Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#2019455 - 08/09/17 03:35 PM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Loc: Lawrence Beer Co.
I don't dislike that specific piece of the stadium.

There are pieces of the stadium that definitely could use some upkeep beyond the pictures. Some of the stains and aging looks cool.

Other stains just make the stadium look old/bad, IMO.

Ready to see the renovations!

Hail to thee our Alma Mater, hail to old KU!

#2019467 - 08/09/17 07:42 PM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Mc to the Pherson
Two things from someone returning to the board after several years away....lamenting the shitshow that KU football had become.

Glad to hear of the renovations. Very much needed, and anyone who states we need to win before we do this, hasn't followed the history of KU on the gridiron at all. Beatty has done well in a full rebuild mode that was necessitated due to the stupidity of Lew "F football" Perkins. My biggest fear is that Beatty will get us to a certain level of respectability, potentially even getting us into a bowl game in the next couple of years, as KSU will definitely take a step back after Snyder packs it in after this season. Then, along comes a program like Baylor, fresh off getting its hands slapped for being too rapey, 2-3 years down the road and says Hey David! We love what you've done with another former doorstop of a program up there in Lawerence, how about you bring your knowledge and connections with Texas high school coaches down here to Waco, where we will pay you 3.5 times as much per year with a five year guarantee?

The other item that we have to look at is, many fewer people are paying for cable and satellite TV (myself excluded). When these guaranteed contracts come up, the amount offered for the Truckstop 10 (or as I prefer Little Tex Ten) will not be enough to keep us a financial major player nationwide. This remodel is to make our entire athletic department more attractive to the B1G, IMHO. There WILL be four 16 team conferences in the new model. Which conference of the SEC, B1G, ACC, PAC, or Truckstop 10 do you honestly think will be eliminated? We [censored] the bed by not having a commisioner that cared about the conference, rather than one whose sole concern was having a revenue loss leader LonghornNetwork. We lost our asses by letting NU, CU, Meth, and aTm slide away to stronger, more stable conferences. The middle of the country is dying. The regions where those other conferences are located are the active growth and technology leaders.

My two cents.
RCJHKU!

#2019470 - 08/09/17 09:47 PM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: KUHawkhead]
Yardbirdbob Offline
Phog Fanatic

Holy crap KUHH, that is some serious negativity you have let build up! Welcome back!

#2019471 - 08/09/17 10:15 PM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: KUHawkhead]
track Online   content
gale sayers

Loc: Topeka,Kansas
Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
Two things from someone returning to the board after several years away....lamenting the shitshow that KU football had become.

Glad to hear of the renovations. Very much needed, and anyone who states we need to win before we do this, hasn't followed the history of KU on the gridiron at all. Beatty has done well in a full rebuild mode that was necessitated due to the stupidity of Lew "F football" Perkins. My biggest fear is that Beatty will get us to a certain level of respectability, potentially even getting us into a bowl game in the next couple of years, as KSU will definitely take a step back after Snyder packs it in after this season. Then, along comes a program like Baylor, fresh off getting its hands slapped for being too rapey, 2-3 years down the road and says Hey David! We love what you've done with another former doorstop of a program up there in Lawerence, how about you bring your knowledge and connections with Texas high school coaches down here to Waco, where we will pay you 3.5 times as much per year with a five year guarantee?

The other item that we have to look at is, many fewer people are paying for cable and satellite TV (myself excluded). When these guaranteed contracts come up, the amount offered for the Truckstop 10 (or as I prefer Little Tex Ten) will not be enough to keep us a financial major player nationwide. This remodel is to make our entire athletic department more attractive to the B1G, IMHO. There WILL be four 16 team conferences in the new model. Which conference of the SEC, B1G, ACC, PAC, or Truckstop 10 do you honestly think will be eliminated? We [censored] the bed by not having a commisioner that cared about the conference, rather than one whose sole concern was having a revenue loss leader LonghornNetwork. We lost our asses by letting NU, CU, Meth, and aTm slide away to stronger, more stable conferences. The middle of the country is dying. The regions where those other conferences are located are the active growth and technology leaders.

My two cents.
RCJHKU!

KSU is going to be strong for the next two years. By then we should be respectable in football and be on our way to having a refurbished stadium both which will help us immeasurably when realignment revisits the conference.
I don't think the Big 12 will be around in 10 years.....so we along with the other Big 12 members will need to find a landing spot. As long as the football program is up and running and we have the necessary facilities in place to be a top tier program and the bball program stays strong we should be fine.

#2019473 - 08/10/17 06:39 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: KUHawkhead]
Kman_blue Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: Kansas
They've been farting around with the stadium upgrade in some form or manner for about 8 years now. They've been acting like they're serious for about 5 years now. They're just now making it all concrete and public. I know the popular rumor is that this is all being done to look good to our potential future conference, but I'm not so sure that's true. It sure doesn't hurt if that's indeed what happens in the future, but I think this is being done more so to keep KU in the top 1/5 to 1/4 of athletic departments in the nation. No matter what happens with conference realignment, this needed to be done for the football program and the AD as a whole IMHO.

