chalk Park [Re: oreadical]
oreadical Offline
Resident Duck

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Preview