Also, I don't think there's any chance that coach Beaty would leave KU for Baylor. Baylor doesn't have deep enough pockets to out bid KU for his services if it came to that and with all things being equal or close to it, I just don't see it happening. Going all the way back to his 1st go around at KU, he's consistently brought up how much he's loved Lawrence and maybe more importantly how much his family loves Lawrence. I believe he even brought it up unasked in his 1st in depth interview after the end of his 1st season here as an assistant coach. He even didn't sell his house in Lawrence after the coaching change and he went to Rice. Not saying there's zero chance he'd leave KU for another job in the future but I think it'd take a whole hell of a lot(and not just $$) to make it happen.

As for the future of the conference and realignment-ageddon, I'm a lot less convinced that the future is going to be 4 conferences of 16 teams than it seemed 4 or 5 years ago

#2019478 - 08/10/17 08:43 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: Kman_blue]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Loc: reservation lake, mn
KSU is going to be strong for the next two years. By then we should be respectable in football and be on our way to having a refurbished stadium both which will help us immeasurably when realignment revisits the conference.
I don't think the Big 12 will be around in 10 years.....so we along with the other Big 12 members will need to find a landing spot. As long as the football program is up and running and we have the necessary facilities in place to be a top tier program and the bball program stays strong we should be fine.

that's a reasonable position to take at this point in time. but i couldn't tell you what the weather will be tomorrow much less the state of state and the conference 10 years from now.

i will say that it would be good for the league if ku football returned to some semblance of respectability. we'll see if starts in athens, oh.

#2019479 - 08/10/17 08:52 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: Kman_blue]
KUCO_VOC Offline
KU1980

Loc: Denver, CO
Originally Posted By: Kman_blue
Also, I don't think there's any chance that coach Beaty would leave KU for Baylor. Baylor doesn't have deep enough pockets to out bid KU for his services if it came to that and with all things being equal or close to it, I just don't see it happening. Going all the way back to his 1st go around at KU, he's consistently brought up how much he's loved Lawrence and maybe more importantly how much his family loves Lawrence. I believe he even brought it up unasked in his 1st in depth interview after the end of his 1st season here as an assistant coach. He even didn't sell his house in Lawrence after the coaching change and he went to Rice. Not saying there's zero chance he'd leave KU for another job in the future but I think it'd take a whole hell of a lot(and not just $$) to make it happen.
Nooooooooo! There's always a chance we can snag a HC who can do on-field coaching.

#2019481 - 08/10/17 08:58 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: tmcats
we'll see if starts in athens, oh.

Since we don't know the weather tomorrow, I wouldn't concern myself with that.

Gotta stay healthy and get past fall practices, SEMO, and CMU before we start worrying about Athens, Ohio.

#2019482 - 08/10/17 09:41 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

athens should be ku's first actual test though. the other two are in lawrence where ku is expected to win, a blow out v. semo and by 10-14 v. cmu.

but frankie will be waiting with his really fine program. always thought he would have made a solid hire for ku and several other schools, including nebraska. ha.

#2019483 - 08/10/17 10:06 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

It seems hypocritical that you essentially post that you can't see the future, but you then suggest what should happen with the outcome of our season's first two games and when our first test is.

#2019484 - 08/10/17 10:20 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
tmcats Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Originally Posted By: dgless21
It seems hypocritical that you essentially post that you can't see the future, but you then suggest what should happen with the outcome of our season's first two games and when our first test is.

i wrote i could not see the conference makeup 10 years forward.

#2019485 - 08/10/17 10:26 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

I wasn't meaning Baylor specifically, but any number of other programs located in Texas.

I dont claim to see the future, but I will be shocked if the Little Tex Ten is here ten years down the road.

Im excited to see a couple games this season. It's been too long, I haven't had the rage build up of screaming at other teams in Memorial for far too long.

RCJHKU!

#2019488 - 08/10/17 10:35 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: tmcats]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: tmcats
Originally Posted By: dgless21

i wrote i could not see the conference makeup 10 years forward.

You also said you couldn't predict the weather tomorrow...

So you can't predict tomorrow or ten years from now, but you got KU football predicted a month or so from now. Got it.

#2019489 - 08/10/17 10:42 AM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: KUHawkhead]
dgless21 Online   mad
Local Deity

Originally Posted By: KUHawkhead
I wasn't meaning Baylor specifically, but any number of other programs located in Texas.

I dont claim to see the future, but I will be shocked if the Little Tex Ten is here ten years down the road.

Im excited to see a couple games this season. It's been too long, I haven't had the rage build up of screaming at other teams in Memorial for far too long.

RCJHKU!

I wouldn't be shocked (or overly disappointed) if it was a TCU or UT job offer. TCU is in Dallas where Beaty has MANY connections, and UT has too much history, money, and prestige to turn down. Couldn't see him going to Tech or Baylor, personally. On the bright side, I couldn't see either of TCU or UT offering him unless KU becomes GOOD.

Which games you coming up for, Hawkhead?

#2019497 - 08/10/17 04:41 PM Re: Memorial Stadium [Re: dgless21]
KUHawkhead Offline
Wilt Chamberlain

Would like to come come to OU maybe KSU. I need to text a friend of mine I used to go to games with and see if he has any extra tickets.

Page 13 of 15 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 >

Preview